Remote cache sites?

KungFuJoe

Just curious, but has anyone created a really remote cache site?

You know, like 20 miles from a road?

Maybe in the middle of a wilderness area?

That sort of thing?

Just wondering. Seems like a lot of the pros out there could use the difficulty level cranked up a notch or two.

KFJ

Those are both killer sites.

I'm actually considering making a cache in a National Forest area by my house. It's about a 1 1/2 hour drive, then about 16 miles in by foot (no ATVs or bikes).

It'll definitely max out the difficulty meter, as the total elevation gain is a little over 4000 feet. It's all up and down, and the starting and ending elevations are within a hundred feet of each other. Anyone who's hiked in the West By God Virginia area has a feel for this. Totally unlike hiking out West. Much more difficult, in my opinion.

My question is this, though. This will be my first cache, and since it'll be in a National Forest, I assume I'll need permission to leave it there? Or do you just "go for it?" I'm planning on calling the local district ranger station to ask, but I was wondering if anyone here had been through this before?

Thanks for the excellent posts.

KunfFuJoe

quote:
Originally posted by KungFuJoe:

You'd be hard pressed to find anywhere in the United States 20 miles from a road.

In '96, Car and Driver magazine attempted to reach the most remote spot in the lower 48.

They found it at N37°24'49.5" W111°16'47.03" in south-central Utah. Although the article is six years old, it can be found here.

If you're curious, here are the closest caches the the most remote location.

Jamie

quote:

I'm actually considering making a cache in a National Forest area by my house. It's about a 1 1/2 hour drive, then about 16 miles in by foot (no ATVs or bikes).

Are you talking about Wayne National Forest? I know WV has really rugged terrain, but Ohio?

I hid the VT cache GeoSpotter referenced above. I would love to see some more 'earn it' caches.

-WR

"Why worry when you can obsess?"

A cache called Ride the Rat (GC6D54) is a 28 mile round trip bike ride up almost to the Rattlesnake wilderness area. The altitude gain is 1600 feet. It is on our list for next year. While you can get closer by forest service roads, the trail is the better option for the much more gradual incline.

AND, up in the Bob Marshall area is a cache (GC121B) that was flown in to a grass landing strip, and has never been found.

-Jennifer

Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else. (JM Barrie)

quote:

Just curious, but has anyone created a really remote cache site?

Maybe in the middle of a wilderness area?

That sort of thing?

Just wondering. Seems like a lot of the pros out there could use the difficulty level cranked up a notch or two.

KFJ

This one is a two day hike to get to the cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=5568

This one speaks for itself

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=7025

icon_biggrin.gif

P.S. Almost forgot this one 5/5 but it will soon be a 100/100 if Bush has his way

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=35424

Work Smarter, Not Harder!

The two referenced caches in Canada sure do look remote, but I think the hiders got a little overzealous with the difficulty ratings. Neither one seems to deserve the 4- and 5-star difficulty ratings. I can't speak for the terrain, although I imagine they both have some amazing scenery.

Jamie

Those are some great caches....gotta travel more....

We just put this one out last week.. "Come and Get It"... it's a little over 9 miles if you know the easiest way in, and around 12/13 miles if you don't. What makes this one particularly difficult is the 5/8 feet of snow (current)...the cache was put out with the intent of it being a winter cache, so you won't have to dig holes all around the area to find it. I actually know at least two folks that are going to go for it, as soon as the weather gets a little better.Come and Get It

There is another cache North of here we might try for an a couple months, it wasn't designed as a winter cache, but I know the location and it shouldn't be hard to find...doing it with a few feet of snow on the ground should make it a real challenge..

Mt. Eddy Buried Treasure

It should also be really buried!

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I own the Anasazi Ruins cache that is about 20 miles froom the nearest parking spot. It takes a minimum of 40 miles round trip and three days round trip to bag this one. I placed it o 8/24/2002 and was going to archive it this November if no one found it. Last month someone did get the cache and they took the long way to get to it.

Check it Out.

What is neat about this cache is that it is in a National Park but still has a log book stored in a food container. The other neat thing is it takes you to some indian ruins that are not frequently visited. I bet only a handfull of the few hundred people that hike in this area each year even know that it exists. What a shame because they walk within a hundred yards of the historic dwellings as they go by.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=dcc5712b-8acb-4baa-aab5-dd93738b3d46

Zinnware

Come on up here.

There are several that are in the middle of nowhere.

Others are near "roads", but those "roads" dont go anywhere other than the town. Only way to get to the town is by air or sea. Nome, Barrow, Sitka, Juneau....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

We dont have to many hills here in S.W. Florida but we got plenty of swamps and mangroves. I just placed a multi-cache in the middle of Everglades (Collier County) and to get to the cache sites, you must wade waist deep through swamp infested with cotton mouth, alligators, spiders, and wild hogs. Its about 11.5 miles give or take a mile. Its hard to walk a straight line in this swamp. No atv's, bikes, airboat allowed in this area. So far, I have only two people that have completed the cache. The last person told me that he saw a 15 foot gator that was not very shy of his presence. HeartBreak2Several people have e-mailed me to inquire if they can do this in sections and they like the idea that there is an element of perceived danger involve. Its a cache hunt that requires you to be comfortable with swamp criters. :blink: I wish we have more of this type cache here in Forida.