My Crazy Mutt

Stuey

Thought I'd just blow a trumpet to say that Ozzy passed his Kennel Club Good Citizen Gold test for dog obedience tonight. At just 19 months old, that's pretty good going I'm told.

So.... if he happens to lick you or want to play with you if you meet him, it's because he LIKES you, not because he is disobedient :blink::ph34r:

fadfdcee-fcd8-462a-8d64-330d8a828ccc.jpg

Way t' go Ozzy :lol:

Chester had a go at this, but failed his Bronze :D , don't tell him I told you though as he gets very embarased.

He didn't start until he was 2 (he was a stray before that :o ), so it just goes to prove you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

<<So.... if he happens to lick you or want to play with you if you meet him, it's because he LIKES you, not because he is disobedient >>

Maybe, but with all the respect and politeness in the world... don't you doggy people understand that some people find this behaviour utterly abhorrent? We DON'T want any dog licking us... and there are plenty that are sufficiently well behaved not to. Last weekend we were out caching along some country lanes. A dog-walker approached with two large Alasatian-type dogs. Fearing the worst we moved as far from the path as possible, but they paid no attention to us and walked straight past. We thanked their owner and exchanged friendly greetings. A little while later whilst retrieving a cache we were pestered by a smaller animal that started to climb on us frantically... usual nonsense "It's OK, he's only being friendly" shouted by some totally moronic woman 50 yards away...."

So, doggy people, please train your pets to respect other people and then those people might not be so frightened... Thanks very much.

<<So.... if he happens to lick you or want to play with you if you meet him, it's because he LIKES you, not because he is disobedient >>

I read it simply as a jokey ending .

On serious note ,recently when out caching , we were told by a dog owner that

some peoples habit of nicely fussing dogs that jump up at them ,as strangers ,is rewarding the dog for bad behaviour .

Big Taf had had just made a nice fuss of their 16 week puppy that had jumped up at him.

The puppy has just started training sessions with owner .

Fear it is too late to retrain Big Taf .

:lol::D Good work Ozzy :D :D .

I did not know there were tests for dogs. I must look for Jake, he would love that. Maybe a bit old at four though :o .

Now if I can just train Ozzy to take you to TP's :P:D

Edited by Deego

Maybe, but with all the respect and politeness in the world... don't you doggy people understand that some people find this behaviour utterly abhorrent? We DON'T want any dog licking us... and there are plenty that are sufficiently well behaved not to. Last weekend we were out caching along some country lanes. A dog-walker approached with two large Alasatian-type dogs. Fearing the worst we moved as far from the path as possible, but they paid no attention to us and walked straight past. We thanked their owner and exchanged friendly greetings. A little while later whilst retrieving a cache we were pestered by a smaller animal that started to climb on us frantically... usual nonsense "It's OK, he's only being friendly" shouted by some totally moronic woman 50 yards away...."

So, doggy people, please train your pets to respect other people and then those people might not be so frightened... Thanks very much.

Somebody I use to work with many years ago, had a "friendly" dog. He would walk him in a local park without a leash everyday. One day, he jump on this fellow, who didn't know (at least he claimed) that the dog was friendly and he broke the dogs neck. He claimed the dog jumped on him agressively and he was just defending himself.

Since the owner didn't have control of the dog, the dog owner was the one who ended up with legal problems.

It is very sad that this happened, but it is something to remember. We take our dog caching with us all the time. We don't keep her on a leash all the time, but we are mindful of other folks that are around.

DC

Well done Ozzy. I must say, I have never met a vicious flatcoat, but plenty of completely potty ones!! My mates flatcoat managed to sneak into the kitchen and skillfully steal some food. He then slunk off to his basket to eat it undisturbed. What did he chose for his gormet feast? ... a bag of chili powder !!! :lol:

Maybe, but with all the respect and politeness in the world... don't you doggy people understand that some people find this behaviour utterly abhorrent?

t.a. folk had it right, it was a jokey ending. I have always deterred Ozzy from jumping up and licking strangers. The bits about "Kennel Club" and "Gold Award" and "Obedience" in my original post were important, and to anyone who knows nothing (or anything for that matter) about dogs, you should please realise that this scheme is all about training both owners and dogs to fit in with society.

We have been doing these training sessions (weekly for 15 months) for the very reasons that you mention. We don't want him jumping all over people, or being disobedient, or worrying people that are nervous with dogs around. Please be assured that we and all other dog owners who take part in the Kennel Club Good Citizen scheme are doing this for your benefit as well as ours and our dogs.

We are quite rightfully proud of his achievement.

Edited by Stuey