Emailing Bug Holder

twjolson & Kay

I have a couple people holding a couple of my bugs. They have had them since may 3 and may 8th. One hasn't done any caching since, and the other has found one. I want to email them and see whats up. I realize that people get busy, etc, and don't want to push them, but at the same time, I don't want them to forget my bugs.

What is a reasonable time to wait before emailing them?

What should I say? Anyone have a form letter that doesn't sound like it's pushy?

We are new to geocaching. As a matter of fact, we started on Mother's Day (May 8th) We came across a TB and picked it up. We logged it and posted somewhere that we intended to drop it off the next weekend. Next weekend, we grabbed the little guy and set out. Well, we didn't find the cache. :) We came home, put the kids down for a nap and then that evening decided to find another cache. This time we found it but forgot the TB at home. This Sunday will be two weeks and although I didn't intend to keep him this long, we are still within the guidelines posted here.

If you are worried, I would just drop them a little email checking in with them. But without looking anything up, it sounds like I have one of your TB's. :) The TB we have will be going out this weekend.

Edited by fishfam

After reading that my bug's holder had logged over a dozen new finds, I emailed him the following letter (edited slightly):

"Hi, I'm Hoppingcrow, the owner of Wiggly-Legged Travel Bug. I see you've logged several finds since you picked it up at my Cache Behind The Outhouse, and was just wondering if maybe you'd forgotten to log it into a new cache. If you're waiting to move it along, that's fine too, but would you please let me know? Thanks. Contact me through my profile."

For whatever it's worth, the guy still hasn't replied.

I looked at the dozen or so caches that they had gotten in the last few days and most of them are micros or smalls. And sometimes caches are wet or look trashed. And since it has been only two weeks I wouldn't worry. They are still active and that means when they find the right cache they will move it along. It is better for them to wait for the right location than to just drop it off anywhere. We have had to hold onto travel bugs for several weeks before finding one big enough and not wet and moldy. A nice reminder about keeping tbs moving comes from geocaching after two weeks usually.

You could always send them a "thank you note"....you know: "Wow....thanx for picking up the TB.....I'm really looking forward to seeing where it goes next. I see you are relatively new to this game, if you need any help with logging the bug....please feel free to email me...."

And then there are people with troubles like ours (my husband and myself)...

I picked up a bug on Spring break, took it along with me on a trip and dropped it in and out of a few caches along the way...got it home...got busy and didn't go caching for a spell...remembered that I had to bug, emailed the owner to apologize and promised to drop it off soon...

My husband dropped it off in a cache of his that gets a lot of TB action and when he tried to log it in, the number didn't work. He figures he has the wrong number written down, so no problem--I had the number written down from my caching adventure with the bug---it is the same number. Huh?

We email the owner to ask if they perhaps have a different number. They have lost their copy tag, and can't help.

So now there is a bug in his cache that doesn't show up on his page, logged in to one of my caches and showing on my page (but not there) that will likely get picked up soon by some nice person who will wait patiently for one of us to log it into the cache...and wait...and wait...

Of course, I have put a note on his cache page, which is all I can think to do in this instance.