Birding While 'caching

egli

Just curious, does anyone else bird while 'caching? I'm a fairly avid birder w/ much GPS & map experience but a newbie to 'caching. After checking all of the registered cache placements in OR I notice that most of my favorite birding haunts are generally populated with caches nearby.

Cheers!

egli

Hi egli!

I also bird while caching, just as I bird while hiking, while golfing, while driving to work...well you get the point. Many of the spots which are good for birding are also scenic in one way or another, so you will often find caches nearby.

Cheers--

I like to mix caching, birding and identifing wild flowers with caching. Some of my caching partners get impatient with me but most are either tolerant or enjoy learning more about them. They just get tired of me taking all the photos of the flowers.

Anyone who's been caching with me knows I can't help naming the birds I see or hear- or the flora either. Comes from my days as a birder and volunteer for the WSDFW. We saw a Sharpie hunting this weekend off of US 2. Some of my favorite places around WA are birding hot spots.

I'm always in bird-mode. I love caching with LittleBlue, because she can ID the birds from their songs alone. B) I have to see them before I can figure out what they are.

Anyone can bird by ear. It's simple. The trick is to say the name of the bird REALLY LOUDLY. Scares the bird away and no one can prove you were wrong. B)

I'm always in bird-mode.  I love caching with LittleBlue, because she can ID the birds from their songs alone.  B)  I have to see them before I can figure out what they are.

Anyone can bird by ear. It's simple. The trick is to say the name of the bird REALLY LOUDLY. Scares the bird away and no one can prove you were wrong. B)

B)

Stump, I meant to tell you that I saw some more turkey vultures on our trip to Eastern WA last week. I was able to ID them because of your help with the ones I saw at Carrolls Bluff. B)

I like anything to do with the outdoors: birding, flowers, plants, animals...etc.

Off the top of my head, I've seen Great Blue Herons, Flickers, Bluebirds, Crows ( :huh: ), Ospreys, various Hawks and Eagles, heard a Ring-necked Pheasant, and various other birds like Yellow Rumped Warblers, Chickadees, House Sparrows, Hummingbirds, etc.

:(

I too bird while caching, but I am not known to formally bird any more. I mean, binos remain in the backpack, and bird books remain at home. I can ID some birds by song, but I usually keep to myself when out caching with others.

Caching is fun because it gets us out there in the woods. I mean I am going on an overnight this weekend just to grab caches, but I will enjoy the hike, and the views, and the company, all while caching.

I'm a new arrival in the USA so my geocaching equipment also includes a Field Guide for birds. Generally only on the hike in or the hike out, I've found that rustling about near the geocache tends to drive some (not all) of thr wildlife away, primarily the birds.

Went out last night and left Tiff at home, came back and the following conversation took place.

Tiff: Did you find it this time?

Me: Nah, I got no where near it, but on the way I did spot a variety of bird X.

No such thing as a DNF in our hosehold. :huh:

I do bird while caching, but I'm not real great at it, I read a lot about birding but often have a tough time figuring out what exactly it was I saw. Still, I do my best.

Here a Whimbrel I saw at Ocen Shores:

642498_600.jpg

And Ptarmigans on Vesper:

698419_1000.jpg

Edited by EraSeek

Inmywoods seems to know her birds! At her place, we have all sorts...even killdeer who nest in her pasture. Their nest is basically a slight depression in the ground. We saw the newly hatched babies the other day...cute! Anyway, we spotted a nice bunch of quail up at Richmond Beach. I wasn't able to get the camera up in time. Another day, we saw an owl fly up from the road....couldn't Id the species as it happened pretty fast. This was way up near the Walt Bailey trailhead access for the Cutthroat Lakes and summit of Bald Mt.

Check out the cool owl we saw on our way to the APE cache last fall.  I haven't been able to determine whether it is a spotted owl or a barred owl.

It's a Barred Owl. Those are bars on it's belly not spots.

The guy I asked when I found it, said I'd have to see the back of his neck to be sure. I wondered how anybody would ever ID them in the field since they're always looking back at you.

I like to mix caching, birding and identifing wild flowers with caching.  Some of my caching partners get impatient with me but most are either tolerant or enjoy learning more about them.  They just get tired of me taking all the photos of the flowers.

It's when she starts taking pictures of fake owls when I get a little impatient... :D

The Navigatorz Posted on Jul 6 2005, 06:25 AM

I like to do some birding while caching too. I also like to go deering, elking, and occassionally if I'm lucky some bearing too. 

Baring? :lol:

The guy I asked when I found it, said I'd have to see the back of his neck to be sure. I wondered how anybody would ever ID them in the field since they're always looking back at you.

Why? Was he wearing a shirt with his name on the back? :lol:

I've never heard of having to see the back of their neck. I checked 5 ID books and none of them mentioned that. From the photo (assuming the eyes were dark on the actual bird) I'm fairly confident it's a Barred Owl. Those streaks are pretty distinctive in that photo.

It also looks larger, seems to have an orange-yellow bill, and it's neck (the front) looks more like a barred than a spotted. And it's too light for a Pacific Spotted Owl which is the only kind you'd find up there.

Of course, the best ID would have been it's call.

I've never heard of having to see the back of their neck. I checked 5 ID books and none of them mentioned that.

I looked back through my email and here's what he said:

It’s either a Barred Owl or a Spotted Owl.  They both look very similar.  On the top of the head and the back of the neck, both owls have white markings. The white markings look like bars on the Barred Owl, and like spots on the Spotted Owl.

He is the guy that does the Owl Prowls on the Soos Creek Trail in Kent. But I think you have the right of it, Stump.

More seriouslynow: since I've moved I'm becoming more and more interested in birding. I'm not exactly sure why, but I think it's because of the colors of the birds here. Quite plentiful - so much so that I often stop and watch while I'm out.

Of course I have no idea what I'm looking at unless it's, say, a cardinal, a heron, a hawk, or the ever present turkey vulture looking for a nice pile of roadkill...

Any suggestions for field guides? I'm afraid I'm a birder or two short out here to take along with me!

THANKS!

Any suggestions for field guides?  I'm afraid I'm a birder or two short out here to take along with me!

Best guide is Sibley'sfield guide. But it's too big to carry in the field for most people.

A smaller, easier to carry guide is Peterson's.

And if you want photos rather than drawings then you get Stoke's.

Oops! Forgot to add, the latter two are Eastern US (or Western US for those of us that live in the better part of America B) ) only.

Edited by Stump

The other day we were caching at Silver creek and LucyandRickie asked me what bird that was. I didn't know.

This bird, that I call the bell bird, is on the west slopes of the cascades. I hear it often. I have only heard it but never seen it. It sounds like a bell to me. It is one long vibrateing note, usually high up in the crown of the forest and often you can hear several of these birds calling back and forth. It is hard to tell where they are due to the nature of the call.

There is also another bird in the suburbs that I can never spot. This bird's song is three notes, all the same note and very bland sounding.

Anyone know?

I like anything to do with the outdoors: birding, flowers, plants, animals...etc.

Off the top of my head, I've seen Great Blue Herons, Flickers, Bluebirds, Crows ( B) ), Ospreys, various Hawks and Eagles, heard a Ring-necked Pheasant, and various other birds like Yellow Rumped Warblers, Chickadees, House Sparrows, Hummingbirds, etc.

:mad:

No Quail or Grouse? How odd.

The other day we were caching at Silver creek and LucyandRickie asked me what bird that was. I didn't know.

This bird, that I call the bell bird, is on the west slopes of the cascades. I hear it often. I have only heard it but never seen it. It sounds like a bell to me. It is one long vibrateing note, usually high up in the crown of the forest and often you can hear several of these birds calling back and forth. It is hard to tell where they are due to the nature of the call.

Is it a Swainson's Thrush? wav file

Edited by Stump

Is it a Swainson's Thrush? wav file

No, though I definately heard a Swainson's Thrush also along with the "bell birds". The "bell birds" have a single vibrating note. It does not have the melodic mutli-notes of the Swainson. I'm thinking they are something like camp-robbers.

I think maybe my "Bell Bird" is a Varied Thrush :

That would have been my second guess. Chose Swainson's first because Varied Thrush (aka Oregon Robin) are usually pretty easy to find whereas Swainson's are all but impossible to see most times.

There is also another bird in the suburbs that I can never spot. This bird's song is three notes, all the same note and very bland sounding.

Anyone know?

What about the Red Breasted Nuthatch? wav file The wav file has four notes but I usually hear them in threes around here.

I assumed your bell bird was in the summer- I don't think Varied Thrushes are calling right now- but if you mean winterish you are right, they do sound like a bell! I always think of it as a whistle with lots of tones at once, in alternating pitches. The nuthatch says 'ank, ank, ank'. If it's *really* high pitched it could be golden drowned kinglet. Or sometimes the black capped chickadee has a feeding/ flock call that's three notes pretty bland sounding. Where do you get those .wav files to link, Stump? Cool!

I assumed your bell bird was in the summer- I don't think Varied Thrushes are calling right now- but if you mean winterish you are right, they do sound like a bell!

Where do you get those .wav files to link, Stump? Cool!

Also, the white crowned sparrow is a suburbs bird with a pretty band call. The middle note is kinda synchopated, but other wise bland. Is this a nesting season call or year round?

Varied Thrushes are just now entering breeding season and should be calling quite a bit right now.

I get the .wav files by doing a google search. I used to have a good source but it seems to be gone now.

I love the White-crowned Sparrow songs. Always look forward to them in the spring. Their calls vary pretty widely so it's hard to get a .wav file but here's the one closest to our local ones: wav file

Any suggestions for field guides?  I'm afraid I'm a birder or two short out here to take along with me!

Best guide is Sibley'sfield guide. But it's too big to carry in the field for most people.

A smaller, easier to carry guide is Peterson's.

And if you want photos rather than drawings then you get Stoke's.

Oops! Forgot to add, the latter two are Eastern US (or Western US for those of us that live in the better part of America ;) ) only.

I have a small Sibley's that I sometimes carry with me. It is about the size of the Peterson's. But when I am trying to identify a bird I prefer the Peterson's. The books with the colored pictures make nice books to look at but I find them harder to identify with. I have several types of bird books from coffee table size to in the backpack or car size.

Here is the page Stump used. http://www.geocities.com/birdwatchernj/birdsongs/

None of those where right. The Black capped chickdee was closest in one of it's songs, but too shrill and only two pronouncements of the same note. This guy sounds like someone learning to whistle and whistles three of the very same note. Just a plain mid-range note.

On the varied thrush I think Stump must be right, cuase they were doing their thing a few days ago at Silver Creek. I have seen Varied Thrush before, but had never heard and seen at the same time. Very impressive in the deep forest.

Does the Sibley guide have everything I'm likely to see in the PNW?

Yes, it includes (almost?) every bird that's ever been seen in the United States. 810 species.

Sibley's has come out with smaller versions of its field guide, Western and Eastern regions. They fit nicely in the pocket of cargo pants.

I've found Sibleys guides to be useful for ID'ing birds b/c the paintings show the differences in plumages and age of the birds better than the photos in Peterson or Stokes. However, the habitat descriptions and species accounts are better in Peterson or Stokes. Sibley is a little sparse on words to figure out if you're in the right habitat for the bird in question.