My First Cache...

The Golem

Not only have you broken the 'self-promotion' taboo (naughty-naughty but we'll let you off this time), but you have linked to the de-crypted version of your page, giving the clue away.

I suggest you edit the link. The best way to do that is make sure you are viewing the encrypted page when you capture the URL

Not only have you broken the 'self-promotion' taboo (naughty-naughty but we'll let you off this time), but you have linked to the de-crypted version of your page, giving the clue away.

Right then...I've deleted the link so that's the end of that! :D

On the subject of all things taboo, could someone give a guide to forum etiquette? :)

There are the obvious no-nos like swearing and causing arguements but what other potential clangers can a newcomer drop? ;)

Hi Golem, I was very pleased to see such a good first cache listed - Well done :D

You've already learnt about promoting your own caches so nothing more to be said except thanks for editing your post so quickly :) As far as forum etiquette is concerned, there is nothing written that is special to the UK forum just the regular guidelines which can be accessed from the link at the top left of the forum page (just under the Groundspeak logo).

Welcome to the game.

On the subject of all things taboo, could someone give a guide to forum etiquette? :)

Golem: Don't worry too much about promoting your caches. Although this is supposed never to happen, you'll find that certain of the more experienced members of the UK forum do it all the time - often with the flimsiest excuse, and sometimes with none at all.

To help, I'll shortly be posting a newcomers' guide to the subject, with the topic title:

"Advertising Your Own Cache In The Forum - and how to get away with it"

Watch out for this.

-Wlw.

Golem: Don't worry too much about promoting your caches. Although this is supposed never to happen, you'll find that certain of the more experienced members of the UK forum do it all the time - often with the flimsiest excuse, and sometimes with none at all.

To help, I'll shortly be posting a newcomers' guide to the subject, with the topic title:

"Advertising Your Own Cache In The Forum - and how to get away with it"

Watch out for this.

-Wlw.

I already know a few tricks, and used them on several occassions :):D did I just say that??

I look forward to seeing your guide, you never know I may learn a new trick or two :D;)

I'll just add that Event Caches aren't really covered by the 'non-self-promotion' rule, as they have a broader appeal (?) than an individual physical cache. That said, I'm pleased yours was brought to my attention as it looks a corker! Speaking of which, my latest one... (see how easy it is? :))

Forum rules are mostly common-sense but that doesn't stop all and sundry falling foul of them from time to time. At least everyone(ish!) is very polite about it when it happens. :D

SP

Edited for spooling

Edited by Simply Paul
members of the UK forum do it all the time - often with the flimsiest excuse, and sometimes with none at all.

I've only been around on this Forum for about a month or so admittedly but I was a bit surprised that The Golem was given a lightly smacked wrist for mentioning his first cache and putting it in a link :)

I wasn't aware that we weren't supposed to mention our own caches when contributing to the Forum threads....no one told me :D ! I've seen lots of folks mention their own caches on various threads: I've done it myself ;) ! Sorry, if I upset anyone :)

....Clarification, please?

Mrs B

Acht Golum Golum Golum...it wiz jist a wee bit  mis-worded ...The Gollum should have said ......

" I've just placed my first  cache  GC XXXX , and I was wondering  if I've rated it correctly?....

TA da.... .....

Then all the sanctimonious gits  would  have been flummoxed ......

Sorry to be a sanctimonious stick in the mud FFB, but I am afraid that you have got the cache waypoint wrong, it isn't GC XXXX, as you have stated but is in fact GCQVGV, please do you think you can get it right next time. :(

I've seen lots of folks mention their own caches on various threads: I've done it myself :( ! Sorry, if I upset anyone :(

I think starting a thread to advertise is a no no, but if you happen to mention a cache in passing you can just about get away with it. It's more to stop the forum getting flooded with threads every time someone puts a cache out.

The Blorenges wrote:

I wasn't aware that we weren't supposed to mention our own caches when contributing to the Forum threads....no one told me ohmy.gif ! I've seen lots of folks mention their own caches on various threads: I've done it myself ohmy.gif ! Sorry, if I upset anyone sad.gif

I believe the rule is that you shouldn't use the forums to advertise your caches as such. In other words posts that say "I've placed a new cache, come and find it" aren't allowed. To mention one of your caches in some other context, for example you've had a strange log on a cache and you want people's opinions about it, is usually fine. Equally, if someone is asking about caches in your area that meet certain criteria, and one or more of yours fits the bill, then it's fine to say so. These forums are about caching, and so naturally particular caches get mentioned. The only sanction is against direct advertising of your own caches.

Then all the sanctimonious gits would have been flummoxed ......

Sanctimonious? Moi? Git? Errr, occasionally, but only when I need to be. I was trying to be helpful and friendly! Ignorance of the rules is a perfect defence in this situation, which is why it's important to mention the rules (at least the sensible ones) from time to time. :(

SP

it's important to mention the rules (at least the sensible ones)

Yes, fair enough, but where are they? I had a look at the Forum guidelines and it tells you "no commercial advertising" and other stuff about bad language and respecting other Forum users rights etc etc ...All very right and reasonable...but it doesn't say, "thou shalt not talk about your own caches". Is this one of those little "rules" that isn't actually written down but is tacitly understood, at least by some people? :(

BTW, MR B DID TELL ME NOT TO TYPE IN CAPITALS :( BECAUSE IT'S LIKE SHOUTING.

*whisper* is that correct? mrs b