Geohikes - New Website For Uk Walkers/geocachers

davester

I posted just over a week ago asking about whether there were any sites that had walking routes for geocachers (ie. routes linking caches). As I tend to do all my caching like this I was quite eager for such a site.

But there wasn't one. So like (perhaps) that Remington shaver bloke, I liked the idea so much I wrote the site.

You can find it at http://www.geohikes.co.uk

At the moment there is a smattering of content (all detailed cache to cache routes) based on walks I've done recently myself. I'll be adding more as and when I have the time (and when I've done more walking/caching too), but each and every geocacher is very welcome to become a GeoHiker and come to my site and submit there routes.

That website again. Hope to see you soon.

www.geohikes.co.uk

Great idea :lol: How long does it take to get your password. I signed up this morning :D

Got mine in 2 mins when the mail software next scanned the inbox.

I had plans to create a similar site, but never seem to get the time. Looks like the start of a good site.

My idea was to include downloadable waypoints for all the significant points on the route so that they could have the entire route in the GPSr or pumped into Memory map or similar. No idea how to do that, just one of the many stumbling blocks that got between my idea and reality.

Great idea :lol:  How long does it take to get your password. I signed up this morning :D

Got mine in 2 mins when the mail software next scanned the inbox.

I had plans to create a similar site, but never seem to get the time. Looks like the start of a good site.

My idea was to include downloadable waypoints for all the significant points on the route so that they could have the entire route in the GPSr or pumped into Memory map or similar. No idea how to do that, just one of the many stumbling blocks that got between my idea and reality.

Downloadable waypoints are a very good idea and one which I'll sort out when I can. One of the biggest problems in setting the site up was get I assume that GPX format would probably be the best.

I like the sound of this site, hope it's successful Davester

MarcB

I'm looking forward to your description of how to walk the Alchemy Quest!

Well I dont know about walking it... I havn't done the Alchemy Quest but I have sat down with a few sheets of paper and plotted my very own map of their distribution and worked out a good logical sequence to find them all in (you can find one or two of the 2nd level caches before all the base level ones for example).

One day I will stop thinking about it and head on up to give it a go :lol:

Great idea :huh:  How long does it take to get your password. I signed up this morning :blink:

You should get your password straightaway. Drop me an email at admin@geohikes.co.uk if you still haven't got it and I'll fix you up.

did you get my email?? I tried emailing you but never got a reply, Maybe my hotmail account is playing up as i dont seam to be getting watch list notifications any more :blink:

I did and I replied to it. Then figured out that if hotmail were filtering out the domain you wouldn't get that, so I sent you a new password via private message here.

I've changed the site registration now so you can choose your own password on the registration screen, as you weren't the only one with problems.

I've also deleted your old account so you can sign up again with the same details.

Enjoy!

I did and I replied to it. Then figured out that if hotmail were filtering out the domain you wouldn't get that, so I sent you a new password via private message here.

I've changed the site registration now so you can choose your own password on the registration screen, as you weren't the only one with problems.

I've also deleted your old account so you can sign up again with the same details.

Enjoy!

Cheers

Sorted now.

Donnie

Just signed up too. Looks like a good idea.

Don't forget the West Highland Way - an official long distance footpath with quite a few caches en route. I understand that some Belgians were the first to actually walk the entire route and do the caches as well - as opposed to cheats who picked them off by car first LOL

Someone asked me in the pub last week if there were any gpsr related sites that took in a walk rather than find caches. I spotted your site today and signed up.

a very good idea and it already seems to have a good growd of members. I will now have that horrible task of having to go out to the pub again tonight to tell a mate about your site :huh:

If I was to make a walk , should I add co-ordinates to the route I take or just a turn left here turn right there sort of thing and watering holes and parking?

Nige

If you have co-ordinates that would be great. All my routes have been walked and I've been able to recall the route to describe it.

I normally design routes with Memory Map and the OS map before going so I can attach those routefiles.

If you don't have access to mapping software, include a few co-ordinates and I should be able to work out what route is being taken anyway.

:laughing: