Are You An Ignorant Geocacher?

The relatively new bookmark feature on cache pages is really cool. One part of that I’m sure is well used is the Ignore button.

When I ask, “Are you an ignorant geocacher,” I mean no offense to those who may assume I am referring the mentally challenged, or uninformed.

I’m simply curious as to whether or not you use the Ignore button (and what sorts of things you ignore).

So, bottom line: Do you use the Ignore button, (and what, in general, do you ignore)?

:P:P

Does the ignore button work in unison with Queries? I block micros, however there those that slip through because the owner did not choose a container size.

If I ignore those will they also be ignored in my queries?

Good question (I doubt it).

BTW, I am blissfully ignorant of nothing...at least on my nearest caches list. :lol::P

Edit: (I doubted wrong.) :P

Edited by sept1c_tank

I ignore only truly crappy caches of which there are only five or six by a single person locally.

EDIT TO ADD: Not that I didn't find them. I simply refuse to log a find on them. I truly appreciate the new ignore feature as I can remove said junk from my list. I'm afforded the opportunity to forget about them until I'm asked how not to place a cache.

Edited by CoyoteRed

Up until last night, I was totally ignorant of the PM (Private Message) feature of this board. Take a look at the upper right corner of the screen to see the number of messages you have waiting.

I suggest a nice feature on this board would be the ability to turn off receiving PMs. If someone has something to say, they can say it publicly in the forums or spend the time to send an email.

No, I don't use the "Ignore" button. I couldn't care less how many caches are on my nearest list that I haven't, or don't want, to do.

Some people happily concern themselves with the caches they want to do, and some people worry themselves sick about caches they don't want to do.

Whatever. :P

I ignore 3-4 local caches that I was involved in hiding with a group. I can never 'find' them, but since they aren't hidden under my account, they show up as unfound. I have them on my watch list so I know if someone else found them, but don't need them cluttering up my searches and PQ's. Other than those, I want to know about every other cache out there, even if it's a puzzle that I haven't found in over a year. Maybe someday I'll actually focus on solving it. :P

I really wish there was an ignore button for the forums though, so you wouldn't have to read the same old soapbox statements over and over, in every single thread, relevant to the OP's topic or not. :P

I am totally unignorant at the moment (is that a word?).

If I were to be ignorant, I'd put this one puzzle cache near me on my list. Not that I don't like puzzles, (I've hidden a puzzle cache), but it's an evil urban micro. If I'm going to go through the trouble of finding a puzzle cache, I don't want it to be an evil urban micro, with next to none ability to find it without bringing attention to myself.

I ignore only truly crappy caches

same here. They all happen to be virtuals. Any of those that show up on my nearest list are instantly ignored. :P

After that last response I decided to look at my filtered finds page. Rather than stopping after the first 10 pages, I went out to page 25 and removed another 28 virtuals from my nearest unfound list :P

I have not had the pleasure yet to ignore any caches near me - I'm still trying to find all that are within my home zip code. I will try any cache at least once. I have my own personal goals, once I reach a specific point things may change. For now I am still new to the game and just an impulse cacher.

So, bottom line: Do you use the Ignore button, (and what, in general, do you ignore)?

:P:P

I ignore caches that I'm not really that interested in seeking right now and don't want to keep seeing them in the list (:lol: ). For me that means the couple nearest MOCs. Maybe when I get run out other caches, or I end up going right to the area i'll do them, till then I'm in no hurry. I've also considered ignoring a couple 20 stage? multicaches, but they're far enough away I don't see them often.

same here. They all happen to be virtuals. Any of those that show up on my nearest list are instantly ignored. :P

I wouldn't ignore Virtuals. I have seem some very interesting things and have learned a lot from them.

They are some of the most memorable and enlightening "caches" I have found. :P

I wouldn't ignore Virtuals. I have seem some very interesting things and have learned a lot from them.

For me to claim a smilie on this website, I need to sign the log*. Virtuals, however special they may be to some people, really don't need this site to get visitors. Go to AAA, they'll give you a whole book on things to see while travelling.

* this is something that started last summer or fall and no I'm not going to go back and edit finds to notes from before then.

same here. They all happen to be virtuals. Any of those that show up on my nearest list are instantly ignored. :cry:

For me to claim a smilie on this website, I need to sign the log*. Virtuals, however special they may be to some people, really don't need this site to get visitors. Go to AAA, they'll give you a whole book on things to see while travelling.

Some of the Virtuals I have found wouldn't be in a AAA book. They have been obscure, or unadvertised, unique things or places.

One Virtual told me about a large park that existed in San Diego from the 1890's to the 1930's. I had to answer more than ten questions after visiting the site. It was the most studying and writing I've had to do since I was in college . . . faint.gif

I never would have learned about that place if it hadn't been listed on GC.com.

Completing the requirements for that Virtual was a lot more satisfying than walking up to a lamppost, grabbing a key holder, and signing that log . . . :lol:

Ah . . . but this thread isn't about Virtuals . . . now back to your regularly scheduled discussion . . . :P

same here. They all happen to be virtuals. Any of those that show up on my nearest list are instantly ignored. :cry:

Some of the Virtuals I have found wouldn't be in a AAA book. They have been obscure, or unadvertised, unique things or places.

One Virtual told me about a large park that existed in San Diego from the 1890's to the 1930's. I had to answer more than ten questions after visiting the site. It was the most studying and writing I've had to do since I was in college . . . faint.gif

Completing the requirements for that Virtual was a lot more satisfying than walking up to a lamppost, grabbing a key holder, and signing that log . . . :lol:

Ah . . . but this thread isn't about Virtuals . . . now back to your regularly scheduled discussion . . . :P

But why couldn't there have been a logbook at those locations?

Or, why could those "verification questions" have been clues to a container hidden a short distance away? You see, there is no good reason for a virtual

Completing the requirements for that Virtual was a lot more satisfying than walking up to a lamppost, grabbing a key holder, and signing that log . . . ;)

Ah . . . but this thread isn't about Virtuals . . . now back to your regularly scheduled discussion . . . :lol:

But why couldn't there have been a logbook at those locations?

Or, why could those "verification questions" have been clues to a container hidden a short distance away? You see, there is no good reason for a virtual

I own a cache that could have been a Virtual . . . if they had been accepting them . . .

There was no place to put a container in that neighborhood. I drove around and around and really tried to find a location nearby. I finally placed a container in a location a couple of miles away. Because of that, the cache got listed as a puzzle. :P

Some of the other Virtuals I have found have been like that. I simply don't know how you would put a container nearby . . .

And if the container was placed more than a mile away, it would be listed as a puzzle . . . and would be on my Ignore list . . . and I would never know about it . . . :cry::o

...You see, there is no good reason for a virtual

Sure there is. Otherwise you wouldn't have any reason to use the ignore button (which, as already pointed out, is the topic of this discussion). :lol::P:P

Ok, ok...now where's the ignore buton for people that aren't creative enough to make a unique container for places you can't put a standard micro? :cry:

After that last response I decided to look at my filtered finds page. Rather than stopping after the first 10 pages, I went out to page 25 and removed another 28 virtuals from my nearest unfound list :P

While I understand your reasonings, I still think you can find some virtuals and enjoy the experience at the same time.

This cache is one of that particular example. Virtual, inside a National Park. 1.7 mile hike to get to it, so it's not like you're going to a plaque and reading something to get information off of it.

I haven't found many virtuals, and the ones I have found, many could have been turned into micros or small caches in the local area very easily. The one above can't, but it gets people out to areas of the park that might get overlooked. That's what I've always liked about geocaching. It gets me to areas, even in my own backyard, that I might not have explored before.

Since I'm going to be camping up in Sequoia next month, I'll be doing that virtual, as well as a couple of other virts that I know you wouldn't go near with a ten foot pole. That's ok. We agree to disagree.

I would do me no good. To me, caches are like pokemon..."Gotta catch 'em all!"

Even if I ignored a cache, I'd know it was out there, teasing me...tormenting me...caaaaaaalling me! If it has been determined missing or is disabled, I want to know IMMEDIATELY if/when it is back up again. By ignoring a cache, I would probably end up paying MORE attention to it.

I was very excited about the ignore feature when it was launched, but (unless I've messed something up) was disappointed to discover it only affects PQs. I mean, yes, that's a good feature and I use it, but I do all my preliminary scouting via "nearest caches" and the maps, where my ignored caches show up just fine.

Yes, I understand the GC maps have a high overhead, and hence little customization. I suppose most of you scout via something like GSAK. Gradually, I'm happy to say, caches on my list for general lameness appear to be archiving themselves out.

AuntieWeasel Posted on Jul 16 2005, 06:22 PM

I was very excited about the ignore feature when it was launched, but (unless I've messed something up) was disappointed to discover it only affects PQs.

When you are seeking Cache Pages (if you use the Advanced Search option) check off the box: Exclude hidden/found items from results. That will also filter out ignored Caches.

edit: fixed typo

Edited by Cardinal Red
AuntieWeasel Posted on Jul 16 2005, 06:22 PM
I was very excited about the ignore feature when it was launched, but (unless I've messed something up) was disappointed to discover it only affects PQs.

When you are seeking Cache Pages (if you you the Advanced Search option) check off the box: Exclude hidden/found items from results. That will also filter out ignored Caches.

Oh, that's handy to know. I never use Advanced Search, but perhaps I will in future.

Thanks mostly to the energy of my fellow cachers (especially newbies), I'm back up to 8 pages of unfound caches within twenty miles of my house. This is important to me, as the Weaselmobile has just passed 191,000 miles and I'm just drivin' it until it dies. Preferably not on a lonely dirt road fifty miles from home. Thank you, locals!

I ignore 3-4 local caches that I was involved in hiding with a group. I can never 'find' them, but since they aren't hidden under my account, they show up as unfound. I have them on my watch list so I know if someone else found them, but don't need them cluttering up my searches and PQ's. Other than those, I want to know about every other cache out there, even if it's a puzzle that I haven't found in over a year. Maybe someday I'll actually focus on solving it. 

Yep, the ones that i have helped hide are the only ones on my ignore list. Otherwise, we're gonna try to find them if they are local. Im with others in that we dont care for seeking out Virtuals so ignoring them in pocket queries takes care of that.

I ignore only truly crappy caches of which there are only five or six by a single person locally.

EDIT TO ADD: Not that I didn't find them. I simply refuse to log a find on them. I truly appreciate the new ignore feature as I can remove said junk from my list. I'm afforded the opportunity to forget about them until I'm asked how not to place a cache.

We've come across some crappy caches as well but we still log them. No, they werent worth the effort and for that reason, we make sure to at least get something good out of them in the form of a smiley. They definitely wont get any praise from us though!

Not old enough to figure out what the ignore button does. I like to have those close caches "nagging" me on my weekly updates from PQ. It gets me angry so I go hunt them until I bring the buggers down in a hail of electrons and a GPS dance... really, haven't met a cache I didn't like yet. B)