Claiming Virtuals Prior To Joining !

kph100

Hi

I have Scafell Pike in my watched list at it was one I planned to do previously.

Ive had an update email where a cacher claimed this for Aug 2002. A check on their profile shows they did not join till after this date.

What are peoples views on this ? personally thinks its wrong and should be deleted otherwise we could claim all sorts, like myself I have climbed Snowsdon loads of times and could claim this but have not until I do it after being a cacher ?

Am I being unfair ?

Edited by kph100

They dont have the gps in the photo either <_<:o as stated on the cache page. But I would not worry about it to much, its up to the cache owner.

Scafell was my 16th cache, 6 months after starting caching, but I did not know about the cache till a month AFTER I got back. I had the photo with me and my gps, so I emailed the owner and asked if it was OK.

Edited by Deego

This can be a problem, and has to be enforced by the cache owner. If you have a cache where a pic is needed with a GPS, or where the log requires an answer to be mailed to the owner, then a log lacking this criteria must be deleted.

If this is not done, then you will get into a situation where you've got holiday snaps being used and the problem you're now facing.

I would start right now. Go back through all the logs and make a list of all the cachers involved. If photos have been posted without the GPS shown, and this is clearly stated as a requirement on the cache page, then mail the cachers involved, ask them to provide a pic with GPS, and upload it.

If this does not happen, or they don't have a picture, then the log has to be deleted. As the owner, you must act on this.

There will be scenarios like Donnacha, who found caches and then created a username, and Deego, who unwittingly got a photo that fitted the criteria - but if you've got someone who started caching, then realised there was a cache on Scarfell, then uploaded an old shot that did not meet the requirements and claimed the find, then you'll have to take action. Otherwise it will be to the cache's detriment and the people who did make the effort and found the cache as required will be disappointed.

Good question!

I've done quite a few of these virtual cache peaks...before i got into caching. I've got photos of various memorials and trig points.....in various levels of cloud and rain.. etc BUT no picture of the GPS cos I didn't own one at the time. I had wondered myself if i could claim them as finds.... i dont get to go the hilly bits of the country that often and feel i should climb new peaks whilst there rather than climbing the same ones (nice as they are) just to claim a virtual.

If people say they've done them when really they haven't it just themselves they're lying to and will have to live with the guilt.

I'll dig my photos out and plead with the individual cache owners

Mart

I was young and naive to the ways of caching

Not getting at you Brian - I'd probably have done the same, especially if I had made it to the top of England! :(

Happy Christmas :o

I did not think you were :(<_< All I was trying to say was I would not do it now. But at the time I thought it was the right way of doing it, If the GPS had not been in the picture I would not have even tried to log it.

Edited by Deego

OK then... what about a traditional cache?

What if someone finds a traditional cache by accident, signs the log and then takes up geocaching a year or more later and claims the find? That would be ok wouldn't it "TNLNSL".

A virtual cache is only asking you to visit the coordinates - if you have done that then you have found the cache (virtually) as long as the thing you are supposed to find was there when you visited it! I agree though that if the listing asks for proof then it should be supplied but 'person on top of hill with recognisable background' should be adequate, with or without GPSR in hand.

I have to admit that I'm not a great fan of virtual caches, and I have visited Pen-Y-Fan many times prior to starting geocaching but never considered claiming it as a find without going back again (one day....) but why not? <_< <_<

Boneychest & Catsuey wrote:

What if someone finds a traditional cache by accident, signs the log and then takes up geocaching a year or more later and claims the find? That would be ok wouldn't it "TNLNSL".

A virtual cache is only asking you to visit the coordinates - if you have done that then you have found the cache (virtually) as long as the thing you are supposed to find was there when you visited it! I agree though that if the listing asks for proof then it should be supplied but 'person on top of hill with recognisable background' should be adequate, with or without GPSR in hand.

That's a very interesting point. I'd never looked at it like that. Certainly I would agree that the traditional in your example would be a valid find - indeed more than a few cachers have discovered the game when they found a cache by accident, and then signed up after the find.

In the light of that, I'm inclined to think that I myself would accept a found log on a virtual from before someone began caching, provided that they supplied the proof requested on the cache page.

What if someone finds a traditional cache by accident, signs the log and then takes up geocaching a year or more later and claims the find?

That is more or less how our ace (for the time being) cacher Seasider started, except that he joined the club and logged the cache as soon as he found out what it was all about - then proceeded to log 100 in I think three weeks, and 1000 in 9 months or so!

Edited by John Stead

I've just received a watchlist notification for Pharisee's new cache by a cacher known as Virtualcacher. He logged it with a brief "Been there done that. TNLN The VC" so I thought I'd look at his profile as it seems a little brief for such an "involved" cache!

Virtualcacher profile

It seems he's been a member since September but found 60 caches yesterday - could this be something of a record????? Or maybe this thread has stirred him up?????

I was about to start a new thread on this "Guy". Seems like he found a few of mine as well. Like you I checked his profile and it seems that in his quest for 60 caches in one day he visited Bucks, Beds, Herts, Northants and among other counties - Cornwall.

Quite impressive <_< - I think not.

I suspect that his total of 60 won't be quite so impressive by the end of the day <_<

A intresting question but i would look at this as even if they dont log it for a while at least when they do it means they have signed upto geocaching which gives the site another member and hopefully they will continue caching in the future and may become a premium member helping the site even more,

anyway its all good fun the more people who becomes geocachers the better for all other geocachers.

over and out windywalkers :)

in his quest for 60 caches in one day he visited Bucks, Beds, Herts, Northants and among other counties - Cornwall.

Well, I DID do caches in Kent and Cornwall in one day...

But I only found 11 caches total in the day - all of them in different counties.

So, it would be possible to log caches in Northamptonshire and Cornwall in the same day. But find 58 other caches? Nah!

Bob Aldridge