On The Cover Of Today's Cacher

El Diablo

Every now and then we need to recognize the people behind the scene of Geocaching.com These people are Admin, Approvers, and Moderators that all do an outstanding job! Without them this sport/game/hobby wouldn't be possible.

I would like to feature one of them the next cover of Today's Cacher's on line edition coming out in September.

All you have to do is to submit a photo of the nominee along with the reason why you think they should honored. If you don't have a photo, ask them for one. All nominees will receive a copy of the printed version of Today's Cacher along with the person that nominated them, But you have to be the first to nominate them in order to win the magazine.

The winning submission will receive a Today's Cacher T-shirt. We need the photo by Friday the 26th. The staff of Today's Cacher will choose the winner.

El Diablo

thank goodness. It's about time to start giving these people some positive re-inforcement, rather than a lot of what I normally see.... :laughing:

Thanks, El Diablo. I hope a great one gets it.

We'll their all great. I only have room for one on the cover however....but all will be featured in the magazine.

El Diablo

thank goodness. It's about time to start giving these people some positive re-inforcement, rather than a lot of what I normally see.... :anibad:

Thanks, El Diablo. I hope a great one gets it.

No way! if 'we're' nice to them they may get all confused :lol:

Hehehehe  yeah, a pic so we know what they look like....click.... :anibad:

I guess really and truly that is a good point. Not all reviewers are known, so only those that are known would qualify I guess.

Then again, as some out there know, ~erik~ and I are the only real reviewers. Everyone else is just a sock puppet account that we use. I've posted this before but I thought, for the benefit of newer forum users, that I would post a photo of me reviewing the group of potential new reviewers when we need to add someone for a given area.

reviewer-socks.jpg

(And if you did not know... it's just a joke. I'm really the puppymonster. :lol::lol: )

How about OpinioNate? After living under Jeremy's shadow for all these years it's time that his brother gets some recognition. :lol:

862ba533-5de6-4b49-bbd3-6e3d8ffd1007.jpg

There's no outting taking place, but I kind of feel odd posting this picture, so if someone wants to remove it feel free to do so.

...Without them this sport/game/hobby wouldn't be possible...

Truly, where would we be without volunteer cache approvers??...oh, right, Terracaching. :lol:

Well, where would we all be without this website's staff???...oh, right...Navicaching. :anibad:

Geez! What would we do without moderators? ...oh, right...The Sandbox. :lol: Ok...I'll give you that one.

This post is simply to disagree with the sentiment that sans geocaching.com the hobby wouldn't be possible. That's just bunk. I finished a 2-day tournament in North Quabbin this weekend and there was absolutely no ties to geocaching.com other than the fact that they chose to list it here as an event. Letterboxing extends back to before the internet even existed.

Recognize whomever you like on your cover, but to limit it to geocaching.com and make a statement like the one I quoted just isn't fair to all of the other geocaching that takes place...and that's been complaint #1 about your magazine ("The magazine for geocachers everywhere" <emphasis mine>) from me since day 1.

This post is simply to disagree with the sentiment that sans geocaching.com the hobby wouldn't be possible. That's just bunk.

Recognize whomever you like on your cover, but to limit it to geocaching.com and make a statement like the one I quoted just isn't fair to all of the other geocaching that takes place

I agree completely with both of these statements.

gc.com is Not the Center of the Universe. If it is the center of your, so be it- but not Everyone, Everywhere that caches, uses it.

...Without them this sport/game/hobby wouldn't be possible...

Truly, where would we be without volunteer cache approvers??...oh, right, Terracaching. :laughing:

Well, where would we all be without this website's staff???...oh, right...Navicaching. :lol:

Geez! What would we do without moderators? ...oh, right...The Sandbox. :P Ok...I'll give you that one.

This post is simply to disagree with the sentiment that sans geocaching.com the hobby wouldn't be possible. That's just bunk. I finished a 2-day tournament in North Quabbin this weekend and there was absolutely no ties to geocaching.com other than the fact that they chose to list it here as an event. Letterboxing extends back to before the internet even existed.

Recognize whomever you like on your cover, but to limit it to geocaching.com and make a statement like the one I quoted just isn't fair to all of the other geocaching that takes place...and that's been complaint #1 about your magazine ("The magazine for geocachers everywhere" <emphasis mine>) from me since day 1.

Yes but they're not a part of geocaching.com, and were spin-offs due to disagreements here. As for the reference of Geocachers everywhere, that can be inferred to geocaching.com members everywhere.

Geocaching.com may not be the center of the universe, but it is the biggest center of gravity around.

Just my 2 bits.

Yes but they're not a part of geocaching.com, and were spin-offs due to disagreements here. As for the reference of Geocachers everywhere, that can be inferred to geocaching.com members everywhere.

Geocaching.com may not be the center of the universe, but it is the biggest center of gravity around.

There are non-GC.com-member geocachers using GC.com listings to find caches that aren't involved with the other cache websites (I think PC Medic would be truly insulted to be called a "spin-off" of GC.com as would AngryKid...and that's just 2 site owners that offer geocaching outside of GS). I guess you can throw them under the proverbial bus with all those alterna-cachers you quickly dismiss as not a part of "geocachers everywhere".

If GC.com is the big gravity well, then why is it "Today's Cacher"'s negligence and attitude towards other website staff (and their thankless contributions to geocaching) that sucks? :laughing:

(I resigned as editor of Today's Cacher in April.)

Look, buddy; it's just a magazine. If you don't like their tag line, don't buy it. If you don't like the topic of this thread (which has nothing to do with your personal little gripe), don't read it. And if you don't care for my remarks, by all means, flame me.

Now have a nice day. :lol::laughing::P

OK, I'm going to stop the derailment of this topic here and now.

If you have complaints about GC.com or the reviewers, please take it to one of the other topics bashing reviewers or admins for the site that is currently active.

If you would like to nominate a reviewer or admin based on the criteria stated in the first post, the feel free to post here.

If you have issues with the wording of the first post, PM El Diablo.

I nominate Quiggle (assuming (s)he is the most recent admin-like account created).

Even knowing exactly what it's like in this forum at times, they volunteered anyways.

My nomination is officially "The Most Recent Admin" (assumedly Quiggle). If you slowly heat up a frog that's been in a cup of water for a while, it won't run..it doesn't know any better. If you drop a frog into a boiling cup of water, it should flee. It's the one that stays to bail out the other one that's worthy of your praise.

Thanks mtn-man!

Also I didn't think about a lot of approvers being sock puppet accounts. Still I would like to feature a staff member on the cover for those that want to participate. I don't want this to turn into another thread about "More about Groundspeak" The last one got me in trouble. :lol: Either way I intend to mention all the members I can in the article that will follow.

Also no current or past members of the magazine are allowed to submit since it would raise questions of being biased (Sorry Sept1c_tank.).

I would also like to see the international approvers and Mods nominated.

BTW....leave Jeremy out. He has a special edition coming up in our next printed edition. He woke up feeling good one morning and actually granted us an interview. :laughing:

El Diablo

Also I didn't think about a lot of approvers being sock puppet accounts. Still I would like to feature a staff member on the cover for those that want to participate.

Only about one-third of all the reviewers are truly anonymous. Some, like mtn-man, review under their player account name -- mainly because that's how everyone did it way back in the old days. Others, like myself, were initially using separate anonymous reviewer accounts but are now well-identified with their player account identities.

There is another category, that being reviewers who are known locally, but whose identity is not widely publicized here in the forums. If this sounds like it might be "your" reviewer, please consider sending him or her an e-mail to ask if it would be cool to post a nomination and a photo.

Thanks everyone for your consideration of this request, and thank you El Diablo for starting the thread and for re-focusing it.

Also no current or past members of the magazine are allowed to submit since it would raise questions of being biased.

Oh. :laughing: Well there goes my puppymonster vote then. :lol:

B)

We all love puppymonster...but he isn't an Admin/Appover, or a Moderator. Besides...I've already enshrined him on a staff. :P

El Diablo

...I don't want this to turn into another thread about "More about Groundspeak" The last one got me in trouble. :laughing:

Got you in trouble? B)

Also no current or past members of the magazine are allowed to submit since it would raise questions of being biased (Sorry Sept1c_tank.).

I'm not biased, but I'll play by your rules! :lol::P

Also no current or past members of the magazine are allowed to submit since it would raise questions of being biased.

Oh. :D Well there goes my puppymonster vote then. :D

:D

We all love puppymonster...but he isn't an Admin/Appover, or a Moderator. Besides...I've already enshrined him on a staff. :D

El Diablo

Oh, are moderators included in this too? :D

Oh. :D Well there goes my puppymonster vote then. ;)

:)

We all love puppymonster...but he isn't an Admin/Appover, or a Moderator. Besides...I've already enshrined him on a staff. :D

El Diablo

Oh, are moderators included in this too? :laughing:

Of course. Although you on the cover of the magazine in a kilt....shudder! ;)

El Diablo

How about a bunch of pictures of say 20-30 of them w/no names, just numbers and inside the mag a list of names with letters. Then we get to play match the pic to the name, send in the completed list and whoever gets the most correct gets a prize! (sorry, it's really late and I'm sleep deprived.....) ;)

(unless of course u guys like the idea and then it's brilliant!) :laughing:

1591928_1000.jpg

Moun10Bike on the southern Rim of Mt Saint Helens and near Above the Clouds.

What needs to be said about Moun10Bike? Aside from the fact that he is an all around nice guy :laughing:

He has been a cacher since almost the very beginning. He hid Idaho's very first Geocache; has well over 3000 cache finds; is currently a cache reviewer in the Pacific NorthWet; one of the founders of and active in the Washington State Geocaching Association, and a fairly new Father!

He is also the INVENTOR of Geocoins! His Moun10Bike coins were the very first Geocoins and are still the most sought after geocoins in the world

(Pic Blatently stolen from one of M10B's logs)

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

I'll second Jon's nomination. He did my fastest approval in under 5 min. He's proven an asset, is reliable and keeps things on an even keel. He's had the mispleasure of dealing with some of the worst jackasses I've seen on the player side and come out the other end with more of my respect than he had going in. If you read the GC.com who's who page you can see he's also arranged for the donation of key software liscences that GC.com needed to build this site.

He's more than earned a thumbs up.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I'll nominate mtn-man.

Why? His was one of the first names I became aware of after I started Geocaching. I nominate him because of his hard work and dedication to the whole world of geocaching. He's an approver, a forum moderator (here), a cache hider and finder.

He not only approves for his entire region, but all of Minnesota too!

It must take large amounts of time to be so familiar with 2 regions nearly a 1000 miles apart, and so vastly different. Knowing all the parks and being familiar with all those DNR rules, regulations, policies, and so on for 2 completely different states is amazing.

Its also very time consuming to cover all the different local forums that he does, and stay up to date on those different locals' boards topic, and provide advice at each of them. Finding time to sleep must be quite the task!

And last but surely not least- If it wasn't for mtn-man - I wouldn't have the opportunity to hunt nearly so many caches, with him having been the approver of most of KingB's 750+ cache hides.