Snow Shoes

Mastifflover

I love caching in the winter, it's the season when I first started. Now that we finally have some snow on the ground and will be getting more, I have started thinking about getting a pair of snowshoes. Does anyone that uses them have any suggestions. I know that your weight has a lot to do with how large a snowshoe you need. I weigh about 215 it that helps me narrow my choices. :blink:

Hey Mastifflover,

I bought a pair of Yukon’s at the end of last year very cheap. I had wanted a set for a few years and couldn’t afford to spend $200 for a set. I had been at Sam’s and saw that they had been closing them out at 35% off. They were still too costly, with my budget.

I had stopped in a few days later and found that they discounted them down to cost at $47. I could not resist that price. I recommend that you wait till the end of the season to purchase them. Mine came with telescopic poles, which I really didn’t care for. So I was out garage sale hopping over the summer and found a set of fixed ski poles with molded hand grips for about $5. Needless to say I grabbed them for the snowshoes, keeping the telescopic ones for back up. I can’t wait to use them, we just got our first snow fall yesterday!

Also, I just was at Dicks looking for some hunting stuff last week and they were closing out summer – lightweight - fishing vest reg. $30 discounted down to $11.50. I found that they have enough pockets for just about any of your caching needs. Yes, I bought it!

I highly recommend, when purchasing anything, wait till the end of the season to do it. You usually can get stuff almost at the stores cost. :blink:

Happy Caching SF1

I love caching in the winter, it's the season when I first started.  Now that we finally have some snow on the ground and will be getting more, I have started thinking about getting a pair of snowshoes.  Does anyone that uses them have any suggestions.  I know that your weight has a lot to do with how large a snowshoe you need.  I weigh about 215 it that helps me narrow my choices. :D

A lot depends on your weight and the weight you'll be carrying. Also the kind of snow you'll be walking on. If you'll be mostly on packed trails, then you can go with the smaller shoes in your weight range. If you'll be mostly going off trail and/or breaking track in fresh snow, you'll need the largest size. By this I mean if the mfr's Shoe A supports 180-225 lbs and Shoe B supports 210-250 lbs and you're at 215 lbs, you'll want Shoe A if you are mostly on packed trails and Shoe B if you are going mostly off trail.

I agree with Jeremy on the Atlas shoes. I have a pair of Atlas Summits (9" x 36") that are excellent. Well made and easy to use bindings - even with gloves on. My wife uses a pair of Redfeathers and they are quite nice too. Stay away from Tubbs. The binding system stinks. I've been telling people this for years and went against my advice and bought our daughter a pair of Tubbs (because they were the only brand in the store) and of course she constantly has to deal with her shoes falling off :blink: .

MSR shoes are pretty inexpensive and get good reviews, but have had problems with breakage in very cold weather. My brother has Yakima shoes and they seem to have the same binding system as Tubbs, so I'd stay away from those.

You can get some very good deals on snowshoes here.

Edited by briansnat

I use the MSR's too and think they are great for several reasons. One, they have interchangable tails that change the length of the shoe to adapt to deeper snow or heavier people...or people with backpacks. Second, they are firmer than the others and their edges grab better in slushy spring conditions. They are also bulletproof!

I like the looks of the Atlas shoes. I found these Atlas Shoes on EBay. Any opinions on these? They look pretty nice.

The 836 is an older, now discontinued model. I think they were Atlas's all purpose shoe when they were out. Never used them, but I'm sure they're as good as any other Atlas shoe. I wouldn't bid too much over $100 for them, because a quick Google search showed a few places still selling them for $119.

The ones you linked to are on the larger side, which will be good if you're breaking track in deep, new snow. If you plan to hike mostly trails where the snow will be packed down, they could be overkill.

I have a pair from MSR and only use them “off trail” even if this means I am walking beside a packed trail. As recommended earlier pay attention to the weight limits of the snow shoe, your winter clothing and gear will add more than several pounds to your naked weight.

Seriously, if you are going to spend 90% of your time on a packed trail or occasionally hike a mile or two in a foot or two of snow you really do not need snowshoes. Get yourself instep crampons for the icy hard pack and a trekking pole.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Seriously, if you are going to spend 90% of your time on a packed trail or occasionally hike a mile or two in a foot or two of snow you really do not need snowshoes. Get yourself instep crampons for the icy hard pack and a trekking pole.

This has some truth to it. Snowshoes, no matter how good, will sink about a foot into light, fresh powder (less into wet snow), so unless the snow is deeper than a foot, you're not gaining much by wearing snowshoes (and carrying a lot of unecessary weight on your feet).

Depending on how hard the trails are packed down, you may or may not need showshoes. I've been on lightly packed trails where I was postholing two feet into it with my hiking boots. You do need snowshoes on these trails. On firmly packed trails, you probably don't need them.

After reading this more and being in the market for snow shoes, tell me your thoughts on snow shoes for generally fresh snow/unpacked areas. I am a 5'2" woman and weigh around 115 lbs. I noticed that Orvis had some that were quite affordable, but since I often think that you get what you pay for, I wondered about those. Also, what about poles? Recommendations?

Also, what about poles? Recommendations

I just use my Komperdell trekking poles. They come with larger baskets for winter use and I just switch come winter. Any cross country ski pole will work fine too. Downhill ski poles are too short.

Regarding the Orvis shoes, Orvis is not known for selling junk. Their shoes are probably made for them by a major manufacturer and stamped with the Orvis brand.

Edit: After checking Orvis' website, the shoes look like they're probably made by Tubbs. I'd stay away from them for the reason I mentioned in my earlier post (terrible bindings).

Edited by briansnat
Also, what about poles? Recommendations

I just use my Komperdell trekking poles. They come with larger baskets for winter use and I just switch come winter. Any cross country ski pole will work fine too. Downhill ski poles are too short.

Regarding the Orvis shoes, Orvis is not known for selling junk. Their shoes are probably made for them by a major manufacturer and stamped with the Orvis brand.

Edit: After checking Orvis' website, the shoes look like they're made by Tubbs. I'd stay away from them for the reason I mentioned in my earlier post (terrible bindings).

Thanks for the info! On the Orvis shoes, I agree that Orvis is usually trustworthy, but the shoes I saw (in the sky miles catalog no less) are half the price of others I looked at! I sure am tempted by the price, but am wondering why half the price, especially when I saw them in skymiles, which at times has good prices, but often is trying to appeal to people who don't know better. Has anyone out there used the Orvis snow shoes???? I am very tempted by them, but want to be sure I get a good product. The Orvis brand does help there though.

About this time last year I bought a pair of Tubbs snowshoes at my local EMS. Being a "bigger" person, ie about 240 loaded weight I bought the 6"x30" model. I've used these shoes about 6 times and I absolutely love them. The snow that I've used them on has been mostly light, but not fluffy. I have used these mostly on unbroken trails. I only sink a few inches in the snow when using them.

I was able to strap them on and take off. I only had one minor learning curve. I was tending to bring the back of my feet in towards each other. Well needless to say, when you do this, you step on the other shoe and fall over. Needless to say it is rather interresting getting back up. This is where the trekking poles where worth their weight in gold.

As far as recommendation for trekking poles to use while snowshoeing. I bought snow baskets for my Leki's and just screwed them on. It only cost me a few dollars extra for these basket.

Carleen, if you are in Pennsylvania again when there is snow. I highly recommend snow shoeing in the Allegheny National Forest. But be prepared to not find most caches, considering they are hidden under feet of snow.

Those MSR snow shoes look nice too but all of that plastic scares me a little as far as durability.

There was problems with them breaking in really cold weather. I read somewhere that MSR addressed that, but I don't know the specifics.

If it ever gets cold enough to damage my MSR shoes, I certainly won't be there to see it. :rolleyes:

I've been looking for snow shoes that work with ski boots. I see snowboarders use them for off trail.

The only issue I see is that ski boots are larger around then most pack boots.

I've even thought about a hack. Mounting trick ski toe clip bindings on shoes.

Any thoughts?

Why do you wanna do that? If you want to do a skiing tour a pair of special tour-ski is much better ...

btw.: I use MSR snow shoes too.

Why do you wanna do that? If you want to do a skiing tour a pair of special tour-ski is much better ...

I didn't mention anything about touring. :lol:

When one wipes out in deep powder, it takes forever to gather up skis and poles. I also have popped off my skis for a couple of photo shoots that was pretty hard trekking around. I'd like to cut the waist deep snow down to a more manageable depth.

I know that these are not name brand but they look pretty good. Any opinions? Guide Gear Snowshoes

I can't tell you about the shoes themselves, but I have bought a fair amount of poduct from the Sportsmans Guide, including their Guide Gear product, and I've been satisfied with everything. They stand behind their products, with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

If the snowshoe experts don't detect any problems with them from the pics, I wouldn't be afraid to try them out. Its only a lack of time to use them, and money to buy them that has prevented my purchasing a pair already.

Ok, I know how this will go. Someone who lives in Texas giving advice on snow travel?!?!?

Bear with me, since I grew up in snow country, and lived in central Alaska for several years. Don't blame me that I'm snow deprived in my current location. :lol:

After trekking around in snow for years, I've rarely come across the situation where snow shoes offered any advantage over a good pair of skis. Having that glide option is very nice for any downhill situation to save energy and make better time, and once skills are developed, going uphill is no harder or difficult than doing it on snow shoes.

Yes, having the longer skis could be a pain closer in to the cache, but the extra time spent on maneuvering your longer skis is easily negated by the glide you gain and extra distance covered with the stride.

So, I'd recommend a good pair of backcountry skis rather than snowshoes.

I've got quite a number of miles under my belt with the shoes on (longest trek was a little over 25km), so my opinion is not borne of prejudice, rather, after experience with both sets of equipment when I reached this conclusion.

Just food for thought.

I have a pair of Atlas 825's and they work quite well. They're probably too small for a larger person (I'm 155 lbs.) but the Atlas website does a good job telling you what shoe you need. The bindings are easy to use, even when your fingers are frozen, and the shoes are small enough to manoeuver through brush. The built-in ice spikes (crampons) are great for crusty snow. Winter cache seeking is a big challenge...invest in a good folding shovel.