Headlamps?

(Jeep).P.S.

I always carry at least one headlamp while caching; if you're caching in the dark, having both hands free is a big plus. I agree that you can never go wrong with a Petzl; I have a Tikka Plus (4-lamp model) that has certainly come in handy many times, and I've come to appreciate its durability after having dropped it, sat on it, etc., countless times.

However, if you're budget-minded, you can find some very decent headlamps for more reasonable prices. For example, I picked up a couple 3-in-1 Rayovac headlamps at Wal-Mart for $12 or $13 apiece a couple months back. I actually prefer using the Rayovac model over the Petzl model for night hikes because it has a red LED which helps me retain my night-vision.

I have a Petzel Tikka Plus. Its OK but its LED. That means its lightweight and batteries last forever, but it also means that it doesn't have a focusable beam. It delivers more of a warm glow to the area so I still have to carry a handheld flashlight with a traditional bulb for when I need a beam. Petzel does make a hybrid one with both a LED light and a traditional beam with a xenon bulb, but its not cheap so its on my "someday" list.

Edited by briansnat
Have not found a need for a headlamp, although they would be very useful while in the woods in the dark. I simply use a 5 "C" cell maglight, it's almost big enough to use as a walking stick and suits my needs quite well.

I do exactly what BrianSnat does... an LED headlamp PLUS a handheld flashlight.

So why am I quoting bogleman's post? C'mon, you hide terrific caches out in the woods. I was scared away from bushwacking to one of them, because I realized that prior planning was needed instead of plunging into a swamp. Have you not hunted caches like that at night? I learned a lesson very quickly when I got hooked on night caching. Using just a traditional flashlight, I found that I was always using it to pick out a trail ahead of me, and at ground zero, to search for likely hiding places. In the meantime, I wasn't paying enough attention to the space within a few feet of my head. The result was that I walked into a lot of low-hanging tree branches and got attacked by a few too many man-eating thorn bushes.

Then, I bought my headlamp. Now, the area right around me is lit up with a warm glow, so that I don't bump into anything while walking in an area with a lot of ground cover and trees. Meanwhile, the handheld flashlight does its job to pick out the path. And if I really get stumped, I simply reach into my pack and pull out my secret weapon: The 2,000,000 candlepower LepreSun spotlight. This combination is unbeatable, IMHO.

Princeton Tec EOS

489109.jpg

I swear by this bright focused LED. It has two brightnesses. I prefer headlamps. I don't care what it looks like when I wear it. I always need my hands when I use a flashlight. Even just walking/searching I like the beam tracking/pointing where I'm looking.

P.S.It holds in the hand just fine. The headband doesn't get in the way any more than a lanyard. I don't need a flashlight to be shaped like a stick either.

Edited by leatherman

I have a Petzl Myo3 - bought it at REI on closeout for about $35 (The MyoBelt3 is currently on sale there for about the same price, or was when I checked a couple days ago). The Myo5 is the newer model (5 LEDs instead of 3) but it costs much more. Both the Myo3 and the Myo5 also have a Xenon light for long throw and super brightness, but I usually just use the LEDs since they save juice and cast a great light. I really like the "hands free" aspect of a headlamp, it's great for in rural areas or in a cave. Not so great for urban night caching because you can't turn it on/off quickly enough; I use a cheap little pocket-size LED flashlight for that, since I like the momentary on option. (I don't like to be skulking around urban areas with a headlamp screaming out that I'm there).

So yes, I'd definitely recommend getting a headlamp of some sort, I like my Petzl but there are plenty of other (less expensive) options. The Myo3 like I have is around $30-$35 right now, the Myo5 is closer to $60-$65. The 3 uses AA batts (just like my camera and GPSr) but I'm not sure about the 5. The MyoBelt versions might use C cells, but again, I'm not sure. The Belt versions have a battery pack that attaches to your belt, with a wire running to the lighter head piece. Nice if you do cold weather caching and want to keep your batteries warm, but I think the wire would get in the way and be a nuisance.

Add us to the Petzl Tikka Plus and handheld flashlight group. The handheld is led and provides focussed light into dark hiding spots (like under rocks where I'd perfer my light confront the massasagua rattler and not my hand). The headlamp helps at this time of year when the short days up here and cloudiness can mean it gets dark more quickly than was anticipated. The Petzl is very light and I don't even realize that's there.

JDandDD

I have two... But my absolute favorite is the Zenix by Black Diamond. Mine is the regulated version. I use the one watt LED for walking in dark places and the two 5mm Leds for close up work. The other model I have is a black diamond Gemini. This light is a hybrid with LED and incadescent bulb. It too is a very nice light. But I like the zenix so well that I use it more. I may give the gemini to my dad. To be honest, in this day and age I see no need to go with any incadescent. Just stick with LED.

Get two! You won't be sorry. :D

...And if I really get stumped, I simply reach into my pack and pull out my secret weapon: The 2,000,000 candlepower LepreSun™ spotlight. This combination is unbeatable, IMHO.

My only problem with those BFLs is, my night vision fails me totally (even while using a headlamp) for about two minutes after you turn one off. :o:D

PS: They (headlamps) are invaluable for cooking on a campfire.

Edited by sept1c_tank

I use a Black Diamond Helion, I can switch between the main bulb or 3 LED's. I havnt used for caching yet, but use it alot for night fishing and camping. I rarely need the main bulb since the LED's are so bright, and the batteries last much longer with the LED's. Great lamp for the money.

I have a SureFire G2 that I only use for emergencies since it likes to eat batteries.

I have begun using a headlamp quite by accident. I was working a job where we basically had to have a headlamp attached to our hardhats (like a miner). When working out of town, I wanted to grab some caches after work, and all I had with me for a flashlight was the one on the hard hat. So I wore it. I wish I'd thought of that a long time ago. I'd been caching for a long time with a mini-maglite. This one-watt LED headlamp is a big improvement. Also useful for protection against falling branches and angry squirrels. However, no one's actually caught me wearing a hard hat at night in the woods, so I can't tell you about the negatives.