Placing A Cache Under A Railroad Bridge

3Caballeros

There's a really great old Railroad Bridge near my house and I want to place a cache underneth. Is it OK, since definately more than 150' to walk to the tracks even thought the cache would be somewhere under the structure? The railroad is still active, but it's only used for slow frieght. I'm afraid if I move it away from the bridge then I'll be in someone's property. See image: UnitedRRBowers32.jpg Any ideas?

Even though the RR is elevated, the odds are they own the property underneath. RR's are very, very protective of their property rights and the answer from Groundspeak would be "No". The only way to have a cache there would be with permission from the RR.

Also this is a bad location for another reason in that the RR would be considered a "High Risk" target and for that reason the answer would be no.

200' away would be a much better location. You still see the bridge and can investigate if you wish.

Hello cabs.

Don't do it!!! Scan through this forum and look for the the words "bomb scare" and "cache blown up by bomb squad". When the search feature returns you can find these topics easily.

Containers at the base of active railroad bridges, if found by muggles or the rr bridge inspection crew, might just cause more problems than you'd ever want to have .

It probably would not be 'reviewed in the affirmative' even though you would not ever place it in a dangereous spot there . . . someone MAY search where you did not place the cache and be injured - maybe by climbing or by a train.

You & gc.com do not really want or need this risk and pain . . . BUT, great location to bring us near to with a multi-stage or cache nearby.

First you should read this article. Its very sensationalized but makes a very good point. Then as others have suggested, you do not need to place the cache directly below the bridge. If I was out caching and saw that bridge in the distance I would definitely go check it out. If you want to make sure they see the bridge set up a multi-cache where the most logical route from cache to cache in the multi takes you under the bridge.

Thanks for all the well-thought-out feedback, this is an awesome community! I will go back to the area and search for a more suitable location where the GC'r will still benefit from the view.

Thanks again!

Might I say Brian, you have one cool website!

Talk about being a Railfan :D . Here in SoCal we have a cache located near a Curved Trestle bridge, that is high on my to do list.

I think your best bet is to make the cache a multi.

I know you found another place, but I wanted to comment on the original idea... Is there parking anywhere near there? I'm sure it is a little used road, but looking at that road, I would, personally, be reluctant to walk 100 yards or more down it to get to the tracks themselves. I love the view though :ph34r:

2. I play the viola. Violas rock! Not sure what it has to do with your cache, though.

So do both my sisters. You know how you can tell the difference between a viola and an accordion?

The viola burns better. :ph34r:

But back on the topic: it's good to see somebody being clever about figuring out how to place a cache that conforms to the guidelines, rather than just complaining about it.