Poison Oak Cachers

Ca Racetramp

Today Geocats came into the office that I work at to fix the copiers and printers....it seems the geocaches that I've been hiding in the copiers and printers is making them not work right :lol:

I've been working so hard lately. My boss has been a slave driver and didn't even let me off for my birthday last Monday. I wanted to do a hike of some sort but nooooo, I had to work. ;)

(That's the trouble with working for yourself, you have a a------ for a boss.)

So today, Saturday, I took the time to hike Pine Mountain. I did a leisurely 2 hour walk doing some exploring of trails I have passed by before and getting reaquainted with my mountain. (I do live on it's lower slope.) It was wonderful. The day was glorious and the views grand. Maybe I'll put another cache on it. It has plenty of room for more caches.

We're going to be camping at a music get together near Cerro Alto campgrounds March 9-11. Anyone up for a hike up to Hikerbees and Vista Cerro Alto that Saturday or Sunday?

Hello from Ventura County!

Hey, you folks up in SLO and northern SB Counties do a great job, and every time we come up your way, we find more great caches to find. I (Jim; Sharon's the other half of the team) was up that way yesterday, and found a couple of handfuls of caches, with only two DNFs, both of which were due to muggles being too close and not moving :(

A couple of questions:

1) We have been thinking of doing the Lowe Mountain hike for a while. Apparently there are only two caches on the trail: a physical and an Earthcache. If we brought along a cache to hide, would anyone be willing to "babysit" it for us? That is about 15 miles too far to satisfy the 100 mile radius requirement, so we would need a local person to check on it if a problem is reported. We go through there often enough that we'd be able to do most of the maintenance ourselves, but Rules Are Rules <_<

2) Someone should hide a cache at the Santa Margarita P&R, just off the 101. That spot is just crying for a nice hyper-camo small or micro, and it might be able to handle a larger one.

Keep up the great work!

chaosmanor

1) We have been thinking of doing the Lowe Mountain hike for a while. Apparently there are only two caches on the trail: a physical and an Earthcache. If we brought along a cache to hide, would anyone be willing to "babysit" it for us? That is about 15 miles too far to satisfy the 100 mile radius requirement, so we would need a local person to check on it if a problem is reported. We go through there often enough that we'd be able to do most of the maintenance ourselves, but Rules Are Rules :(

2) Someone should hide a cache at the Santa Margarita P&R, just off the 101. That spot is just crying for a nice hyper-camo small or micro, and it might be able to handle a larger one.

Keep up the great work!

chaosmanor

Seeing both Lowe Mountain caches are ours, we would be glad to babysit another up there. And when you plan to do your hike, let me know, maybe I'll hike it with you.

1) We have been thinking of doing the Lowe Mountain hike for a while. Apparently there are only two caches on the trail: a physical and an Earthcache. If we brought along a cache to hide, would anyone be willing to "babysit" it for us? ...

Seeing both Lowe Mountain caches are ours, we would be glad to babysit another up there. And when you plan to do your hike, let me know, maybe I'll hike it with you.

Sounds good! No idea when this might be - most weekends in March are already booked, and then there's Easter... - but if we don't do it by mid-June, it won't be until late October! Thanx!

1) We have been thinking of doing the Lowe Mountain hike for a while. Apparently there are only two caches on the trail: a physical and an Earthcache. If we brought along a cache to hide, would anyone be willing to "babysit" it for us? ...

Sounds good! No idea when this might be - most weekends in March are already booked, and then there's Easter... - but if we don't do it by mid-June, it won't be until late October! Thanx!

It looks like I will be in Atascedero Easter weekend. If I can get out of here Friday afternoon, I may be available for Saturday. (not that I am inviting myself along or anything :P )

I went to Big Sur cachin' on the weekend of Feb 24 and got totally whipped and beat doing the Genesis Cache, (Pico Blanco Mountain). I actually had to give up and turn around about 500 vertical ft. from the top because of bad weather and the fact that the final 1800 vert feet is a scramble up a hillside with no trail to follow. All together I did 16.4 miles/4,900 ft. of elev gain. I still want to go back and do an earlier start. (I didn't start until 10:15 A.M.) If there are any hardcore cachers interested, let me know.

Geocats, trying to make time to squeeze in some cachin' at Cerro Alto next weekend, but have some other commitments, so probably won't be able to make it.

I'm up for doing the East Cuesta Ridge Hike when Chasomaur hides their cache.

Hey, you folks up in SLO and northern SB Counties do a great job, and every time we come up your way, we find more great caches to find. I (Jim; Sharon's the other half of the team) was up that way yesterday, and found a couple of handfuls of caches, with only two DNFs, both of which were due to muggles being too close and not moving :anibad:

A couple of questions:

1) We have been thinking of doing the Lowe Mountain hike for a while. Apparently there are only two caches on the trail: a physical and an Earthcache. If we brought along a cache to hide, would anyone be willing to "babysit" it for us? That is about 15 miles too far to satisfy the 100 mile radius requirement, so we would need a local person to check on it if a problem is reported. We go through there often enough that we'd be able to do most of the maintenance ourselves, but Rules Are Rules :D

Keep up the great work!

chaosmanor

Santa Margarita P&R??? That sounds like an idea! I'll try to do one next Saturday. I, also, would be up for the East Cuesta Ridge thing, providing it isn't too hard...

Santa Margarita P&R??? That sounds like an idea! I'll try to do one next Saturday. I, also, would be up for the East Cuesta Ridge thing, providing it isn't too hard...

It's not a difficult hike. I did it on a mountain bike and found it to be fairly good riding, gravel road all the way.

Looks like we've got a good group to do Lowe Mountain if we can find a day to do it.

My availability has just been limited to Saturday after about 1:00.

The days will be longer, so couldn't we accomodate you? Can't we meet at Lowe Mountain after 1:00, so that you can join us? what do the others think about this?

By the way, where are we meeting for the Lowe Mountain Hike (or bike)? I've never been on this trail, so I need some general directions. Are we going to hike or bike? I'm up for either. I'm looking forward to meeting you all for the first time. :huh:

1:00 pm is fine with my schedule and bicycle is my preferred mode of travel. A question for those interested in going - do we all have mountain bikes?

Here is a Google Earth image of the top of Cuesta Grade. If you are heading southbound from north county, you should go down about half way or all the way to the bottom to where there is a left-turn lane to flip a U to get back to the northbound lane at the top where you can pull out and drive up the hill to the right. Be sure to park off the pavement or they'll tow your truck - firelane needs to stay open.

414874951_59398e2ba9_o.jpg

Edited by Oreo Pony

1:00 pm is fine with my schedule and bicycle is my preferred mode of travel. A question for those interested in going - do we all have mountain bikes?

I have a mountain bike. I'm a bit out of shape, but that's no excuse, I'll still try it. Thanks for locating this for me!

Hey, you folks up in SLO and northern SB Counties do a great job, and every time we come up your way, we find more great caches to find. I (Jim; Sharon's the other half of the team) was up that way yesterday, and found a couple of handfuls of caches, with only two DNFs, both of which were due to muggles being too close and not moving :D

A couple of questions:

1) We have been thinking of doing the Lowe Mountain hike for a while. Apparently there are only two caches on the trail: a physical and an Earthcache. If we brought along a cache to hide, would anyone be willing to "babysit" it for us? That is about 15 miles too far to satisfy the 100 mile radius requirement, so we would need a local person to check on it if a problem is reported. We go through there often enough that we'd be able to do most of the maintenance ourselves, but Rules Are Rules :angry:

Keep up the great work!

chaosmanor

Well, someone else is gonna have to hide this one! Gas prices are killing me right now and have no extra to do this...

How long will this take?

I will be just a couple miles down the road, and if it doesn't take too long, I may be able to get a pass. :laughing:

edit: fat fingers

It's about 4 miles in on a decent road. I figure round trip of 2.5 to 3.5 hours without working up a big sweat.

:laughing: I just went back through these messages and see that Chaosmanor who started this thread has not said that he/she is coming. :laughing:

So maybe we'd better bring our own cache to place in case he/she/they are a no show. Got any good ones lurking in your garage? Or I could place the one I showed you today.

I took the liberty of contacting those who expressed an interest in going and here's the breakdown of folks we'll look for:

chaosmanor (maybe)

Geo_Cats (yes)

Moosemob (yes)

Oreo Pony (yes)

SLO Trekker (can't make this one)

pointsaljim (yes)

Shuckymomo (can't make this one)

slmslo (yes)

If others want to hike with us, just meet us at 1 p.m. at the top of the Northbound Cuesta Grade pullout.

Well, how did it go today y'all? I really wished I could have joined you on this one.

I was unable to hike with the group as my dear Grandmother passed away on Saturday morning.

Just checking in myself to see how it went. No one has logged High Lowe or the Morros Earthcache. Sure hope they made it okay and aren't stuck on a Lowe Mountain. :unsure: (never noticed that oxymoron before)

I'll call one of them this afternoon if they haven't replied here by then.

Well, how did it go today y'all? I really wished I could have joined you on this one.

I was unable to hike with the group as my dear Grandmother passed away on Saturday morning.

Just checking in myself to see how it went. No one has logged High Lowe or the Morros Earthcache. Sure hope they made it okay and aren't stuck on a Lowe Mountain. :unsure: (never noticed that oxymoron before)

I'll call one of them this afternoon if they haven't replied here by then.

I met GC & Jim at the trailhead. GC told us of your loss. Please accept our condolences.

GC & Jim left for the hike and I returned to family. GC hasn't logged in since Saturday, but since Jim has logged in I am assuming they made it back to their rigs.

It was good meeting a couple folks there. Perhaps I will have a chance to meet more during my next trip (first week of May?)

Well, it was not a hoard of hikers as we figured it might turn out. It was a brief meet and greet with Moose mob and then Jim, Riley and I set off for a fun afternoon hike. It was a gorgeous day with a bit of marine layer over by the Pacific so the ocean was not always in view but most of the Morros were.

Riley started out the hike by running in front of us, behind us, exploring up and down, hither and thither but after a bit she got pooped and stayed near. Jim brings about 3-4 bottles of water for her and 1 for himself.

After about a leisurely 2.5 hour hike to the caches we took a short snack break and then hiked about 1.75 hours back. (Downhill sure makes it easier.)

Riley was sure glad to see the cars while Jim and I were just happily tired and looked forward to getting home, having a cold one and a hot shower.

All in all another fantastic day in paradise. Jim and I agree, that this is the best area in the world to live in.

Well, it was not a hoard of hikers as we figured it might turn out. It was a brief meet and greet with Moose mob and then Jim, Riley and I set off for a fun afternoon hike. It was a gorgeous day with a bit of marine layer over by the Pacific so the ocean was not always in view but most of the Morros were.

Riley started out the hike by running in front of us, behind us, exploring up and down, hither and thither but after a bit she got pooped and stayed near. Jim brings about 3-4 bottles of water for her and 1 for himself.

After about a leisurely 2.5 hour hike to the caches we took a short snack break and then hiked about 1.75 hours back. (Downhill sure makes it easier.)

Riley was sure glad to see the cars while Jim and I were just happily tired and looked forward to getting home, having a cold one and a hot shower.

All in all another fantastic day in paradise. Jim and I agree, that this is the best area in the world to live in.

I'm sure sorry I missed you all. I got there about 1:15 and I didn't see anyone who looked like geocachers (they have a certain look, you know :laughing: ) . I knew that by being late there was a good chance of missing out. Next time I'll manage my time better.

Friday the 13th wasn't a bad day for me but the Friday before was not the best, let me tell you. I got done with my work early on Friday and so decided to walk Reservoir Canyon trail to check where to place a cache or two for an upcoming OLLI class that Oreopony is teaching and I am helping out. I had a good hike. Did a bit of exploring and a lot of dodging poison oak. (We'll have to inform the students about the heavy growth of p.o. all along the trail.)

I found a great spot for a cache and placed it, being sure to take a bunch of waypoints to average.

After hiking out I met a guy at the trailhead who is a mushroom harvester. He pays a percentage to the farmers land that he harvests and watches out for poachers. I guess at the price these mushrooms fetch that poaching is an ever present problem. Anyway, after yakking for half an hour or so I had to get home and zoomed on out of there. Only when I got home did I find that I had lost my GPSr! :laughing:

I drove back and explored the trailhead by flashlight. (Bothering some smoochers with my searching.) But the Garmin 60CS was gone. I had left it on top of my cruiser and it had to have fallen off right there when I turned around. I went back in the daylight also but found nada. I placed a lost ad in the TT but no calls. :rolleyes:

So, after a bit of research I found that Garmin has discontinued the 60CS and sells the 60CSX but I don't need the extra capabilities so I bid on a few on ebay and today got a brand new 60CS for $225.

So soon I will have my GPSr loaded and ready to rock once again. :rolleyes:

I drove back and explored the trailhead by flashlight. (Bothering some smoochers with my searching.) But the Garmin 60CS was gone. I had left it on top of my cruiser and it had to have fallen off right there when I turned around. I went back in the daylight also but found nada. I placed a lost ad in the TT but no calls. :rolleyes:

MY worst nightmare! I'm so sorry to hear that, A. I've been in situations like this too and basically my heart rate goes soaring. (Is that healthy like aerobic exercise is? :laughing: ) I've been fortunate, though and always found mine.

So, after a bit of research I found that Garmin has discontinued the 60CS and sells the 60CSX but I don't need the extra capabilities so I bid on a few on ebay and today got a brand new 60CS for $225.

So soon I will have my GPSr loaded and ready to rock once again. :rolleyes:

$225! Kewl! <_<

BTW, with all the smart cachers in this forum maybe someone can answer a question. I want to Google Earth a .loc file but can't see how to load it in to GE. The GE FAQs tell you how to load from your GPSr but I want to look at a .loc file from my PC. Any ideas?

Save the loc file in a convenient location on your computer like your desktop. Open Google Earth, go to File>Open>click on desktop>change "Files of Type:" to Gps (*.gps *.loc) then select your loc file and click the Open button.