Does This Seem Genuine

yes, the feedback rating looks excellent, so I would say genuine

Yes, you are liable for import duty, but there are ways arround this if you have friends in the states

here is a dodgy ebay add, dont touch this!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WD2V

youve got 0 rating, its from china check shipping and insurance fees... all very dodgy, especially when you see about 8 adds all the same but with different 0 feedback users

I don't suppose other half noticed my birthday hints about a nice 60CS, so no doubt I will be in for another footspa!

I have bought stuff from Hong Kong and the USA before and have had no problems. Look out for the high postage costs though, and be warned that customs might chose to sting you for tax. This seems to happen at random, some people are lucky and some get stung.

As ever, the same rules apply about checking up on feedback and paying via a method which affords you some protection, eg Paypal rather than money transfer.

Look out for the high postage costs though, and be warned that customs might chose to sting you for tax.  This seems to happen at random, some people are lucky and some get stung.

There is nothing random about it, I ALWAYS get stung for VAT. I think the post office &/or customs have my name flagged on their computers so that if I buy anything from abroard I het hit for tax.. :(:):(:)

I am pretty sure this is the same seller I got my 60cs from last year. Took less than a week to arrive if I remember correctly and didnt get stung for import tax.

You take your chances with the import duty, some people get hit for it others dont. Certainly is a good GPS though, well worth the money. :(

The advert doesn't actually say it has the Europe basemap.

It looks like it is an Americas basemap model, but the seller will preinstall some Europe maps, probably MapSource World Map or MetroGuide Europe.

The seller may include also include the maps on a CD, though this isn't mentioned in the advert.

So it's just as dodgy as buying a US model then 'acquiring' a copy of MapSource from elsewhere.

I didn't get a disk with mine but I think it had uk r&r loaded on it but I accidently deleted it, now have mapsource so not a problem.

The basemap is just a vague uk outline and a few towns.

So, I guess that means you don't get the autorouting features of the maps in the unit as supplied. You'd need City Select for that - and I've heard things about licences for UK mapsource on US units being a problem. May or may not be true.

Cheers,

Stu

Look out for the high postage costs though, and be warned that customs might chose to sting you for tax.  This seems to happen at random, some people are lucky and some get stung.

There is nothing random about it, I ALWAYS get stung for VAT. I think the post office &/or customs have my name flagged on their computers so that if I buy anything from abroard I het hit for tax.. :lol::):lol::D

As Nellies Nackers said the trick is to get the seller to declare on the customs form that the item sent is a gift of low value. Anything sent as merchandise will attract import duty + VAT + customs charges. This can turn a smart $200 purchase into a $300 surprise when the postman knocks and asks for Gordon's cut!

Cheers!

Seasider

Anything sent as merchandise will attract import duty + VAT + customs charges.  This can turn a smart $200 purchase into a $300 surprise when the postman knocks and asks for Gordon's cut!

Purchases under a certain amount are tax rfee. £18 is the limit I think.

Be wary of asking someone to break the law by marking a purchase as a gift. If they are found out, they'd get done by customs which I imagine isn't pleasant.

Also, if it gets lost in the post and the customs form said it was only worth a small amount of cash, then you won't be insured for the full amount either :lol:

Sarah

Garmin Europe will not uphold the guarantee of any U.S model, so if a fault occurs it has to go back to the U.S, all models are now serial coded, so Garmin know from which country & distributor it has come from. Also as previously mentioned Europe city select would be needed, & potentially have a compatibilty problem. Geko

Anything sent as merchandise will attract import duty + VAT + customs charges.  This can turn a smart $200 purchase into a $300 surprise when the postman knocks and asks for Gordon's cut!

Purchases under a certain amount are tax rfee. £18 is the limit I think.

Be wary of asking someone to break the law by marking a purchase as a gift. If they are found out, they'd get done by customs which I imagine isn't pleasant.

Also, if it gets lost in the post and the customs form said it was only worth a small amount of cash, then you won't be insured for the full amount either :o

Sarah

Yes, the "de minimis" limit for merchandise is £18 and for gifts it is £36.

Very little risk for the supplier as the objecting customs authority is overseas and has no jurisdiction over the supplier - they simply ask you to pay the appropriate duty if they smell a rat as happened to me once! :):)

Re insurance - always pay by credit card if you can (items over £100) as you may be able to claim a refund from the bank under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act if things go wrong and the supplier won't refund. :lol:

Cache well - and stay tax free (you know they waste it)! :D:lol:

Cheers!

Seasider

Garmin Europe will not uphold the guarantee of any U.S model,

Have they actually told you that, because if that is the case they you are introuble if you buy from ebay.

Garmin's US website sets this limitation on warranty claims.

To obtain warranty service, an original or copy of the sales receipt from the original retailer is required. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification.

-

Edited by SlytherinAlex