How long before you gave up?

Siberian Cacher

I have to embarassing admit that on this particular microcache - I can't find it! I have e-mailed the owner who has been nice enough to give me more direct info but still - I can't find it.

Has anyone else given up on a particular cache? It's almost getting personal now. I've taken other folks to help me look and what is more embarassing - people continue to find the cache right off the bat - at least according to the logs.

Any help ??

With man, it is impossible, but with God, all things are possible!

I guess the question for me is, "when do you give up posting DNF's on the same cache?". There are a couple of caches that I've visited multiple times without finding them. I only posted DNF's once for each, but I intend to find them. I'm just waiting for the logs to accumulate so I can glean some tips from them. icon_biggrin.gif

eyes.GIF

"Searching with my good eye closed"

Well, sometimes it's not your fault... I hit a few on a roadtrip a few weeks back,and only found one or two out of 4 that day. I got back and saw in the other finders' logs that they say "if the coords were for the right hill," and "this cache is a half mile off". Etc., etc. Gee -- would've been good info going in!

Other times, it IS my fault. Sunday AM I took the dog for a search, and after looking through briar and brush for 1/2 hour, I checked the coords again. Sure enough, I had entered them wrong -- oops.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I think these statements are true to some extent:

(1) Some people have natural-born cache radar.

(2) Some people can't find the cache until it falls out of the stump onto their foot when they wander past it for the 7th time.

(3) Some people don't mention in their online logs all the troubles they had locating the cache.

If I can't find it, I'll keep coming back periodically until I do find it.

So annoying, though, when you can't find one and someone else logs it later in the day saying how easy it was for them!

(Edit - I fall into category #2. My cache partner falls into creeks.)

There was one cache near me that I spent hours looking for the first time. I logged a DNF and went back the following weekend, looked for more hours, and finally found it. The cache owner correctly called it an evil hide.

The thing is, if I had not found it on that second attempt, I would have gone as many times as I needed. It became personal and I would not be satisfied until it was found. I was just lucky - I found it by accident.

I never knew I a year ago that I would obsess over small film containers. icon_biggrin.gif

"Today's mighty oak is yesterday's nut that held its ground."

I'm still a rookie, but I usually only need to return once to find it. I had one I went to 3 times and DNF which the cache owner disabled.

I had a micro last week that I could not find. There was a footbridge, a kitchen table sized rock full of holes, a lamp post, a large Live Oak tree, and a semi-hollow log within 20'. Finally, out of desperation, I rolled the log over and there it was. I guess it was too dark to see. I would have to have had an arm 5' long to scrounge around for it. I should have known from the start as the first two were in hollow logs. Oh yeah, it was a multi-cache. I'll know where to look on the 4th and 5th legs.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

I don't give up easy on hunts. My weak point in cache binge days. Even on those days, I'll give a cache an hour or more before I let it go for the day. Local caches...I'll keep trying till I find it one way or another. Terrace Creek treasure probably took me 7-8 trips!!!! I only reported the first DNF and anther one 3 tries down the road. Finally got the box by stumbling on it. I'll usually quit posting DNFs after 3 tries...fortunately that doesn't happen very often at all.

I never give up,I have only not found 1,and it was taken,or gone at the time of my visit to it.Some one adopted since and placed it back,so when I am over that way again I will get it...

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN* THE RE-DISCOVERY ***1803--2003*** "LOUSIANA PURCHASE" 200TH ANNIVERSARY AND THE "LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION" http://www.msnusers.com/MissouriTrails

For my DNF, I looked for about an hour.

I gave up because this was the middle of a neighborhood park (no trees0 and was in plain view of all the houses. It was just too public for me.

I knew it was under an 8-in tall footbridge but just could not find it, and my lingering there brought kids out to question me. I had to leave.

The cache was eventually stolen or otherwise lost.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

I may not speak for all. But for us, we'll never give up on a cache!

There is one that has been a thorn in our side for quite some time. The first time out, we looked for about a half hour or so. We were sure that we were in the right place. This was one out of about six or seven that we had planned for the day, so we decided to skip it and find the others. After watching the logs for a couple of weeks, it was painfully obvious that WE ARE BLIND! So, we go back and try it again with no luck. I know that we are in the right location, we just aren't LOOKING.

Needless to say, we'll go back again. The only problem is that it is about 65-70 miles away.

Like Team_Shing said in the original post "It's almost getting personal now."