Sell Me A Leatherman Multitool

AuntieWeasel

I wasn't sure if this was off-topic enough for the off-topic forum or topical enough for geocaching topics. I decided other newbies might like to hear the answer, so I put it here. Mods may do what mods do when mods disagree.

So! One of the things I asked Sandy Claws for this year was a Leatherman Multitool (after trying to pull one too many wodges of paper out of a micro with my fingers). Sandy Claws took one look at the price of them and swallowed his tongue. Upon revival, he said he didn't think they looked any different from a good-sized Swiss Army Knife and didn't know what all the fuss was about. I told him they were supposed to be very good at, uh...being used one-handed or something. Which sounded weak, even to me.

Well, true believers? What makes a multi-tool worth it? What features make them particularly useful to cachers, and what model has the most of those features? I've never used one before, so I truly don't know. I've seen the topic come up here before, so a pointer to a good thread would be sufficient.

C'mon, help me out, we're talking Christmas present here...

I have several multi tools and several Swiss Army knives. I find the knives to be more useful. The advantage of the multi tool is in the pliers.

Other than that, you have to decide what features are important to you. Need to open an ocassional bottle of wine? Make sure it has a cork screw. You like to eat canned sardines, or tuna while hiking, look for a fork. Smoke a pipe? Then the pipe reamer is a good thing to have. You like to have well groomed nails? Look for one with a nail file. Are you a tinkerer? Make sure your choice has a good assortment of screwdrivers. Do you camp and need to open an ocassional can of beans? Make sure it has a can opener. If you need to open a bottle of Sam Adams from time to time, look for a bottle opener. Scissors are another item I find to be very useful, but you may not.

As far as brand, Leatherman and Gerber are both pretty good.

I just bought a Leatherman Wave this weekend. I paid, um, way too much for a multi-tool. On the shelf next to the Leatherman was a no-name knock off for, um, a LOT less. But it looked cheap. The last thing you want in a tool is poor quality steel and bad ergonomics.

This is my second Leatherman. I got the first one from Sandy Clause about 12 years ago. I still works well (except for my having broken the tip off of the knife blade--note, the knife is not a screw driver; the screw driver is the screw driver).

I am not one wowed by name brands or givn to extravagance, but when it comes to tools, the extra money is usually worth it.

Just my $1.87 (inflation there too, you know).

Tell him it’s endorsed by Criminal.

The major difference is the squeezers, the swiss army knife doesn’t have them. There’s all manner of things that need squeezing when you’re geocaching, and a good set of squeezers can do many things. The screw turners on the Leatherman are much stronger than the ones on a SAK, especially when you’re not using it to turn screws. The newer Leathermans have tools that lock open, far safer than the SAK.

Edited by Criminal

Multi-tools are a handy 'gadget.' The pliars aren't as good as a real set of pliars from Sears. The knife blade is inferior to a quality hunting knife. The screwdrives are darn-near useless compared to a set of real screwdrivers. etc., etc.

Never-the-less, if SandyClaws loves you, he'll buy you whatever gadget you want. Pesonally, I'd ask SandyClaws for the SOG with the gear-driven pliars. If you're going to ask for a gadget, make it the most 'gadgety' gadget you can find!

Bob

I still works well (except for my having broken the tip off of the knife blade--note, the knife is not a screw driver; the screw driver is the screw driver).

Did you try to get it replaced? Leathermans have a lifetime warrenty. A coworker of mine broke the tip off of the knife on her supertool several years ago. I think she sent it to them and they replaced it for her.

I have a basic Leatherman which I use at work all the time, mostly the knife, pliers, and the screwdrivers. I agree that a real screwdriver or pliers work better, but for a quick job, it saves a trip to the toolbox.

I've been carrying a standard Leatherman for about 7 or 8 years. Wifey bought it for me for Christmas one year. It's still as good today as it was the day I got it....and I am NOT easy on it. I use it EVERY SINGLE DAY. If I didn't have it I would be TOTALLY LOST!! If I lost it tomorrow.... and a new one was $100, I'd spend it in a heartbeat. Mine has saved me, and other people I was with a lot of time and struggling. It's not as good as having a toolbox full of quality tools, but it's the next best thing.

By the time you get into the price of a Swiss Army knife with a pair of pliers you will have passed the price of a basic leatherman tool, and the pliers in the Swiss Army are not even close to the quaity of the pliers in a swiss army knife. Spend a little more and you can get a leatherman tool with tools and blades that lock open, With the exception of a few Swiss Army knives for the most part do not have locking blades. Locking blades are a very nice safety feature. I have an old leatherman tool which is no longer made will all locking blades. The leatherman tools also have better screw drivers and saw blades.

I have to endorse the Leatherman. When I worked in the fire service I carried one on my belt and used it constantly. Once I used it to cut double strand barb wire in an emergency. (Not the proper tool for the job!) The wire cutters did cut the barb wire, but the cutters got deformed in the process. I wrote a short note to Leatherman and sent the tool in. Within two weeks I had a brand new leatherman back- no charge. Great tool, excellent customer service.

It doesn't need to be a Leatherman. WalMart sells generic multitools for $10 or less. They aren't as pretty, and maybe not as reliable, but for pulling logs out of micro caches you don't have to have top quality. Just ask Sandy to look at what they have at Wally World, or Target, or the local dollar store. I have a very small cheapie that I bought from Mr Walton that's only about 1.5" long, which I carry in my pocket. It has needle-nosed pliers that work for pulling small caches, as well as lots of other tools that I use for quick things. I also have a Gerber multi-tool that I carry on my belt at work, for opening dzus fasteners on helicopters and lots of other stuff. I almost never use the knife blade on either of these, because when I need a knife I want a knife, and I always carry a real knife. None of the tools on a multi-tool work as well as a dedicated tool, but I couldn't keep up with all those tools separately.

Some of the points raised about mult-tools are valid, but ....... when it comes to the Leatherman, there's a difference.

Leatherman uses the best available materials for their tools. The steel is excellent, especially where the knife blades are concerned and keep a good edge for an appreciable length of time. Different grades of steel are used for the different tools in the unit, each selected for its particular task.

Added to that - buying a Leatherman is a once-off investment. The warranty covers ALL problems with the tool, whether a broken blade or loose hinges etc.

I carry mine at all times, in a carry case on my belt. I use it daily, whether caching or not.

I appreciate that the implements in a multi-tool are probably not as good as specific tools, but who wants to carry a completely equipped tool-box with them in the middle of nowhere while looking for a cache?

Maintenance is easy - fling it in the dishwasher every so often - and lightly lubricate.

I use a Lansky sharpener to keep the blades honed.

I've had mine for about 5 years now - no problems. Highly recommended.

Note: I am not a salesman for Leatherman! Don't work for them, have nothing to do with them, in fact - just an extremely impressed and satisfied customer.

I MUST change this keyboard - it doesn't know how to spell

Edited by Azaruk

I'll second that. I always have my leatherman Wave with me caching. and a few others at home. All of them came from Sandy Claws, man I bet his bag is heavy. I've had the cheap ones to and they are fine for pulling logs from micros or whatever, but the second you have to twist or cut a wire they get all bent up. Yay for quality products!

The tool at Walmart is a piece of junk made out low quality steel.

One thing that leatherman does is use the correct steel treated for the correct hardness for each tool. the tools are made with tool steel, the knife blades are made with the proper steel for a cutting edge.

As far as the statement, "when I need a knife I use a real knife"

The Leatherman, Gerber, Sog and other high quality multi tools do have real knife blades that will hold an edge, unlike some of the garbage you find in Walmart and Target type stores.

The cheap tools do use cheap steel, but if you're not going to stress the steel that much, then it doesn't make a lot of difference. IMO it's not worth paying a lot of money for something that will be used only occasionally, with light use at that. For what Auntie is proposing, a cheap tool will get the job done.

I used to own a Leatherman, until it grew legs and walked away, and now own a Gerber, but the knife blade just isn't very useful. It's not the quality of the blade, it's the ergonomics - it's hard to use the blade the way it's mounted in the tool. It's better than nothing, but I far prefer a dedicated knife.

In my dealings with multi-tools the leatherman is by far superior for all the reasons listed above. With the el-cheapo's the joints get loose and the next thing you know you have tools opening themselves and falling out all the time, not to mention when you really crank down on the pliars the whole thing bends and warps. You can buy a leatherman juice cheap. Although they are slightly smaller they are still a leatherman. I have a leatherman wave I bought 4 years ago. I use it everyday. I am probably going to by a charge xti because of the better screwdriver attachments. My leatherman is my most used tool in the house. You can't go wrong. Tell Santy Claus to read our posts.

I lug a Leatherman Wave with me where ever I go. It's on my belt when caching. It's in my "possibles" bag (read Man Purse) when it's not on my belt. I have "real" tools at my desposal at all times at work, but in my office at home I'll more likely that not use the LW than go to the garage and get a single purpose tool. I've worked on all manner of things with the LW. I've even used the saw in the field because there was the need.

I got a cheap multi-tool for Christmas once--it was from a child, it was the thought. There is a major difference. It is just about as useful in an emergency, but a world of difference in fit, finish, and versatility.

I like Leathermans so much I've put a P4 Squirt on my keychain--and I'm the type of person that likes a light keychain. I thought it was useful enough to have it in my pocket at all times.

While the P4 can't hold a candle to the Wave, the Wave is no good if it's not at hand.

I'm the type of person that will judge a product on usefullness, price, and longevity before I buy. Some things I try to buy the best because of the longevity. Somethings I will buy the cheapest. Vacuum cleaners come to mind on buying cheap. By the time you get a Kirby or a Rainbow paid off, the technology of the cheap $100 model are far superior. You can keep buying them over and over for the price of a Kirby. We just threw away a Kirby because it was so old that the parts were no longer available at a reasonable price, and this was on the advise of the Kirby repairman!

OTOH, there are things that we buy on the high end because they last a long time and are not likely to get out of date. The Leatherman Wave was one such item. Granted there is an upgraded version of the Wave, but it does appear that they do listen to users and have made some upgrades. Even given that, the present Wave will not become obsolete.

There might be the arguement that many a multitool is thrown in the drawer and forgotten.

My advise, buy a cheap knockoff just to see how useful they are to you. If you find that you do use it a lot and then you have more ammunition for an upgrade. As a bonus, after using the cheap knock-off you'll appreciate a quality tool that much more.

EDIT:

That was the plan
Opps! Post edited to reflect this. Edited by CoyoteRed

I've been carring a Leatherman Supertool for a number of years now, I would be lost without it. A couple of years ago I stopped by the Leatherman plant in Portland. Great customer service, they traded my damaged unit for a new one, I bought a nylon sheath that will also hold a mini mag light and they also gave me a plant tour to boot :o The highlight of my 2 month trip when work sent me for what was to be a 2 to 3 week trip (my last trip was to be for 1 to 2 weeks, spent a month in Ottawa, had a great time caching with a rental car and work laptop)

Edited by Car37&Holly

I have a leatherman wave and love it. If price is an issue, do what I do on just about everything I buy that might be an expensive purchase....Check ebay. You'll be surprised at some of the deals you can get on NEW items. I have an ebay store and although I don't sell leatherman's, I do sell other items at much discounted prices to stay competitive with other sellers. Hope that helps!

The Leatherman is by far the best value. It's well made and has a great warranty. I have an old one and a top of the line Swiss with all the toots and bells. I carry the Swiss and keep the Leatherman nearby. I've learned not to wear an empty holster or case when going through airports or government buildings. They get all glassy-eyed and want to know what it's hidden up.

SOG has factory seconds here:

SOG 2nds

For about the same price as a cheap Leatherman, you can have a ~really~ nice ParaTool. And if you're buying a knife to carry and use (vs. collecting, accumulating, or hoarding) the "seconds" mark won't make a bit of difference. You can also e-mail or call to check the availability of other models.

-Bob

I have a leatherman that I have carried with me for the last 8 yrs. I don't use the leather pouch, just slide it in my front pocket. I liked it so much that I bought another one to add to my motorcycle tool kit and I bought a micra for my wife's key chain (the scissors work great to cut off straws on kids drinks, at resteraunts why do they give you a full size straw that sticks 4" out of a kids cup). Recently, as a gift for being in a friend's wedding, I was giving a nice SAK, carried it for about two weeks and then threw it in the drawer and went back to carrying the leatherman. Knife does hold an edge nice for I only remember sharpening it a few times over the last 8 or so years.

Sell Me A Leatherman Multitool, I need some evangelism, please

Well once you buy, you too can be one of the IN people :)

Actually, I really liked CR's suggestion about carrying something cheap for a little while to see how it works for you. Then you can either decide you forget to take it with you and it can't you if its at home, in the car, etc. Or that it shouldn't have broken that easy and you need something different.

I used to carry the cheap ones, but got sick of them after having a second pair of 'pliers' fail on me. Differen't brands etc, though I think one was 'all trades' branded and the other was a promo from Jans netcraft, one ended up bending. And the other the plastic piece that contacted the pliers broke/split making them useless. ;) Oh well, plastic shouldn't have been used like that anyways.

I've had a micra on my keyring since this summer. Its usually pretty helpful (scissors, tweezers, and tiny knife blade), though has no pliers, no philps and the sloted screw tip is greatly undersized. I'm actually looking at a bigger leatherman as a christmas present to myself, but haven't picked the model yet.