Where Do Geocachers Work And How Far To Home?

Fellow Cachers, I was curious just how far it is from work to home. Post your work coordinates and an aerial or topo map pic of where you work. Give distance as the crow flies to where you live.

Let's see who has the longest and shortest commute.

My work coordinates: N40 05.622 W074 02.193

Home is 0.4 miles away.

X marks where I work.

77dabe14-e8a5-4fc5-a54a-e6051ab72db6.jpg

DiscGolfer

Groundspeak Forum Guidelines

The goal of the Groundspeak Forum is to promote the activity of Geocaching and GPS Usage. It is an open forum sponsored by Groundspeak Inc. for discussing all aspects of Geocaching, Benchmark hunting, GPS Usage and Groundspeak related GPS Gaming.

I believe my post promotes GPS usage and Geocaching. One would have to use their GPS or GPS mapping software to participate in the topic. And interested cachers may use their GPS units to search for the locations posted in this topic. (virtual cache)

If you don't care to participate in the topic just pass it by.

Edited by DiscGolfer

When I started Geocaching I worked an hour away from where I live. I now work 3 blocks from where I live.

The old job provided me lots of chances to geocache along that hour commute. Now living so close to work my geocaching chances have drastically reduced, and more time has been devoted to placing caches then finding them.

I thought this thread would generate some of that discussion and seemed to be realted to geocaching.

My thoughts are if you don't want to participate in this thread as I requested, just pass it by and the thread will fade away.

Edited by DiscGolfer
Groundspeak Forum Guidelines

The goal of the Groundspeak Forum is to promote the activity of Geocaching and GPS Usage. It is an open forum sponsored by Groundspeak Inc. for discussing all aspects of Geocaching, Benchmark hunting, GPS Usage and Groundspeak related GPS Gaming.

Thank you for reminding us but you said

Fellow Cachers, I was curious just how far it is from work to home.

So does seeing how far work is from home have anything to do with GPS's or geocaching. Unless your job is geocaching or GPS navigation I don't see how either relate to these forums.

I was going to add a post here but I became completely bogged down in split hairs.

There are some real 'water cooler lawyers' around here - if it's really not hurting you, let it be!

Let the admins do their job - seems that they allow a little slack since all are not members and so can't get at the off topic forum. I think that's a good thing.

I wonder if that could be applied to cacher's caches and  to their home/work place.

Yep. The concept is "geographic profiling" when applied to serial killers and, when I brought it up a year or so ago, somebody pointed me to an even older thread about using find locations to nail cachers :)

I work 26 miles from home, which is about a 40 minute commute. I've done a very limited number of caches near work, though. I don't much like nipping out to cache on my lunch, and I certainly don't want to hang around at the end of the day. I also tend not to want to cache in this direction because it means driving down the same boring old route I drive on a work day.

I now work 3 blocks from where I live.

I live two (small town) blocks from work.

The map shows it as .1 miles. :)

When I first started this job 18 years ago I rented the apt above the store.

So I don't have far to go, but once I get to work I do a lot of driving around and the gps come in very handy at that point.

17.8 cromes.

On a good day it takes about 20 minutes. On a bad day, it has taken 1 hour 45 minutes.

It doesn't matter geocaching wise because we've found them all in the area and that's not to mention we don't cache without each other.

BTW, I saw to the relevance to geocaching right off.

Let's see who has the longest and shortest commute.

OK, I'll claim the shortest commute, since I work out of my home.

On the other hand, I'll be crossing the Atlantic Ocean this weekend to work with a customer in Northern Ireland next week. Not so much a commute as a study in contrasts.

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

I don't actually have a commute as such since I generally don't work in the same place two times running.

I live in PA, USA. In the last few years I have clocked up the miles to work in the following places which I have sorted into groups according to continents and subcontinents:

The UK (Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales), Norway, Spain, France, Germany and Italy (mainland and Sicily).

US (9 different states), Mexico, Bonaire, Curacao, Aruba, Trinidad.

Tunisia, Nigeria and Egypt

Saudi Arabia, UAE (Abu Dhabi and Dubai), Bahrain, Kuwait, Iraq and Qatar.

India.

Singapore, Indonesia, Borneo, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Korea.

Australia.

I work in the commercial survey business so I guess that makes me a professional user of the GPS system which gives some legitimacy to my post! **Hee-hee**

So, can I claim the furthest travel distance to work?

I work construction, so I don't have a fixed commute. My shortest commute would be when I'm laid off. :lol: My second shortest commute is the one for the job I'm going to starting Monday--about 25 miles and less than 30 minutes. My longest (non overnight stay) commute has been 110 miles, which took 1 hour, 40 minutes. Lots of opportunities to geocache alonge that route, but precious little time.

I'm 15 miles driving wise.

Unfortunately, just before I started this job, I went with a local cacher who was doing maintenace on her caches for a pre-event run and got all the caches in that area. (that would be even more north of where I work, even though I live south east).... Unfortunately, in the direction towards home, my route (I have two possible) only passes about half a dozen caches and most of those are mine. The ones that aren't I've already done.

Dang it! :)

If I didn't have to take my daughter to school every weekday, I wouldn't even have to get dressed!! :D:D:D

I have my graphic design office set up in what should normally be the dining area in our apartment.

90% of what I do is handled through emails & faxes. But, about once a week I try to go out and visit my local regular clients, just to have that personal face to face contact.

So, my daily commute is about 20 feet - From the bed to my computer desk chair!! :DB)

Home location is:

34° 15.962 N

85° 17.268 W

home_sat_image.jpg

D-man B)

OK I know this is too much info, but here it goes...

Yes! Get dressed to take her. I think there is indecency laws against going out in public in your skivvies. Much less onto school grounds. :)

I don't know about you, but I'm kinda fond of not living behind bars!!

:D:D:DB)B):D

Dang it!  :P

If I didn't have to take my daughter to school every weekday, I wouldn't even have to get dressed!! :lol:  :)  :)

I have my graphic design office set up in what should normally be the dining area in our apartment.

90% of what I do is handled through emails & faxes. But, about once a week I try to go out and visit my local regular clients, just to have that personal face to face contact.

So, my daily commute is about 20 feet - From the bed to my computer desk chair!! :)  :o

Home location is:

34° 15.962 N

85° 17.268 W

home_sat_image.jpg

D-man :o

Congrats you are FTF on this one. I was wondering if anyone was going to ever post a topo or aerial pic with their post :P