Approvers...

fly46

If you have a question for your local reviewer and you do not know who they are, then write the contact address. They will forward it to the appropriate person.

So you get your answer in 5 weeks? Be realistic!

You tell 'em!

We do agree on this one!!

No, actually, you come to the forums and start a topic. :P

EDITED -- Ouch, the original might have been more appropriate!

Actually, I have emailed my local area approver (NJ Admin) twice and have posted a thread in the North East section to try and get his/her attention. All have failed. It does seem he/she is not too busy posting on the New England threads and is most likely too busy geocaching to answer any of my questions. I am still waiting for a reply to my emails (2 weeks) and to the forum post (2 days). :huh:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=78843

//editted for spelling.

Edited by GeoKender
Actually, I have emailed my local area approver (NJ Admin) twice and have posted a thread in the North East section to try and get his/her attention. All have failed.

Rumor has it that a couple of big, tough, North Jersey sooperduper cachers "took care" of him with their Louisville Slugger. I fear NJAdmin is now "sleepin' wif da fishes."

Edited by BassoonPilot
Actually, I have emailed my local area approver (NJ Admin) twice and have posted a thread in the North East section to try and get his/her attention. All have failed.

Rumor has it that a couple of big, tough, North Jersey sooperduper cachers "took care" of him with their Louisville Slugger. I fear NJAdmin is now "sleepin' wif da fishes."

Shhhhh!

:huh: So that's what happens when you go for the "virtual Corleone cache"! :P

[no editing was dont to this post, I hit edit instead of quote, sorry]

Edited by CO Admin

:huh: So that's what happens when you go for the "virtual Corleone cache"! :P

[no editing was dont to this post, I hit edit instead of quote, sorry]

I am shocked, being from NJ you of all people should know that the "Corleone cache" is a hydro-cache with a level 5 terrain because of the cement overcoat required to find the cache.

Y'all are right... It just donned on me when I realized I needed to talk to the approver in Georgia that I had started this list... Yeah, it dropped into forum oblivion.

Anyway, As for the question about reading the forums, I'm posting the link to the page on my profile, anyone who has a caching website can post the link to the list on their sites or whatever else..

Someone wants to know why we would want a list, how about this:

When there's a problem with a cache and the cache owner has dropped off the planet, we need to know who to talk to. We don't always know who an expericenced cacher to ask would be, either. If the powers that be don't want a list, they should solve this by making the part where we can see who reviewed our own caches viewable by everyone. I'm sorry that most of you assume that we'll only ever need this for our own cache placement, but that simply isn't the case.

Here's the list so far according to this thread. Please feel free to change this:

Alabama - ?

Alaska - ?

Arizona - CO Admin

Arkansas - ?

California - WestCoastAdmin, SoCalAdmin, Hemlock

Colorado - CO Admin

Connecticut - ?

Delaware - ?

Florida - ?

Georgia - ?

Hawai'i - ?

Idaho - MT Fellwalker

Illinois - ?

Indiana - ?

Iowa - ?

Kansas - *gln

Kentucky - ?

Louisiana - ?

Maine - ?

Maryland - ?

Massachussettes - ?

Michigan - ?

Minnesota - ?

Mississippi - ?

Missouri - ?

Montana - ?

Nebraska - ?

Nevada - CO Admin

New Hampshire - ?

New Jersey - ?

New Mexico - ?

New York - ?

North Carolina - ?

North Dakota - ?

Ohio - Keystone Approver

Oklahoma - ?

Oregon - ?

Pennsylvania - Keystone Approver

Rhode Island - ?

South Carolina - ?

South Dakota - ?

Tennessee - Tennessee Geocacher

Texas - 9key

Utah - UtahAdmin

Vermont - ?

Virginia - ?

Washington - ?

West Virginia - Keystone Approver

Wisconsin - ?

Wyoming - ?

Washington DC - ?

Other Countries - ?

According to KA in this thread he lets us know Crashmore is the Maryland approver.

Just an update to the list.

John

WE NEED MORE APPROVERS LISTED - AND NOT JUST FOR THE US!!!

Tahu Nuva - Finland (incl. Åland Islands), Iceland , Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

Kopaka Nuva - Sweden

Lewa Nuva - Denmark (incl. Greenland), Norway (incl. Faroe Islands, Svalbard and Jan Mayen)

Laogai - Germany (maybe also Austria and Switzerland)

Can I ask what your issue is with me all of a sudden?

The purpose is for it to be a general guideline.... not set in stone, not made from gold... Just a general guideline that is *fairly* accurate so that when someone needs to talk to a specific area's approver/administrator/pain in the butt/whatever you want to call 'em... that you have some idea of who to talk to instead of having to find someone in an area that you may or may not be familliar with if you have an issue.

And why do you care what I spend my time doing?

Mark this down, I agree with Co Admin. Why bother with a list that changes so frequently? If you need to talk to a reviewer, email the contact@gc.com and they'll direct you to the person you should be talking to. That's a much more preferable solution then emailing reviewers who have moved on to new areas.

TN also does Arkansas and Mississippi.

Tomorrow I'm going to make the page.

WE NEED MORE APPROVERS LISTED - AND NOT JUST FOR THE US!!!

Since there are so many errors why bother to "MAKE THE PAGE"???????

Same reason you guys have an internal list errors and all. By saying there are errors and not correcting them you are doing geocachers a disservice. Both in not correcting them but also in a classic “neener neener neener I know something and you don’t” way.

Mark this down, I agree with Co Admin. Why bother with a list that changes so frequently? If you need to talk to a reviewer, email the contact@gc.com and they'll direct you to the person you should be talking to. That's a much more preferable solution then emailing reviewers who have moved on to new areas.

Why wait longer than you need to? Contact@geocaching.com can take a week or three depending and your approver can also take some time to respond.

Since we all have to have our caches approved, it's reasonable to see the list. It's not reasonable for admins and approvers to sit there with a list in their hands and belittle the effort to make a list.

Why wait longer than you need to? Contact@geocaching.com can take a week or three depending and your approver can also take some time to respond.

Since we all have to have our caches approved, it's reasonable to see the list. It's not reasonable for admins and approvers to sit there with a list in their hands and belittle the effort to make a list.

Need? We're talking about tupperware and old ammo cans here; what 'need' can there be that precludes one from waiting a week or so before they're allowed to list it on this site? How many approvers have to join this thread to tell you that a list is a futile endeavour? So you wait 2 weeks to have your cache approved; big deal; the world won't end because of it.

...Need? We're talking about tupperware and old ammo cans here; what 'need' can there be that precludes one from waiting a week or so before they're allowed to list it on this site? How many approvers have to join this thread to tell you that a list is a futile endeavour? So you wait 2 weeks to have your cache approved; big deal; the world won't end because of it.

Yes need. Is there a need to make people wait longer than they need to? Does needless waiting serve any purpose? No. Unless you like frustrating your members and customers more than you need to.

Is there a list? Yes. It's used internally. Is it 100%? Maybe not, but since such a list exists, and since some approvers have angst and heartburn over helping a reasonable effort by a member while having access to their own list, I think they would serve the greater good by staying out of the thread.

As for the world ending, It won't end if you don't need to wait two weeks either. I'll even go so far as to say that we would be better off. What need is there to fight against this list? None. Why does the site have a list they keep for their own use? So they can track the approvers. If they who assign them keep a list to keep track of it all, then all the more reason for us mere members to have a list for similar reasons. We don't need home phone numbers. Just to know who the approver is for an area.

This isn't rocket science. But the way some are reacting you would think it's stealing trade secretes.

Since I approve caches in a different state every week, sending an email to the "main" approver would not help me at all. (i.e.: If you sent CO_Admin an email because he is listed as the cache reviewer in that area and I end up approving caches there that week, we might have a problem.)

What works best for me is for you to submit your cache page and leave a "Note to the Reviewer" with any questions you have. If I happen to be the one looking at it, I will have your questions or information available. If another reviewer looks at it, they will have it available too.

...What works best for me is for you to submit your cache page and leave a "Note to the Reviewer" with any questions you have. If I happen to be the one looking at it, I will have your questions or information available. If another reviewer looks at it, they will have it available too.

That method has earned me two denied caches. It's so much better to get an answer beforehand where a question might arise. It saves frustration on the part of both the cache owner and the reviewer.

But hey, since you have said what works for you, then when I'm listing a cache in your area, I'll work it the way you have requested. Except... I um... don't know what area that is exactly...

You reviewers are not lego's. You have personalities, you have different viewpoints that impact how you review caches. What works in AZ, is different from what works in AK, and ID. For example next time I’m in AZ I’m going to check up on my cache. CO Admin denied this cache on GC.com because I saw no reason to divulge the names of the non cachers who are maintaining it for me. Where I to place another cache in AZ in a couple of months I know that CO Admin will again ask the same question, get the same answer, and again say he can’t approve my cache. However when I was in Alaska I placed a cache and made an arrangement with a non cacher to maintain it. The question never came up. It was enough to know that maintenance was covered. Identical situation, different reviewer, different result.

If it's all the same I'd rather ask questions up front where I can see a potential issue. It will save everyone the trouble of a denied cache.

Mistersparkle = north eastern New Jersey

Moan*A*Lisa = north western New Jersey

Pbfanatic = north central New Jersey

There_it_is = south central New Jersey

Limeaway = south eastern New Jersey (western section)

That’s all I have right now. I’ll be sure to add more though.

Harrald. Thanks for the help. Is this the kind of post you want to be able to point at and say "See I did that!" as your validation? Perhaps it's the kind of deed you wish to be measured by? Doesn't Mopar quote you on that?

For what it's worth, your efforts here help show why the site itself should provide the list. Now if they had a reason like "When we tried the list our approvers were overwhealmed with emails and it slowed down their approvals to the point where people complained about that." Then I could see not doing it. However nobody has said that or anything else that wasn't a variation of "you have to work to keep the list current"

I'm new to all of this, but I can't understand what the big deal is about know who the approvers are in any area. These people have been assigned a task to see that the caches meet the standards of the website not the cache itself. If you own a website that allows members or outsiders to post on it, you would want to be sure your rules were followed. What difference does it make if you approve or disapprove a post or your son or sister does it? All of this stuff takes time and we all have to exercise a little patients. Of course, the approver should consider that we are all anxious to get our caches posted ASAP. I would say that if a reviewer doesn't have the time to devote to reviewing he or she should take their name off the list and let someone else shoulder that responsibility. I, personally, don't need to know WHO the reviewer is.

So let me get this straight.

We have a site already that is so bogged down, there are certain times of the day/week that people can't get on the site.

We have a very small support staff that handles everything that has to do with the site - especially that which goes in through the main channels - ie that email address.

So what you're saying is that every time one of us has a question, instead of having a direct means to someone, instead of knowing a way to get what we're looking for with two page loads instead of ten, we should bog down the site and overwork the people even more than already?

Here's a prime example.

Jeremy - you know, the guy who started this whole thing - has been a member since June 1, 2000.

In that time he has placed three caches and found 159.

As in, our own site FOUNDER doesn't have time to go out and participate in a hobby that he loves.

In contrast, my stats.

I have been a member since June 4, 2003.

During that time I have placed four caches and found 174.

So we should bog down Jeremy and the other powers that be even more by not being able to have a list?

I've talked to approvers/reviewers/whatever you want to call them, and the ones I've talked to have said some things against this list that make a lot of sense, but they've also said they don't see why there's all the negativity in this post.

And how in the world are there five reviewers for New Jersey and only one or two for all of Canada?

Here's a prime example.

Jeremy - you know, the guy who started this whole thing - has been a member since June 1, 2000.

In that time he has placed three caches and found 159.

As in, our own site FOUNDER doesn't have time to go out and participate in a hobby that he loves.

unless YOU asked Jeremy about his find levels how can you presume to know why they are what they are.

This thread has degenerated into name calling, flamming, and pure nonsense and some outright lies.

All of that is against the forum guidelines.

This thread is closed. Please do not open a version 2

thank you

If you feel that you are not getting the level of service you should be from the reviewers or forum moderators simply e-mail; approvers@Groundspeak.com with your concerns.

This e-mail address is only for reporting concerns regarding Cache reviewers and Forum Moderators