Ftf Prizes

backpackermt10

im still some what new to geocaching so its gotta be expected that im gonna have some pretty basic questions. it would be really great if i could get some one to explain to me what exactly an FTF prize is? are FTF prizes any different than any other prize that you'd get from a cache?

:mad:

Edited by backpackermt10

An FTF prize is placed for the First To Find the cache. These items are better than the usual swag placed in a cache, typically having monetary value. Maybe a gift certificate, money, or tool a geocacher might find useful. One might also find an FTF certificate for marking the accomplishment.

Edited by geognerd

I've only picked up a few FTFs :mad: .

Among the FTF prizes I have come across:

Money (up to $5); Indian head coins; certificate to local pizzerias; travel bug tags; ready to go camo'd cache containers; geocoins; or the generic FTF-gets-pick-of-the-litter.

An FTF prize is optional; so, don't feel obligated to place one and don't assume you can take something as an FTF prize unless the cache description explicitly states so.

What Geognerd said is spot on, the only thing I'd add is that usually a FTF prize is just that, a prize, whereas the rest of the items are trade items.

In otherwords, if you take something from a cache, you are supposed to put something of equal or better value in the cache, but if it is the FTF prize you can just take that.

Of course, I'd still leave something....if I was ever FTF....and if anyone in my area ever hid caches large enough for trade items :mad:

Yep, the cache page usually says if there is a FTF prize but, if not, it may also be indicated on the item itself. As stated above the FTF prize is NOT a trade item. It is a PRIZE for you to keep without trading for it.

If you are unsure about the status of an item (whether or not it is a FTF prize) and the log has already been signed, chances are good that any FTF prize is already gone. Having said that, I have left the FTF prize for the next finder. One FTF prize I found was a nice 3 flashlight set. I already had a very nice 1 watt LED flashlight so I left the FTF prize for another finder. I also noted it in the log so there would be no confusion. I've also found caches where there was simply a FTF certificate which can be a collectable item but has no intrinsic value.

If I place a micro cache I tend to leave a gold dollar as FTF prize. Larger caches I leave a larger (and more expensive) prize in for the FTF. There is no requirement of a FTF prize or expectation that there will be one in a cache. It's just something that folks do sometimes.

also, as a side note. If you are not the FTF for the cache, and you are going through the swag, and there is an item, that's marked with a sharpie "FTF" (or however, but you just kinda think - "hey, this is the FTF prize"), you can now feel free to treat it like any other swag - trade even or trade up. it is no longer a prize - you should trade for it, but it is now tradeable. Sometimes you don't want/need the FTF prize, sometimes you just miss it in the cache! <_< but, if you see other logs in the book, and there's a FTF prize that you want to trade for, go ahead - they already had their chance.

!Thanks alot!     

Now that I know what an FTF prize is I'm gonna try to be one of the first people to find caches in my area all the time.

!Geocaching just gets more and more exciting everyday!

<_<

Just so you aren't disappointed you should be aware that most caches don't have FTF prizes

Definately. MOST caches do NOT cotain a FTF prize. You shouldn't expect one - treat it as a cool surprise if there is one.

Here in Denmark we usually don't leave money in caches, but mostly we leave some sort of FTF certificate.

The FTFC can be a drawing the kids made or a laminated photo, or a more elaborate laminated paper certificate, and depending on the area where the cache is placed there can be many cachers trying for it, especially if it is a normal cache.

It is so exspected that it's usually noted in the online log if there's no FTFC.

Sometimes the cacheowner also makes STF and TTF (Second To Find, Third To Find) certificates.

My latest FTFC (of the 5 I have) was picked up at 9.15 PM with the help of my trusty flashlight <_<

ProsperoDK/René

When we put out our first cache we included 3 scratch off lottery tickets for the first three finders. We noted on the cache page what they were for. I don't know if anyone won any money from them. Only one person logged that they tried and said they did not win.

We've been thinking about some other items for the next time. The lottery tickets were so easy to get and put in the cache though.

my daughter and I made a cache that was geared towards family with kids, we wanted to put something extra special for a ftf so I let her pick out anything in the store and she picked out a wooden flower. The people that found it thought it was so neat, and it happened to be their 2 anniversary, so it made them real happy to get a flower from a 3 year old stranger, and that it was real cute!!! they thought that it was also neat because it was different than the usual money and lotto ticket it made something to remember as a memento!! but money is!! always !! nice !!!

my daughter and I made a cache that was geared towards family with kids, we wanted to put something extra special for a ftf so I let her pick out anything in the store and she picked out a wooden flower. The people that found it thought it was so neat, and it happened to be their 2 anniversary, so it made them real happy to get a flower from a 3 year old stranger, and that it was real cute!!! they thought that it was also neat because it was different than the usual money and lotto ticket it made something to remember as a memento!! but money is!! always !! nice !!!

my kids and some of their friends are going to make a few caches in our area and we were thinking of FTF prizes. I looked into Wooden Nickals, Golf tees or markers , something we could have thier cache name and thier caching names on. All were to expencive.

What we came up with is jumbo popcical sticks, embelished with little things like jewels, stikers and other little wooden things like stars, flowers ect. They can put their cache name and names on these. We are going to use pop mini pop sticks for attaching to some of the stuff they put in the cache or on to TB.

We feel that a FTF prize should that a prize, and what better prize to a parent or grandparent or to anyone who loves kids then a hand made boggle.

happy Caching