Polite Cough

Erm, is this where I do my diffident wave and say hello, I'm a new girl in town?

Well I'm not entirely new. I'm involved in kindred activities, like bookcrossing and geographing (you may know me as SwanOfKennet in those spheres). Also I write crime fiction, which seems to fit right in.

I kept coming across geocacheing through my other activities, so I decided yesterday to go and look for one near where I live (in Reading). Then when I failed miserably to find it I got all stubborn and went again for a more thorough look this afternoon, and found it! Yay for me!

Well, honour is satisfied. I'm still curious but I don't know whether I can justify buying a GPS unit (us poor struggling writers, starving in garrets...). Perhaps somebody might like to convince me? :huh:

Oh, and if I've infringed some detail of geocacheing etiquette, then I apologise forthwith and will slink off back to my hole (clues mailed to you on request)

Rosie

Rosie, You're very welcome here and glad to hear you found a cache - well done. You can find some caches without a GPSr but you'll have to be quite selective and it is harder.

You might like to check out the introductory information at the top of this forum (UK forum) which might help and even convince you to buy a GPS.

Edited by The Wombles

Hi Rosie, you're very welcome to the party, I'm sure. :huh:

I'd say do a few more caches, perhaps with a local cacher, to see if you enjoy it before forking out on a GPSr. You don't need to spend much on one and they are good for lots of things other than geocaching.

THE FAQ section on Geocaching.com is a good place to learn the basics, and here is a fine place to pose more complex questions. You never know, there might be folks other than you learning something too.

SP

Welcome indeed.

I can't see that you have infringed any etiquette. So long as you didn't get watched when you found the cache and hid it again nicely.

This forum is very friendly (usually) and as far as I can see not stuck up it's own whotsit with silly rules and traditions. The only major rules are:

Don't advertise your own caches if you hide them.

Don't give the game away on other caches (spoilers).

Remember that youngsters read the forum.

Ask stupid, easy questions, even if someoner else has already asked. We like these as they are easy to answer. It's the tough ones that no-one has asked before that we find difficult.

Seriously, it's always nice when soemone new joins the forum and says hello.

Have a look at the top of the forum. There is an 'adopt a newbie' thread. Nothing official, but there might be someone in your area that would lend you a GPS or go on a trip with you so that you can use theirs and see what you think.

I have heard of e-bay GPS bargains for about £60 but these are always fraught with the possibility of VAT and other duties being added if they come from the USA. The target price for the famous "Yellow Garmin" which is about the lowest in the range is about £85 from a UK based web site.

Hi,

There seem to be quite a few people out there who combine Geographing and Geocaching (including me). If you want a chance to meet up with some other Geocachers and have a chat there's a get together in Binfield (which seems to be in your part of the world) at the end of the month, see the GCNCQG "Event" cache here :

http://stats.guk2.com/caches/osgb_cache_details.php?g=226752

You never know there might be someone there looking to dispose of a GPSr at a reasonable price, if not then there's always BEER....

Edited by MartyBartfast

And Welcome on board from Lynn and I as well Rosie.

As to the GPSr, as has already been said, you can pick up a yellow etrex for about £80+ on Ebay. That's what we did and we find it adequate for the job. Once you get to within 30-40 ft of the cache you normally have to start looking anyway so you don't really need anything too fancy.

We did our first cache without the GPSr or knowledge of the different datums :huh: Hence we plotted it on the OS map some distance from the actual cache. However, we managed to find it anyway with the aid of the clue.

Have fun!

Martin, Lynn and Maddie

PS: Please excuse my ignorance but what is 'Geographing' ? That sounds like one of those American nerbs lol. Like 'officing' . I must have been Geologing all of these years and didn't realise :D:D:lol:

Hi and welcome from us too! We're based near Reading, Berkshire and are going to the Binfield Bash so come along and say hi to lots of other local cachers. I'm ignorant too as to geographing but will do a google on it in a tick and see what it is all about. Also, check our profile on Geocaching.com for our ICQ number, sign up and come and chat.

Liane, The Cache Hoppers :huh:

Wow. That geographing site has really come on. I remember when the first version went live and thought that it would never work with the methods used. The work put in has certainly paid off.

I checked my local square and someone has already claimed it. Picture taken quite neat two of my caches. But won't say where as it would be advertising. :huh:

Hi :-)

Another newbie here, as I only started geocaching a couple of weeks ago. I have been thinking about trying this for a long while, and finally got round to doing it.

Firstly a source for a cheap Garmin eTrex camo. This is the same as the yellow eTrex, but in a camoflaged case. Probably even better for geocaching than the yellow as it looks more like a mobile phone.

I ordered one from Expansys on Thursday at 9:30pm and it was delivered yesterday morning at 9am. Very good service indeed.

Expansys eTrex Camo

They have the camo version for an amazing price of £67.95 including VAT!

I took it out today and made my second attempt at the Bedfords Park cache and found it :-)) I had previously tried this with my GPS enabled PDA (An Acer N35 with GPS Tuner loaded), but I was getting a bit paranoid about the obviousness of the PDA and about it getting dropped or damaged.

Secondly, I took from the cache a paperback book, and this prompted me to wonder if anyone had ever released a Bookcrossing book into a geocache?

My search for "Bookcrossing" in the UK forums was what lead me to this post.

Would this be bookcaching or geobooking? :-)

Anyway, I have to say that this is one of the most addictive things I have ever tried. Anything that can persuade my two kids away from the PC, the PS2 or the TV has got to be a good thing in my opinion.

Regards

The Falconeers

Ooh what a welcome! I won't say too much now as I'm, um, a tad inebriated having spent much of the evening with good friends and a bottle or several of wine (who's counting?)

But I will follow up soon, honestly!

Oh yes - is my experience of first trying to find the cache typical, or was I right to feel humiliated? I suppose only succesful quests get logged.

Rosie

Edited by enitharmon

Oh yes - is my experience of first trying to find the cache typical, or was I right to feel humiliated? I suppose only succesful quests get logged.

Rosie

Firstly, it took me a few revisits to find my first one, so you are not alone.

Secondly, people do log when they don't find it. The shorthand is a DNF (did not find). There is an option in the screen where you log the cache for that. It's very useful to log a DNF. Alerts the owner to the possibility that it is missing. Alerts other people planning to do that cache that it might be tricky.

Also, you had a day out, the cache setter mainly wanted you to visit the chosen place and wants to hear about your visit. So if I get a log entry that says 'super place, loved the view/walk. Didn't find the cache but will be back'... well I get that warm glow that we all seek :huh:

Log 'em all. The good and the bad.

Edited by kbootb

I found out about Geocaching by accident. As luck had it, I already had all the necessary equipment to find a cache. I checked out the nearest cache from my postcode (expecting one or two within 50 miles) and was amazed to find nearly 2000 within 100 miles!

If you enjoyed finding your first cache, it's well worth you spending a bit of cash and getting yourself "set-up"

It's a great hobby and more important than caching, you get to go to new places and hear new stories - great news for a writer :huh:

Best of luck with your new found interest.

This is the same as the yellow eTrex, but in a camoflaged case. Probably even better for geocaching than the yellow as it looks more like a mobile phone.

Secondly, I took from the cache a paperback book, and this prompted me to wonder if anyone had ever released a Bookcrossing book into a geocache?

The camo version is all very well until the day you put it down while you fill in the log and then you can't find it again!

And

Yes I picked up a Bookcrossing book at GCME1R, which I've since released again.

Hi :-)

My search for "Bookcrossing" in the UK forums was what lead me to this post.

Would this be bookcaching or geobooking? :-)

Yes, I've released a few books in geocaches, mostly on behalf of my mum who is a very active bookcrosser!

One of them, appropriately enough, a copy of "Around the World in 80 Days" has since gone from Perthshire, Scotland to a cache in California. (link)

The other couple of bookcrossing books I've left in caches haven't gone particularly far yet (but they might move along sometime soon).

Also, I agree that a nice cheap eTrex yellow or Camo or a Geko 201 is a decent basic unit for beginners.

another welcome from me.

i started with geko 201 and it did the job just fine. shiney new toy won in the end and i've got gps 60c now!!

don't let failure to find disapoint you. log the dnf and enjoy the views/scenery/wildlife etc. springs here summer on the way so get out there and enjoy the country.

get along to the meeting if you want to be sociable. the great thing with the sport is you can be a social/introvert active/lazy as you want. no need to follow anyone elses way of playing. :o

£80 for a Yellow Etrex.... thats expensive, I paid £80 and got a Venture!

If you are on a budget, you wont have to pay more than £50 to get a basic, maybe a little older with shorter battery life etc GPS, there are plenty on Ebay, just bide your time, let the fools pay more, and snipe yourself a reasonably priced one......

....of course, the mistake in buying a cheap GPS is that before long you will be wanting something bigger and better with Sat/Nav and mapping, and you linitial Cheap GPS will find its way back on Ebay :o

[Yes, I've released a few books in geocaches, mostly on behalf of my mum who is a very active bookcrosser!

One of them, appropriately enough, a copy of "Around the World in 80 Days" has since gone from Perthshire, Scotland to a cache in California. (link)

The other couple of bookcrossing books I've left in caches haven't gone particularly far yet (but they might move along sometime soon).

Brilliant!

I have released several Bookcrossing books but never had one found.

I will probably release a couple into a geocache in the near future now that I know others have done this.

Cheers

The Falconeers

I had a look on Amazon and around various Reading shops but haven't seen a GPS gizmo at much under £100.

Would it be very cheeky of me if I asked if anybody would be willing to lend me one for a couple of weeks to 'evaluate'? Oh all right - play with?

Alternatively, would anybody like to let me tag along with them on a caching expedition?

There's another slight problem, by the way, I don't have a car although I'm pretty adept at getting myself out into the countryside with boots, a map and a camera! If anyone were to offer me a lift to a meet (Binfield being hard to get to in the evening) I'd be most grateful.

EDIT: Actually as I now see that Binfield is a daytime bash it shouldn't be a problem. I'm confusing it with the BOSH bookcrossers bash which is tomorrow evening (17 May) at the Great Expectations in London Street, Reading. You will be expected to take books away from it but when you've journalled, read and journalled them again you can release them at geocaches :o You also get to meet me and buy me a drink. :D Go on - I dare you!

Rosie

Edited by enitharmon

Oh dear - I've a nasty feeling I said something I shouldn't have :lol:

I went looking yesterday. One search I abandoned as soon as I saw that the terrain wasn't suitable for sandals. Two more I failed miserably to find.

Oh well, better luck next time.

Rosie

Welcome to the addiction :) . DNF's are just part of the fun, I've had 9 DNF's on one cache and I'll keep visiting until I do find it :D

Dave

You are sure it's still there aren't you? Which cache is it?

I must admit to looking for one called "Middle Lane" 4 or 5 times. It was a tricky one as there are houses right next to it. As it turned out, the cache had been long since muggled :P

Welcome to the addiction  :P . DNF's are just part of the fun, I've had 9 DNF's on one cache and I'll keep visiting until I do find it  :)

Dave

You are sure it's still there aren't you? Which cache is it?

I must admit to looking for one called "Middle Lane" 4 or 5 times. It was a tricky one as there are houses right next to it. As it turned out, the cache had been long since muggled :D

Its been there all the time just that I've never found it (as I regularly exchange emails with the owner, it's defiantly not missing) :D as nuggets have managed to find with no problems I'm not showing my self up any more than I need to by identifying it :). another cache which it overlooks took 8 attempts :D and I enjoyed every trip and must have put in over 12 hours searching :D

Dave :D

Hi Rosie,

I do hope you can make the Binfield Bash Cache on Saturday week?

We have quite a few local cachers coming, and it would be great to meet you.

It will be a very informal meeting at a local pub with no particular agenda, apart from having a good time! - and finding 4 event caches of course... :)

Take a look at The Binfield Bank Holiday Cache Bash page

The Dewdrops & walkergeoff

Oh, I'm dead chuffed today as I found not one but two caches today. One of them rated 4 1/2 stars for difficulty (I was almost scared to even try but I had guessed in advance that intuition and local knowledge would get me further than a GPS device in this case, and I was right!

The other was easy but required a longish, but pleasant, walk in my fell boots.

So I guess I'm here to stay, folks. Gonna have to get me one of they gizmos ;)

Rosie

Oh, I'm dead chuffed today as I found not one but two caches today. One of them rated 4 1/2 stars for difficulty (I was almost scared to even try but I had guessed in advance that intuition and local knowledge would get me further than a GPS device in this case, and I was right!

So I guess I'm here to stay, folks. Gonna have to get me one of they gizmos ;)

Rosie

Current wisdom it once you find 10 you're hooked.

You can still get out of this!

Well done ;) Glad to see that you are getting the armour on... Summer can play havoc with nettles.

Although Tigger has some really good boots, sort of a mix between fell boots and wellingtons. Personally I just use some battered trainers, well worn in, but good for running in, boots seem to restrict my mountain goat abilities when jumping off rocks, cliffs, mud slopes, vaulting fences, etc.

10 caches, is usually the point of no return.... :D Addictive?! No not at all, we can give it up anytime we like, honest... :D

Happy caching

Pengy&Tigger

Hi Enitharmon,

Bit of a newbie myself ;) having only managed 700+ caches :D

If you want to borrow a GPS I have an old Emap that you can have for a few weeks. It doesn't have an inbuilt compass but will get you to the general cache location no problem.

I don't use it at all any more and it sits in my van glove box. May have the cables for it somewhere.

I drive right past your area a couple of times every week (weekdays only) so would be glad to let you borrow it.

Regards

Nick

Although Tigger has some really good boots, sort of a mix between fell boots and wellingtons. Personally I just use some battered trainers, well worn in, but good for running in, boots seem to restrict my mountain goat abilities when jumping off rocks, cliffs, mud slopes, vaulting fences, etc.

Yebbut - fell boots were a bit excessive and as they are thirty-year-old Hawkins Helvellyns and I haven't worn them for quite a while and the Hemdean Valley ain't exactly Rossett Gill, they may have been a tad excessive! The mud I was promised didn't materialise and I seem to hace skinned the back of my left ankle. Never mind.

I suspect that 10 caches may also be over cautious. Having grovelled on hands and knees in a public place, poking around with a wooden chopstick for only my third cache, I think my resistance to the infection may be pretty low.

Rosie

Nothing mentioned there about climbing trees?

Okay, when I fell out of the tree, I was wearing some boots, if I`d of been wearing my trainers, I`d of sprang to safety like a gazelle.... So I stick to my trainers, although they do take a day or so to dry if you have to walk across a river.

Rosie: You get used to crawling around in undergrowth... the other day Tigger and myself were covered in little caterpillers, when we first started geocaching this would of make us both freak, but now, we just brush them off, and have a shower when we get home. (And it wasn`t even Sunday either!!).

Pengy

Edited by Pengy&Tigger