How Many Different Icons?

Not sure if this should be in the Getting Started section or here, forgive me if I have it in the wrong forum....

We've been caching for about 9 months now, and I've become addicted to getting as many icons as I can in our profile.... How many are currently available? To date we have :

Traditional Caches

Multi-caches

Virtual Caches

Letterbox Hybrids

Event Caches

Unknown (Mystery) Caches

Locationless (Reverse) Caches

NGS Benchmarks

Travel Bug Dog Tags

Jeep 4x4 Travel Bugs

2005 White Jeep Travel Bugs

The only others that come to mind are:

Web cam

Cito event

usa geocoin

Earth Cache

Are there others that I have overlooked? We have a vacation coming up starting thursday and I want to grab as many of the availabe cache types that we can. Picked up the yellow jeep and benchmark today... Wooo Hooo

Thanks in advance :blink:

If you look in my profile you will see all the cache types and all the icons except the GWIII coin.

This of course leads me to my next question :blink: What is a Project Ape Cache? Looked on the cache types page (as I had before) and didn't see them? Let me in please.... :blink:

So basically what that is saying, is that the project is dead therefore the APE icon no longer available to be had? If that is the case I'm sitting pretty :blink: Is that the case?

If you go and read the stuff at Markwell's link, you'll see that there are 2? of the originals still active.

There are three active APE caches, in Illinois, Maryland and Washington. Bonus question: name someone who has found all three of them. :blink:

Sounds like Iceburger will be traveling to Washington DC, Chicago or Seattle sometime soon. :blink:

Edited by Keystone
There are three active APE caches, in Illinois, Maryland and Washington.  Bonus question: name someone who has found all three of them.  :blink:

Sounds like Iceburger will be traveling to Washington DC, Chicago or Seattle sometime soon.  :D

dozens of profile checks later (doh!).... I'm going to say puppymonster's two legged sidekick :(

and DeRock & The Psychic Cacher

and wildman004

how many are there?

Edited by welch
No if you look at the list provided on Markwell's page, you'll see that there are still three active project A.P.E. caches. Conveniently, one on the east coast, in Maryland, one on the west coast, in Washington and one in Illinois.

Not so convenient for overseas cachers. Ditto for benchmarks.

Nice to see a definitive icon list.

Is'nt it about time TB's and cache icons were separated ?

You know that you're an addicted geocacher when you plan your vacation to find an APE cache! With any luck, we should have it by the end of next week! :blink: (Plus a lot of virtuals in DC...) Plus trading my brother a White Jeep for his GWIII coin.

We're doing that, and hitting one July 6th!

On my stats page Ive got a full set of icons except for benchmark and APE cache.....I think  :blink: .

Dude! Ossamattafoyou? A benchmark? You could probably step outside right this minute and find a benchmark. You've probably already found a bunch near cache sites and just didn't log them. To be so near having the whole Franklin Mint set and blow off one of the easiest ones...honestly!

Do it...for the icon.

I've found something like 30 benchmarks, but I haven't logged any of them as finds. This is a symbolic protest against those who take metal disks way too seriously, just as some of us take tupperware way too seriously. I don't want my log nitpicked because I didn't take the correct photo of the reference mark lined up with the main station and the azimuth mark during sunset on the summer solstice, in some sort of NGS-inspired Stonehenge knockoff.

I am the Team 360 of benchmarking. I am a rebel. I feel naughty, and I like it. I am proud to have an incomplete set of icons.

On my stats page Ive got a full set of icons except for benchmark and APE cache.....I think  :blink: .

Dude! Ossamattafoyou? A benchmark? You could probably step outside right this minute and find a benchmark. You've probably already found a bunch near cache sites and just didn't log them. To be so near having the whole Franklin Mint set and blow off one of the easiest ones...honestly!

Do it...for the icon.

Screw benchmarks! That's where I draw the line.

I did the National Map Corps thing for a while, and haven't even bother to log the benchmarks that I have already found for that project.

Do it...for the icon.

Screw benchmarks! That's where I draw the line.

I did the National Map Corps thing for a while, and haven't even bother to log the benchmarks that I have already found for that project.

Personally I much rather find benchmarks that are not listed on this site (or USGS)

In pittsburgh I found a few near "fred and barney's place), one in the northern tip of the island (Ben Herr, and Elves cross that bridge) and on monday I found one from the city of pittsburgh survey dpt. up at grandview park (Highest point in the city)

It's harder because you keep your eyes open everywhere, there is no sheet to tell you where to look.

Joe Smith

Hey. If anybody wants to sign my name in the next Project APE cache they visit, I'll happily send you a picture of my GPS at the earthcache down the street from me so you can claim that as your own...

Anyone? Anyone? :rolleyes:

I'd rather have some serial numbers off one of those elusive gwIII or german geocoins :blink:

You know that you're an addicted geocacher when you plan your vacation to find an APE cache!  With any luck, we should have it by the end of next week!  :blink:  (Plus a lot of virtuals in DC...)  Plus trading my brother a White Jeep for his GWIII coin.

Na, you are still wimpy in my eyes. :blink::rolleyes:

You know you are an addicted geocacher when you plan your vacation around visiting the last remaining Ape Cache you have left to find, going to the Un-Original Stash and the Original Stash Plaque *and* driving for 18 hours across 4 states in a 24 hour period to click off all of your remaining unvisited states on the west coast except for one so you can work further toward your goal of visiting all 50 states and doing the last state's cache as it gets dark all the while leaving 1.5 hours to go visit the world headquarters of one of your favorite gaming software companies, which happened to be "on the way".

:blink:

I did see some great countryside at least. :blink: Man, they grow a lot of potatoes in WA state.

I look forward to your logs on my DC caches. :P

There are three active APE caches, in Illinois, Maryland and Washington.  Bonus question: name someone who has found all three of them.  :rolleyes:

Sounds like Iceburger will be traveling to Washington DC, Chicago or Seattle sometime soon.  :P

dozens of profile checks later (doh!).... I'm going to say puppymonster's two legged sidekick :blink:

and DeRock & The Psychic Cacher

and wildman004

how many are there?

Very nicely done! You can now add MissJenn to that list as well.

I look forward to your logs on my DC caches. B)

i'll be heading down there Friday (tmrw), don't delete my logs. :P

:)

Just get the answers to the questions right! :D:D

answers? questions? :)

no "Interesting spot. TNLNSL TFTC" copied and pasted for each log?

:D

... work further toward your goal of visiting all 50 states...

Hey, slow down. My goal is to reach all 50 states, AND to get there before you do.

Keep in mind of course that layovers in airports don't count for this :). (I'm not accusing anyone of such, I just hate it when people count that as visiting a state).

For me, 48 or 49, because for the life of me I can't remember if I've visited North Dakota. (Alaska being the other).

And to stay somewhat on topic, I don't have MOST of the icons :).

... work further toward your goal of visiting all 50 states...

Hey, slow down. My goal is to reach all 50 states, AND to get there before you do.

Keep in mind of course that layovers in airports don't count for this :). (I'm not accusing anyone of such, I just hate it when people count that as visiting a state).

No, you are missing the point. When I say "states visited" I mean that I have visited a geocache and signed my name on a logbook in 35 states. I drove 50 miles into Montana just to open the cache and sign the logbook. I hiked 2 miles up the side of a mountain in ID just to sign the logbook. I think I have been to almost all 48 contiguous states in my life, but we are only talking about finding a cache in each state in this discussion.

For a complete set of found icons feel free to visit my profile page. B):)

Once the Utah Geocoins go live I will be adding that to my profile as well. B)

When I say "states visited" I mean that I have visited a geocache and signed my name on a logbook in 35 states.

Ok, now that's fairly impressive. Geocaching didn't exist when I visted most of them, and for me, geoacaching is kinda an "also-do" when vacationing. I'll grab a cache if it's convenient, but not the primary purpose for my travels.

There is every reason to travel, but geocaching is one of the best.

You can check my profile, I have all the icons including the GW3 coin.

Yes, I admit it.  I'm an Icon ho!  :wacko:

You haven't logged a CITO event so :blink: .

No but I hosted one. Some people have told me I should log it as attended it as well, but I'll just leave it as hosted.

In any case the Cito icon is on my profile so :blink::mad:

Pretty impressive, Doc! :mad::unsure: