Poison Oak Cachers

Ca Racetramp

After all these years, I too have gotten poison oak for the first time.
FIRST TIME! Wow, I thought everybody in SLO county has had poison oak! Cat - You must look site... banged up forehead & bumpy arms. Hope it gets better soon.

It's only on one leg though and mild, but my wife HAS REQUESTED that I sleep in the spare bedroom for now.)

Well, the bump and cuts are all gone and no sign they even happened. The poison oak is now quickly fading and doen't itch at all since I applied cortisone for two days.

Now, because of this I HAD to research poison oak on the net and learned that there are some myths believed by most people and so I shall stand up on this stump here [making sure there is no poison anything near it] and shatter a few myths.

Myth #1: Poison ivy rash is “contagious.”

Fact: The rash is a reaction to urushiol oil found in poison ivy, oak and sumac. The rash cannot pass from person to person, but urushiol can be spread by contact. By the time the rash appears, the urushiol oil has been absorbed into the skin or washed away. Therefore rubbing the rash won’t spread the oil to other parts of your body or to other people. But when the oil is on clothing, furniture, pets, or skin before the rash appears, the oil can rub off onto other parts of the body or onto other people. As a result of this secondary exposure, rashes can show up at strange times and places, leading people to believe that the initial rash is contagious. :lol:

So Jim, unless your wife objects to your scratchin' and itchin', you're out of the guest room and back in the bedroom.:unsure:

Myth #2: Scratching poison ivy blisters will spread the rash.

Fact: The rash is caused by the urushiol oil found in poison ivy, oak and sumac and is not spread by the fluid in the blisters. If you have the urushiol oil on your hands and you scratch your nose or wipe your forehead, you may spread the oil and hence the rash. Avoid excessive scratching and make sure your fingernails and hands are clean.

Myth #3: Once allergic, always allergic to poison ivy.

Fact: A person's sensitivity to urushiol changes over time, and even from season to season. People who were sensitive to poison ivy as children may not be allergic as adults and vice versa.

:unsure: So, now you have learned a little more about our namesake plant and a few myths related to it.

[Alan climbs off stump, steps on a sleeping 'possum, slips and falls head first into a boulder and gets another macrodermabrasion makeover.]

Oh, and one more very useful tip I learned. If you even suspect you have been exposed to poison oak, wash the exposed area off with water. The sooner the better. Some advice says to use plain water immediately until you can get somewhere to wash with soap and water.

Of course you want to wash the clothes that have been exposed to poison oak also. {A tip to the guys out there. Don't just throw your sweaty, poison oak brushed clothing into the laundry hamper unless you want your significant other to come down with a gorgeous red rash. } :unsure:

Hey POC folks.

It's probably time for The WilderNESSes to become official members of the POC.

How do we do it?

Also do we have an official webpage?

I think you just joined. :unsure:

We had kinda figured on some initiation rite that included a full moon, some poison oak leaves and a rattlesnake rattle dance while the rest of the group sang, The Happy Wanderer.

I love to go a-wandering,

Along the mountain track,

And as I go, I love to sing,

My knapsack on my back.

Chorus:

Val-deri,Val-dera,

Val-deri,

Val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

Val-deri,Val-dera.

My knapsack on my back.

But we could never get a quorum to vote on this. So I think that when you say you want to join, you just did.

If we ever get any riffraff in the club we'll just trip them when they go into a cave so they fall flat on their face. :unsure:

Oh, and yes we do have a website.

Poison Oak Cachers

We going to try to schedule the orienteering event. The last time I tried my had at that sport (6th grade) I ended up being hauled away on a stretcher :unsure:

Warren

Hey Warren, we can form some sort of subset to the Poison Oak Cachers. We could call ourselves the 'Oops, dang that smarts!' patrol.

:unsure:

So, since I have been on a group cache with other POC members - does that mean I don't get to sing my heartfelt rendition of the Happy Wanderer? I've been practicing and have even found a special outfit - what do you think? :unsure:

lederhosen.jpg

I'll be posting the event cache soon for the orienteering day. I'll see about reserving a group picnic area just in case we get a bunch of people.

Maybe in honor of geo-cats and OP we can get this guy to come to our next event.More than you need to know or see about poison oak.

NS

So, since I have been on a group cache with other POC members - does that mean I don't get to sing my heartfelt rendition of the Happy Wanderer? I've been practicing and have even found a special outfit - what do you think? :lol:

Of course you can sing your tune. I also have a beer stein and can dance the polka but don't expect one of funny German outfits. :P

:)

Darn stickers! I just went out and did a little bushwacking today and got lots of foxtails in my boots and socks. When we were hiking C'ishumu someone mentioned something you can wear on your boots to protect the laces and prevent junk from entering your boots but darned if I can remember the name of them. (No, not duct tape.) I did some searching online but can't find any reference to lace protectors or boot covers. What am I looking for?

Yeah, it was me. They're called "gaters." ($30) from hiking websites. Just froogle "gaters" and you'll find some. There's a strap that goes under your foot at the arch and then they're a small pant leg about 10-12 inches high.

By the way, I bought a hiking stick the other day thanks to you. Can't wait to put it to work on Pine Mountain.

OP

Watching the weather last night I realized the 85 degree weather predicted for inland SLO county would be perfect for a run on the Lockwood/Jolon caches. 10:00 a.m. the kids and I headed out. I thought I'd share my route as it worked out perfectly to get just about everything out there. With the exception of Tiki's movie one (I hadn't watched it yet) and a DNF on Warning Tank Crossing(does "needle in a HOT haystack" sound like fun after six hours of caching?).

We started out at Going Postal, then grabbed puzzle clues for A Small Lockwood Stump (Tree counting is not easy - lucky for me I had my Gylfie with me to do the counting and then I did a double-check). Did Grandpa Al's then grabbed clues for A Small Lockwood Stump on our way to Off the Beaten Path. (BTW don't try to get to Alice's Head by driving past the horse sanctuary. The road didn't go through.)

Came back to Jolon Road & went to the Mission to eat our picnic lunch and tour the place for a while. Picked up a FTF on The Mistress, then drove over to Alice's Head - (eeewww). Drove up and picked up Deadwood and Dutton Hotel. At Deadwood we saw our 4th barn owl of the day (we'd seen three in the cemetary earlier). On Jolon Road we kept a look out for the third clue on the puzzle cache and found it (whew - thanks to my sharp-eyed girl I knew it was the right place). Headed for the numbers on the A Small Lockwood Stump and grabbed a FTF on that one too. Up the dirt road to Two Valleys was a treat. A bit hazy but still delightful to enjoy the view of two valleys. I enjoyed seeing it how the pioneers in the 1830s saw it.

Back down into Lockwood and a try for Warning Tank Crossing with no luck today. Maybe I'll write Tiki for a more specific hint and hit that one up with the movie one on our way out to The Indians campground this Fall.

This week's prediction is for more "high 80s" - perfect for an area that's usually 105 - 110. Thanks Tiki Treasure for making the additional 150 miles on my car worth it.

OP

Gaters! Thanks for reminding me :) I've gone through 3 pairs of socks since C'ISHUMU so I think I better get a pair of gaters soon :) Yeah, the weather up there is unusually cool for this time of year. I went to Templeton on Saturday and it was not only cool, but we had to don sweaters by 7 p.m. OP, I explained geocaching to my Aunt and cousins and used some of your cache hides for examples. They seemed to think it was pretty cool :)

Gaters! Thanks for reminding me :lol: I've gone through 3 pairs of socks since C'ISHUMU so I think I better get a pair of gaters soon :rolleyes:

I just ordered a pair of XNation Sports.ankle gaiters for $10.22 w/ $5 shipping from Amazon. They seemed to be the cheapest and right for what I want. Most gaiters are for high boots, not hiking boots. I looked on eBay, my store of choice, but there wasn't much there and only from the UK.

Now I wil have most everything I need for geocaching. I figure I can spend up to $40 a month for geocaching because that's what I save by not going to the gym. I guess my next upgrade will be to a color GPSr like OP's. I am envious of her.

What model is it OP? So I can watch eBay for a good deal on one.

:o

Hi

I just added a topic in another forum but thought one of you might figure out what the heck this sign is.

What Is It? Unknown Warning Sign, Can anyone identify this sign?

Cats,

I have seen these signs on some of my restoration sites along SLO Creek. In those cases the signs marked an underground natural gas pipeline. I would just make sure you don't work in the area with a backhoe. <_<

NS

Hey anybody 'round here who's not yet found my "El Dorado Schoolhouse" cache (um, that'd be all of you except Teeoff2) I've had a request by the Bare Bear TB owner that I check on 'im and make sure he's there.

As school starts next Wednesday and I've got to do some clothes shopping for the kids this weekend, I'm sending out an APB to request any cachers doing the Pozo loop soon to please stop by "GCPJ7B" to grab the naked fellow and move him along. Only if you're headed that way, otherwise I'll make a trip next, next weekend.

Thanks, OP

Did anybody see the article and picture in the Santa Maria Times on Tuesday, Aug 30, 05 about the BOMB SCARE that was reallly a sound recorder hidden in the bushes? Except for the wires, it looks like it could be a cache container!! :D I guess BooBooBee already had one of her caches mistaken for a bomb back in April! It just so happens, that I know and have done business with the sound engineer who was hired by the Fairpark to hide several of these bombs, ur, I mean caches, uh, I mean sound recorders! :D

BTW, I went to OP's El Dorado and retreived the TB Bare Bear and put it in the Christmas Cache by Ave Paloma.

I hope that lots of Poison Oak Cachers and their friends are coming to the Orienteering Event on Sept 17. :P

I heard that news report and started laughing, thinking to myself, I bet you that's a geocache!! Hello, here is my first post to the forum. I would so love to come to the orienteering day so I could finally become an official member of the POC, but we will be in Vegas for a softball tournament :lol: I will wait for the next event and hope that I can make it then. Until then, I just planted 3 caches today which are awaiting approval, so come have some fun up in the "poc" as we like to call Lompoc occasionally!

Edited by Kurlie

GC-O Event Update

Last Sunday Pointsaljim and I set the orienteering course at El Chorro regional Park. I'll be working on the maps over the next week or so, adding some detail to a blown-up USGS topo quad as well as the actual orienteering points. The maps will be available the morning of the event and will be used for the brief training as well as the course.

Knowing how POC'ers like to hike, the course is a hike. We walked 4 miles setting the course, but there are choices to make on routes that can make it shorter or longer (but not by much). The hike was not too strenuous though, just one very short section is steep. There are ten control points to find. It took us about 1 hour and 45 minutes of moving time to set the course. It is my thought that if one does well at navigating that they could cover the course faster than we did as we stopped along the way to check things out, look at route variations, and make map notations and waypoints for additional map detail. It will probably be possible to use a subset of the points for a shorter course for those not wanting to do a longer hike but we wanted a reasonable challenge for those interested.

The course will require about equal parts map reading and compass work. There are a few challenges in there but it is still a basic course. All the challenges will be addressed in the brief lesson before you set out, so pay attention! Each marker in the field will have a unique punch so you can prove that you were there. The markers are not hidden, but you need to be reasonably close to see them. (We wanted to retain part of the allure of geocaching).

In addition to a smile and a compass, bring along a pencil with eraser (and spare) and a clipboard or something to mount maps on for drawing on them. I used a piece of cardboard and some clips - it's lightwight and sufficient so you don't need to buy a clipboard. This will help in the field.

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know. PSJim and I will confirm the course the day before and set the official markers.

Hope a bunch of you can make it.

NS

Now Boo, you can't do everything with your palm pilot :o

You can orienteer without a pencil and clipboard, those are just recommendations. It is a useful trick to mark direct routes and additional north lines on your map. If you want to travel light you can leave them behind. I usually bring the pencil anyway in case I meet girls on the trail :lol:

Hey Naturesprite,

What went wrong on Sunday? We didn't meet any girls! (And we had all kinds of writing instruments, paper, AND (4) hands).

I don't know man, it must have been you :D

Hey, I just thought of another activity for the 17th. Geocachers can have their gps or geoschwag autographed by Geo Cats. He is our local celeb now that his picture is in this week's New Times. The article is good too, no mention of bombs or knives! Glad they found Alan instead of Boo Boo Bee :D If you look close enough I think you can still see a lump on Alan's head.

Cats, you did a great job of representing geocaching in a positive light. Thanks for making us sound respectable :D

He is our local celeb now that his picture is in this week's New Times. The article is good too, no mention of bombs or knives! Glad they found Alan instead of Boo Boo Bee  :D If you look close enough I think you can still see a lump on Alan's head.

Cats, you did a great job of representing geocaching in a positive light. Thanks for making us sound respectable  :D

:D Thanks, I just picked up the Newtimes a few minutes ago and saw the article was finally published. I took John out in the springtime and it took this long for some reason. I guess it's not groundbreaking, earthshattering news to the muggle community. So any bumps you see are my normal lumpiness, not Ishumu induced.

As for making us look respectable, I concentrated on the few sane, clean, and well spoken geocachers I know and tried not to mention the vast majority of us. Whenever the topic of bombs, cutting fences or driving FWD vehicles over petunia beds came up I quickly pointed out the beauty all around us and the healthy exercise we were getting.

I am waiting until another outing to show John how to avoid punji sticks, booby traps, deadfalls and other various fun geocaching puzzles. As he was a muggle I just showed him how to avoid poison oak by closing his eyes and pushing through with bare hands and face. :D

Geocats,

I just read the article in New Times. Sounds like you WOWED the writer with your geocaching skills :D The only thing is, he didn't use the geocaching name that we all know you by, soooo how do we really know it was you ?:D (just kidding!) Great article and look forward to seeing you at the Orienteering Event.

No one has posted anything here for a few days so I will, just to keep the conversation going. Is anyone looking forward to this weekend like I am? How many of us are coming, any idea?

:huh:

BTW, anybody in the market for a good used GARMIN LEGEND GPS? I should have my Garmin GPSMAP 60CS COLOR by the weekend and will be selling the Legend. Nothing wrong with it, just had a hankering for the 60CS after checking out Oreopony's unit.

I will be asking $125 for it.

:huh:

:D Many thanks to Naturesprite, Pointsaljim and Oreopony for putting together the orienteering get together! Much fun was had by all. Many of us wanted to learn about orienteering and this was an excellent introduction.

Now we need to plan something, maybe for in the spring. I asked informally at the meet if some of the Poison Oak cachers liked to camp. In the few I asked, it looks like most do. I would like to make a suggestion that we plan a campout in the north county coastal area, say San Simeon or Montana de Oro. I know San Simeon State Park would be a great spot and from there we could do some geocaching in the Big Sur area or cross over to Hunter Liggett or do site seeing or just lay about on the beach. Others might want to visit Hearst Castle, especially if they've never visited it. Also at some times of the year the elephant seals are on some of the local beaches and are a big hit with the tourists.

What do you think?

Hey All,

Sounds like the picnic was a lot of fun. I was on the night shift so I couldn't make it. :rolleyes: As some of you know, I work a rotating shift. I really like the idea for a campout. When it comes time to nail down a date, I would like to toss in a few that might work on one of my weekends off. I have 2 per month. I don't ecpect everyone to work around my schedule but I will watch the board and see.

Ca Racetramp on GC.com

He is our local celeb now that his picture is in this week's New Times. The article is good too, no mention of bombs or knives! Glad they found Alan instead of Boo Boo Bee :) If you look close enough I think you can still see a lump on Alan's head.

Well, I don't know what's going on with the forums, but somehow I failed to get a note letting me know anyone posted :ph34r: ...so...I didn't hear about Geo_Cats' 15-minutes of fame (depending upon your reading speed) until the issue was OFF the racks. I'd love to read it...any chance someone has one they can loan me? The NewTimes website only carries their cover stories.

And, come now Natursprite...you don't think it would've bene a good idea for ME to take the reporter our in my Jeep, over some trails, through some creeks, and banging up the inclines to show him my "N"ot a Bomb cache? :laughing:

I would like to make a suggestion that we plan a campout in the north county coastal area, say San Simeon or Montana de Oro.

SNIP

What do you think?

We're always up for camping and the north coast sounds great.

The elephant seals are great fun to watch, but they peak in February and it's typically way too wet and cold for most campers. But, hey, how 'core do you want to get?

It'd be nice if "we" coudl pick a campground that had enough room for all of us. I know it's sometimes difficult to book a site on that popular stretch of coast. For the sake of ease, Montana de Oro may work better.

Either way, we're up for it! (This time, OP, you get the kids!) :)

Can you use a medium sized motor home at Montana de Oro?

Googled it, DUH!!!

Camping: Fifty campsites are situated along the south side of the creek behind the Ranch House. The sites are suitable for tents, trailers, or motor homes up to 24 feet in length. Tables and woodstoves are provided. Primitive toilets are located nearby, but there are no showers or dump stations. Some people may prefer the walk-in environmental campsites, which are more secluded and perhaps more peaceful, but should not be surprised to wake up to the yapping of coyotes or the rustling of other nighttime creatures. Montana De Oro Info

Both campgrounds at Montana de Oro or San Simeon would hold motorhomes, campers, tents. Rikki & I have camped at MdO and this summer drove through SS State Pk. We marked on a map of the campground which spots we thought were best.

MdO and SS are both open to first come, first served after the first of Oct. So either one would work. Whichever one we decide on someone could go early and reserve spots for the others.

So if other POCers want to do a campout, and it sounds like enough of us are interested we need to do a rough poll on where and when.

We were talking about a campout with geocache members and families. Anyone up for it on either of the last 2 weekends of October, 22-23 or 29-30?

I drove through San Simeon SP on Thursday to check out the best spots and it is first come first served so one party could come and reserve spots for the others coming so we could have nearby spots. I found the consecutive even spots from 88 to 92, odd numbered 93-101, even 102-106 or even 62-68, all would be good camping spots with good shade, privacy and accessability to the beach and all.

Or if most would prefer Montana de Oro, that would be to our liking also.

San Simeon SP

What say, anyone interested?