Geocaching Linked With Crime

Yes to both, in aluminium baskets :unsure:

Incidentally - in this case there is a pronounciation difference (a bit like the German ä) - we say "payed-o-file", you say "ped-o-file".  Same creature though.

The Brits I know pronounce it "peed-o-phile." And no, I did NOT say that just so I could type "pee" in the forums.

They all do say aluminiumnium, though.

Hello All,

Yes it is being reported that Joseph Duncan was a geocacher. They only metioned 1 time here on our local news in Spokane WA. His Geocaching user name is jetd63 according to krem2 News here in Spokane When I look it up on Geocaching.com it only shows he found 10 caches in North Dokota from Oct. 2004 thru Dec. 2004.

I do not see how this is going to affect Geocaching one way or another!

TheDiver

When I look it up on Geocaching.com it only shows he found 10 caches in North Dokota from Oct. 2004 thru Dec. 2004. 

I realize this is a completely fatuous observation, but his logs sound...so normal. They're only a few lines long, but I've read short logs that managed to sound fairly insane.

Brrr. Like watching Manson read a newspaper -- just so disturbingly normal.

When I look it up on Geocaching.com it only shows he found 10 caches in North Dokota from Oct. 2004 thru Dec. 2004. 

I realize this is a completely fatuous observation, but his logs sound...so normal. They're only a few lines long, but I've read short logs that managed to sound fairly insane.

Brrr. Like watching Manson read a newspaper -- just so disturbingly normal.

It always remind me of Wednesday in the Addams Family movie with no costume.

‘I’m going as a psychopathic killer, they look like everyone else’.

Any exposure is good exposure? ummm, no pun intended.

:unsure::o:o:o:o:o

Seriously, though, I think you're right. We've already gained one new geocacher from the Court TV nonsense. Who knows how many else will look into the game and be turned on by what they see? (Again, no pun intended.)

The armchair detectives will be too busy to care about us geocachers in a few days. Remember, they need to watch a LOT of Court TV to stay informed enough to spend all that time on the network's forums.

Wired did a write up on this guys "electronic life". The armchair internet detectives even got a mention.

Man. How long does it have to be the "geek sport of geocaching" already? They don't prefix online gambling as "the geek sport of online poker" or blogging as the "self-obsessive activity of blogging."

The pseudorandom photos on the front page don't bear this whole geek typecast thing out.

Sheesh.

Man. How long does it have to be the "geek sport of geocaching" already? They don't prefix online gambling as "the geek sport of online poker" or blogging as the "self-obsessive activity of blogging."

The pseudorandom photos on the front page don't bear this whole geek typecast thing out.

Perhaps posting more pictures of minorities would make it less geeky :unsure:

And stop posting all the pictures of children, it may attract pedophiles.

Wired did a write up on this guys "electronic life". The armchair internet detectives even got a mention.

Sheesh.

According to another story, geocaching is geek-chic.

From Page 14 of the "Online Activities of Duncan/Encrypted" CTV forum.

Apart from the fact that more than one source has discussed NSA's ability to crack PGP, (how do you think terrorists send messages? they use pgp as well), here is another tidbit that I found interesting.

http://www.austinlinks.com/Crypto/break-pgp.html

"A lot of people think that PGP encryption is unbreakable and that the NSA/FBI/CIA/MJ12 cannot read their mail. This is wrong, and it can be a deadly mistake. In Idaho, a left-wing activist by the name of Craig Steingold was arrested one day before he and others were to stage a protest at government buildings; the police had a copy of a message sent by Steingold to another activist, a message which had been encrypted with PGP and sent through E-mail. "

I don't know whether to be amazed, scared, or just laugh that not a single person on that forum as commented about this. Are the all so oblivious that they don't even know it's a joke article? It's like reading The Onion and thinking it's a real newspaper.

I know it's not exactly on topic of the discussion, but when people are so oblivious, or gullible, about false information I wonder how they find their way across a lighted room, much less provide any help to law enforcement.

It's like reading The Onion and thinking it's a real newspaper.

You might be surprised how often that happens. Just last week, someone hung an Onion article in the breakroom at work. Something about Chinese factory workers laughing at how much junk (not the word they used) Americans buy. There were highlighted sections and angry notes written all over it. I added a note that it was from a joke site; my note was removed.

As far as the whole PGP being ubreakable might be some truth to the rumor. The progammer who wrote PGP was repeatedly prosecuted by the federal government because it was unbreakable. Since the software was freeware, no one was paying for it, and a friend of his posted it on the internet they couldn't charge or convict him. The rumor is that later versions of PGP have a back door for some goverment agencies so they can read stuff that is encryptedand they would leave the progammer alone. Whether or not that is true I don't know.

I did meet the head of the Disney's computer security in the late 90's and he did mention they had used the guy who wrote PGP as a consultant. He told me that the programer who created PGP said the sun would burn out before you could break it.

Edited by magellan315

Let me preface this by saying that I am not / have not / will not defend pedos, and I agree with Right Wing Wacko on the whole punishment issue.

That said, why do we get so caught up in this serial killer / pedophile stuff? More kids die from hard candy each year? Where is the uproar about that? How many times have you driven past someone who didn't have their kids buckled in the car? I don't see the news wire flashes about that. More college kids die each year from alcohol poisoning than the total victims of serial killers. There are over 70,000 alcohol related sexual assaults on college campuses each year.

Do we have our priorities a bit messed up? Let's just shoot this bas***d and move on to the next issue.

That said, why do we get so caught up in this serial killer / pedophile stuff? More kids die from hard candy each year? Where is the uproar about that?

Probably because torture and sexual abuse is much more horrible an act or death than choking on hard candy. It punches any sane individual in the gut to know that a sickness like this exists in the world.

As far as the whole PGP being unbreakable might be some truth to the rumor...

No. There isn't. You can even see the code yourself. You either need "social engineering" (stealing the user's password) or "brute force" (trying all combinations of factors for the encryption method).

That is all.

That said, why do we get so caught up in this serial killer / pedophile stuff?  More kids die from hard candy each year?  Where is the uproar about that?

Probably because torture and sexual abuse is much more horrible an act or death than choking on hard candy. It punches any sane individual in the gut to know that a sickness like this exists in the world.

I understand that viewpoint, however, we cannot control another person's mind. A death is a death, no matter the events leading to it. My point is that we can prevent the things that are caused by negligence or poor judgement.

I apologize for moving off topic and will submit to reading the remainder of the points presented.

Let me preface this by saying that I am not / have not / will not defend pedos, and I agree with Right Wing Wacko on the whole punishment issue.

That said, why do we get so caught up in this serial killer / pedophile stuff?  More kids die from hard candy each year?  Where is the uproar about that?  How many times have you driven past someone who didn't have their kids buckled in the car?  I don't see the news wire flashes about that.  More college kids die each year from alcohol poisoning than the total victims of serial killers.  There are over 70,000 alcohol related sexual assaults on college campuses each year.

Do we have our priorities a bit messed up?  Let's just shoot this bas***d and move on to the next issue.

What I don't get is all the commotion and debate on Death Penalty, yet no one ever mentions convicted child murderer/molester as the perfect candidate.

No one wants them back in society after they serve their time, so why not euthanize them? Deterrent, punishment, and community approval all-in-one.

(Wearing flame suit to prepare comments from civil libertarians)

If people stereotype Geocaching as a sport that attract pedophiles just from this incident alone, then they are guilty of blind prejudice - isn't that sort of like racism?

One of his quotes from the pedo's logs

Joni and I found this one, almost gave up though because it was so small and hard to find. The clue helped alot. Signed log, took "Buckle Up" clasp (I can use this for SCUBA diving), left keychain pocket knife (a dangerous terrorist weapon at most airports).

Scuba diving is going to take a hit to right? :D

Gotta agree with Right Wing Wacko

He doesn't need to be left alive.