Camping Event On Dartmoor.

I'd be a definite possible, but I haven't camped in my life so would vote for a campsite with showers and toilets and stuff :rolleyes:

I DO have a tent. I just don't quite know what to do with it :rolleyes:

Can make pretty much any weekend, with notice, other than bank holidays!

Edited by suzylou

I think I could manage to get to this one, may even put a new cache out for it. Caravan Stuey, it's supposed to be camping not caravanning. B)B)

Prefer Harford, too many letterboxers at Higher Longford & Plume Of Feathers,

Plymplodders (Pete)

Edited by plymplodders

been a few years since last at plume on the moor and unfortunatley can't make it this time.

just out of curiosity? what makes the letter boxers a negative point? bad bo or what? :lol: how do you tell who's a letterboxer? is it the funny handshake?

they do/did great fry ups in the morning....good enough reason on it's own.

Yes, a lot of us letterboxers are geocachers too. Letterboxers are experienced hunters and come with all the right gear. Most of us tend to pick up litter and would never vandalise a cache.....What more could you want?

Some do... apparently....... or so I've been told :)

No reason to tar them all with the same brush though :D

what more could i want??? the list is long and way off topic!!! and small children read these forums! :D

still, no ones said why letterboxers are so obvious or a bad point for the plume? not a major bone of contention but i'm just curious.

if i win the lottery between now and then i'll be there in a nice new campervan! love the outdoors especially if i've got all the indoors stuff to hand and heat!!! hypothermia 's not a pleasant thing to see. :D

Nothing to do with the rights and wrongs of Letterboxing and a lot more to do with your attitudes to people who Letterbox. We go down to Dartmoor and Letterbox,Geocache and also Trig. We go down 2-3 times a year including the time the Dartmoor meet is happening. After reading the comments about not going to certain campsites because Letterboxers may or may not be there you become to think there is a problem of some kind that we are unaware of. We would have liked to have come to the meet but are now unsure whether we would be welcome or not so please explain either on this forum or if you cannot explain your attitudes on the forum please feel free to e-mail us. Thankyou?

Dave, myself and two others local caching friends of ours did Plymplodders Dartmoor 10 tors (+1) in a day a few weeks ago (some mean feat). We did all 11 tors, but were unable to find one of the caches because it had been removed. We made comments at the time that the cache had probably been taken by a letterboxer, as there are lots of letterboxers who dislike geocaching, and caches. There are some letterboxers who remove any geocaches they find. There are of course many people that do caching and letterboxing.

That's it.... My "letterboxer" comment had a wink after it. Nothing to be taken too seriously you understand? At the time, it was very relevant because we had just had our 11 Dartmoor tor caches in a day slightly spoilt by someone who may, or may not have been a letterboxer who trashed a cache. I have nothing against any letterboxers. As far as I am concerned, anyone is more than welcome to come to the geocaching event.

Now... can we move on please? :D

:D Hey, as a Letterboxer (also 5000 +)and a Geocacher, I do NOT believe that a geocache would be vandalised by a genuine Letterboxer. I personally have never heard of a Letterboxer who would remove a geocache but I have heard that sometimes Letterboxers feel that geocachers should be more discerning about where they hide their caches, i.e. NOT in walls etc and yes I do know of at least one that has been hidden inappropriately on Dartmoor. There is a possibility that as caches that are not in the right places could be removed by the Park Rangers, as are some letterboxes, especially in nesting season.

Also, Letterboxers are having a great deal of trouble with stolen Letterboxes at the moment, so this is another consideration. We have just replaced a cache we put out that has been stolen from its site in Wales, so it would seem that theft takes place everywhere.

Come on, this is the same sort of hobby/passtime, whatever you want to call it and we should stick together!!!

Kernow Krawlers

We made comments at the time that the cache had probably been taken by a letterboxer, as there are lots of letterboxers who dislike geocaching, and caches. There are some letterboxers who remove any geocaches they find. There are of course many people that do caching and letterboxing.

That's it.... My "letterboxer" comment had a wink after it. Nothing to be taken too seriously you understand?

And no cacher would take it seriously if a letterboxer printed a similar comment about cachers ?

:grin: