Is There A Need To Be So Rude?

Oh yeah, all those that would chime in have already left in a huff  :(

So what you're confirming is that there are already those before this who have been disgusted enough with Jeremy's rudeness to leave?

Your statement speaks volumes.

Why yes, it does.

There have indeed been those before that have been angered enough to give up on this fun little hobby due to confrontations here in the forums. Plenty of them.

There are even those that have become so frustrated for one reason or another that they have created their own sites for this. Go join the Terracaching.com website and you'll definately find those that will agree.

My whole point is that hopefully you can drop this and be able to still find the joy of geocaching, because those that are still here will likely not back you up much in this crusade. I'll say it again, more directly: If you keep this up, all that will change is that you will get increasingly angered, and possibly to the point that you will want to quit this site altogether. I hope it doesn't reach that point, but thats what I predict.

There are even those that have become so frustrated for one reason or another that they have created their own sites for this. Go join the Terracaching.com website and you'll definately find those that will agree.

Yep. Seperatists.

As the owner of this website Jeremy is an embassador to the activity

No he's not. He's the owner of this website. Its like saying you're "repulsed toward" baseball because George Steinbrenner is rude.

Sorry, I don't know who George Steinbrenner is, nor do I care.

Jeremy IS an embassador of geocaching as he promotes it in many venues. That makes him a spokesman for the activity. Being rude is not a good way to promote the activity. In fact, being rude is simply not a good way to be.

No he's not. He's the owner of this website. Its like saying you're "repulsed toward" baseball because George Steinbrenner is rude.

Jeremy IS an embassador of geocaching as he promotes it in many venues. That makes him a spokesman for the activity. Being rude is not a good way to promote the activity. In fact, being rude is simply not a good way to be.

He isn't rude when he promotes it!

Since we all love barely applicable analogies.... :(

lets say you go into a bar, one with a bunch of regular customers. Lets say that you go up to the bar, and the bartender is rude to you. Maybe it was a joke, maybe he was just rude, doesn't matter, now you are offended. What would you do? Would you stay and argue with the bartender and expect those that are regulars to back you up, would you let it goe and try to forget about it, or would you leave and find a different spot to hang out?

I suspect that most of us would not try the first option, most would likely go for number three. I hope that you go for the middle one, as most of us regulars enjoy more people joining our group.

Baseball...now how can you get excited about a game where you try to hit a round ball with a round bat. Not cricket - theres a game (some matches even go for 5 days)......

Mind you...thanks to Maggiebelle...I am a mad Red Sox fan (so i should shut up and led the thread keep being angry)

MadMarty,

You aren't holding up a spotlight showing Jeremy's rudeness, you're holding up a mirror show us your rudeness and arrogance. Get off your high horse and give it a rest.

Oh, don't hold your breath waiting for all the support you seem to expect.

(If I wanted to be seen as rude, I'd of told him TO hold his breath. But he wouldn't see the humor in that. :( )

He isn't rude when he promotes it!

What are these forums then, if not a vehicle to promote the activity? Your logic is seriously flawed.

Jeremy IS an embassador of geocaching as he promotes it in many venues. That makes him a spokesman for the activity.

Jeremy promotes this????? I can't remember the last time I turned on the TV and saw Jeremy being interviewed on Good Morning America. Newspaper articles may make mention of him, but they always focus on how the game is played or the local Geocacher with them.

On the other hand since Jeremy is our ambassador maybe we can get him a seat on the UN Security council. With his experince in finding hidden containers I'm sure he'll find the WMD's in Iraq.

lets say you go into a bar, one with a bunch of regular customers. Lets say that you go up to the bar, and the bartender is rude to you. Maybe it was a joke, maybe he was just rude, doesn't matter, now you are offended. What would you do? Would you stay and argue with the bartender and expect those that are regulars to back you up, would you let it goe and try to forget about it, or would you leave and find a different spot to hang out?

If I owned the bar, the bartender would most likely be out of a job.

Being rude doesn't get you customers, it gets you out of business. I'm only trying to help Jeremy by pointing out his erroneous mannerism. Can't you see this?

Having just started caching, I've been very excited and have been reading the forums a great deal to learn as much as I can about this fantastic hobby. Imagine my surprise when I read the condescending and rude comments by the founder of this website in this thread in the Geocaching.com Web Site forum.

I'm appalled and disgusted that the owner of this website finds it amusing to berate and belittle the very people who support this site and the activity. I also find it very childish that he decides to close the thread after the discussion turns to one about his rude manners. A little bit of searching the forums shows that this is not the first instance of his arrogant demeanor. It certainly is not the demeanor that someone in his position should be taking.

This attitude has left me feeling repulsed towards the owner of the site (and towards geocaching).

Sorry for the rant, I just felt that something needs to be said.

:(:(:(

Edited by GPS_David
Since we all love barely applicable analogies.... :(

I suspect that most of us would not try the first option, most would likely go for number three. I hope that you go for the middle one, as most of us regulars enjoy more people joining our group.

I wouldn't care and would just drink the beer that I went there for. Mmmmmm angst free beer....... :(

Jeremy promotes this????? I can't remember the last time I turned on the TV and saw Jeremy being interviewed on Good Morning America. Newspaper articles may make mention of him, but they always focus on how the game is played or the local Geocacher with them.

Perhaps you should ask Jeremy when the last time was that he gave information for a media article. I think that you'll find that he takes advantage of any and all opportunities to promote the activity.

btw: if he's not rude when promoting geocaching, why does he need to be rude to those who participate in it?

lets say you go into a bar, one with a bunch of regular customers.  Lets say that you go up to the bar, and the bartender is rude to you.  Maybe it was a joke, maybe he was just rude, doesn't matter, now you are offended.  What would you do?  Would you stay and argue with the bartender and expect those that are regulars to back you up, would you let it goe and try to forget about it, or would you leave and find a different spot to hang out?

Being rude doesn't get you customers, it gets you out of business. I'm only trying to help Jeremy by pointing out his erroneous mannerism. Can't you see this?

Well, you've done your duty by trying to help him. He obviously doesn't want help, so what good does continuing to fight do?

I'm only trying to help Jeremy by pointing out his erroneous mannerism. Can't you see this?

To quote George Bush......."mission accomplished". You are right Jeremy is rude, vile individual and when his time comes there will be a special place in heck for him.

Why am I having a deja vu moment?

Because someone quotes Monty Python their rude behavior is just their sense of humor? Come on, the guy is rude and snotty in a little borish boy way. The 'power' of owning this site seems to have gotten to him and some of the 'regulars'. So what, let the OP get it off his chest. The site is still run well and the game is fun even if it is in spite of the owner's attitude.

Edited by teamjack&birdie
What are these forums then, if not a vehicle to promote the activity? Your logic is seriously flawed.

If you haven't noticed, most people who use this forum are already members, and they don't go searching out bad things jeremy has said.

Having just started caching, I've been very excited and have been reading the forums a great deal to learn as much as I can about this fantastic hobby. Imagine my surprise when I read the condescending and rude comments by the founder of this website in this thread in the Geocaching.com Web Site forum.

I'm appalled and disgusted that the owner of this website finds it amusing to berate and belittle the very people who support this site and the activity. I also find it very childish that he decides to close the thread after the discussion turns to one about his rude manners. A little bit of searching the forums shows that this is not the first instance of his arrogant demeanor. It certainly is not the demeanor that someone in his position should be taking.

This attitude has left me feeling repulsed towards the owner of the site (and towards geocaching).

Shut your little pie hole! :D:(:(

Whoa, even with the smilies I'm not sure that was called for :(:(

lets say you go into a bar, one with a bunch of regular customers.  Lets say that you go up to the bar, and the bartender is rude to you.  Maybe it was a joke, maybe he was just rude, doesn't matter, now you are offended.  What would you do?  Would you stay and argue with the bartender and expect those that are regulars to back you up, would you let it goe and try to forget about it, or would you leave and find a different spot to hang out?

But you don't own the bar, do you? In fact, you just moved into the neighborhood twelve days ago, and decided you should stop in the corner bar and tell the bar owner and all his regular patrons what doofuses (doofi? doofae?) they are.

Like the chicken said . . . some people just don't know when to let go. :(

Shut your little pie hole! :(:(:(

Whoa, even with the smilies I'm not sure that was called for :D:(

:(

So what you're confirming is that there are already those before this who have been disgusted enough with Jeremy's rudeness to leave?

Your statement speaks volumes.

When I am unhappy with the "service" given at a store or restaurant I let them know and leave - giving them no more of my money...no one is forcing you to stay here and put up with the "rudeness"

Your statement of staying speaks volumes that maybe you enjoy the abuse...kind of like a train wreck huh? just cant turn away

:(

Shut your little pie hole!  :(  :(  :D

Whoa, even with the smilies I'm not sure that was called for :(:(

Yeah. That was over the top. This is a place for Mad Marty to say how much of a rude jerk I am.

I never once called you a jerk. I did however, say that you were rude.

The 'power' of owning this site seems to have gotten to him and some of the 'regulars'. So what, let the OP get it off his chest. The site is still run well and the game is fun even if it is in spite of the owner's attitude.

Naw. I was a jerk even at the beginning of this thing. Power had nothing to do with it. Power would be locking this thread after a snotty remark so no one could respond in turn. Just let him get it out of his system.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but I am never one to keep my mouth shut. :(

You're new here. You just joined a forum full of people that you presumably don't know. You are not yet familiar with the culture.

When I am put in that situation, as I am now, also being new to the forum, I tend to sit back, watch and learn. I participate when it's appropriate. This thing you are doing? I don't think it's at all appropriate. There are subtleties and friendships/alliances that you (and I) don't yet understand. To jump right in with a big hissyfit, especially directed at the forum admin, is not going to make you any friends, and is only going to make you look like a big weiner-head.

I don't know Jeremy from Buffalo Bob, (he might be a great guy, he might be the biggest weiner-head in the universe, what do I know), but as an outside observer, I can see that this forum is chock-a-block full of "customers" that do not share your views, and the place seems to run just fine. They have repeatedly said so, and I think you need to take that at face value and let this one go for now. :(

MadMarty,

within just half an hour you got from originally complaining somebody else would be rude to calling him stupid. What is it with you? Someone took your red stapler? Your GF had the migrane again? Or are you just a Troll?

Jan

As I said...

Madmarty has sunk to his idea of Jeremy's level.

MadMarty,

within just half an hour you got from originally complaining somebody else would be rude to calling him stupid. What is it with you? Someone took your red stapler? Your GF had the migrane again? Or are you just a Troll?

Jan

You need to learn to read better. Where did I call ANYONE stupid?

I'm just thinking out loud here, but I am never one to keep my mouth shut. :(

You're new here. You just joined a forum full of people that you presumably don't know. You are not yet familiar with the culture.

When I am put in that situation, as I am now, also being new to the forum, I tend to sit back, watch and learn. I participate when it's appropriate. This thing you are doing? I don't think it's at all appropriate. There are subtleties and friendships/alliances that you (and I) don't yet understand. To jump right in with a big hissyfit, especially directed at the forum admin, is not going to make you any friends, and is only going to make you look like a big weiner-head.

I don't know Jeremy from Buffalo Bob, (he might be a great guy, he might be the biggest weiner-head in the universe, what do I know), but as an outside observer, I can see that this forum is chock-a-block full of "customers" that do not share your views, and the place seems to run just fine. They have repeatedly said so, and I think you need to take that at face value and let this one go for now. :(

I'll take your advice under advisement. Self improvement is always something I'm interested in exploring and I thank you for your insight.

It still doesn't excuse Jeremy for being rude.

My fault. I am a jerk though.

Don't expect an argument from me about that.

Ha! You totally walked into that. Welcome to my level.

Hey smart guy, it's highly improbable that I could ever be that low.

Edited by MadMarty

uh oh - implied name calling!! (or would that be inferred??)

Yes. More rudeness on Madmarty's part.

Hey smart guy, it's highly unlikely that I could ever be that low.

Hmm.. You seem to be surpassing me now in rudeness.

This is not about humor. It's about someone being rude when there is absolutely no good reason for it.

Jeremy, you need to grow up. Just because you own this site does not justify your attitude towards others. You're really not as smart as you and your followers would like to think.

I'll take this one...

Not smart = stupid

Its a stretch because he really says "not *as* smart as..."

The thing is, I suspect Jeremy is *very* smart, he's just rude is all.

Oh, Jeremy...you're such a conniving, rude, arrogant jerk!