Thrill Of The Hide

I just placed my third cache, One-Dollar Wonders. It got approved last night, and I find myself checking the page every hour or so just to see if it's been found yet. I am brimming with excitement over the potential logs.

• Who will be FTF?
  • Will they like the cache?
  • When will they find it?
  • When will soandso find it?

etc, etc.

After 100 finds and 3 hides, I am starting to feel like hiding is more fun than searching. My general mood since walking away from the placement yesterday is elated.

To all you veteran hiders, I hope that if you feel the same way, and that the feeling is always there, no matter how many hides you've done!

-BWT

We too have just a few hides (11). But I always get excited when someone finds it. Especially if it is one of our evil hides, I love when people find those. I have been known to call my husband at work and tell him.

But on the other hand when I get an owner email and all I see is "tftc" I get disappointed, they could of wrote something....

I have plans in the works for 2 more hides and one is a puzzle, I can't wait to finish them.

I also get pretty excited about my hides. I live in an area where there are very few active geocachers, and even those people are not as rabid as I am when it comes to FTFs. One recent cache that I placed in November was only 18 miles from town, and it sat there for almost two months before, finally, somebody who lives 200 miles away was passing through and got FTF. I never know who will find my caches, but I always enjoy waiting (and waiting and waiting) for that email notification that somebody has finally found one.

With 53 active hides, I look forward to reading the "found it" logs. Nothing is more rewarding to me as a cacher, then reading the logs of cachers whom I exceeded their expectations, or provided quality entertainment.

The hiding bug, is just as much fun as the finding bug.

Edited by Kit Fox

We don't have even close to 100 finds but I also enjoy the one hide we have out. I'm finding that maybe I missed my target audience with the swag I stocked it.

It is rural Nevada and I noticed there aren't many caches along this route although it has a fair amount of traffic. I stocked it mostly with new kids toys and stuff like that and made it very easy. Short of a wheel chair, this is accessible to everyone even if towing a trailer. I figured since we cache on trips to provide a leg stretch and entertainment for my 5 year old son, that a lot of other people probably do the same. It's been found three times and every time it's a TNLN or TN left toy.

That said, It's still nice to think I got someone out of their car for even a few minutes on a long trip.

I notice that I am more descriptive in my find posts since hiding too because I realize that someone is probably taking the time to read the post.

We are actively searching for another spot for another hide but that will probably need to wait for spring thaw.

I also get pretty excited about my hides. I live in an area where there are very few active geocachers, and even those people are not as rabid as I am when it comes to FTFs. One recent cache that I placed in November was only 18 miles from town, and it sat there for almost two months before, finally, somebody who lives 200 miles away was passing through and got FTF. I never know who will find my caches, but I always enjoy waiting (and waiting and waiting) for that email notification that somebody has finally found one.

I can't even imagine a cache going 2 months without a finder around here! :)

I usually just go out and sit by the cache after it's been published. I set up my lawn chair and portable TV and wait.

I like to meet the finders in person. Mostly this freaks people out, but it's more fun than waiting for them to return home and log it.

I can see the first log on your page. "DNF. I was tring to get the FTF but this hugh jazz guy was staking out the area. Didn't want it muggled so, I'll try again latter."

I just placed my third cache, One-Dollar Wonders. It got approved last night, and I find myself checking the page every hour or so just to see if it's been found yet.

Most of my caches, I hide to show someone a very pretty area. The problem is finding more pretty places to show people. When I find one, I'll put a cache there. Got one that's been out a year and a half that has only had five finds. Hey, people, you're missing a beautiful area.

Geocaching will notify you when someone logs your cache.

We place bets on who will be FTF. Depends on the type and location. We've got some major FTF addicts around here. (Though I did beat one of them by twenty minutes once... :) ) I was quite surprised on the FTFs on my last one. Four finds in the forst two weeks, and none since. Not expecting a lot of finds on that one. But it's a great cache.

usually their are 5 finds in the first day if it is one that is easy to get to. I used to have a film can in a tree next to a somewhat major road. In the matter of I guess 10 hours 5 finds were there. WOW!

I also generally like hiding more than finding, especially hiding those trick ones. On my cache that is waiting to be approved I put some leaves and sticks to make it look like a cache site.

I just placed a multi cache and I can see both legs of it from my house. I'm looking forward to watching people come hunt for it. I've found most of the caches in town and I can not afford to drive all over the place to look for new caches. So I am contenting myself with placing caches while walking around town.

I've got a cache that I can see from my back door too. :D

I've only hidden one cache but I'm still a newbie. I'm going to hide my second cache this weekend, though. Initially, I will probably hide one cache to every 25 I find. Later on, I'm sure I will hide at a greater frequency. For now, I'm still learning. I have really enjoyed the logs and emails I've received about my first cache !

I love to hide. cool.gif

But I hate to maintain. dry.gif

So, I don't get to hide as much as I'd like.

I enjoy checking on caches - at least I enjoy checking on most of what I own. If I don't like getting back to one, I'm likely to archive it if it's got trouble, and wonder what I was thinking when I placed it.