Which Unit Do Most Cachers Use?

4ClicksGPS

I'd probably say the most talked about units are the Garmin GPSMap 60C(S) and 76C(S) models which are out now.

What model is owned/used the most would tough to figure out right now unless someone ran a pretty extensive survey. I'd imagine there still a lot of folks with units that are 2+ years old that work fine and don't need to be replaced to find a cache any differently then they can do it now.

Up until recently, some sort of Garmin eTrex was by far the most popular. At any geocaching event you'd see the vast majority of people carrying some model of eTrex (usually Legends) with a few GPS V's and Magellan Sportraks and Meridians sprinkled around.

I think the eTrex line is still the most popular, but you're seeing a lot of 60C(S)s around these days. I read somewhere that the 60C(S) was the best selling GPS in the US in 2004 and judging from all the people I see carrying them, I believe it.

There is no brand or model that is the ultimate unit. There are tradeoffs in every one. The Garmin Map 60CS and Map 76CS and Magellan Meridian Platnium are widely acknowledged to be cream of consumer grade handheld units. But with these, you are getting fairly large units that are on the clunky side.

People who prefer compact units (like me) may not be thrilled with larger units like those the Map 76 and Meridian series. Even the 60 series is on the large side for me. More compact units like the eTrex Legend C and Vista C are also excellent and highly regarded, but in these you're sacrificing memory and a tad in the reception category.

So the ultimate unit is the unit with the size, features and price that you are looking for.

Edited by briansnat

The "ultimate Geocaching GPSr" is a subjective issue, ask 10 people the same question & you'll probably get 3 or 4 units summarized in their answers.

In my opinion, right now an ultimate GPSr would be the Lowrance iWay 100m. It's a brand new very accurate, state-of-the-art, relatively compact unit that amongst other things supports "voice prompting" autorouting/rerouting, yet is robust enough for the rigors of Geocaching. If you want color, the 200c should be out sometime soon.

I have several Garmin,

GPS V mounted in my truck with roof antenna (Garmin) which can be pluuged into my Dell Inspiron and show my tracking in Delorme Topo Quads, Strret Atlas or Topo USA.

GPS III mounted on my Honda Rancher 4x4 ATV (this have saved my butt many a times when you get so messed up riding you forget where you started out)

Etrex Vista for when I am on foot

GPS 45XL which I dont' use much anymore but keep as backup in my ATV.

Going to get another this year for my truck (color Garmin with larger screen size so I don't hit any ditchs trying to see it) and use the V on the ATV. I want all them to have DGPS.

Edited by elcamino

That Lowrance iWay 100m looks interesting.

The upcoming 200c might be some nice competition for the Garmin 60c series, as the 100m offers memory cards up to 512mb, bundled software and accessories, and a slightly larger screen (240 x 180 pixels vs. the Garmin's 240 x 160).

However, there's not much information available about either model yet.

I tried downloading the 100m owner's manual from Lowrance, but my Adobe Reader kept crashing.

Does anybody know if the 100m has any geocaching features?

The description says it comes bundled with "Mapcreate Turn-By-Turn" software with over 2 million POI. What regions does it cover, and what kind of street detail? What would be the Garmin equivalent?

Lowrance also sells a "MAPCREATE™ USA 6.3 SOFTWARE" with over 2 million POI. What's the difference between the two?

There's also a MAPCREATE™ USA Topo 6.3 SOFTWARE. Has that replaced the MAPCREATE™ USA 6.3 SOFTWARE? I ask because the MAPCREATE™ USA 6.3 SOFTWARE is not shown on the main software page...you have dig around to find it.

I started with the basic Garmin e-trex yellow, Now I am using a Magellan Meridian Gold, and a Sport track color, I did also have a sport track map but I seem to have lost it, I think I dropped on the way back from a cache. My next purchase will be a new Explorist 400 or 500.

I have also used the Garmin Legend, Vista, GPSV, GPS111+, Map76S and a few others. They all work, I just depends on what features you want and how much you want to spend.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I have had a Magellan eXplorist 300 for 3 weeks and really like it. I have found my first three caches and the unit was right on. This unit does have maps, but you can not connect to a computer to download maps and cache locations. I have pre-ordered the eXplorist 600 that will be able to download the cache locations and more detailed maps.

That Lowrance iWay 100m looks interesting.

The upcoming 200c might be some nice competition for the Garmin 60c series, as the 100m offers memory cards up to 512mb, bundled software and accessories, and a slightly larger screen (240 x 180 pixels vs. the Garmin's 240 x 160).

However, there's not much information available about either model yet.

I tried downloading the 100m owner's manual from Lowrance, but my Adobe Reader kept crashing.

Does anybody know if the 100m has any geocaching features?

The description says it comes bundled with "Mapcreate Turn-By-Turn" software with over 2 million POI. What regions does it cover, and what kind of street detail? What would be the Garmin equivalent?

Lowrance also sells a "MAPCREATE™ USA 6.3 SOFTWARE" with over 2 million POI. What's the difference between the two?

There's also a  MAPCREATE™ USA Topo 6.3 SOFTWARE. Has that replaced the MAPCREATE™ USA 6.3 SOFTWARE? I ask because the MAPCREATE™ USA 6.3 SOFTWARE is not shown on the main software page...you have dig around to find it.

I have some answers for you.

I didn't have any problems downloading manual for iWay 100M. Try to use different brouser (Firefox, for example).

On you second question - no, it doesn't have any specific geocaching features.

You could also find some additional information here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=91979

The ideal unit is very subjective. I personally switched from a Meridian Color to the Garmin GPSmap 60cs about a year ago. I recommended the Geko 201 for my grandkids, and the Garmin GPSmap 76cs for my son-in-law. Each had a specific need and primary use that was more in the direction of that particular unit. I do think that the long-term geocaching fraternity is definitely going towards the 60cs.

Hi

I wanted a lightweight unit more for bushwalking than anythiing so I went for the Garmin Geko 301. Now I use it nearly exclusively for geocaching and prefer my map and compass (real navigation :rolleyes: ) for bushwalking. Given my primary use I am looking to upgrade to a Garmin 60CS later in the year.

Regards

Andrew

I'm using a Garmin map 76c and a suunto wristtop (with barometer and compass) and this combination works fine for me!!

I think,as with everything,there is no ultimate.....but the Garmin 60c(s) and 76c(s) come pretty d**n close!!!!

Before this I've used a Magellan meridian color which was quite good,except for the battery-time....