In Cache Page Pictures Gone

webscouter.

I have done some tests using ethereal to trace what's going on. The difference between tables shown/not shown seems to be in the cookie send in the http GET request.

The difference between tables shown or not shown is immediately clear in the first http reply (200 OK) from gc.com, Content-Length is much lower if tables are missing, so the difference seems to be caused by the GET request sent.

If cookie is not sent (not logged in), tables are shown correctly

If cookie is sent with userid and ASP.NET_SessionId, tables are shown correctly

If cookie is sent with only userid, tables are not shown.

These results match with the experience the problem only occurs if a cache page is requested through an external link.

I used GCRQZ5 for testing via this link.

Responses are coming from 66.150.167.149, which resolves back to www.geocaching.com, so there is no proof of proxies being used.

I have trace files available if Jeremy cs are interested. My location is Europe, The Netherlands and I am using ADSL for Internet access.

I hope this helps to find the problem.

albrt's observations would appear to explain why I am always seeing an incorrectly formatted table when I go straight to this page from a link in the browser URL history list, and a correctly-formatted table when I get there from the "geocaches (mine)" page:

when I go there from a link in the URL history, it's always from a new window, when I'm not logged in yet; the table is not displayed correctly when I get to the page. (I have cookies & "remember me" enabled, so by the time I get there I am logged in, but I wasn't to start with.) When I go there from within my account, I am logged in already, and the table is right.

I just tried opening a new window, going to the gc main page to get logged in, and then went to the cache page from the link in the URL history. This time the page was fine. So it does look like not being logged in beforehand is significant.

(This is very repeatable; every time I try these variations they have consistent results. Note: this happens with IE 6.0, but not with Firefox.)

This may explain why NotThePainter was sometimes having the problem and sometimes not, even though he always goes to the cache pages from a bookmark link (assuming it's a browser bookmark, not a GC Bookmark List bookmark) -- it might depend on whether he was already logged on to the gc site before he clicked the bookmark.

Edited by the hermit crabs

I just tried going to this page from my Netscape bookmark and had no images. I was logged in so I logged out and then logged back in and the images were there.

Edit: As I recall when I was working on my cache mentioned in a previous post Safari failed to show the images and that was the only browser for which I did not have to login and I had cookies set for that one. The others I had to log in.

Edited by WeightMan

That is interesting . . . :antenna:

I use the Opera browser and am always logged in because I keep several pages open all the time.

When I clicked that link, I saw no images at all . . .

Maybe that is why I have such a hard time figuring out puzzle caches. :angry:

Guess I'll log out and see what happens then.

I just tried going to this page from my Netscape bookmark and had no images.  I was logged in so I logged out and then logged back in and the images were there.

I tried clicking on that link from the forums. The pictures were visible (this was with Firefox, my default browser). I then copied the URL, opened an IE window, and (without logging in to gc.com first) pasted the link in -- and there were no pictures on the cache page. (I was automatically logged in when the page came up.) Killed that window, opened a new one, went to the gc.com main page and logged in first, and pasted in the URL again. This time the pictures were visible. This echoes the behavior that I saw earlier.

I just logged out . . . something I haven't done for months . . . and after that, I could see the card pictures on that page. thumbsup.gif

Then I opened Firefox and when I wasn't logged in, I could see the pictures.

After I logged in, I could still see the pictures. :antenna:

Then I had to get logged back onto the site and the Forums. After completing that unfamiliar task, I can still see the pictures using Opera. :angry:

Very, very strange . . . :wub:

The last couple of days I've also experinced the problem. Viewing the source I see most HTML stripped out of the Short & Long Descriptions. If I view the page offline with GSAK I have everything, but online nothing. I haven't tested the logging off/on & links mentioned above - yet.

Edit: forgot to mention: IE 6.0.2 on XP Home.

Edited by The Jester

Well, that answers that question. I don't know if it will help, but I didn't have a cache of my own (or one I could think of) that had both types of images.

Edit to note that I clicked on the link in Netscape 7.2 for Mac and had the background and not the image in the long description. I logged out and then back in and had the blue image.

Edited by WeightMan
Question: Does this only happen to images in the long description or does it also happen to background images?

I clicked on a link to one of my caches that has a background image while logged in, and the image was there.

Same for the link the hermit crabs posted.

Opera 8.5

Windoze 2000

This may explain why NotThePainter was sometimes having the problem and sometimes not, even though he always goes to the cache pages from a bookmark link (assuming it's a browser bookmark, not a GC Bookmark List bookmark) -- it might depend on whether he was already logged on to the gc site before he clicked the bookmark.

I'm always logged in. Even if I want to use my sock puppet I fire up Firefox just so I don't get confused...

This may be a red herring but I really don't know.

I'm always logged in. Even if I want to use my sock puppet I fire up Firefox just so I don't get confused...

This may be a red herring but I really don't know.

But do you always have at least one browser window active?

If you were to try this:

• don't explicitly log off of gc.com, but close all of your browser windows
  • open a browser window (assuming that your default home page is not a gc.com page)
  • use your browser bookmark to go straight to a cache page that has an image or table

then would the images be missing or the table be incorrectly formatted?

And if you did this instead:

• don't explicitly log off of gc.com, but close all of your browser windows
  • open a browser window
  • go to the gc.com main page, or your "my account page"
  • now use your browser bookmark to go to a cache page that has an image or table

then would the images and/or tables be displayed correclty?

Normally I enter gc.com from the main page. I can bring on this problem by entering directly through a cache page as I indicated above. Today I bookmarked My Account Details and later entered the site through that page. When I then called up my Netscape bookmark for a page, the images were there. It would seem, then, that something is not checking the cookies properly from a cache page. The page does show me logged in, but the images are not there.

Having no idea how these things work, I can't offer ideas, I can only describe how the problem works in hopes that TPTB will be able to figure out what is going wrong. I hope this helps TPTB replicate the problem so they can see what is going on here.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Yes, If I go directly to the cache page, I do not see the images.

If I go to my "My Account" page, then via the same bookmark to the cache page, I see the images.

I did this half a dozen time each. Very repeatable.

This is exceptionally odd.

Note, I have NOT logged out of gc.com.

Can we please get this fixed? Puzzle caches that have images as part of the cache are not solvable. Thanks.

Paul

I can start a VNC server and let you watch it fail on my machine if you want. Tonight is good for as is Friday morning until about 1pm (East coast time).

Just let me know.

Paul

PS: I just realized something, I'm behind a NAT router so you won't be able to see my IP address. There should be a way around this, let me poke around some but I doubt I could do it tonight.

Edited by NotThePainter

Today:

1 Go to my account

2 Go to geocaches (Mine)

3 Select my puzzlecache with picture

- No picture

- No img tag in source

- Picture icon present and working thou

4 Click Edit listing button

5 Back 1 page

- Voila picture is there

Does not happen every time. Very intermittent.

Hope it can help to track the problem

It looks like the problem is not just image related as this cache, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1a-c20ea43b2573 , has missing formatting.

This is an extract from the html when the page is displayed correctly:

<p><h2>Clue 01  N50 48.343 W000 03.438 - A Little Light Reading.</h2>Telephone number ***A* **B***<p><h2>Clue 02  N50 48.40A W000 03.4(B-1)A - A Brush with the Past</h2>Georgina

When the page is displayed incorrectly I get this:

<p>Clue 01  N50 48.343 W000 03.438 - A Little Light Reading.Telephone number ***A* **B***<p>Clue 02  N50 48.40A W000 03.4(B-1)A - A Brush with the PastGeorgina

Using 'the hermit crabs' suggested method I can reproduce this problem for the above cache consistently as follows:

1. Log into my GC.com account ("remember me" cookie enabled)

2. Close all browser windows

3. Open a new browser window with www.google.com as home page

4. Go to http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1a-c20ea43b2573 directly. All the <h> tags are missing.

The problem is fixed by going to www.geocaching.com (or any sub page other than http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx) and then to http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1a-c20ea43b2573 . The page is now formatted correctly.

I see this problem with both IE and Firefox.

Gary

Thanks for the detective work. I tracked down where it is happening but not why. However I was able to make some changes to the code to make it work properly. We have some additional changes to make before we can post a patch but it should be by tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's help. I was finally able to duplicate it so I could test "fixes." It is still a bit of a mystery but hey, it worked.

Thanks for everyone's help. I was finally able to duplicate it so I could test "fixes." It is still a bit of a mystery but hey, it worked.

And thank you for fixing such a difficult problem. I've been a software engineer for, well, awhile now, and I know how hard it is to fix bugs when you can get a repeat-by case. Kudos!

Paul

Just for my input. Images are not the only information that is affected. I have a puzzle cache that has table cells filled with a background color. No images, or external sources in use, but it sometimes does not display it properly. It appears that the cache page is not be built correctly. I have used, firefox, IE, and a couple other browsers that just read the text source. All of them experience the same problem. When you view the source, the code is missing all together.

Just some information from my troubleshouting. It appears to help clicking on decrypt. If it is available. It seems to force a rebuild of the page, then the client magically sees the data. Interesting......

Adelos

Thanks for the detective work. I tracked down where it is happening but not why. However I was able to make some changes to the code to make it work properly. We have some additional changes to make before we can post a patch but it should be by tomorrow.

Just read this.. thanks for the efforts!!

Adelos

I have created two shortcuts to pages, with a picture, in my favorites (IE).

I log in and checks the remember me box.

I then close IE.

I start IE.

Using either of the two shortcuts gives me a page without the picture.

But if I look at any other page at GC, the shortcuts now gives me the pages with the picture.

Close IE and the procedure can be reproduced every time.

If I am not logged in the pictures shows on the pages all the time. :anibad: