Cameras - Recommendations?

I was looking up the A70, and it says that it accepts type one or type two CF memory cards? what is the difference in type one and two anyways??? ;)

All new CF are type two now. You don't have to worry about type one unless you have an old card that you want to use.

Type two is a faster flash memory than type one.

I've noticed this pattern with all types of memory. The SD memory that I just bought has the same problem. I assume the slower memory maybe slows down the time between photos or maybe it only slows down the upload speed to the PC or printer. Maybe it doesn't really matter at all and it is another marketing gimic to get us to spend more money! ;)

Maybe it doesn't really matter at all and it is another marketing gimic to get us to spend more money!

Memory speed is very noticeable when you take high quality continuous action shots.

So how fast is enough?

Type two.

I checked the web and found this site that compares various CF write speeds. It looks like the CF's are all around 2M/s. I checked the 32X SD card that I ordered and it is rated for 4.8M/s. However, I could have gotten an SD card that went up to 9M/s. I guess I will have to see if I will have "a need for speed".

I was looking up the A70, and it says that it accepts type one or type two CF memory cards? what is the difference in type one and two anyways??? ;)

All new CF are type two now. You don't have to worry about type one unless you have an old card that you want to use.

Are they interchangable? (I have an 8mb from digital camera, and wonder if it would work in something else, though its very small...)

I was looking up the A70, and it says that it accepts type one or type two CF memory cards? what is the difference in type one and two anyways??? :lol:

Are they interchangable? (I have an 8mb from digital camera, and wonder if it would work in something else, though its very small...)

Yes, they are but I'd toss the 8MB, it is pretty much worthless nowadays! You can get a 512MB CF card here for $28 today! ;)

We use a Olympus Camedia 740 and it does everything we need it to do while geocaching. My wife takes a lot of pictures and does scrapbooking, so I'm getting her a Nikon D70. But for what I need a camera to do, the Olympus is great and easy to use.

That is the key! What do you want it to do! I carry a Canon S200 when I go caching because it is very small.

Well I have to apologize about passing on bad info on the CF type 1 & 2.

Cf type 1 and 2 is, apparently, the size/shape of the card. Type two maybe the card that can't be installed backwards.?

I did learn that the speed of a CF card is represented by a X like a CD rom. Each X is about 150kb/s transfer speed. The standard card is a 12X to 20X. 1 to 3mb/s. A good card starts at 40X, and I bought an 80X card. 12mb/s trans speed.

Now here is the irony. After buying the super hot 80X card, I found some bad news in an online forum. The Canon Powershot snapshot cameras only have a 2.5mb/s buffer to CF speed. B)

Cf type 1 and 2 is, apparently, the size/shape of the card.

It's my understanding, and I could be incorrect, is that the type-II were originally the IBM microdrives, which actually contained a miniature harddrive inside the card, allowing for much greater capacity.

Nowadays, the usefulness of a microdrive is limited since flash memory cards can be had into the multi-gigabyte range, but the type-II size remains.

Jamie

Well I have to apologize about passing on bad info on the CF type 1 & 2.

Cf type 1 and 2 is, apparently, the size/shape of the card. Type two maybe the card that can't be installed backwards.?

I did learn that the speed of a CF card is represented by a X like a CD rom. Each X is about 150kb/s transfer speed. The standard card is a 12X to 20X. 1 to 3mb/s. A good card starts at 40X, and I bought an 80X card. 12mb/s trans speed.

Now here is the irony. After buying the super hot 80X card, I found some bad news in an online forum. The Canon Powershot snapshot cameras only have a 2.5mb/s buffer to CF speed. B)

Good info! I always wondered what "x" equaled. I also read that same camera speed limitation thing too. So the lesson learned is to first look up your camera specs before investing in more expensive memory. But always try to buy the fastest memory so you can do rapid fire shooting to increase your odds of getting a good action shot!

If anyone is interested, my wife and I combined some early Christmas money and put it towards the Konica Minolta - Dimage Z3 Digital Camera. It had many of the options indicated in this topic and also had 10x optical zoom with image stabilization and an amazing macro option. So far this thing blows my socks off.

That looks like a great camera. A little large to bring everywehere like I do with my Canon A-70, but it certainly might replace my big bag of Minolta SRT bodies and lenses.

Yes. I admit it is bigger, but I was looking for something larger than my Sony CyberShot camera. I'm more than willing to add more bulk to take better pictures.

In all honesty I was planning on an SLR, but I knew I wouldn't be able to meet the cost estimate for my optimal system B)

Edited by Jeremy

I think it's impossible to get a small digital camera that has a large optical zoom. I was hiking about a month ago and saw a couple of deer in a field about 500 yards from where I was standing. I pulled out my compact S200 and tried zooming in for a shot. Not a chance! That isn't the first time that has happened to me. Now that I've invested in a camera with a 48X total zoom, I probably will never see another deer, but I'm ready! B)

By the way Jeremy, your new Z3 has a 48X total zoom too!

Edited by TrailGators
Now that I've invested in a camera with a 48X total zoom, I probably will never see another deer, but I'm ready!  B)

Good gravy! I would strongly suggest turning off digital zoom though. You can always use Photo software to crop an image if you want. Digital zooming just chops pixels.

I never use the digital zoom either but with a 4 to 5 megapixel camera you could still get a 1-2 megapixel photo on a superzoom shot if you had too!

Edited by TrailGators
I never use the digital zoom either but with a 4 to 5 megapixel camera you could still get a 1-2 megapixel photo on a superzoom shot if you had too!

That's definitely true. I just know that the first time I use digital zoom I will cut off the head of my subject. If I just max zoom through optical I can just crop it in post processing for the same result.

I'm sure some folks can show you to some image hosting sites as well. Many of them allow you to crop, zoom, etc.

Another tip? Visit http://www.ritzpix.com if you want to upload your photos and have them printed and ready for you at the local Ritz Camera (or Camera World, etc). The interface is kind of clunky but once they're uploaded you can allow your friends to order them to be printed at their Ritz camera/etc. as well. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it but you can't beat the free shipping.

I'm sure some folks can show you to some image hosting sites as well. Many of them allow you to crop, zoom, etc.

Another tip? Visit http://www.ritzpix.com if you want to upload your photos and have them printed and ready for you at the local Ritz Camera (or Camera World, etc). The interface is kind of clunky but once they're uploaded you can allow your friends to order them to be printed at their Ritz camera/etc. as well. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it but you can't beat the free shipping.

That's cool! We have a Ritz at our local mall. I could upload the photos and pick up the photos an hour later! My wife will love that idea. The mall is her favorite place. Maybe that isn't such a good idea. I'm getting a photoprinter instead!

I'm getting a photoprinter instead!

I decided against it. Ritz uses the same chemical process as film to make their photos, which means they are waterproof and last for a very long time in comparison to dye sublimination or inkjet. I'm also not limited to the size of my prints.

If you still do, make sure to give yourself a cost estimate per photo based on the cost of paper and equipment. I came out better doing it through Ritz.

We're moving away from camera suggestions but I think this is all good info.

I think it's impossible to get a small digital camera that has a large optical zoom.

Smaller, lighter, stronger, and more compact lenses and cameras are on the way with the new ceramic lenses coming out.

That will make all digital cameras smaller. Anyhow, I hope that takes a little while because I just bought a new camera! B)

I'm getting a photoprinter instead!

I decided against it. Ritz uses the same chemical process as film to make their photos, which means they are waterproof and last for a very long time in comparison to dye sublimination or inkjet. I'm also not limited to the size of my prints.

If you still do, make sure to give yourself a cost estimate per photo based on the cost of paper and equipment. I came out better doing it through Ritz.

True! Plus my kids might go nuts and print lots of goofy stuff. I actually got an HP2610 which does everything including printing a few quick photos. But, I agree, it is more economical to order photos!

Anyhow, back to cameras! We'll have to make a point to come back here to report our likes / dislikes with our new cameras!

Edited by TrailGators
That will make all digital cameras smaller. Anyhow, I hope that takes a little while because I just bought a new camera!  B)

It will. They just issued the press release about them in August. Just a guess but you'll probably see the first model late next year.

Interesting, here is a good article discussing the new lens technology. The new ceramic lens will be about 20% smaller.

I considered a photoprinter and decided not to buy one. I can go to my grocery store or to Sam's and get 4x6 prints for .10 to .15 cents each.

If I did buy a photoprinter, a year from now it would be obsolete, or the replacement cartridge for it would cost $50 - $100 probably. I'd rather let the corporations take the loss on obsolete technology than doing it myself. I can always choose to have my photos developed at a place where they just recently upgraded their processing equipment.

Sony f828. Expensive but awesome. 8 megapixels. I have 2 little boys and take a lot of pictures of them. I bought an HP picture printer and print my own 8x10s and they look professional. Best money I ever spent. It is a bigger camera than most but I just carry it in my small back pack and don't even notice that it is there.

Ritz uses the same chemical process as film to make their photos, which means they are waterproof and last for a very long time in comparison to dye sublimination or inkjet. I'm also not limited to the size of my prints.

HP 2610: -True-to-life photo quality. "True-to-life photos resist fading longer than traditionally processed photos."

So it looks like you need to understand what you are getting. Obviously Ritz is providing high quality prints but many don't.

-The HP2510 cost per photo estimate per CNET: 85 copies of our high-resolution 8.5x11 test photo out of one set of ink cartridges. This works out to a very low 53 cents per page. If you're printing mostly 4x6 photos, your costs should be about half this. Therefore each 4x6 photo costs ~0.13 for ink and ~0.02 for the 4x6 portion of photo paper =~ 0.15/photo, which isn't bad! In my case our family will use this printer for mainly printing school assignments for the kids so I really don't have to amortize the cost of the printer into the photos because I needed the printer for another reason anyhow. I don't take enough photos to justify the cost of a dedicated photo printer.

So the photo printing costs are not that bad anymore. But to be honest it is so much easier just to upload photos to a Ritz, so I will probably go that route most of the time! :cool:

Edit: Sorry back to cameras! But this stuff all goes hand-in-hand!

Edited by TrailGators

I'll throw my vote in for the Canon A70. Best all-around camera for around $200 or less depending on what kind of deals you find.

While we're on the subject, what do you guys use for a camera bag or what do you use to protect your camera when you're out caching?

Thanks,

ngr00

Earlier this year I bought my first digital camera. I found they fell into two categories for me: (1) compact, full featured, 3x optical zoom; (2) SLR, full featured, interchangable lenses.

I ended up going with category (1) because I wanted my first digital camera to be easy to carry around -- size and weight mattered -- so I'd use it alot. I plan on buying a digital SLR for more serious photography work sometime in the future.

I ended up buying the Sony DSC-W1. I love it...

• Size and weight.
  • AA batteries and excellent battery life.
  • Shot-to-shot speed with a pro memory stick.
  • Many manual controls.
  • Macro mode.
  • Big bright LCD.
  • Tripod mount.
  • Very easy to use controls and menus.

A couple of other features it has that I'll never use (I'll use a real SLR for them) are: external flash capability, and Sony actually makes a couple of other lenses for it.

So far I haven't been disappointed.

Edited by Ferreter5
I'll throw my vote in for the Canon A70. Best all-around camera for around $200 or less depending on what kind of deals you find.

While we're on the subject, what do you guys use for a camera bag or what do you use to protect your camera when you're out caching?

Thanks,

ngr00

I use a holster type case with a beltloop. That way it is quick and easy to access the camera.

Yes, they are but I'd toss the 8MB, it is pretty much worthless nowadays! You can get a 512MB CF card here for $28 today! :angry:

Don't chuck the 8 meg card yet. It makes a good back up for events when you fill a card and need another hour's coverage, and its good for pics for special events that you need to really keep separate from your main stuff (kid's graduation, scouting award, etc). Put these on the 8 meg and you will never accidentally lose the pics when you scrub your normal card.

Agree, the price of CF cards is WAY lower and you can move up a lot in memory.

I took over my wife's Sony DSC-P71. We liked it so much (and I was using it for GeoCaching so much) that she went out and bought another one. They are discontinued now, but you can get a good deal over the internet if you do your homework. It is a 3MP camera, but the 6x digital zoom (3x optical zoom by 2x digital zoom) is far superior than anything you would be able to get witht the newer Sony cameras for the same price...go figure. The newer Sony's market a inferior zoom lens but make you believe you are purchasing a better (because it is a newer model) camer. We purchased a DSC-P73 thinking we were getting an upgrade, but the zoom lens just did not compare.

I have a sony dsc f828. I recommend nothing less than 8mp's

Nikon D70 or Canon Rebel are 6MP and would kick the pants off your sony.

I'm sorry I thought you said you like grainy pictures.

4MP will happily do an 8x10 at photo quality. We've got display shots hanging on a wall printed on A4 borderless, taken with a 3.2MP camera. Up close you can see noise, but from more than about 4 feet, it looks fine.

York photo and other online photo services will only do post processing on 5mp's or better.

Why would you want some other online photo service doing post processing? I'd rather have the control myself thanks.

Edited by ThePup
The HP2510 cost per photo estimate per CNET: 85 copies of our high-resolution 8.5x11 test photo out of one set of ink cartridges. This works out to a very low 53 cents per page. If you're printing mostly 4x6 photos, your costs should be about half this. Therefore each 4x6 photo costs ~0.13 for ink and ~0.02 for the 4x6 portion of photo paper =~ 0.15/photo, which isn't bad!

What kind of paper are you using that costs .02 each for the paper for a 4 x 6? Can't be photo paper. Here's what I use and there's a vast difference. Shouldn't your estimate be at least .20 plus the cost of the ink .13 or $.33 per 4 x 6?

Canon Price : $ 24.95

Photo Paper Pro (High Gloss) for Inkjet - 4x6" (A6) Borderless - 75 Sheets

Canon Price : $ 23.95

Photo Paper Plus (Gloss) for Inkjet - 4x6" (A6) Borderless - 120 Sheets

Canon Price : $ 19.95

Photo Paper Pro (High Gloss) for Inkjet - 8.5x11" (Letter) - 30 Sheets

edit=clarity

Edited by Alan2