Beaten Again

This cache has our number. We've been out there what, 5 times? Still can't find the darned thing. Today we spent an hour walking in circles trying to find the final stage. :blink:

It's been some time since we've been out here, so we started from the beginning. Followed the clues from 1 to 2 to 3, where we were stumped last time. Since the Fireman had given me a hint, I thought stage 3 would be easy. However, someone has seen fit to vandalize the object at this locaton. I had to look hard to find the clue. I took a picture of it since that was far easier than sticking my head in there! I proceeded onto stage 4 and found the marker farther away than I had expected. I just used my knowledge of the cache to this point to guide me. This was all good, and I entered the final clue into my GPS. I parked about 300 feet or so from the cache and got the kids and dog out of the truck. We hiked through the brush until my GPS said 4 feet and started looking. We walked in circles, widening and widening our search area until I had checked everything within 50 feet. Well, maybe I didn't check EVERYthing, since this cache has beaten us again. On the way out, I stopped by #4 again just to make sure I had projected the right numbers. It matched my first attempt, so we left with our heads hung in shame. How many DNF's can I log on one stinking cache?

I can hear the cache owner laughing at me. He'd better not attend the next event in our area :D

<Ring Ring>

Fireman78: Hello?

Saxy: Hey Fireman...I'm going to try to get the Encroachment cache again today!...wish me luck!

Fireman78: Good luck Saxy...Other people have found it...and I know it's there cause I checked on it yesterday.

Saxy: Thanks!..I know we'll get it today!

Fireman78: (that's what he thinks) I'm sure you will too! (yeah right!)

<click>

Fireman78: Honey!...lets go remove Encroachment cache again!...Saxman is going out to find it again today!

B)

Finally! Proof Aliens Really Exist is a great multi in Newark, Ohio. Every time I got back to stage 4, I was dehydrated and stressed from life in general and I always ignored warnings and made the most comical decisions! I tried several times to bushwhack .4 miles to the final! Not a good idea, let alone to attempt it 3 or 4 times. I finally proved that I could find that darn cache on Sunday. I was ready to have a kegger right there.

Good Luck GPSSax. I'll try to channel some karma your way.

Indygo, Switchdoc, The Wife and I decided to try an insane puzzle cache in our area. I think our total time working on this cache was 48 hours. But eventually we found it and we were FTF. So, don't give up!

On the other hand, Indygo and I were unable to find some 2/1 micro and we searched for an hour. People have logged it after our DNFs (found it quickly. Thanks for the cache!). Once my toe is better, we're going back out there. No 'easy' micro is going to stymie us! B)

Ahh sounds like a fine projection problem. I've met a few cachers who had no clue as to how a projection works. And I even found out something different on

how they work, if you set your GPS to read in yards. The projections only seem to do it in tenths. So the cache requirements may switch you back and forth.

And you may have to do some old #2 dixon analogy.

Hope you find it and if you do then I'll have a good projection one in the hills when you ever get up here.

I spent 5 trips looking for this cache by me. The first two the guy(my best friend) insisted it was there. Then he went and checked and it wasn't..Anyway he switched the container and I had to go back 3 more times to eventually find it in a sprinklerhead..also i had 3 popped bike tires to and from this cache. I was glad when I finally found that one!!

You mentioned that #4 was a little off, was everything just a little off. You may want to check your GPS North orientation. The clue states True North most default are set at magnetic north, it will make a difference. Just something I thought of, hope it helps.

My GPS is set for true north. Another cacher (who had lots of trouble) emailed me with his projection waypoints. I compared them to my tracklog. One was just outside of my circle (well, more of an oval that's 100x160, or 50-80 foot radius). The other was near where I parked.

Fireman78 said he'll check on the final stage tomorrow, so I'll go back out and check the two new waypoints I have and see if I come up with the cache.

Tahosa, yeah my first 3 projections (to stages 2,3,4) were accurate to 10-30 feet, so I don't think that's a problem

You mentioned that #4 was a little off, was everything just a little off.  You may want to check your GPS North orientation.  The clue states True North most default are set at magnetic north, it will make a difference.  Just something I thought of, hope it helps.

My GPS is set for true north. Another cacher (who had lots of trouble) emailed me with his projection waypoints. I compared them to my tracklog. One was just outside of my circle (well, more of an oval that's 100x160, or 50-80 foot radius). The other was near where I parked.

Oh well that is all I had, sorry couldn't be more of a help.

Little Cat Cache  That one is kicking my rear-end the last few months.  Don't know why, but I spent quite a while looking the one time I actually got near it.  "Use your geosense, it should be easy enough to spot."  That reeeally hurts...I guess it's about time to try again.  :blink:

:huh: Got it today. It took about 10 seconds of searching. Undoubtedly due to the fact that I'd already searched everywhere else within a 300 foot radius last time. Still felt really good...

Edited by 5

The De-fence-less cache here in Northern Virginia was a real challenge for me (and quite a few others)...logged hundreds of miles and a bunch of DNFs on that one before finally finding it. Funny how caches like that can get under your skin though...and you just can't let go of them. A very satisfying find.

Regards,

2Wheel'in

I don't have any that I have been to more than twice, but one of my recent DNFs bothers me.

On this cache I tryed on two nights in a row, and could not find it. Since then, others have found it with no problems. The tough part is that I was on travel, and now I can't continue to hunt it.

Oh well, I might be returning to the Dallas area soon, so I might get another shot at it.

Shannon