Where Can I Release Geocoins?

YodaDoe

I've had my head in the sand, finishing a masters degree. So I missed out on the Geocoin revolution. At the moment, I'm not interested in collecting them, but in actually circulating them as TB's, like we used to do. However, it's become clear to me that this won't happen on this continent.

So, can anyone here tell me where I might release some geocoins so that they will circulate with less chance of being kept by someone? Someone I know in Australia tells me that they still move them down there. I'm also considering sending some to my brother in England. Thanks for the help!

John "YodaDoe" Davis

Raleigh, NC

I've had my head in the sand, finishing a masters degree. So I missed out on the Geocoin revolution. At the moment, I'm not interested in collecting them, but in actually circulating them as TB's, like we used to do. However, it's become clear to me that this won't happen on this continent.

John "YodaDoe" Davis

Raleigh, NC

Well this isn't exactly true, check out THIS THREAD for more details.

I've released a number of geocoins lately. Some I placed in local caches and others I shipped to cachers in europe who expressed a willingness to drop coins off there. For the coins I've dropped, the packaging has evolved to that shown in the picture. My coins haven't been out long enough to know how well this will work, but it seemed to be a simple way to identify the coin and keep its mission together with it. The mission sheet is simply printed, folded over, laminated, then placed in the top half of a plastic coin flip or piece cut from a plastic 2x2 holder sheet.

example.jpg

So, can anyone here tell me where I might release some geocoins so that they will circulate with less chance of being kept by someone? Someone I know in Australia tells me that they still move them down there. I'm also considering sending some to my brother in England. Thanks for the help!

John "YodaDoe" Davis

Raleigh, NC

Well we still wave old glory down at the Courthose,White lightning.wooops.

Coins are still moving in Missouri maybe slow but they are moving.

Send some down this way and I will make shure the get placed in caches and move.

We have several grand events coming up too.

I've released about 10 of my activated coins so far. Many have already travelled to a number of caches.

I've also dropped a couple unactivated coins. I don't expect them to travel past the first person to see them in a cache.

Once a coin gets a few miles in it's logs I think it's more likely to continue moving around, especially if it's more of a common coin.

There are obviously exceptions to this rule. Some coins are so rare or valuable that they disappear moments after they're removed from a cache. I call this the "Moun10bike Moment".

I've released about 15 coins into the wild. My German geocoin immediately disappeared. It looks like my "Not Another Micro" has also disappeared. The others seem to be doing pretty well so far. My biggest pet peeve in geocaching is when idiots steal geocoins or regular travel bugs. But my fear of losing them to a low-life thief is outweighed by the happiness of the cachers that find unusual coins. :huh:

I recently released 4 MD coins in the wild (in Arizona, Arkansas, U.S. Virgin Islands, New Jersey) and I included a note similar to tokencollector's note. I chose not to deface the coins because I didn't think it would stop someone who really wanted it, and I just couldn't bring myself to do that. So far, they are all moving well, one of which has almost 9000 miles on it!

I think Finland and other areas of Europe have had good results. But I'd still cut a hole in it...

Locally I've had mixed results. Of six released, two disappeared right away, and another traveled out about 100 miles then seems to have dropped off the planet :lol:. Maybe I should pick harder caches to start them in?