Secrecy

Unkle

Today I was going to look for a cache in a park and there was a couple having a picnic nearby, so I decided to keep it for another day. Not only would they have wondered what in the heck I was doing, they would know where the cache was and possibly disturb it. The cache was hidden in a pretty obvious place if you knew where to look.

My question is this: How secretive do you need to be while geocaching? I think I did the right thing.

I think that was a good way to handle it. You also could have approached them and asked if they have heard of geocaching, explain it & depending on their reaction get the cache (I did this once for a waypoint that was under a bench a lady was sitting on, she thought the game was a very interesting idea). I'm always willing to explain the game to anybody.

I've done both things. Once, I had to finally give up because a couple parked their car right near where my GPSr said the cache was. I pretended to be interested in taking pictures, but until they left -- and they didn't -- I wasn't going to get closer to their car.

I posted a DNF that day, but today I finally found that one!! ;)

On another occasion, there were two guys sitting down below this retaining wall near where my GPSr said the cache was. I was very new at the game then and didn't know what I was doing. I ended up talking to the guys and they expressed interested in the sport.

In fact, the younger man came with me to continue the search and he actually spotted the cache before I did. ;)

Edit for spelling . . .

Edited by idiosyncratic

There was one I wanted to try the other day where that happened. Too many people about. I was pointing right where some guys were fishing and I decided I could come back some other time. I didn't log a DNF because it was more like a Did Not Try.

I was with a group Saturday that crashed a wedding - literally! It was in a park and the cache was no more than 15' from where the wedding party stood - four geocachers stroll up and start searching this rock wall! One of the wedding attendees says "You guys geocaching?" We said yes and that was that!

I wish I knew how to post pictures here - I have some great shots of this lovely wedding - and 4 grubby geocachers milling around among them!

You sometimes have to judge the situation. If it was a bunch of kids goofing around you don't want to call attention to the site. If it's a bunch of hikers or a group of red-hatters or (in one case I ran into) a couple of folks enjoying a sunny day with a picnic you can take the opportuniy to introduce the game to some new people. Your call, but be careful out there.

The third cache I found was in a very public place. I had to be careful of muglers. (funny me calling someone else that as I was one just 3 cache's ago! heck I can't even spell it!!!) I was sure that noone was around when I went for the cache. I just think of how I would want someone to act if it was my cache that was being found. I think that is the best way to "think" when finding one. If someone took the time to place it there, it should be as secret as possible. Though I do think it's a great idea to lead someone to the sport, I guess you have to litteraly judge someone who is around the cache site before letting them in on your secret quest...

I found it also can be helpful to carry a camera. If someone comes along and I haven't actually opened the cache or something I'll take out my camera and start taking pictures of birds or trees or something.

Another time I had to wait for some people to move along I had a notepad and pretended I was sketching.

Bring cameras. And kids. Three kids if you can. Kids can look silly and it is normal. That's the purpose of Agent K. Just don't let her in on that secret. Of course many of ours and Agent K's hides are what we call anti-stealth. Stealth is useless. You WILL be seen. It's a matter of how you act in those situations. (Agent K I might add is far more evil than I in that situation. We've created a monster!)

First story happened a couple of years ago. We were visiting our daughter in Oklahoma City and we were walking the trails of this park/science/wildlife area. I was explaining to my daughter and son-in-law how we had to be sneaky and careful not to give away what we are doing to muggles. A lady with a stroller walked in from an adjoining trail and I guess over heard my whispers. She passed us, looked back, and asked if we were geocaching. My daughter dropped to the ground laughing. She couldn't believe that a stranger walking by was a cacher.

Second story. I was in a small park looking for the first waypoint to a cache. It was right on the edge to the parking lot that had a motor home backed up to the fence. There were several people walking around giving me the "eye" as I walked around this group of bushes and around them again. I finally walked up to the fence behind the motorhome, lifted the fence cap and found the first clue. I walked over to a picnic table and decyphered the clue while muggles continued to give me the "eye". I found what I needed, put the clue back together, looked around and put the clue back in the fence post. Being able to sneak in and out like that while getting the caching job accomplished makes you feel like 007.

I always try to hide my caching hunts from any muggles that may be close by. Especially if they are "kids". Too many caches get muggled and I don't want to be the one who gave it away. Walking away and coming back another day is the right thing to do at times. Getting another "find" to increase your numbers is not worth "crashing a wedding" over. IMHO