Why Do Micros Seem

CamoCacher

For me it depends on where the micro is placed. If a micro is put in a pile of broken concrete at the end of a sidewalk in a residential neighborhood, I'm not amused . . . and after a DNF, won't return to find it. :ph34r:

However, other micros bring me to places I wouldn't have found without them . . . and there is no other size cache that would work in that location. I would rather have a micro there than no cache at all . . . ;)

It's personal preference on what everybody likes and dislikes really. It just seems that micros are the target for a lot of people. I use to be a micro hater but I'm starting to come around since I'm getting better at searching. In my area it's getting to the point that if I want to cache I have to look for them cause that's the majority. I will always like small & regular size caches better cause of being able to trade items and stuff. I just love hunting for an ammo can out in the woods. The only time that I still don't like a micro is if it's in an area where a regular cache can be hidden. Like in the woods. But on the other hand, because there are so many micros in my area I'm kinda getting tired of them also. That might be one of the reasons that so many hate them. They're just popping up everywhere and there's no stopping them.

Krazymtbr

It depends on the quality - of the cache, and of the mood of the finder.

There are days when the last thing I want is some 4/4 blockbuster multi to challenge me - and on those days a magnetic keyholder behind a guardrail is just what the doctor ordered.

Other days that 4/4 monster multi is just the thing. Even in the woods a micro can be appropriate given the proper rating, decent coordinates, and a satellite lock. Especially if the hide has some new twist to it - check out Blind Man's Bluff for a cache with devilishly clever "micros" in the woods.

I have to agree with you though that if the only caches coming on line are uninspired hides in uninteresting places it's hard to stay interested in the game.

Why Do Micros Seem to be so hated? I've seen references that indicate (on the forums) that micros are strongly disliked. I've also seen notes posted on Caches to that effect? Being new to the game I enjoy them all. Am I missing something?

Micros get beat up a lot in the forums, but out in the real world, there are plenty of people who like them. Or at least, don't seem to mind them.

Among the reasons that I believe micros receive so much bad press in the forums:

1) Since some micros are placed in uninteresting, unimaginiative spots, they have gained a reputation of being low-value caches.

2) They are too small to allow trading or travel bug drops.

3) They are sometimes located in high-visibility areas, which make some seekers uncomfortable

4) Their placement can effectively block the placement of a larger, 'better' cache.

I don't mind micros, and have enjoyed many of the those which I have searched for.

edit: spelling

Edited by cache_test_dummies

For most of us its not an issue of micros, but of lousy and/or unimaginative caches placed by people simply to add one to their hide count. There are some good micros out there and I think nearly all geocachers appreciate quality micros.

But because micros are cheap (often free) and easy to hide, they tend to attract the lazy cache owner who is unwilling to go through the trouble of finding a interesting spot for his cache, buy a quality, waterproof container and fill it with halfway decent swag. All they need is a leaky film canister, a strip of paper (I've encountered them just torn out of a notebook because the owner was too lazy to find a pair of scissors to cut it) and a bush behind 7-Eleven dumpster and they're set.

Of course there are lousy regular sized caches as well, but my experience tells me they are in the minority, while out of dozens of micro finds I can think of maybe 4 or 5 micros that were halfway decent cache hunts.

Whenever a micro thread like this one pops up there invariably is someone who will say something like "if you don't like micros, don't look for them". The problem is that in some areas there is nothing else to hunt, so if you don't care for micros you don't go geocaching. Which is another issue many of us have with micros. Because they are so cheap and easy to hide people sprinkle them around like grass seed.

Edited by briansnat

I feel pretty much exactly the same as Briansnat. It's not the micros I dislike... but they have a nasty habit of having a higher probability of being uninteresting finds. And in some places, the micros are everywhere, so if you don't want to do them, you don't have much other choice.

Jamie

I like and dislike them, for all the reasons listed above. I like them because they can be placed in urban/suburban areas and give people in town the ability to find them. On the other hand, they can be so hard to find that it can be a little annoying. The thing about this site, though, is that you can choose to attempt them or not, so I say the more caches the better, and let the hunter decide which ones they want to go for or not. I've found a couple micros and they're fine, but I prefer getting into nature a little more, trading or at least seeing who has been there with cards, etc. Seems more fun to me.

I do not hate micros. I hate badly placed, boring micros.

Some people think that every mini-mall guard rail needs a magnetic micro. So I save them for snowy/rainy days for a quick fix.

Then there are people who think they're being evil, when all they succeed at is being nasty. The bison tube in the prickly evergreen in a small city park, with the police watching is NOT a fun cache. Of course, this can true of large caches as well. There was nothing fun about searching for an ammo can in a several hundred foot long pile of dumped concrete slabs. Or the one hidden in the rocks by the adult book store, and with broken beer bottles about.

It's not the size of the cache. It's how and where you hide it.

to be so hated? I've seen references that indicate (on the forums) that micros are strongly disliked. I've also seen notes posted on Caches to that effect? Being new to the game I enjoy them all. Am I missing something?

It's safer to hate and blame the container size instead of the person who hid it whenever a caching experience turns out mediocre. :lol:

I have no problems with hides that are financially "cheap" as long as the hider makes up for it by investing time and resources, like finding an interesting location, or constructing a clever camouflage.

Off Topic: I'd like to see the "Find Count" and "Micros" become pinned topics, so whenever a new thread on these topics start again, we can point there and stop it.

I like micros. I like regular caches more. I'm new but I haven't met a cache that I didn't like yet. Well, accept for maybe the caches I couldn't find :lol: My first cache find was a micro. I figure if you don't like them, you don't have to go to them. I will admit that I have been to a couple of micros that made me uncomfortable due to the placement.

For me it depends on where the micro is placed. If a micro is put in a pile of broken concrete at the end of a sidewalk in a residential neighborhood, I'm not amused . . . and after a DNF, won't return to find it. :blink:

However, other micros bring me to places I wouldn't have found without them . . . and there is no other size cache that would work in that location. I would rather have a micro there than no cache at all . . . ;)

This is a Micro I have in a pile of Concrete Williard II. Read the logs the container can make it worth the finding, if at was just a film can it would not have gotten such logs.

I think the prolems some geocachers have is with micros that are placed in an area than will support a large cache. Some of these placements of micros can also damage the flora with cachers trying to find them.

Some of these placements of micros can also damage the flora with cachers trying to find them.

In my opinion, the size of the cache has no bearing on whether cachers will tear up the flora trying to find them. A poorly placed cache will result in some cachers doing damage to the environment regardless of the cache size. I've seen cachers bushwhack to get to an ammo can instead of just walking around and finding the existing path into an area. In my experience, if the hider has given some thought to how to hide a micro (and has posted a hint if necessary), micros will have less impact on the environment. A good cacher, knowing that he/she is looking for a micro, will use their brain to spot the good hiding places and will not go damaging the plants unnecessarily.

Some of these placements of micros can also damage the flora with cachers trying to find them.

In my opinion, the size of the cache has no bearing on whether cachers will tear up the flora trying to find them. A poorly placed cache will result in some cachers doing damage to the environment regardless of the cache size. I've seen cachers bushwhack to get to an ammo can instead of just walking around and finding the existing path into an area. In my experience, if the hider has given some thought to how to hide a micro (and has posted a hint if necessary), micros will have less impact on the environment. A good cacher, knowing that he/she is looking for a micro, will use their brain to spot the good hiding places and will not go damaging the plants unnecessarily.

I find that micros do often have added impact. Because they are harder to find, searchers will spend more time at the site and because they can be concealed in just about anything, searchers will wander around a wider area. Usually there are only so many places to hide an ammo box. A micro can be practically anywhere.

I can't imagine any circumstances where a micro could have less impact.

Let me parrot what so many have already said;

It's not the cache, it's the hider. Spitting out a film cannister into the bushes of every Burger King within a 100 mile radius does not a Geocacher make. That being said, some of my all time favorite caches were micros. These are the ones, (few & far between), that bring me to a place I enjoy, and are hidden in a spot that wouldn't support a regular cache.

A note to Geoparents; If your 10 year old runs up and says "Mommy/Daddy, Winn Dixie just gave me 20 more film cannisters! Can we go hide them? I hear there's a new Burger King being built!", you've got a monster on your hands. Give him/her/it some Ridalin....kwickly. :)B)

to be so hated? I've seen references that indicate (on the forums) that micros are strongly disliked. I've also seen notes posted on Caches to that effect? Being new to the game I enjoy them all. Am I missing something?

micros are stoopid. we HATE them. Because they are STOOPID! That's why we HATE them.

micros are stoopid. we HATE them. Because they are STOOPID! That's why we HATE them.

Sounds like a phobia.

One thing I do like is that since they're not putting up vitural caches on this site anymore some people are now placing micros where they were gonna make a virtual cache so you can still visit the location. I've also seen some still put up the questions they were gonna ask just for fun so you can learn about the area if you want. In this situation, I like micros.

I think the prolems some geocachers have is with micros that are placed in an area than will support a large cache
;):back: you don't say? I had that exact comment on two of my forest micros recently. Who's offering to "support" $$$ me? I couldn't help but check on the cachers who logged that, and observe that I own more ammo can hides than both of them combined. In any case, those hides are micros because those areas flood. I've lost as many ammo can hides to the summer flooding as I care to.

I see this topic has been discussed in the past, thankfully I looked though pages of topics. I am still left confused after reading through it.

Like someone else said, This is a new sport for me and I like all of them. of course who is not just thrilled when it took me to a spot that I had not seen before or offered some fresh air in the city.

But this is what I dont understand. I went to a "micro cache" recently. it was a light post one. it had a log book and nothing else. it also badly needed some TLC. Despite that it was in a store parking lot and was not "cleverly" hidden. The log has tons of names. This area has alot of these types and many "outside the box" sites. So the reason many still came to this one was not out of no other choice. So why? Is there still many who dont care as long as it has a log and they got out of the house for the day?

What is concidered clever? if its disguised? or hidden well?

What if the spot holds no special insight, will it get a negitive aoutomatically?

What if the cache is a first for someone and they worked really hard to hide it in a what they think is clever way and wanting to be sure to be able to keep to the comittment they say they will have in taking care of it and limited income place it in one of what is concidered boring spots?

Do those who have lots of caches on their belt or even those who are new think about them indivdually and what that person may or may not of tried to accomplish with their cache or is it a automatic no no if its not clever enough?

I guess I was wondering if you had to describe clever micro cache(NOT clever location but hiding technique) what would it be what is a example?

thanks for the imput to a confused newbie geocacher.

flowerswife

Edited by flowerswife

These caches, in my limited experience, seem to come from high number cachers who have for the most part, gained most of their finds on easy micros.

The way most of us are hooked on this game, we can't resist passing these easy caches when in the area. I'm guilty of it, if I'm in a new area I'll hit all the local easy micros, I also will attempt the hard ones, but due to time constraints or distance issues I can't always go after the ammo can like I want to.

Everyone likes to put down the micros, but yet they still visit them, and place them. Simply put, micros are easy to hide, require less creativity, and are cheap to make and maintain. It takes effort to make a good ammo can hide, effort a lot of people don't want to put out.

It's a tricky situation, micros can be the only means to take someone to an interesting area, or just a way to pad your numbers. I had the chance to visit several micro caches that were blatantly said to be just placed for the heck of it. They were some of the worst hides I've been to, borderline to even being in the guidelines, in uninteresting areas, and not maintained.

I don't think it's a deliberate action of cachers, but after finding lots of hides in this fashion, it becomes the norm to hide that way, and the cycle grows and grows.

What is concidered clever? if its disguised? or hidden well?

A clever hide could be one that is well disguised or hidden so that it blends in well with the surroundings. What consititues a clever hide varies by region and changes with time as more people adopt the method. For example, the first caches hidden under parking lot lamp post skirts were clever. But once every mall within 50 miles has a cache hidden under a lamp post skirt, it is no longer clever.

Fake rocks were once clever but are pretty routine in many areas now, so people start by picking up rocks and checking them. Here is a thread that will show you examples of clever cache containers and hides.

What if the spot holds no special insight, will it get a negitive aoutomatically?

Maybe. For the numbers hounds, there is no such thing as a bad cache. As long as they can bag a smiley, they're good with pretty much anything. For those who are more into using geocaching as a tool to explore, caches in mall parking lots, behind 7-Eleven dumpsters and in litter strewn lots will not receive high marks.

What if the cache is a first for someone and they worked really hard to hide it in a what they think is clever way and wanting to be sure to be able to keep to the comittment they say they will have in taking care of it and limited income place it in one of what is concidered boring spots?

See above. Some will like it and some won't. I'm not sure what income has to do with finding interesting spots though. A cache doesn't have to be placed on the lip of the Grand Canyon for it to be a good spot. Nearly every city and town has an historic spot, interesting place, or an oddity that is worth placing a cache near.

Do those who have lots of caches on their belt or even those who are new think about them indivdually and what that person may or may not of tried to accomplish with their cache or is it a automatic no no if its not clever enough?

Hiders have different reasons for placing caches. Some people place caches to be found, while some place them to fool fellow geocachers.

Clever hides are generally used for two reasons. One is simply to conceal caches from passersby in high traffic areas. These are often easily spotted by geocachers who are looking for them. The other reason is to dupe other geocachers. These might be difficult even for an experinced geocacher to find.

Caches do not have to be clever. In fact a lot of geocachers don't really care for "clever" hides. Sometimes clever hides are used to make cache in an otherwise unappealing area more interesting for finders. To many geocachers this is just another cache in an unappealing area and they won't give it high marks no matter how clever it is.

I guess I was wondering if you had to describe clever micro cache(NOT clever location but hiding technique) what would it be what is a example?

See the link above.

Micros and their offspring, nanos, have slowly become caches that I normally won't go for. It's not that the cache can't be interesting, but rather that they are usually someplace that I don't care to (or can't) take my dog, or require the possibility of damaging the surroundings during a tedious hunt to find. That being said, there are micros that are an integral part of a GOOD cache...so I base my decision to go for them on the hider. It quickly becomes obvious who is scattering micros around and who is using them (what I personally call) correctly.

For me the qualities that make a good micro are just about the same as the qualities that make any good cache. ...an enjoyable walk to an interesting area. ...a chance to explore a new area ...a certain amount of privacy during the actual hunt ...a bit of a feeling of accomplishment upon finding the cache. If this is accomplished by the cache it probably will appeal to me and if it doesn't the appeal will be less. I still do micros if they are close my planned route, but seldom go out of my way much to find them. The chance of them being boring or in a muggle infested area is just too great.

Edited by edscott
I do not hate micros. I hate badly placed, boring micros.

Some people think that every mini-mall guard rail needs a magnetic micro. So I save them for snowy/rainy days for a quick fix.

Then there are people who think they're being evil, when all they succeed at is being nasty. The bison tube in the prickly evergreen in a small city park, with the police watching is NOT a fun cache. Of course, this can true of large caches as well. There was nothing fun about searching for an ammo can in a several hundred foot long pile of dumped concrete slabs... It's how and where you hide it.

Harry, very well put! I agree with these sentiments! Thank you very much. I would add that a lot of the problem with dull micros is about boredom. The first three micros which you find under lampposts in parking lots may be challenging and fun. The first three micros which you find on a city streetcorner under a postal mailbox or DHL pickup box may be mind-blowing and fun. The first three micros hidden behind or under a soda machine at a supermarket may be a bit amusing. The first three micros hidden under a garbage bin behind the supermarket may seem to be daring and adventurous. The first three micros which you find on a guardrail may be kinda interesting and amusing. However, there as zillions of these things, and it starts to get really old really fast! However, to each their own: some folks love finding thousands of such things, and others, such as myself, well, I would rather pass.

I feel that a micro, intelligently used in the right situation, can be PERFECT and a lot of fun. In the wrong setting, they can just be an annoying irritation, and we may learn to avoid future hides by the cacher who placed such a thing.

Yes, micros have their place... but it seems that people are putting them out to either boost their placement numbers, or just to put out a "quickie" placement.

We have a nice new park near us, with 4 new caches. 3 of those caches are micros! This is a BIG park, with what look like plenty of places to put a small cache, or even an ammo can.... (The other one is an ammo can, the first cache in that park).

We went geocaching Friday, and of the 5 caches we found, 3 were micros... (and the two we didn't find were also micros). The two we found on Christmas day were micros.

Yes, we could have searched out others, and ignored the micros, but we basically went paperless, and just kept going to the next nearest cache...

I don't get the point of a micro in a ditch in the middle of nowhere (one we couldn't find) ... it wasn't even that scenic of a spot.

Yes, some places are suitable for micros only, but with some more creativity, other hiding spots could be found.

We haven't placed many caches, because we try to bring people to a spot they haven't seen before, or a creative hide, or something like that. Yes, we have one that is in an altoids tin, but it is in a park frequented by kids, and surrounded by houses, so I figured that if we lived right by the park, my kids would have explored virtually every inch of the park, and would find anything much bigger, thus the kids that live nearby would also do the same. (We have gotten some very nice posts about that hide... the camo is really cool! I look forward to the online posts from my caches... they can make my day when someone takes the time to post something about the cache or the area.)

It seems that many of the cachers are in it for the numbers, so even if the cache has swag in it, they just post a quick SLTNLN TFTC! For us, it is a family activity, and it is fun looking through the goodies to pick out something memorable. I guess I'm an old-fashioned cacher, then...