Some pack and gear questions, where to buy, etc

sygyzy

Hi,

I've done searches and have read all the "What do you carry?" threads but I still have some questions I hope you veterans can answer.

1. Which packs are you guys using? Everyone talks about what's inside the packs, but not what the packs are. I was deciding between a Camelbak Rim Runner and the HAWG. I ended up with the HAWG because the Rim Runner was some 70% larger and over 2lbs empty. Was this a mistake? What do you guys think? I don't really want a large pack, but I really really don't like being unprepared. I guess I want the best of both worlds.

2. Where do you find quality rope? All the rope I looked up is an average of $150. No lie.

3. Where are you buying your gear? In ever hobby I've been involved in, there may be 100's of stores but I have found there are usually 3-6 stores that are basically the top of the line. Best prices, good customer service etc. So what is it for you guys? So far I like BackCountryStore.com alot. I've also purchased from Amazon and FreshtracksMaps.com (looks like my order already, will decide how good they are when everything is said and done).

Well that's it, thanks for your help.

Peace!

Sygyzy

1. I use an old 2,300 ci LL Bean daypack. It's big enough to fit everything, even extra clothing during winter hikes and cache hunts. This summer I purchased an Arc'teryx Spear 24 with hydration bottle sleeve. I only use it for summer walks, because it can't carry much other than the essentials and lunch when it has the hydration bottle inside. It's 1,600 ci.

2. I guess you can find quality rope in a climbing/mountainering store (see my links below). Although I've yet to find a use for super high quality rope while geocaching.

3. For the best deals I go to Sierra Trading Post (www.sierratradingpost.com). They specialize in closeouts and 2nds. You can save 50% or more through STP if you don't mind last year's model, or stuff with minor blemishes. Their customer service is excellent, as is the quality of their goods.

For selection Campmor (www.campmor.com) and REI (www.rei.com) are my favorite shopping stops.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

I use a pack made by Eastport Ourdoor Co. Found it a Walmart. Lots of different compartments and light. I don't carry rope, cause I am a flatlander. HAHA. Good luck.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes.

15777_2200.gif

There are many different kinds of Caches and there are lots of packs also.

And Sierra Trading post has good buys, my friend just got a hell of a deal on a good back.

I usually use a small daypack from Redhead (not made anymore) have a stuff sack that I can put on the outside for more gear.

Use a Camelback 100 liter and carry it internally.

And use a hip pack with 2 water jugs for first aid kit. That way I can use it for short jaunts, and have it hooked up to a set of suspenders.

Duluth Pack still makes the packs the old way with canvas and that will be my next purchase.

http://www.duluthpack.com/

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.

From this and other posts I've seen by you, I think you may have the impression that this sport is a lot more involved than it really is. I didn't start carrying a pack until I had about 15 or 20 finds, usually just stuffing my pockets with trade items and carrying nothing more than my GPSr.

Go ahead and try to find a few easy ones so you can get the general "feel" of the sport. Then, once you're up to finding a cache that involves a long hike or some other added degree of difficulty, get whatever gear you think you'll need.

My pack is usually just crammed full of trade items and maybe a water bottle if it involves a long hike, plus the usual extra batteries. Little, if any, survival gear makes it into my pack.

Hope this helps! Good Luck and happy hunting!

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

Thanks again to everyone for their responses. You are all right, I am overpreparing myself. It's just a habit. I always try to get the "best" of everything and anything whenever I start a new hobby. I guess I'm afraid of the unexpected. I am going to bookmark the sites aforementioned. I think I can convince some coworkers to go hunting this weekend. icon_smile.gif

Peace!

Sygyzy

We're on a budget and I'm generally a cheapskate. I bought a backpack from OfficeMax or Office Depot

for 50% off. The kind kids carry their books in, but it has lots of pockets and comfy straps. Think I spent $10 for it. Water bottles are recycled Evan or Dasanti or Sam's Club bottles that I fill at the kitchen sink. Hiking sticks I made from oak saplings taken from some land that was being cleared. I stripped them down and applied 2 coats of tung oil. Cost? Nadda. Haven't found a use for rope yet. At my age the caches that require rapalling don't get on my watch list. Oh, and the thing we DID spend lavishly on? Good hiking boots. Now I don't mean we went to some specialty hiking store and spent $300. These are Timberland boots off the rack at Bass Pro Shop, but they were 60% off during a grand opening. I think my wife and I are equipped pretty well for geocaching and we probably don't have $250 into it yet. If you have deeper pockets, go for the gold and support the economy!

Good luck!

It sounds as if you've gotten all the advice you need, but I'll chime in with my two cents' worth icon_rolleyes.gif I have a $10 daypack that I bought at Walmart and that's about it. It's big enough for everything I need to carry. Since it's winter here in the north country I'm acutally carrying everything in the pockets of my Barbour coat - PDA, camera, goodies for the cache, baggies, pencils, etc. Once spring/summer rolls around and I do some more ambitious caching I'll bust out the better gear, but for the simple caches it just isn't necessary. I'm into this because I want to have fun. Enjoy!

I threw all my geocaching stuff into the pack I use for day-hikes, since a lot of the stuff is the same anyway. It pretty much stays loaded all the time, so it's always ready to go. Yeah, the sternum strap and the padded belt and the hydration pack are probably a bit of overkill for geocaching, but it beats having multiple packs which I'd constantly have to swap gear out of.

Oh, it's an REI brand bag.

Also, my experience with rope (for non-climbing purposes) is that "parachute" cord works great in most situations.

-Cody

The HAWG is a great daypack. I own an older style mule which is slightly smaller. It has held up for years of hiking, and even a couple of geocaching trips, although admittedly most geocaches I've done don't require me to have a pack. I also have one of the 100oz versions of the Rim Runner, which I've had for a year or so. I haven't ever really used it for geocaching, but it is a pack I use fairly often for longer dayhikes. It's been a bit of a dissapointment as far as ruggedness though, and shows a lot of signs of wear from only a years use. The shoulder straps and padding that goes against my back is starting to fray a bit. I also of course have a couple kelty packs, fanny packs etc which I've accumulated over the years. I'd think just about any or all of them would suffice for geocaching.

You didn't say what you need the rope for. If you've got to climb to get to the cache, I would think you'd want more equipment than just a rope. For a climbing rope $150 would be pretty cheap.

I do most of my sporting goods shopping in the local sporting goods stores. We have many of them in my area that offer a good selection of equipment ranging from junk to top of the line, with prices that vary accordingly.

Just get out and start looking. It really doesn't take anymore than a GPS receiver and a slight bit of common sense. On very rare occasions you may find a cache you have to have equipment to get to, but the vast majority of them seem to be in easy to get to locations.

For what it's worth

Jeff

quote:
Originally posted by Searching_ut:

The HAWG is a great daypack. I own an older style mule which is slightly smaller. It has held up for years of hiking, and even a couple of geocaching trips, although admittedly most geocaches I've done don't require me to have a pack. I also have one of the 100oz versions of the Rim Runner, which I've had for a year or so. I haven't ever really used it for geocaching, but it is a pack I use fairly often for longer dayhikes. It's been a bit of a dissapointment as far as ruggedness though, and shows a lot of signs of wear from only a years use. The shoulder straps and padding that goes against my back is starting to fray a bit. I also of course have a couple kelty packs, fanny packs etc which I've accumulated over the years. I'd think just about any or all of them would suffice for geocaching.

You didn't say what you need the rope for. If you've got to climb to get to the cache, I would think you'd want more equipment than just a rope. For a climbing rope $150 would be pretty cheap.

I do most of my sporting goods shopping in the local sporting goods stores. We have many of them in my area that offer a good selection of equipment ranging from junk to top of the line, with prices that vary accordingly.

Just get out and start looking. It really doesn't take anymore than a GPS receiver and a slight bit of common sense. On very rare occasions you may find a cache you have to have equipment to get to, but the vast majority of them seem to be in easy to get to locations.

For what it's worth

Jeff

Few questions

1. I was looking at the Rim Runner but ended up buying the HAWG. The reason is the RR is 70% larger than the HAWG and over 2lbs empty. I plan on doing some extensive hikes later in the year and I always follow a "better safe than sorry" motto. At the same time I don't want an excessively large pack if not needed so I thought the HAWG would be ideal. They are both 100oz of course. Anyways, first the HAWG is more expensive yet much smaller. Do you know why?

2. Second, the HAWG really seems geared towards mountain bikers. This is no big deal except for the fact that it has no padding on the waist belt. From what I understand, proper pack fitting relies on most of the weight being carries on the hips so this is important to me. Should I return the HAWG and get a Rim Runner? Does the RR have padded waist straps?

3. I don't really need rope. I just thought it couldn't hurt to bring some along. Better safe than sorry again.

So far I have about half a dozen people to go with me on our first find this weekend. This is everyone's first time, cool huh?

Peace!

Sygyzy

quote:
From what I understand, proper pack fitting relies on most of the weight being carries on the hips so this is important to me

This really isn't an issue for daypacks. You aren't carrying enough weight for it to be a concern. Most daypacks don't use a padded hip belt. It's point is more to keep the pack from flopping around, than to distribute the weight.

Now if you're using a full sized backpack and carrying heavy loads for overnight trips, then it's a different story. The hipbelt becomes more important.

Good luck on your hunt. Sounds like you're in for a good time!

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

quote:
1. I was looking at the Rim Runner but ended up buying the HAWG. The reason is the RR is 70% larger than the HAWG and over 2lbs empty. I plan on doing some extensive hikes later in the year and I always follow a "better safe than sorry" motto. At the same time I don't want an excessively large pack if not needed so I thought the HAWG would be ideal. They are both 100oz of course. Anyways, first the HAWG is more expensive yet much smaller. Do you know why?

Your logic sounds good to me regarding going with the HAWG. I'm not sure why the RR is cheaper, but like I mentioned before, I have noticed more signs of wear on it than I expected having owned several bladder only camelbaks and my MULE. It seems to be slightly lighter duty in design

quote:
2. Second, the HAWG really seems geared towards mountain bikers. This is no big deal except for the fact that it has no padding on the waist belt. From what I understand, proper pack fitting relies on most of the weight being carries on the hips so this is important to me. Should I return the HAWG and get a Rim Runner? Does the RR have padded waist straps?

The skinny camelbaks work great for mountain biking. My mule accompanies most of my mountain bike trips. As for the waist strap, like BrianSnat said, it really doesn't come into play with a daypack. They just aren't heavy enough to worry about it, and being frameless rucksacks basically, most of the wait seems to ride on the skin contact area of your back rather than the straps to me anyway. The RR doesn't have padded straps either. I think maybe the peak bagger does. If you're carrying a heavy gear loaded pack you'll want a suspension that allows you to carry a lot of the weight on your hips when appropriate. The packs we're talking about though aren't designed for a significant load.

Once again, have fun on your trip.

Hi there, I'm a Newbie, got a Garmin ETREX for XMAS, but due to the weather I have not had a chance to go Geocaching. Been following this Thread and finding great advice therein. What kind of Bug Repellent would you recommend, does anyone carry Pepper Spray to combat Feral Dogs or Humans, to humans part is a joke but hey you never know. I never thought of the First Aid Kit, that's a good idea. Gonna keep following this Thread and make notes.

PS: Please let me know if I have Posted this properly or improperly, every Discussion Board has it's own etiquette.

Take Care, Michael

quote:
Hi there, I'm a Newbie, got a Garmin ETREX for XMAS, but due to the weather I have not had a chance to go Geocaching. Been following this Thread and finding great advice therein. What kind of Bug Repellent would you recommend, does anyone carry Pepper Spray to combat Feral Dogs or Humans, to humans part is a joke but hey you never know. I never thought of the First Aid Kit, that's a good idea. Gonna keep following this Thread and make notes.

Kind of off topic Nascat, but no big deal. Any insect repellent containing DEET should be fine. Off!, Cutter, Sawyer, Repel, Bens and Ultrathon are some of the more popular brands. You want a DEET concentration of around 20 to 30 percent (5 -10 percent for a young child).

I don't carry pepper spray, but a lot of people do. I've been hiking and backpacking for 20 some years and never had a need for it, but I guess the one time you do, it's great to have along.

Welcome to the sport. I think you'll enjoy it. BTW, how bad could the weather be? I live maybe 30 miles northwest of you and the weather's been great for cache hunting here. No excuses, get out there and geocache!

My only recommendation regarding insect repellent is to watch the aerosols. The propellant in them can etch plastic such as watch crystals, or your GPS lens. I generally use the lotion variety.

I’ve never carried or used Pepper spray, but will most likely have to start as many areas are in the process of making it mandatory to carry in bear country. I’ve encountered many a bear, big cat, etc. and never had any problems with animals in 30 plus years of hiking and backpacking. I have had people steal from my camp however, and have been struck by a rattle snake once. Luckily he hit my boot and caused me no harm other than a little scare. I always carry a Sawyer extractor on me though just in case.

One thing I’d highly recommend if you’re heading into the backcountry and aren’t familiar with that sort of thing is taking a course on the basics from an expert. As a kid in Idaho, I took several “Wilderness education” programs through the school district there. They were 15 day trips into the backcountry where you would learn survival techniques, mountaineering, conservation etc. Unfortunately they quit offering them because of liability issues, but there are still several similar programs available. Just a few years ago I took a snow survival course from the forest service in California. They offered basic survival techniques and a lot of good information regarding avalanche prediction, avoidance, and rescue techniques. Of course for geocacheing, most of this doesn't apply as they don't allow caches in wilderness areas. If the caching gets you started on venturing into the outdoors however, who knows where it will lead......

quote:
My only recommendation regarding insect repellent is to watch the aerosols. The propellant in them can etch plastic such as watch crystals, or your GPS lens.

Actually I don't think it's the propellant, because I've had liquid repellents destroy plastic just as aerosols do. I think it's the DEET that does it. At least with a lotion, or liquid, you're more likely to get it where you want to.

One hint is to protect your GPS screen with one of those thin plastic covers used for PALM devices. Just cut it down to the correct size with a razor.

There is also a company that makes them pre-cut, for GPS devices (and other eqiupment) and they're a lot cheaper than the PALM protectors. I don't have the name, but if you search the general forum, it's there somewhere.

I have a canvas briefcase a vendor gave to me. I sling it over one shoulder. I am too old and take too long to heal for serious climbing, altough I learned to rappel when I was a Volunteer Fireman.

Most boat stores can sell you a good Dacron low strech rope 3/8" for about $25 to $75. Great for hoisting sails with a 5000 lb breaking strength. Again not for climbing.

Fair winds, Capn Skully

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
My only recommendation regarding insect repellent is to watch the aerosols. The propellant in them can etch plastic such as watch crystals, or your GPS lens.

Actually I don't think it's the propellant, because I've had liquid repellents destroy plastic just as aerosols do. I think it's the DEET that does it. At least with a lotion, or liquid, you're more likely to get it where you want to.

One hint is to protect your GPS screen with one of those thin plastic covers used for PALM devices. Just cut it down to the correct size with a razor.

There is also a company that makes them pre-cut, for GPS devices (and other eqiupment) and they're a lot cheaper than the PALM protectors. I don't have the name, but if you search the general forum, it's there somewhere.

_"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant_

If alcohol is the vehicle, spray or cream, that would be the culprit. Alcohol will craze plastics. We use alcohol based de-ice fluid and it can damage the aircraft's plastic windows.

In city caches or caches that are just short walks, I'll just use a small surplus canvas pack.

For the backcountry, I don't screw around. I use a full-sized daypack...3400 cubic inches loaded with the Ten Essentials (extra clothes, first aide, food, etc.) plus geocaching stuff...batteries, trade items. Headlamps are great to have...keep hands free in night searches.

It's an internal frame model...Mountain Smith Bugaboo. You could make this one into a one nighter, but I like to use a 5000 cubic inch Kelty model for backpacking.

Honestly, I have several Backpacks of various shapes and sizes. I guess your pack depends on what you want to put in it. I will give a couple suggestions though...

Go small if you can. There's nothing like ducking under a limb, and getting caught by your backpak. icon_mad.gif

Second, pockets, pockets, pockets! I hate rummaging around in the main compartment, so I keep poop bags (for the doggies), the GPS, and the Camera on outside pockets. However, you might need to pad them. Binoculars on the outside are handy for that quick, quiet look too.

Third, another items that we carry are (For the ladies) TP and small ziploc bags. Carry in, carry out if you know what I mean. Also some bandaids, some antibacterial gel, extra paper/pencil, and a FLASHLIGHT! Oh, and we also use one of those caribeaner clips to clip our GPS to the pack on a ring. I just have this paranoia of losing it along the way for some weird reason.