Is There A Need To Be So Rude?

I never once called you a jerk. I did however, say that you were rude.

My fault. I am a jerk though.

Don't expect an argument from me about that.

uh oh - implied name calling!! (or would that be inferred??)

Yes. More rudeness on Madmarty's part.

How is that rude? I merely stated that I wouldn't disagree with him (and I did so very politely).

To answer the OP. Jeremy tends to respond to who's posting and how they posted. When the OP is rude, Jeremy is snippy. If they ask an honest question his answer is typically straight forward. Jeremy isn't Carleenp, he does generate angst, and doesn't go out of his way to avoid it.

The issue of stats itself is dicussed often, usually with great contention. Groundspeak took actions that shut down the stats site when we had one. None has been as good since. At the time there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth, especially when Jeremy announed there would be no stats from Groundspeak. Now things have settled down to the occasional request, and resulting snipes from regulars who slap their view into the thread and then the thread is shut when the real answer is given.

To answer the question about Rude. No there is no need to be so rude, but as I pointed out. Carleenp doesn't run this site. If they did...most of the answers would be the same they would just take more cyber ink. Carleenp could be the spokesmodel for this site. Jeremy is more direct, and if you know how to look uses a lot of humor even if it is dry, wry, or dark.

I'll take your advice under advisement. Self improvement is always something I'm interested in exploring and I thank you for your insight.

It still doesn't excuse Jeremy for being rude.

dude, I'm all for poking fun at people who get worked up about things, I like to provoke such things from time to time...

but you need to let it go. Your post was almost to the point of accepting defeat, or at least realizing you got to voice your opinion, but you just cant leave well enough alone. Had to get one last little jab in there didn't you? thus provoking more ridicule, legthening this thread that should have died within the first page (and making me loose my 500 quatloos!)

enough already. the only thing you've made me realize thru this approach is how rude YOU are.

Shut your little pie hole!  :(  :(  :D

Whoa, even with the smilies I'm not sure that was called for :(:(

Yeah. That was over the top. This is a place for Mad Marty to say how much of a rude jerk I am.

Sorry I was rude.

I changed my message so it would be full of smiles. Jeremy, now anytime someone asks you to make a change, or is very rude to you, I just want you to smile it off as well. Let it bounce of your chest, relax!

We know you are joking around but some people may not. Please say "Yes Ma'am and Yes Sir" when dealing with all of your consumers no matter how unreasonable they are. You must be pleasant and even toned.... you will now be known as "Boring Jeremy".

:(

To answer the OP. Jeremy tends to respond to who's posting and how they posted. When the OP is rude, Jeremy is snippy. If they ask an honest question his answer is typically straight forward.

I can appreciate what you're saying but in no way was Haggis Hunter being rude in this thread. It was obviously Jeremy who came out with the combative and antagonistic remarks.

There's no way that can be considered anything but rude. And as you well know, there's no need to be rude at any time. Just ask Ann Landers (well, you can't ask her anymore, but if you could, she would most likely tell Jeremy to grow up).

To answer the question about Rude. No there is no need to be so rude, but as I pointed out. Carleenp doesn't run this site. If they did...most of the answers would be the same they would just take more cyber ink. Carleenp could be the spokesmodel for this site. Jeremy is more direct, and if you know how to look uses a lot of humor even if it is dry, wry, or dark.

Maybe I should feel guilty for all the beer jokes.......

Well, no. Everyone should de-angst with good beer! :(

To answer the question about Rude.  No there is no need to be so rude, but as I pointed out. Carleenp doesn't run this site.  If they did...most of the answers would be the same they would just take more cyber ink.  Carleenp could be the spokesmodel for this site.  Jeremy is more direct, and if you know how to look uses a lot of humor even if it is dry, wry, or dark.

Enough beer and llamas.

seemse to me...Jeremy may be "rude"...but there seem to be enough people who are okay enough with that to fork over the premium membership fee, buy Groundspeak items, and otherwise support his site.

He must be doing SOME thing right... :(

It does make you wonder how many didn't become premium members because of the rude attitude. Unfortunately, there's probably no way to quantify this.

To answer the OP.  Jeremy tends to respond to who's posting and how they posted.  When the OP is rude, Jeremy is snippy.  If they ask an honest question his answer is typically straight forward.

I can appreciate what you're saying but in no way was Haggis Hunter being rude in this thread. It was obviously Jeremy who came out with the combative and antagonistic remarks.

There's no way that can be considered anything but rude. And as you well know, there's no need to be rude at any time. Just ask Ann Landers (well, you can't ask her anymore, but if you could, she would most likely tell Jeremy to grow up).

Well golly, maybe it's just me, but I don't "hear" the rudeness in that remark.

No, seriously, I don't.

It's too easy to infer tones in the forums. Face it, you "hear" what you want to hear. Cut people some slack...or some slacks...Haggar slacks are nice.

Bret

To answer the question about Rude.  No there is no need to be so rude, but as I pointed out. Carleenp doesn't run this site.  If they did...most of the answers would be the same they would just take more cyber ink.  Carleenp could be the spokesmodel for this site.  Jeremy is more direct, and if you know how to look uses a lot of humor even if it is dry, wry, or dark.

Enough beer and llamas.

SammyDuddly.jpg

You can never have too many llamas in a thread. :(

what haggis wrote was: You're quite right we could, but last time I checked I wasn't the cache police

I considered that a sarcastic, rude remark in response to someone suggesting using a feature already suppplied by Jeremy (Should be archived)...

I am sure that is how many people read it also....rude and sarcastic

seemse to me...Jeremy may be "rude"...but there seem to be enough people who are okay enough with that to fork over the premium membership fee, buy Groundspeak items, and otherwise support his site.

He must be doing SOME thing right... :(

It does make you wonder how many didn't become premium members because of the rude attitude. Unfortunately, there's probably no way to quantify this.

when one looks at the number who are premium members, I think the number who "aren't because Jeremy is rude" is a pittance.

Since this all seems to have come about by people lack of Monty Python knowledge I will now sing.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay I work all night and sleep all day. I chop down trees, I skip and jump, I wear suspenders and a bra, I wish I was a girly just like my dear mama.

Jeremy promotes this????? I can't remember the last time I turned on the TV and saw Jeremy being interviewed on Good Morning America. Newspaper articles may make mention of him, but they always focus on how the game is played or the local Geocacher with them.

Perhaps you should ask Jeremy when the last time was that he gave information for a media article. I think that you'll find that he takes advantage of any and all opportunities to promote the activity.

btw: if he's not rude when promoting geocaching, why does he need to be rude to those who participate in it?

Actually, I just interviewed Jeremy for Today's Cacher this past weekend. He was gracious and eloquent.

But it took us over a year to get him to agree to the interview. I can say with first hand knowledge that he does not jump at "any and all opportunities" to get media exposure. He seems to prefer to let the site stand on it's own terms.

I think more people should focus on the activity of geocaching and the functionality of the web site, and less on their opinion of Jeremy.

As for your opinion that he's rude, well, he's a grown man and can speak for himself.

To answer the OP.  Jeremy tends to respond to who's posting and how they posted.  When the OP is rude, Jeremy is snippy.  If they ask an honest question his answer is typically straight forward.

No, seriously, I don't.

It's too easy to infer tones in the forums. Face it, you "hear" what you want to hear. Cut people some slack...

Finally, someone else who doesn't see any hostility in Haggis's comments.

Perhaps Jeremy should cut some people some slack and realize that being rude is just not cool. Perhaps Jeremy just likes being antagonistic and looks for it wherever he can get it?

ok so the llama thing is freakin funny. very random ....i like it. as for the rest of this mess...i just left another group cause of all this kind of stuff....i am new to the caching thing, and to this site so as a newbie i suppose i should shut the @#&% up ..but i think some people need to get off the computer and go out side..take a deep breath and think about what is really important. and we need more llamas :(

No, seriously, I don't.

It's too easy to infer tones in the forums. Face it, you "hear" what you want to hear. Cut people some slack...

Perhaps Jeremy should cut some people some slack and realize that being rude is just not cool. Perhaps Jeremy just likes being antagonistic and looks for it wherever he can get it?

Because he doesn't "want" to hear it.

what haggis wrote was: You're quite right we could, but last time I checked I wasn't the cache police

I considered that a sarcastic, rude remark in response to someone suggesting using a feature already suppplied by Jeremy (Should be archived)...

I believe that using Jeremy's logic, his somewhat sarcastic reply was a result of the previous post made by Jeremy. Following Jeremy's logic, there should not have been anything wrong with it.

Edited by MadMarty

I believe that using Jeremy's logic, his somewhat sarcastic reply was a result of the post made my Jeremy. Following Jeremy's logic, there should not have been anything wrong with it.

except that Jeremy's post came AFTER this post...not before...so how was it in response to Jeremy?

Actually, I just interviewed Jeremy for Today's Cacher this past weekend. He was gracious and eloquent.

So then why does he feel the need to be rude towards those in a more intimate setting? It's most likely because it makes the little man feel big when he has the opportunity to belittle those who enter his kingdom.

No, seriously, I don't.

I vote for closing this thread! It has TROLL written all over it.

TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLLTROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL...

Actually, I just interviewed Jeremy for Today's Cacher this past weekend.  He was gracious and eloquent.

So then why does he feel the need to be rude towards those in a more intimate setting? It's most likely because it makes the little man feel big when he has the opportunity to belittle those who enter his kingdom.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ok so the llama thing is freakin funny. very random ....i like it. as for the rest of this mess...i just left another group cause of all this kind of stuff....i am new to the caching thing, and to this site so as a newbie i suppose i should shut the @#&% up ..but i think some people need to get off the computer and go out side..take a deep breath and think about what is really important. and we need more llamas :(

Hi Maggiebelle! As with any internet forum, there is at any given time some sort of angst going on. But for the most part it is a good bunch of folks over here. There is also usually a decent supply of llamas when needed.

Welcome to caching! It is a great hobby and you can meet some really fun people. :(

Perhaps Jeremy just likes being antagonistic and looks for it wherever he can get it?

Talk about antagonising. You've made your point, Jeremy is a rude, nasty, meany and should be shunned by Geocachers everywhere. He was here in Philadelphia, PA in Christmas 2004 and no one knew about it until after he left. I would have loved to take him out for a beer and a llahma ride, but he kept it a big secret.

Just give us all a chance I'm sure we can be even ruder than Jeremy, you've only seen the tip of the iceberg in the fourms so far.

You've made your point, now go find some caches.

Well I had to re-read the original thread to see if Jeremy was in fact rude. I'll summarize here;

odragon proposes that event caches be automatically archived.

Haggis Hunter agrees and suggest that after about 1 month events be automatically archived.

welch responds "Why not just start posting some Needs Archived logs?"

Haggis Hunter says "You're quite right we could, but last time I checked I wasn't the cache police, posting needs archiving logs may start to upset people. If we have something that is mandatory and happens automatically people will accept that is how it happens."

Jeremy responds "Well golly. We don't want to start upsetting people, do we?"

First mistake. Jeremy should've said "The current system of posting should be archived is sufficient. There is no need to automate the process. If there is a legitimate reason for a should be archive log you should worry about upsetting people"

Haggis Hunter took Jeremy's remark as dismissive of his suggestion and respond that Jeremy thinks its ok to upset people.

Jeremy responds by clarifying that he mean that if bothers you that the cache is still active you shouldn't worry about upsetting the owner.

Haggis Hunter feels his suggestion has still been dismissed without a good reason. Those of us who follow the geocaching.com forum regularly know that Jeremy will not make any changes to the website without a good reason. But he didn't make that clear to Haggis Hunter.

Jeremy then respond "Kissing your butt wasn't part of the service contract. I normally set my tone by how you set your tone, which started off as being combative and sarcastic. I figured if you could dish it you could take it. Sorry if I was mistaken (and here's a few kissy poos for you then)."

Well if that isn't rude I don't know what is. I think Jeremy owes Haggis Hunter an apology.

Oh, Jeremy...you're such an antagonistic, conniving, rude, arrogant jerk (who is not as smart as he thinks he is)!

You left out "insignificant footnote". :(

I don't know about you, but I prefer that type of person over cowards who need a dog because they can't bite people themself.

Jan

I believe that using Jeremy's logic, his somewhat sarcastic reply was a result of the post made my Jeremy. Following Jeremy's logic, there should not have been anything wrong with it.

except that Jeremy's post came AFTER this post...not before...so how was it in response to Jeremy?

Yes, you're correct. Perhaps you can explain to me how Haggis's post was antagonistic. Saying that you don't want to come across as the cache police certainly doesn't appear antagonistic to me.