*poll* - Disable Cache For Winter?

I don't know whether or not this one has been discussed in detail. I did a couple of searches and didn't really find much...

Anyway, I have a cache in a nearby Park. I'm investigating the Park's winter hours and policies to determine if I should disable the cache for the winter. It's not that I'm really concerned about the park getting trampled or an obvious path being made to the cache location; but rather - I'm not so sure about the integrity of my cache container. I don't know how well it will survive a Midwest winter. (I don't want to give away what the container looks like; but I got it FREE when I bought coffee. :rolleyes: )

So what's the general concensus? I want to insure a good quality caching experience for the folks next spring and summer; and money's kind of tight, so I don't want to spring for a more durable container. Soooooooo what does the "Caching Community" think I should do?

The polls are now open. The choice before you: Should I disable for the winter?

Thanks in advance to all who reply!

Don't know how well those red coffee containers hold up in cold weather, but they have to do better than some of those disposable glad ware ones, don't they?

They don't because the lid is the weak link.

I say replace the coffee can with an ammo can and keep the cache alive through the year.

Edited by TotemLake

you can't make up your own mind? are we going to expect a poll for you to decide to wipe your butt too? I mean, come on! I get sick of these posts once a week asking for someone else to make up their mind for them. It's not like you are deciding the fate of the world here! Disable it or replace the container, either or, no big deal.

Edited by twjolson & Kay

From the Forum Guidelines:

Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

The OP asked a simple question. Either provide a respectful opinion about his cache, skip the thread, or politely say that there seems to be a lot of threads like this.

A lot of geocachers love winter caching. Some feel its the best time for hunting caches, so I'd say leave it.

However keep your eyes out for a better container. Lock n Locks, ammo boxes and Rubbermaid Seal n Savers (when on sale) are inexpensive and do a good job of standing up to the elements.

If you can't get a better container, I'd still leave it. Just make sure your logbook is in a new Ziploc and if worse comes to worse and the container doesn't make it, just replace it in the spring. They're cheap (well they're free actually).

Also, ignore Twjolson & Kay's comments. They were pretty uncalled for. Your question was a legit one.

you can't make up your own mind? are we going to expect a poll for you to decide to wipe your butt too? I mean, come on! I get sick of these posts once a week asking for someone else to make up their mind for them. It's not like you are deciding the fate of the world here! Disable it or replace the container, either or, no big deal.

Yikes...

Yikes...

Do not let them get to you, they probably had a *Really* bad hair day or PMS.... :laughing:

If you think that your hide is very special & will not withstand the winter weather, then send a E-Mail to your reviewer to ask him about it. He just might have a couple of pointers to help you out or will archive it for you, to re-open in the spring.

I am wondering if there is any way to 'winterize' the cache container? A spray or waterproofer?

Either way...I wish you the best!

Shirley~

...I got it FREE when I bought coffee.

Cheap containers are a false economy. What you gain with a cheap container you lose very quickly in maintenance and disappointed finders.

Personally, I'd leave the cache, maybe post the winter park hours, but you'd do yourself a favor by upgrading the container. You can rarely go wrong with an ammo can.

... will archive it for you, to re-open in the spring.

Watch out for this because it will have to be re-reviewed. NEVER do this with a grandfathered cache as it will NOT be re-approved.

While there might be exceptions, I've always seen where any cache that had been archived for any reason must met the present guidelines regardless of the guidelines that where in place when the cache was first approved.

A lot of geocachers love winter caching. Some feel its the best time for hunting caches, so I'd say leave it.

However keep your eyes out for a better container. Lock n Locks, ammo boxes and Rubbermaid Seal n Savers (when on sale) are inexpensive and do a good job of standing up to the elements.

I'll second that. Spend a couple bucks for a Lock n Lock and let'em keep caching!

Watch out for this because it will have to be re-reviewed. NEVER do this with a grandfathered cache as it will NOT be re-approved.

While there might be exceptions, I've always seen where any cache that had been archived for any reason must met the present guidelines regardless of the guidelines that where in place when the cache was first approved.

Good advice. If you do plan to take it out of comission for the winter DO NOT ARCHIVE IT. Temorarily disable it. If you archive it, someone else can take the spot, or as CR said, if the rules change and your cache no longer conforms they will not activate it.

Good advice. If you do plan to take it out of comission for the winter DO NOT ARCHIVE IT. Temorarily disable it. If you archive it, someone else can take the spot, or as CR said, if the rules change and your cache no longer conforms they will not activate it.

OK, OK. I take it back already. It was early in the morning & the approvers should be able to tell the poster what he needs to do when he contacts them.

Geeesh, guys, give an old lady a break already......:laughing:

Shirley~

keep it open

buy another "container" to have a backup lid :laughing:

save up for an ammo can

or you can camo up a countrywide lemonade container that has a nice screw on lid - about the size of a small coffee can and less worry about lid failure.

If and when you temporarily disable your cache, be sure to include a very clear explanation about why it has to be closed for the winter. Many volunteer reviewers go through the list of disabled caches regularly, and will archive ones that have been disabled for too long without a good reason. If there's a note explaining that the trail to the mountain pass is closed until April, or that road construction in the area will be in progress for the next 8 months, then your cache will be skipped over. I'm not sure about a note that says "this cache is disabled for the winter because the container isn't waterproof." The reviewer might tell you to either get another container, or free up the spot for someone else to hide a more durable cache. The answer may be driven by the cache density in the immediate area.

Your question was a legit one.

Legit, yes it was, but still. I get sick of people posting every week, sometimes everyday asking for other people to make thier choices for them. I fear to see what these people are like in everday life, choosing what to eat for lunch must be an amazing ordeal!

And, this is nothing personal towards the original poster, it's just a sickening trend that's gone on for way too long. Asking how or why is one thing, that is learning, that is noble and worthwhile. Asking if or should I is something differant.

Hey Flash,

Being local, I can understand your concern for the location. Your cache is in a swamp, fer cryin' out loud! :laughing:

However, I wouldn't worry about disabling it for winter. Last winter, for example, had very few really bad days. Most winters around here are like that, really. Either that or I'm just desperate enough for caching that I don't notice them being so bad.

Actually, in your swampy location, spring and fall rains would probably be worse than the winter snow. I'm in agreement with the others who have posted, a more water-tight container would be a great idea.

Oh, and by the way, thanks for adopting that cache. It's one of the oldest in the area and was a real thrill when I first found it with my daughter back in 2002.

Bret

...are we going to expect a poll for you to decide to wipe your butt too? I mean, come on! I get sick of these posts once a week ...

Lots of things are up for discussion.

For example. what's the best TP to wipe your butt with? In my opinion I think you should use stuff that doesn't rip, and I think they should ban the John Wayne TP since it's ruff tuff and doesn't take crap from anyone. It's amazing what you can discuss.

My advice to you is to read the forums every other week or less often. That should cure the problem.

As for the OP. Find a good container and leave it out all year. People do go caching in the winter. And it's a lot of fun even if you can't find the cache. But you know that going in.

Perhaps if you're so sick and tired of seeing these weekly posts, the best thing for you to do is to stop reading them for a while and just play the game. They are, afterall, not tied together.

Your question was a legit one.

Legit, yes it was, but still. I get sick of people posting every week, sometimes everyday asking for other people to make thier choices for them. I fear to see what these people are like in everday life, choosing what to eat for lunch must be an amazing ordeal!

And, this is nothing personal towards the original poster, it's just a sickening trend that's gone on for way too long. Asking how or why is one thing, that is learning, that is noble and worthwhile. Asking if or should I is something differant.

I'd rather someone ask and get a good suggestion than not ask and people end up finding a messed up container with a frozen logbook. Don't be so quick to jump on people for asking questions. TotemLake makes a good suggestion--if the questions bother you, maybe the forums aren't the place for you to be.

Back on topic, I'd say get a good container and leave the cache. Lock-n-Lock containers are great for wet and winter, aren't very expensive, and are readily available (or at least should be) at TARGET. You can get a decent sized container for about $4.

Good luck with your cache!

I'd rather someone ask and get a good suggestion than not ask and people end up finding a messed up container with a frozen logbook. Don't be so quick to jump on people for asking questions. TotemLake makes a good suggestion--if the questions bother you, maybe the forums aren't the place for you to be.

The thing is, he didn't ask for suggestions, he asked for opinion on whether to close the cache or not. All the suggestions you guys posted, although good advice, are pointless. He flat out said that money was tight and that he couldn't get a new container. My beef is that he can't get a good container, and the one he has is questionable at best, so if he is unwilling to chance the winter, then he's left with but one option, making a "poll" pointless. Either close the cache or chance it. Either way, no big deal. He doesn't need the community to hold his hand. He can make the choice.

Each to their own way, each how they act in life, each with different amounts of respect.

Seeing that is an adopted cache and it is one of the area's oldest caches, maintain it through the winter. Now that I'm a "seasoned vet" (I've been caching in all 4 seasons) I have to say winter was the best because of the scenery and the level of difficulty. I can't wait for the winter to go caching again! =)

Happy Caching!

The thing is, he didn't ask for suggestions, he asked for opinion on whether to close the cache or not. All the suggestions you guys posted, although good advice, are pointless. He flat out said that money was tight and that he couldn't get a new container. My beef is that he can't get a good container, and the one he has is questionable at best, so if he is unwilling to chance the winter, then he's left with but one option, making a "poll" pointless. Either close the cache or chance it. Either way, no big deal. He doesn't need the community to hold his hand. He can make the choice.

Here's the thing. He is the owner of ONE, count them, ONE cache. Which he took ownership of in June of this year (about the same time you placed your first hide, if it counts for anything) Since he doesn't have the vast wealth of knowledge about cache maintenance and container durability as someone with say, four 6 month old hides does, and he does have a legitimate question about the durability of a certain container-which he may or may not have placed himself-he has done the right thing by coming here to the forums to draw upon the knowledge of cachers with thousands of hides and finds, and years of experience with different cache containers in every weather situation imaginable.

And welcome to the world of internet forums. Sit down sometime and read through the last 6 months of posts here, you'll notice several recurring topics. Go find yourself another forum. You'll see the same thing. It's just part of the way it works, man. One particular board I've participated in for 4 years now, literally every week someone asks the question "Which canoe should I buy" or "Which kayak should I buy". Every time, the knowledged individuals on the board pop in and offer advice, even though they've done the same thing every week since the forum opened. If you're sick of reading questions like this, don't open them--or introduce us to the man holding the gun forcing you to click on 'em.

Flashncache--I wouldn't be worried about the container. Think about how many people store their coffee in the freezer to keep it fresh. While I agree a quality deep freeze has got nothing on a good ol' midwest winter, I don't think the cache will be adversely affected. If, halfway through the cold & snowy, you start seeing logs about the cache needing maintenance, run out and replace it or bring it home and temp. disable it until spring at that time. I wouldn't bother putting it on the disabled list until then.

Here's the thing. He is the owner of ONE, count them, ONE cache. Which he took ownership of in June of this year (about the same time you placed your first hide, if it counts for anything) Since he doesn't have the vast wealth of knowledge about cache maintenance and container durability as someone with say, four 6 month old hides does

literally every week someone asks the question "Which canoe should I buy" or "Which kayak should I buy".

If you're sick of reading questions like this, don't open them--or introduce us to the man holding the gun forcing you to click on 'em.

Here's the thing. It has nothing to do with experience, it has to do with common sense. He can't get a new container, therefore, he needs to either disable it, or risk the winter. If he's not willing to risk replacing a cheap notepad and a few cheap items, then the answer is obvious. If he's willing, then the answer is obvious to leave it open. His question is valid, but he's a big boy, he should have been able to figure it out himself. And strangers all around the world aren't any help. The majority of them didn't even answer his question. And the rest don't know the ins and outs of the weather there. I've heard referance to "Midwest winters", but even within the same state weather can vary widely. So the opinion of someone say in florida is pretty darn pointless.

As for the Everyone asking such and such a question everyweek. That's no big deal, I handle those all the time. That is asking for knowledge, this guy and the others in the forum that posts these are asking for strangers to make up their minds for them, when with a bit of thought they can easily make it up themselves, and better, for they have more info then strangers across the country do.

I am sick of reading questions like this, but sadly, there really isn't too much more then this to read on the board. Every day it seems, another busy-body, another cacher that make a choice. Asking for knowledge is one thing, this he wasn't doing.

You apparently have some issues going beyond these forums. You would do yourself a favor and give up reading these posts for a few weeks.

Either that, or lighten up. You're getting too worked up over a very simple issue. It's posts like your current ones that folks complained made these forums unfriendly. So, if you really and truly want to be a solution instead of part of an ongoing problem, learn to educate rather than biting somebody's butt.

OR... Quit reading the posts that get you so worked up.

You're a big boy too. You can make these decisons for yourself without having someone point them out to you.

Apparently you had to have a common sense solution pointed out to you anyway. Imagine my surprise.. :(

Edited by TotemLake
I'd rather someone ask and get a good suggestion than not ask and people end up finding a messed up container with a frozen logbook.  Don't be so quick to jump on people for asking questions.  TotemLake makes a good suggestion--if the questions bother you, maybe the forums aren't the place for you to be.

Sheesh, get that roach out of your panties.

My advice:

• Ignore the forum trolls. All honest questions about geocaching are welcome here.
  • Find some kind of container that you feel confident will make it through the winter. It doesn't have to be an ammo box, although they are ideal. There are plenty of other possibilities. If you start looking now, you should find something by the time the snow flies.
  • Winter caching is a blast!

At this time I would like to ask everyone not to chastise twjolson & Kay for their posts to this thread. This matter has been addressed by the moderating team, and twjolson & Kay will not be posting further in this topic. Therefore, everyone else can return to discussing the question asked by the OP. Thank you.

I don't disable my caches in the winter but I do make a note that finds in the snow could be difficult.

I carry a stick with me when caching in the snow to poke around the base of trees and rocks listening for the thud of tupperware or the clang of an ammo can.