Results Of Posting In The Forums

tossedsalad

I opened a thread to honestly debate a topic that I wanted some advice on. I got a few useful comments on both sides of the issue and some insight that I did not have before. But I also got a lot of ill will accusing me of "ratting" out a cache. I was even called a "narc". That is a very odd term to use since it is used as a perjorative, but only by the druggies.

I even put in my initial post that I was concerned about "the ire of the local community" and one reply was that I should "Give them more credit". Well, I will give the forum community credit for fully meeting my expectations. I just received notice that one of my road side caches has had an SBA filed on it. Of course any cache can have an SBA filed, but this is clearly a personal issue having nothing to do with the cache. The cacher who filed the SBA has no finds or hides and was only registered as of today. Obviouly this account was created to allow a cacher who likely has never seen this cache to file the SBA anonymously, most likely a result of my trying to discuss the issue in these forums.

It all comes back to the fact that this may be a forum of cachers, but it is still a forum on the internet.

Edited by tossedsalad

As one of the reviewers who receives copies of all SBA's worldwide, I see no basis for the SBA other than harrassment. The cache owner should feel free to write to Groundspeak to ask them to look into the account that logged this note. You should not worry about your cache being summarily archived, unless there are other issues with it which are not apparent from the cache page. Reviewers are, unfortunately, quite accustomed to reading bogus or retaliatory SBA logs, including logs from sock puppets. We do pay attention to the "real" ones.

I appreciated being drawn to the cache page in question. The cache features a type of object that I like to watch out for while traveling. I will make a point of visiting the cache the next time I drive through Maryland.

It is one thing to have differences of opinion in the forums. That is what they are there for. Such differences should not affect a geocache that has absolutely nothing to do with the issue under discussion.

While this is a place we can all share our thoughts, feelings, questions, etc...There will come a time when something out right stupid gets posted and then everyone else flames the person who started it.

Tossedsalad- you did open up a topic that did have a good question, which I believe about TN and placement of caches in parks or something. After reading over the thread a few times I can understand how some things that were said could be confusing and hopefully all your questions got answered and worked out.

Now, love'em or hate'em personally logging a SBA note with a new account is pretty low if your going to disagree with someone have the gusto to do it in a forum and not some lame "girl slap" of a SBA note.

Keystone- I am glad to see your statement about this whole situation and it should show to everyone GC.com does take situations like this seriously.

I've made statements that I have gotten flamed for and it happens, sadly someone took the issue with TS a little too personal.

Sorry to hear that it happened.

All,

The offending SBA has been deleted from the cache listing. The owner of the caches that tossedsalad referenced in the previous thread was not the one who logged the SBA, so please do not attempt to draw the conclusion that it was.

Thank you.

Sorry, Quiggle, my intent wasn't to conclude that the owner of those specific caches might be the culprit, and I apologize that it appeared that way.

Rather -- having seen it raised in flames at other times -- I meant to suggest that a very generic someone might have felt that OP was trying to play cache cop and decided to turn the tables.

Just for the record, I never for a moment suspected the owner of the cache in question as the one who posted the SBA. I have not met him, but I know he is far above such nonsense.

It is not the bogus SBA that bothers me. I had no doubt that it would be ignored. What bothers me is that so many people felt I should not have even addressed the issue or contacted the police just to ask what they thought.

When I started caching, I really liked the community and being able to share caching with so many others. But I don't feel that way anymore. There are just too many negative people here.

When I started caching, I really liked the community and being able to share caching with so many others. But I don't feel that way anymore. There are just too many negative people here.

You're apparently confusing the forums with the geocaching community. That's kind of like confusing society with talk radio and editorial pages.

Sometimes you just have to step away from the forums for a while. Most of the times the forums can be fun, but sometimes you just need a break. I took about 2 months off from the forums because they just were'nt fun for a while. Just about everyone I've met out in the field or at events has been great. You have to keep the two seperate though. :unsure:

Just for the record, I never for a moment suspected the owner of the cache in question as the one who posted the SBA. I have not met him, but I know he is far above such nonsense.

It is not the bogus SBA that bothers me. I had no doubt that it would be ignored. What bothers me is that so many people felt I should not have even addressed the issue or contacted the police just to ask what they thought.

If you had brought the issue up with cachers without going to the police, you would have had a notably different result in these forums.

Just for the record, I never for a moment suspected the owner of the cache in question as the one who posted the SBA.  I have not met him, but I know he is far above such nonsense. 

It is not the bogus SBA that bothers me.  I had no doubt that it would be ignored.  What bothers me is that so many people felt I should not have even addressed the issue or contacted the police just to ask what they thought. 

When I started caching, I really liked the community and being able to share caching with so many others.  But I don't feel that way anymore.  There are just too many negative people here.

If you had brought the issue up with cachers without going to the police, you would have had a notably different result in these forums.

I agree. Whatever the merits of the discussion are, I think your comments were, and continue to be, intentionally provocative and passive-aggressive. You are obviously getting some pleasure out of the commotion you've stirred up. If this were an NFL game, you'd get penalized 15 yards for taunting. The "player" who slapped you up side the head would have gotten ejected from the game.

As one of the reviewers who receives copies of all SBA's worldwide, I see no basis for the SBA other than harrassment.  The cache owner should feel free to write to Groundspeak to ask them to look into the account that logged this note.  You should not worry about your cache being summarily archived, unless there are other issues with it which are not apparent from the cache page.  Reviewers are, unfortunately, quite accustomed to reading bogus or retaliatory SBA logs, including logs from sock puppets.  We do pay attention to the "real" ones.

I appreciated being drawn to the cache page in question.  The cache features a type of object that I like to watch out for while traveling.  I will make a point of visiting the cache the next time I drive through Maryland.

It is one thing to have differences of opinion in the forums.  That is what they are there for.  Such differences should not affect a geocache that has absolutely nothing to do with the issue under discussion.

I agree strongly with Keystone. In any case, any reviewer who sees an SBA filed on a cache by a new cacher with zero or few finds and no history in the geo community, will quickly come to the conclusion -- as would most observers -- that the SBA was filed by someone using a sock puppet account, likely with an axe to grind and a childish (and hostile) way of going about it. I doubt that any reviewer in the world would take such an SBA seriously. Personally, I hope that geocaching.com tracks the IP address of the sock puppet account and deals with the person appropriately for acting like a pouty child.

As the owner of the cache or caches which Tossed had mentioned in his earlier-referenced thread (which I discovered only after it had been closed, as I had spent the day in Baltimore scouting out slimy sludge pits in unremediated Superfund toxic waste dumps for a hide), I feel strongly enough about recent events that my heart impels me to say the following:

• While I may personally disagree with one or two of Tossed's tactics as disclosed in his original post, I believe he was simply trying to start a dialogue to ensure that certain standards are kept in the geo community. I applaud and support the sincere act of working to ensure that appropriate and ethical standards are maintained in the geo community. I try to do the same in this community.
  • As those of you who know me may already know, I have near-zero patience and tolerance for people who play childish and hostile games such as that employed by the owner of the sock puppet account who filed the spurious SBA on Tossed's cache.
  • As those of you who know me may already know, I have near-zero patience and tolerance for people who engage in ANY play childish and hostile games such as retaliation and "getting even", and I strongly request that anyone who felt annoyed by Tossed's original thread deal with their own feelings in an adult manner, and, if needed, engage in a friendly dialogue with Tossed to explore your differences.
  • Sue and I (and our beagle Toby and our ducks Peter Duck and Annie Duck and my darling hen Samantha) have only the highest regard and respect for TossedSalad and most of his hides (we brought personally to Tossed's attention a few weeks ago his only cache placement which appeared questionable to us, and that matter has since been handled appropriately by Tossed and the reviewers) and we eagerly look forward to seeing his upcoming hides (particulalry Point 32 Zero.)
  • I believe strongly that we all have the right to disagree on any number of subjects, and that we can accept those differences of opinion in peace, and that we can unconditionally love each other (well, except for Auntie Weasel, who seems entirely incorrigible and unlovable :unsure::anibad: ) and appreciate each other despite those minor differences of opinion. In fact, as a former psychotherapist and as someone who wears a part-time hat as a healer and a counselor, I will go a step further and assert that I believe that it is those differences (i.e., of opinion, of preferences, of lifestyle) which give life flavor and which give flavor to our relationships. Life, and our friendships as well, would be pretty boring and sterile and empty if all of our friends and acquaintances had the same opinions as we did.
  • I am dismayed by the immaturity shown by a few members of this community in responding to TossedSalad's recent (now closed) thread about our Psycho cache series, as evidenced in their behavior toward him. I disapprove of such hostile and immature behavior strongly.
  • Sue and I continue to support TossedSalad's work and presence in the geo community and ask -- no, demand -- that the silly and hostile "retaliatory" attacks against him stop. The earlier-referenced thread about one of our cache series is a non-issue to us, and does not at all interfere with nor occlude our respect for TossedSalad.
  • In fact, largely because of the recent minor furor on this forum and in local circles about related matters, and because Tossed remains one of the few local cachers whom I have not yet met (local cachers seem to work very hard to avoid meeting me, and I can hardly blame them :P:lol: ), I made a note to myself last nite at bedtime to send an e-mail to TossedSalad today to invite him to share dinner with me at one of Frederick's many fine restaurants (personally, I am hoping for the new Middle Eastern joint or an Asian buffet, but the Salvadorean restaurant sounds good as well!). And, I will be sending that e-mail today. However, I wish to make clear that I wish to invite Tossed to dinner only to get to know him better; I have NO need and no desire to modify the fact that we may happen to have differences of opinion about the appropriateness of some geocaches. As noted above, I appreciate and much enjoy such differences of opinion and do not need to "fix" them, nor to convert others to my point of view!

Thank you for having had the patience to read my very long post above!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team
As one of the reviewers who receives copies of all SBA's worldwide, I see no basis for the SBA other than harrassment.  The cache owner should feel free to write to Groundspeak to ask them to look into the account that logged this note.  You should not worry about your cache being summarily archived, unless there are other issues with it which are not apparent from the cache page.  Reviewers are, unfortunately, quite accustomed to reading bogus or retaliatory SBA logs, including logs from sock puppets.  We do pay attention to the "real" ones.

I appreciated being drawn to the cache page in question.  The cache features a type of object that I like to watch out for while traveling.  I will make a point of visiting the cache the next time I drive through Maryland.

It is one thing to have differences of opinion in the forums.  That is what they are there for.  Such differences should not affect a geocache that has absolutely nothing to do with the issue under discussion.

I agree strongly with Keystone. In any case, any reviewer who sees an SBA filed on a cache by a new cacher with zero or few finds and no history in the geo community, will quickly come to the conclusion -- as would most observers -- that the SBA was filed by someone using a sock puppet account, likely with an axe to grind and a childish (and hostile) way of going about it. I doubt that any reviewer in the world would take such an SBA seriously. Personally, I hope that geocaching.com tracks the IP address of the sock puppet account and deals with the person appropriately for acting like a pouty child.

As the owner of the cache or caches which Tossed had mentioned in his earlier-referenced thread (which I discovered only after it had been closed, as I had spent the day in Baltimore scouting out slimy sludge pits in unremediated Superfund toxic waste dumps for a hide), I feel strongly enough about recent events that my heart impels me to say the following:

• While I may personally disagree with one or two of Tossed's tactics as disclosed in his original post, I believe he was simply trying to start a dialogue to ensure that certain standards are kept in the geo community. I applaud and support the sincere act of working to ensure that appropriate and ethical standards are maintained in the geo community. I try to do the same in this community.
  • As those of you who know me may already know, I have near-zero patience and tolerance for people who play childish and hostile games such as that employed by the owner of the sock puppet account who filed the spurious SBA on Tossed's cache.
  • As those of you who know me may already know, I have near-zero patience and tolerance for people who engage in ANY play childish and hostile games such as retaliation and "getting even", and I strongly request that anyone who felt annoyed by Tossed's original thread deal with their own feelings in an adult manner, and, if needed, engage in a friendly dialogue with Tossed to explore your differences.
  • Sue and I (and our beagle Toby and our ducks Peter Duck and Annie Duck and my darling hen Samantha) have only the highest regard and respect for TossedSalad and most of his hides (we brought personally to Tossed's attention a few weeks ago his only cache placement which appeared questionable to us, and that matter has since been handled appropriately by Tossed and the reviewers) and we eagerly look forward to seeing his upcoming hides (particulalry Point 32 Zero.)
  • I believe strongly that we all have the right to disagree on any number of subjects, and that we can accept those differences of opinion in peace, and that we can unconditionally love each other (well, except for Auntie Weasel, who seems entirely incorrigible and unlovable :unsure::P ) and appreciate each other despite those minor differences of opinion. In fact, as a former psychotherapist and as someone who wears a part-time hat as a healer and a counselor, I will go a step further and assert that I believe that it is those differences (i.e., of opinion, of preferences, of lifestyle) which give life flavor and which give flavor to our relationships. Life, and our friendships as well, would be pretty boring and sterile and empty if all of our friends and acquaintances had the same opinions as we did.
  • I am dismayed by the immaturity shown by a few members of this community in responding to TossedSalad's recent (now closed) thread about our Psycho cache series, as evidenced in their behavior toward him. I disapprove of such hostile and immature behavior strongly.
  • Sue and I continue to support TossedSalad's work and presence in the geo community and ask -- no, demand -- that the silly and hostile "retaliatory" attacks against him stop. The earlier-referenced thread about one of our cache series is a non-issue to us, and does not at all interfere with nor occlude our respect for TossedSalad.
  • In fact, largely because of the recent minor furor on this forum and in local circles about related matters, and because Tossed remains one of the few local cachers whom I have not yet met (local cachers seem to work very hard to avoid meeting me, and I can hardly blame them :lol::anibad: ), I made a note to myself last nite at bedtime to send an e-mail to TossedSalad today to invite him to share dinner with me at one of Frederick's many fine restaurants (personally, I am hoping for the new Middle Eastern joint or an Asian buffet, but the Salvadorean restaurant sounds good as well!). And, I will be sending that e-mail today. However, I wish to make clear that I wish to invite Tossed to dinner only to get to know him better; I have NO need and no desire to modify the fact that we may happen to have differences of opinion about the appropriateness of some geocaches. As noted above, I appreciate and much enjoy such differences of opinion and do not need to "fix" them, nor to convert others to my point of view!

Thank you for having had the patience to read my very long post above!

Wow, this may go down as the most civil responce from a cache owner in history when questioned about a possible problem with a cache hide :P

Wow, this may go down as the most civil responce from a cache owner in history when questioned about a possible problem with a cache hide  :unsure:

Yeah. I hate it when people are all mature and grown up about stuff.

Well, I hate it when Auntie Weasel sends posts to any forums to which I belong, because frankly, she scares me big time! She is the only person I have ever met who might be weirder than me! :P;):P:lol::anibad::P

After reading the previous (now locked) thread, and especially one of the last posts before it was locked, my impression was that TS called in the cops and started these threads in retaliation for an SBA being posted on one of his own caches. Now the poo sandwich is being served by and to cachers outside of their little spat.