Keep Your Cache From Being Stolen!

Alright! You just got a couple ammo cans in the mail today from that Ebay auction you won a few days ago and you made a new travel bug out of the coolest keychain you could find at the dollar store (and its ready to be sent to Brazil because its someplace you haven't sent a Tb to yet).

You picked out a good spot (and obtained permission) to place your cache and you have already worked out the description in your head so you can post it as soon as you get back to your computer.

How Do You Keep Your New Cache from being muggled? Stolen? Destroyed by vandals? Removed by others who wish they had found your spot/thought of your cache first?

I realize there are no guarantees. I just wondered if there were any preventive measures any of you experienced cache-creators took to help ensure the safety of your geo-investment and try to make that cache last for geocachers to enjoy for months or years to come.

I agree that hiding a cache well is its best defense.

Clearly marking the container and including a letter about geocaching in the cache might help too, but these are all pretty obvious.

Maybe at the bottom of the note you could say that if somebody takes the cache you will track them down and make sure they end up in a body cast :D

Location Location Location!

Don't hide the cache in full view of houses.

Dont hide the cache in well traveled areas.

Hide it in an area that can conceal an ammo can.

Low shrubs/bushes, natural depressions, or natural rock piles make great spots for ammo cans.

Paint the ammo can to blend in to it's surrounding.

You can't keep a cache from being stolen Period... You can make it harder to steal. There's a local cache that's a multi with the second stage cabled to a tree with a combination lock. It's hidden really well, but if somebody REALLY wants it, they'll come back and cut it off the tree.

The reason for the multi is that the map for the second, BIG container dosn't show on the site so if you don't have a gps you'll have a harder time finding it, unless you're an evil cache stealing geocacher, and then I don't think you have a chance.

Member's only, multi, second part chained to a tree, with the key in your hand and a phone number to call you to open it painted on the box. About as safe as you can reasonably get.

Ohgr

I have stickers on the outside of my ammo boxes that say something to the effect of:

STUDENT PROJECT

TESTING NAVSTAR ACCURACY

Student Project #___________

Please do no remove this item. This is a project testing gps accuracy within the area. Geocaching University

Since I forgot where I purchased them I had more printed up at a local print shop. So far I haven't had any ammo boxes muggled, but then again they are hidden well and carry the above statement.

I'm a volunteer who hides caches for the Cleveland Metroparks and I like to test a hiding spot first by hiding a brightly colored container with a $5 bill in it. I put a note in the container congratulating the finder that they have stumbled upon a metroparks game and they are free to take the $5, just leave the container where it was hidden. I'll check on it over a 2-3 month period to see if either the container or the money is missing. If they are, I know my spot isn't far enough off the beaten path.

1. Don't hide it where searchers are likely to be observed

This is probably the number one reason that caches are stolen or vandalized

2. Don't hide it where searchers are likely to annoy the neighbors and set their dogs a barkin'.

I'm sure that we lose a lot of caches to people who are fed up by cacher traffic in their neighborhood and investigate to see whats going on, then take the cache.

3. Use the appopriate container for the area. The higher the traffic, the smaller and better camoflaged it needs to be.

If outsiders can't find it, they won't steal it.

4. Hide it far off the beaten path.

Don't assume that your spot is off the beaten path because it seems to be to you. In popular parks realize that there is no place off the beaten path. The more remote spots are likely to be visited by tryisting couples, dope smokers and people taking a "bathroom break".

5. Hide it far from the trailhead.

This will discourage the handful of miscreants who use a GPS to find caches and steal them..

Edited by briansnat

What Briansnat said + get permission from the land use manager and in addition to the regular geo-note add a note "this cache placed with permission of XX State Forest/Park". I physically remove a couple of my caches in areas where leashed dogs are used in the small game hunt. They love ammo cans. This may not be an issue for you, but do be aware of hunting seasons in your area.

Ditto the above comments on leaving game explanation, ID and contact info in the cache.

My only stolen cache, an easy-to-find ammo box at a baseball park, re-appeared in two weeks, all contents intact - the best we can figure is that kids took it home, Mom saw it and ordered it returned.

Yep that also saved one of my caches. Someone found it, took it home, read the note then replaced it.

My only stolen cache, an easy-to-find ammo box at a baseball park, re-appeared in two weeks, all contents intact - the best we can figure is that kids took it home, Mom saw it and ordered it returned.

That happened to one of mine exactly as you've said: kids took it home and showed mom who then wrote a note in the logbook about what happened and then the kids brought it back.

Edit for topic compliance: I suspect that cover over the container or a good cammo will help keep a cache in place. It seems very common now that I see the container exposed to view from the public trail. Sometimes hiders do this but I suspect subsequent finders are the main cuprits. Personally, I get excited about seeing a good set of parallel sticks. Seeing a container from the trial makes me wonder what made the previous finder think this would be safe. Even if they found it exposed they, me, anyone should take some action to protect the container. Exceptions, of course, for some containers that are specifically hidden in plain view which.

Edited by Team Sagefox

• Hide it well
  • Visit the potential location 2 - 3 times and just stand there and look around for potential onlookers - if you see some - hide better or find a new location
  • Add a Clear easy to Understand explanation
  • Mark the container well
  • Consider seasonal factors - aka will the grass and weeds conceal this come fall/winter?
  • Ask yourself - what extra camo would help the hide but blend in nicely?
  • Have Fun!

I did one which was "Urban Camo'd" and placed it on a pole.

After about 2 weeks I got a call from Sprint. It was their pole and the Tech's were there to remove some of the sensors and that Sprint was going to remove

the pole and it might be a good idea to remove my cache before then.

I removed it the next day and about a week later, the pole was removed.

I placed it in another area.

But, I thought it was great that the workmen called my number, I left in the cache to warn me about it. He also was interested in what GC was all about.

...in addition to the regular geo-note add a note "this cache placed with permission of XX State Forest/Park"...

Yeah I did this with some caches I just made. I think that goes a long way to keeping them from being removed by concerned civically-minded muggles.

Kids won't care about that of course. :lol: