My Caching Days Have Been Interupted

Team Vorvik

Due to someone taking a liking for my car last night i will not be able to go out caching until my car is found or until i can find a replacement, My car was a Mazda 323 GLXi 5 door hatch White in colour and with the following Reg.No. J632AWU so i'm placing the details here in the slim chance that someone may spot it.

VorvikHunter (now on foot)

After having a car accident last month (I know it's not the same) I don't envy the challenge that you now have with the insurance company. ;)<_<

You are correct i live in York and was about to make the car a Mobile TB but luckily i still have the TB tags.

You may still be in luck, it may be a newbie cacher and is trying to fit it into a container as we speak. ;)

Sorry not the thread for jokes I suppose.

I hope the car turns up in one piece.

My advice now would be to keep hassling the police. Ours was stolen from our drive, used in an armed robbery about 10 hours later (having been filled up with petrol on the way to the crime [it is a Suburu Imprezza so doesn't do many to the gallon]). The police forgot to tell us they'd found it and it was only when I had an irate credit controller on from the storage company asking us when we were going to settle the bill that it turned up.

The kids car seats took another two months to be found in a police storage area having been lobbed into the same field the car was dumped in.

No damage to the car, apart from the locks and the CD player (minus the front security bit) which was faulty and they didn't even load our insurance.

Let's hope you get it back soon in one piece . . .

Shame. Those little f***ers don't have a brain cell between them and never think that people need their cars to get them out to work or elsewhere.

I had an incident with car thieves last year which may come as consolation to anyone who has ever been a victim of this hateful crime.

I had just bought my current cachemobile and my girlfriend was still running her F-reg Metro over here in Ireland that she brought with her from the UK. The car was in poor nick but had a current MOT and insurance here. Then the clutch cable snapped and I wasn't able to DIY it, and as the MOT and tax was expiring we would have had to register the car here and get it road tested again, which would have cost more than the car was worth, so it was time to go.

At the time we were really busy and I was trying to get hold of a trailer (and suitable towing vehicle) to take the thing to the scrapyard as I didn't trust the brakes on the Metro.

So the car was sitting outside our house for about three weeks. One evening we were out for a meal, were heading home and on the other side of the roundabout we saw two kids driving the rusty, blue, brake- and clutch-less Metro.

Two quick gear changes later I was sitting behind them, and they turned into a housing estate. They pulled in, seemingly unaware, so I went for the guy in the drivers seat. I'd hate to be sitting in a car and see me lunge at the door. B)

He wasn't a complete baby, he was about 17 and a couple of inches smaller than me, and as I was dragging him out of the car he swung. Big mistake. So we're beating each other up and down the street when I got the bright idea to take him to the cop station. So I bundled him into the boot of my car and off we went to the cop shop.

Once the cops had stopped laughing at the sight of this (apparently well-known to them) gentleman stuffed in the boot of my car they came out and had a look at the Metro before arresting him. It later turned out that the guy tried to file assault charges but the cops 'convinced' him this was a very bad idea, especially since he stole the car and threw the first punch... B)

On a more serious note, the cops thanked me and said it was a good job I caught him as he could have killed himself or someone else given the state of the car. They even arranged a truck to come and scrap it for me.

And in the end, he got a six-month suspended jail sentence. Hooray! :lol:

Edited by klaus23

Well done Klaus! If only more car thefts ended that way. Shame the little to$$er didn't get more than a slapped wrist for his trouble.

I had an astra nicked once (they've all been nicked at least once) and the cops caught the git bang to rights after one of my Mum's friends caught him and his girlfriend loading shopping into the car in town!

I was invited to the cop shop to identify my property and you should have seen the hoard that they had seized from his flat. There were probably 20 car stereos alone, 6 or 7 portable stereos, mountains of clothes with the labels still on, etc, etc...

And this despite the fact that he had only been in the country two weeks having spent two years in Tenerife robbing anybody who left anything alone long enough. The sh1tb@g only got two years suspended sentence in the end. Hopefully they extradited him to the canaries and they cut his hands off but I don't know if they ever did.

To vorvikhunter - I am really sorry this has been the end to your tale. Hopefully you will be able to salvage something from the situation and get you mobile and out caching again B)

Si

Suspended sentences and slap wrists Thats all we hear nowdays of the little barskets.

I'll tell you a tale.

A certain person was breaking into certain motors whilst the drivers were going for a bodily fuction. The police knew who it was but could do nothing.

One dark evening a small group waited and caught the thief. Bundled him into a motor, took him for a ride to a dark lonly spot and smashed his hands with a hammer and chucked him out of the motor.

He was not active after this.

A certain person was breaking into certain motors whilst the drivers were going for a bodily fuction. The police knew who it was but could do nothing.

One dark evening a small group waited and caught the thief. Bundled him into a motor, took him for a ride to a dark lonly spot and smashed his hands with a hammer and chucked him out of the motor.

Both parties in this 'story' are scum in my book.

Both parties in this 'story' are scum in my book.

Let us start with something simple.

Have you ever had one of your caches trashed? If so what were your thoughts to the trashers?

Have you ever had uninvited guests enter your property and take items that you have worked and paid for?

Maybe they have taken mementoes that to you are memories of your family life and not replaceable.

What would be your thoughts of these persons?

A car is normally the second most expensive item that one would buy, after a home.

A pride and joy to most.

So some scumbag helps themselves to it for a bit of fun. It ends up like Vorvikhunters, and you can see the results.

If they ever get caught, they and others of their kind may get their licences taken away if they had one. But so what? That will not stop them from doing it again.

A few hundred years ago if one were to steal a loaf of bread they would have been hung..

Two social workers were walking along the road. They come across a man laying in the gutter. He had been robbed and badly beaten up.

One social worker says to the other. “ Who ever did this, they need help”.

Thats all I will add to this thread as its gone off the path of geocaching. 'Click'

<SNIP SELF-JUSTIFCATION DRIVEL>

Thats all I will add to this thread as its gone off the path of geocaching. 'Click'

Trying to justify mob rule vigilantism and vigilante justice?

This scum-mob committed Abduction, Assault, ABH and GBH and possible all on a minor..... yeah you can try and justify it all you like..... its wrong. If this leftist nanny system is failing you, then change the system... legally.

But then again I don't actually believe you, I have heard this "put in boot of car and taken somewhere for a beating" story in several guises. Its often an urban myth told by men of a certain age in pubs (and forums). What their motives are for telling such tales of woe is one for the head doctor, possibly just plain ignorance.

But if you do reiterating that you are telling the truth. You will have convinced me this it is possible you have information regarding a serious crime, one which carries a hefty prison sentence.

In that case I can only hope hard-copies of what has been claimed in this forum is enough to convince the police to pay a visit to ******************* {Edited by Lactodorum to remove personal details} and question him regarding what information he has about this possible crime.

Edited by Lactodorum

If worth anything, I'd like to clarify that I did not intend to harm the young fella that stole my car. It was a citizens arrest, and he was being brought to the police by me. The violence was because a) I was mad enough at having my car stolen and B) he had the cheek to try and hit me.

This "dragging someone off to break his fingers" is vigilanteism, and that's taking law enforcement into your own hands. In return for living in a peaceful democracy, we place our law enforcement into elected representatives' hands. If the legal system is not universally respected and abided by, then democracy breaks down.

I think these stories are told in the pub (often made up or exaggerated by local myth) because it is what most of us would like to have done to the perpetrators. Unfortunately all they normally get is a slapped wrist.

I heard the other day - in the news - first hand - not in a pub. Of a 14 year old joy(less) rider being banned for driving for two years! Yeah you do the maths!

I heard the other day - in the news - first hand - not in a pub. Of a 14 year old joy(less) rider being banned for driving for two years! Yeah you do the maths!

Don't these bans come into force retrospectively AFTER the driver in question has passed his test? That was certainly the case of an acquaintance of mine who had had a somewhat colourful youth (spelled 'yoof' in this case) and had a 5 year ban on his license. As he did not havea license at the time of his offenses, it would come into force after he had taken and passed a driving test, thus removing all motivation for him to have lessons and take his test!

Don't these bans come into force retrospectively AFTER the driver in question has passed his test?

No I don't think they would be even able to take the test or even have lessons as they are already banned from driving!

They are banned as soon as they apply for and receive a provisional license. Or if they have that pink license already then that will be the one to carry any endorsements/bans. It would be the first thing a commerical instructor looks at before giving giving first lesson. They wont even get as far as a test.

Edited by stonefisk
It was on local news TV about three or four weeks ago. I can't remember if it was BBC or independent and it could be East Midlands or West Midlands because we are in a valley and generally get one through the aerial and the other through Sky so I am on a bit of a non-starter finding it. :(

oh okay. Google u.k news doesn't return anything close to such a story either.