Something Peculiar Is Happening!

Something very peculiar has started happening on the mag website over the last few days.....

I run a few picture ads on the right hand side of the homepage to help offset some of the costs of running the site but a few days ago the ad jpegs "disappeared" and now everytime I remake the web page and upload it they "disappear" again within an hour or so.

Now I'm no web expert but I do know that up until a few days ago what I've been doing worked fine. I also know that some folk don't like to see any form of advertising where caching is concerned and though I can't be certain, the only explanation I can think of is that the mag site is being hacked by someone who doesn't like the ads being there.

I'd hate to think another cacher would do this, afterall i'm doing my best to provide a useful mag with very limited financial resources.....

Of course maybe I'm just a little paranoid and there's a more rational explanation so if anyone can offer any other explanations/has experienced similar problems or can see whats going wrong from the coding i'd be grateful for the help.

thanks and happy caching

inuk

Hi Gary I've just had a look, and you've got four adds with pictures on the home page. The only add with a problem, is the top left one were it says advert by google. Only it's reading goooooogle (not sure if I've got the no of o's right).

Happy Hippo make sure you add it to your favorites <_<

Dave Welsh Region :huh:

goooooogle corected after count by daughter :ph34r:

Edited by Mancunian Pyrocacher

I've had the red x problem before and this seems to be something different, i'm not getting red x's this time. There should be three ads on the RHS of the news section (which at the moment seem to be staying put) but there should also be a cottages ad where the narrow white horizontal band is just below the News section which has now disappeared again.

Also there's a new advertisers page which at the moment repeats the ads on the homepage. I reset all that page at around 1am this morning but the pics aren't there this morning (not on my machine anyway)

thanks for the help and suggestions so far, please keep them coming, problem not yet resolved!

thanks

Inuk

I take it you have been provided with a script to paste into your page which in turn displays the ads?

Every time the page is loaded by a browser the script pulls an advert from the remote ad provider company. This script displays the dynamic content being pushed by the advert provider, the content will change from time to time.

Occasional the polling of a new ad from the remote server may fail due to high traffic at the advertisers servers. This may result in the image disappearing from your page.

It may also be the case that the new content the company is pushing doesn't yet exist or is broken at that moment in time (missing resource, badly formated image, admin error etc)... then again this may result in the image disappearing from your page.

It is normal for ad banners to be often broken and slow loading....

Maybe this is the cause of your peculiar happenings.

Cottages link is there for me at 09:16. Next time any disappear, could you hold fire on replacing them for a while so that we can look at the html and see if there's any evidence of a problem.

I notice that the page is a dynamic asp thingy. Are you using some whizzy ad-rotator to add in the ads, or just adding static links to the page?

If you suspect foul play, try downloading the .asp file by FTP and comparing it with the version on your home PC. If the two match, the problem's with your code; if the two differ then your server has been compromised.

thanks for the suggestion stonefisk but the ads in question are not pulled from another source but just simple hyperlinked jpegs. The advertisers provided the graphic, I pasted it into the webpage and created the hyperlink.

the only externally sourced ads are the gooogle ads which are working fine.

The site is hosted by 1&1 internet on on their MSBusiness package

I reset all the pages at 09:15 this morning, the cottages link disappeared within a few minutes - worked at first then went! All other links are present and correct at this time - lets see what happens over the next couple of hours! I go make a brew and TFA for the time being.

thanks

Inuk

Are you running Antivirus or Ad banning software? If you are (especially Norton) then a cache of recurring ads is made and it is a bugger to view them even through changing the options!

On our home page @ houseofboo.co.uk I never get to view the piccy on the first page as norton has taken it upon itself to warrant it as an ad! So this might be yourproblem...then again it might not!

House Of Boo

19:55

I see no cottages.

Delete the ad link from your page, insert a text note, upload the page and see if the text appears. Work up to your solution from there. eg link to an existing ad that you know is on the server.

I know that's basic advice, but it's all I have.

The source code doesn't show an ad, that I can see, nor a space for the ad. No one else seems to see the ad nor does the page appear incomplete.

Good luck

Last time I saw a problem like this the author had 2 'default' files.

one was default.htm and one was default.html

One was being sent out as standard when you hit the site, while the other was being sent out when you used any link to go back to the homepage.

I don't think that 's the problem here..... but you never know.

OK I guess i should have tried this sooner but it seems my problems are confined to this pc. I've looked at the site on other pc's and they display the pages as they should be. This dadgum machine is having fun and games with me and not displaying all the pictures/links.

I've tried cleaning out the IE cache

thanks for all the help and suggestions

best regards

inuk