Tb Graveyard

El Diablo

Since the TB owner now has the choice to mark a TB as missing (something we couldn't' do back when the graveyard caches were created), all those graveyards are unnecessary and should probably be archived, no?

There are TBs that go missing due to natural disasters. Maybe it should be reserved for those.

El Diablo

Since the TB owner now has the choice to mark a TB as missing (something we couldn't' do back when the graveyard caches were created), all those graveyards are unnecessary and should probably be archived, no?

There are TBs that go missing due to natural disasters. Maybe it should be reserved for those.

El Diablo

No, I don't think the graveyards should be used for any bugs anymore. (Even one that was washed away by a hurricane may wash up on shore someday.) The part that annoys me the most is that the TB gets logged with the miles to the graveyard (and from, if it returns from the dead). That's really misleading.

No, I don't think the graveyards should be used for any bugs anymore.  (Even one that was washed away by a hurricane may wash up on shore someday.)

And what would be the odds of a TB being washed back on to shore and being found by someone who knew what to do with it? Reality check. :(

El Diablo

Never say never! I have heard several stories of a cache (usually ammo cans) being washed away in a flood and being recovered at some later date. I think one was ClayJar's, and another more recent one was in PA. The one in PA was found by non-cachers who now cache because of finding that ammo box. Don't know if any had TBs in them.

What's really the difference though HOW a TB goes missing? Using the mark missing feature doesn't add any false miles or history to the TB, and even if it turns up years later (which DOES happen more often, I've found one myself) the TB can easily resume it's travels without adding 20,000 false miles to it.

Edited by Mopar

I've never owned a TB (although I just ordered a bunch of tags and USA Coins) so I'm not quite sure I understand this concern over milage. Who cares how many miles someones TB logged?

Excuse my ignorance on this...seriously I'm unfamilar with the TB tracking system. If you put one in the graveyard and it suddenly pops back up, how does that add milage?

El Diablo

I've never owned a TB (although I just ordered a bunch of tags and USA Coins) so I'm not quite sure I understand this concern over milage. Who cares how many miles someones TB logged?

Excuse my ignorance on this...seriously I'm unfamilar with the TB tracking system. If you put one in the graveyard and it suddenly pops back up, how does that add milage?

El Diablo

As you log TB's in and out of caches, the system calculates the mileage the bug has travelled by using the coordinates of the caches. Besides completing its goal, a travel bug's success is measured by the miles its travelled. The Travel Bug Graveyard is located at N 00° 01.000 W 000° 01.000. Logging a bug in and out of this cache is going to add a lot of imaginary miles to the bug.

Edited by geojeeper74

Isn't this cache just an easy way to add a ton of miles to a bug without actually having to destroy it, any bugs (Like carrie's ark) that have visited the graveyard and been revived have false millage on them. The ark never went 29991 km like it notes, but because of it's visit there... How did this cache get approved also, don't the rules state that there MUST be a log book and a box... Correct me if I'm wrong but this isn't a proper barrial for bugs... :(

Filling in the facts, Carries ark (While otherwise sucessfull) racked 5708.4mi going TO (not to and back) the Graveyard...

-D-

Edited by Dennisfauchez

TB miles are like find counts, there are no winners. If a bug owner puts it in a graveyard and it is later found, those logs can be deleted and the distance recalculated. It should be up to the owner to put his bug in limbo or in a graveyard. Archiving them won't prevent them from being used.

Personnally I just don't find any reason for the Graveyard to exist... There's no good that can come from it, Sure it's neat to keep track of the bugs that arn't living anymore... but that's what the archives are for... So this place is only a cheap way to make bugs look more significant by adding a good couple thousand miles to it...

Correct me if I'm wrong, But I just don't see any good reason for it to be...

-D-

I'm with Mopar on this one. TB Graveyards came into existince because there was no way to mark a TB as missing. Thus they would show as being in a cache when they really were not. TB Graveyards solved the problem. Now a better solution is at hand and they are no longer needed for use as a graveyard. If there is a real cache there to be found though, they are viable caches.

I agree that TB graveyards are no longer necessary, but I'd hate to archive a good cache if it's still viable as a cache. Couldn't/shouldn't we just have the owners change the cache pages? As far as the added untrue miles go, those last logs could simply be deleted, and the mileage recalculated. Of course, this is a really bug can of worms, and the logistics are just awful! :unsure:

I have no personal problem with those who place their bugs here and make their millage a lie... But if there's anyone else like me out there who like to grab the bugs that have made it far and like to be part of a HUGE chain that sometimes stretches around the world... This cache has no real purpose anymore...

:unsure: I like to know that the miles on the bugs that I grab are the actual miles, so when I get a bug that has false miles... I usually have no respect for it and just pass it on without regarding it's goal... It's hard to be excited about a bug when the bug lies to you...

It probably wouldn't be that bad of a thing if the cache was moved to a real place...or atleast somewhere that isn't the middle of an ocean...

I guess I have no problem with it , as long as none of my bugs make it there and as long as the bugs I get haven't been...

-D-

Personnally I just don't find any reason for the Graveyard to exist... There's no good that can come from it, Sure it's neat to keep track of the bugs that arn't living anymore... but that's what the archives are for... So this place is only a cheap way to make bugs look more significant by adding a good couple thousand miles to it...

Correct me if I'm wrong, But I just don't see any good reason for it to be...

-D-

Graveyards existed before the "mark this bug missing" option was added. It was a way to put them to bed when travel bugs had gone lost, stolen or missing. They did serve a purpose then. They are a sort of travel bug history. At this point, the logistics of marking each and every bug missing, or deleting the hundreds of notes is just too much, so we'll move on from here. Perhaps now it is just up to the bug owner to mark thier bug missing, or give it a burial in the graveyard. Bug owners can also delete that last log and recalculate the miles now. Consider those false miles the final trip to bug heaven and be done with it. You're not wrong, it's just that they are kind of grandfathered in, they came to be before we had the option to mark it missing, that's all.

Graveyards existed before the "mark this bug missing" option was added.  It was a way to put them to bed when travel bugs had gone lost, stolen or missing.  They did serve a purpose then.

Eartha, one major purpose of TB graveyards has not been changed by the new "mark TB missing" option: It's the only possibility for a non-owner to mark the TB missing.

BS/2