Best Cache Container (or I Hate Tupperware)

Clan X-Man

Folger's coffee has changed to plastic containers in the past year. Beside the 36 ounce they have a 52 which is a really nice size and a smaller which is probably about 20 some ounces. They seal well. I've been considering using one to see how they will hold up.

The downside to plastic is the attitude I have toward it. The first seven or eight caches I found were all in ammo boxes and they spoiled me. Now when I find a rubbermaid cache with soggy contents I think that Ammo containers are the way to go. Besides, the Ace Hardware near me has them for 4.00 each or three for ten bucks.

I would think they would be waterproof, as they keep paint fresh and unspoiled.

They are waterproof when new. Once that lid gets bent from repeated closing and opening, it won't be any longer.

They also rust quickly.

We have had a paint can out for over a year (including a Canadian winter) and it is still water proof. The area is also very wet in the spring.

That being said caches up here do not get the traffic that US caches do... average about 1 /month for me.

I painted it first with black rust paint then cammo. There is a opening tool attached to the handle and nothing but a rock to close it up...

Scott

I too prefer ammo cans for larger, more remote caches. I like to cover mine with camo duct tape. Not only does it help hide them it reduces the clang factor somewhat. I'd sure like to find a place, locally, where I could get them for $3.00 or $5.00. I spent $9.99 on the last one I bought (.50 cal).

Although I haven't hidden a micro yet, I have hundreds of the perfect container. There are small plastic tubes from a medical supply store with screw-on lids. They're waterproof (I used to ship HO racetrack cleaner samples in them.) and small enough to fit almost anywhere. Dimensions are about 1.5" in length and about 7/16" in diameter.

If anyone would like a few, just e-mail me at Mudinyeri

Ammo cans are definitly the best...My favorite, though, is the little tubs that cool-whip comes in. They are cheap, spacious, and last up to 3 weeks! As for micros, match containers work well, but the rubber gaskets tend to rot. Film canisters do fine. As for cookie tins stated above, they wrok good, but repeated opening cand closing can cause the containers to bend, rendering them non-waterproof.

Ammo cans are the best. Although, one of mine has a lid that comes off at the hinge. Next time I buy, I will inspect them carefully. I have one cache out that is PVC pipe. It is waterproof but the problem is that it is hard to open. I have to go out and apply silicon to the threads of the cap every so often. Rubbermaid makes some very good containers. I have one of the new Folger's coffee cans out right now on a field test. The winter will tell. (I live in Northeast Ohio.) Finally, has anyone tried one of the new plastic paint cans? They appear to be made of a thick plastic. But you would have to trim off the pouring spout.

Both of my cache containers are painted altoid tins. One of them got very very wet after a rain once- so I put a plastic bag over it. It seems to be fine. The other one is hidden in a rafter of a park shelter, so there is absoltely no way it could get wet, unless the roof leaked or it fell down (impossible).

The caches I have been to recently have 'TakeAlongs' containers. They seem to work well-even with the lid 5' away, which is how I found one of them!!! B)

My very first hide was a typical ammo can but then I discovered those bear proof containers. They are water proof, they can be opened with a coin,they have a sack that comes with them and they also have a cord rope to hoist into a tree. So far these are my favorite, but then again I only have 3 hides to our account. I did buy several unique containers (on an auction type web site_, a fence cap, an apple, and a secret compartment book just to name a few that says it is waterproof, they will be my next hides.

Here's a picture of my first cache containers, what do you think?

Cache_Container.JPG

One is a medium sized tupperware container with the Camo Duct Tape and the other is a Insulated Coffee Mug with Camo Duct Tape. I had to seal the coffee sipping holes on the lid. The lid has a nice tight rubber seal, so I don't think it will leak.

Now I just have to find a good hidding spot...

Here's a picture of my first cache containers, what do you think?

Cache_Container.JPG

One is a medium sized tupperware container with the Camo Duct Tape and the other is a Insulated Coffee Mug with Camo Duct Tape. I had to seal the coffee sipping holes on the lid. The lid has a nice tight rubber seal, so I don't think it will leak.

Now I just have to find a good hidding spot...

Love the coffe mug idea! That should really work well. Tupperware looks good but may leak. That's just my experience here in the south. But nicely taped.

I have been looking around and I find that there are fairly good alternatives at the "Dollar Stores" for a dollar! Today I picked up three quart containers with a screw top lid. I have had one out for several months through a lot of rain and it seems to be holding up quite well. Snap on lids containers ie. tupperware just don't cut in the cold weather. Expansion and contraction cause lids to pop off. In rural areas I believe ammo boxes are the best. But in this age of terrorism an ammo box in an urban area is just asking for problems.

The cache I found today was a (plastic) coffee can. It has only recently been placed, so don't know how it will fare, but was fairly well-protected water-wise and from UV-rays, too.

Hoping to place my first cache soon, so this thread has been mighty useful. I will definitely be doing ammo cans, as my caches will be out in the woods with plenty of room. I've got to find a local surplus store, though. Shipping & handling seems to drive up the price of the online boxes quite a bit (understandable since it's big and heavy).

ammo cans are great...but a little heavy and kinda hard to hide. i've had really good luck and response from the containers i've used. being a landscaper, i've used PVC in a couple different sizes and put a threaded cap on one end. they don't cost me a thing because their scraps from the job but you can put one together for 2-$4 and they'll last almost forever. they are light and stay dry even under snow for the winter months. i throw a silica gel packet inside and it seems to help. they come free with many items you buy anyway. you can also paint them any camo style you want.

my two cents...

willy

The cache I found today was a (plastic) coffee can.  It has only recently been placed, so don't know how it will fare, but was fairly well-protected water-wise and from UV-rays, too.

Hoping to place my first cache soon, so this thread has been mighty useful.  I will definitely be doing ammo cans, as my caches will be out in the woods with plenty of room.  I've got to find a local surplus store, though.  Shipping & handling seems to drive up the price of the online boxes quite a bit (understandable since it's big and heavy).

Don't think I'll hide anymore METAL coffee cans. They condensate too much. They work fine if the area is a drier climate, but here in the Seattle area...water tends to collect.

Edited by evergreenhiker!
I've got to find a local surplus store, though.  Shipping & handling seems to drive up the price of the online boxes quite a bit (understandable since it's big and heavy).

Shipping is a flat rate at Cheaperthandirt.com (up to 100+ lbs), so it's $8 whether you buy one can or 2 dozen. You can save a lot of money by buying in bulk and selling the excess to your local geocaching buddies. I find they are very easy to get rid of with a simple post in your regional forum.

Haven't seen plastic Tobacco containers mentioned at all. The inside of the Players one I have used said it was both dishwasher safe and freezer safe. Those factors convinced me to try it in Manitoba where the temps get very cold. Also they are made to keep Tobacco dry so...I will report back in spring how it stood up but its been out since July and is looking good so far with the temperatures dropping. It is under a bit of snow right now but high enough to find.

There are several sizes though the one I used would be considered small-regular sized. I pick them up at a Goodwill store nearby. Good recycling...And they fit into hollow trees nicely. I'm wondering how the silver cigar containers would do? Anybody tried those for micros?