Where can I buy camo spray paint?

DanIAm

I've looked around at a few places and no one here carries it.

While your here would you mind explaining the process of finding the average of a site reading? Another person here explained it and although I truly appriciate their time I didn't quite qet it.

Thanks,

GeocachingGuy

Olive Drab? Normally your handy army surplus store caries it. If not Cheaperthandirt.com does.

Averaging?

Garmin: Tell it to then save the point. (eTrex's may not have averaging, the V does)

Magellan: beats the snot out of me, someone else will have to cover it.

Manual. Take a point write it down. Step away step back, take a point write it down repeat until you are happy. Then average the points by hand.

quote:
Originally posted by GeocachingGuy:

I've looked around at a few places and no one here carries it.

While your here would you mind explaining the process of finding the average of a site reading? Another person here explained it and although I truly appriciate their time I didn't quite qet it.

I've found it at Home Depot, but not Lowes. It may be different in your part of the country.

Averaging gives the cache hider a warm and fuzzy feeling that their coordinates are somehow more accurate (they aren't). If you're getting a good reading with a lot of sat-locks, you're probably fine. If you're getting bad readings, averaging them together isn't somehow going to make them good.

Back in the day, before SA was turned off, averaging was a crude way of compensating for the randomness injected into the system.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

It's been several years since I've bought any, but I was able to find it at on of the name brand paint stores (Glidden, I think). I've also seen it at a Lowes Home Improvement Store, but don't know if they always keep it.

With hunting season approaching, even WalMart might carry some.

E

They do market camo spray paint, but I haven't seen it in my area (NJ). I've had good results using Rustoleum flat brown, grey and black primer and Rustoleum American Accents Hunt Club Green and Nutmeg (sort of a beige).

I vary the pattern depending on where I plan to hide the cache. Rock hides get mostly grey and black, while caches in stumps are chiefly brown, black and green.

As far as averaging with your Legend, you can walk to the spot, take a reading, walk away, come back and take another. Repeat this about 20 times. Actually, don't bother. The benefits of waypoint averaging are debatable. I don't average my coordinates anymore and I find that they are just as accurate as when I did.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by Lerch:

All you need is flat colors. Go to your local hobby store and look in the paint section. Modelers like their projects to look as real as posible. You can buy the colors in cans.

I agree. I think the "Camo" spray paint is just a marketing ploy to jack up the price of the can. A can of the regular stuff in flat works just as well, for a lot cheaper. Save your money.

As far as averaging goes I only do that the first few times when I have a new unit. Now , what I do is set the unit where I need to get a reading and let it sit for 30 to 40 seconds and then enter the waypoint. The reasoning for doing averages with a new unit is to get a feel for how well it is reading the satellites. It is also a carry-over from when the government was adding selective availability to the signal. If you average the first few times then you know your unit is functioning properly if the readings are all close to the same. It is mainly for peace of mind that you know the unit is okay.

The easiest way to average your coordinates is to take the last three digits of either all latitude or all longitude and add them together. Then divide by the number of times you took a reading. That is the average. Now do the same thing to the other cordinate. If you did latitude first then do longitude the same way.

As for camo paint, I suggest you just buy regular 'flat' finish spray paint. It's a whole lot cheaper than buying 'camo' paint which is a 'flat' type paint. We buy ours at the local True Value hardware.

Hope this helps.

John of 2oldfarts

There's only two rules to life.

1st - don't sweat the small stuff.

2nd - It's all small stuff...

Well.....

I read the first post suggestion regarding army surplus stores carrying camo paint and I was off... Picked up 3 cans at almost $6 a can.

I come home paint my item, and THEN come back to read this post. Seems like the general opinion is to visit Wal-Mart getting the same flat colors accomplishing the same goal. Hec, even my wife said before I read this thread, could you have got those same colors at Wal-Mart.

I feel the fool... But a fool with the cans of color he needed to begin with so I can't complain to much.

As far as the averaging, upon reading this thread I decided when I place my first cache, I will leave the GPS on at the same location without movement for 2-5 minutes before marking the waypoint. Then I will see how many people rag me about my reading being way off, lol...

GeocachingGuy

Stop the presses, Stop the presses.

Check out this LINK, it has all the info you need and shows the paint that is available. I have found this paint here in Canada in 4 differant colours. I have also used this method of camoing my cans and it works great.

Binrat

"Blood is thicker than water.......Unless the water is frozen!"

Krylon brand. I got them at Walmart for 1.99 per can.

Your choice of khaki, olive, brown, and black. Instructions on the can tell you how much and in which order for various camo patterns.

Professional grade receivers will ignore the outliers when doing averaging. Depending on the software version you can user define the size of the trimmed mean. I don't believe any rec grade receivers do this.

===========================================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

sometimes i find my averaged coordinates are WORSE. all you have to do is get that one big outlier...

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

Yes, but if you get one that's definately off, don't include it in the averaging.

Just buy the cheapest spray paint you can getin approximately the right colors.

Gloss paint will be fine... you can sand it to a flat finish with 220 grit wet/dry paper, or put a coat of flat clearcoat over the top afterwards.

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

I bought my Camouflage paint at an Autoparts store. Its made by KRYLON and its called Camouflage Paint System. I purchased the color

#8143, "Olive Drab" (Ultra-Flat finish) in a 12 oz spray can.

To get the overall camouflage effect you would obviuosly spray a coat(fine mist) of either olive drab, brown or black or sand color layers. I recently came across a nice geocache container in which someone painted the first layer in this "Drab Olive" color and then set misc. leafs such as ferns on top of box and lightly misted another coat of (black paint over the top of it and then used brown to finish it off. It looked great and blended in so well in its surroundings.

"A bad day of caching is still better than a good day at work"

~Foxgloves~