Rehabbing Caches

A while back there was a thread about what we take with us on a cache hunt. One fellow mentioned cache rehab items which spawned a small side discussion of same.

I was at a cache today that was left open, out in the open, and was a real mess inside. At least there were no bugs or animals inside. Had a lot of dirt and weeds in it and what I'd have to call real trade garbage (following the comments of readers hearin about junk in caches). When I logged the find I gave a detailed description of what I just outlined and said the owner needs to check it more often.

I cleaned it out added a pen and several new and nice toys and trading items.

Now comes the questions -

a - how many of you do cache rehab?

b - what are the rules and/or protocl for doing cache rehab?

c - did I do ok here or did I overstep the boundried?

d - what kind of rehab to you (who do it) do?

e - do I need to say anything directly in e-mail to the ower (they already got a copy of my log so know the details)?

thanks -

A. If a cache were in need of a little help, and I had the proper gear, I'd certainly try and fix it up, but if I don't I'm sure to send an email to the owner.

B. No real rules, but I'd talk to the owner if the container itself needs replaced. Some people might get a bit touchy about you replacing their container, so only do this if absolutely necessairy.

C. You were fine, keep up the good work!

D. I've been known to drop off new pens or pencils in caches that needed them, or to try and dry out the cache a little bit, but I haven't really run into any situations where a cache needed more than that...

E. I'd fire off an email to the owner just to explain in detail what you did, and discuss any important issues with the cache.

And anyway, like I said, you're doing fine, keep up the good work!

Wow.. I think what you did was in the true spirit of Geocaching. I cannot think of any reason why I wouldn't appreciate someone doing that for me. Many of us know how it feels to have a good cache trashed, and any help is apprecated IMO.

I always carry around extra ZL bags when im caching and always have added "Stuff" to add to a cache whether its ruined/empty/wet. I dont know of the rules, written or unwritten, however, unless there was a really specific reason they didn't want someone tampering with it, I wouldn't see any problem. Chances are, if there is a reason that you shouldn't tamper with the cache, it would be noted in the details I would imagine.

I will never understand ignorant geomuggles! ;)

WOW!

Thanks Swifter - ;)

It might have been muggled but I have the feeling that it was not put back properly by someone who was there last (not necessarily the last one logged).

I was really suprised to find my first two caches in such great shape when I checked them last weekend. Only been out a few weeks but wanted to check them. Surprised? Ya - most of the caches I have found have been pretty saddly filled with the usual golf balls, stones, keys, etc. you know the drill.

I'd hope someone would do the same for one of my caches.

I would never change a container - don't carry them anyway. I do have two caches in my truck waiting for a good place to stash.

I just had a chance to do a little rehab today.

I saw that a cache that I have on my watchlist might be missing. I was on my way to do a little caching and decided to stop and check on the cache. Sure enough, it was gone.

Then I got to thinking. I had an extra container in the car. I also keep logbooks, pens, zip-locs, and, of course, trade items to do minor fixes when needed.

So I threw together a temorary cache and put it where I'd found it months ago. It was a great weekend for caching and didn't want anyone missing out on a find.

And now I need to go e-mail the owner to let them know what I did. I always send an e-mail even when I post in a find or note what I did. To me, it just seems more 'personal.'

Oh, yeah. One last thing. Whenever I make a change to someone's cache I do it with the idea that if the owner doesn't like what I did, I will undo it ASAP.

Just my dos pesos...

I re-habed a cache a few weeks ago. The previous logs said it was in bad shape so I knew it was in trouble before I went. The logs reporting damage dated back a year or more and it was easy to assume the owner had no further interest in caching.

I took a Rubbermaid container and a few swag items. I salvaged what I could from the original cache, but most was trash or water damaged.

OK, other side of the coin.

What about a cache that is missing and/or already archived, and the owner is pretty much inactive as far as caching goes.

Someone recently rehabbed a cache that was disabled and then archived over 2yrs ago. The original owner hasn't found a cache since 2001, and most of his other hides are slowing getting archived as they disappear.

Was it right to rehab a cache like this?

What about a cache that is missing and/or already archived, and the owner is pretty much inactive as far as caching goes.

Someone recently rehabbed a cache that was disabled and then archived over 2yrs ago.  The original owner hasn't found a cache since 2001, and most of his other hides are slowing getting archived as they disappear.

If the cache was archived 2 years ago, how will rehabbing help? They (the rehabber) cannot unarchive it. Maybe I'm missing something here. Was it re-listed as a new cache?

Edited by Stunod

It is best to just briefly mention the mess and rehab in the post, and then email a more detailed account privately to the owner. Sometimes they get testy when it looks like thier cache is horrible and had to be taken care of by someone else, even if this is the case.

Someone recently rehabbed a cache that was disabled and then archived over 2yrs ago.  The original owner hasn't found a cache since 2001, and most of his other hides are slowing getting archived as they disappear.

If the cache was archived 2 years ago, how will rehabbing help? They (the rehabber) cannot unarchive it. Maybe I'm missing something here. Was it re-listed as a new cache?

The Silver Cache hadn't been archived, but the owner had only placed this one cache and never found any. They hadn't been on the website in over a year. And the cache was slowly going downhill. <_<

My daughter, jenni-o, and I rehabbed the cache and tried to contact the owner without success. As you can see by the logs back in February, the cache was adopted by Byron&Anne. :) Since then it has been visited by 30-some cachers.

So, I guess that's how rehabbing can help. :mad:

No, the rehabber doesn't want to adopt it, nor does he want to submit it as new.

No, the rehabber doesn't want to adopt it, nor does he want to submit it as new.

I don't want to make an a** out of U or ME but I assume you're talking about a cache in Brooklyn. Did he do the right thing by replacing it? I don't think he did the wrong thing but if he has no intention of maintaining it (and I'm not saying that's the case) then why replace it in the first place? Certainly resurrecting an old cache is not necessarily a bad thing. IMO, certain cache are of some value to the history of the sport. The only problem now is who will maintain it if it IS unarchived. I don't see how the cache won't suffer the same fate as before due to lack of maintenance. IMO, If you're going to rehab an archived cache you should adopt it as well.

Hi,

I frequently do minor cache maintenance, and carry supplies in my backpack for just that purpose.

In May, I did a major overhaul on a cache that had been looted and trashed and moved about 150 yards, and was stacking up the DNFs...I supplied a new container, some trade items, and a log (pretty much the whole cache was a broken lump of sogginess).

Just a couple of days ago, I had the opportunity to help a geocacher who is currently serving in Iraq by replacing his cache (he asked me to look after his caches before he left) after it had been buried under construction rubble...it had been accumulating DNFs too. I'm grateful for his service, and for my small chance to help him out.

I think it is the responsibility of every cacher to help keep every cache they visit in good shape, and to help out with bigger help when it is appropriate or asked for, in order to keep a cache from disappearing (and also just to be a good neighbor).

just my $0.02 <_<

nfa

So...it's now a new box out in the woods without an active cache page? I'm still missing something....

I don't want to make an a** out of U or ME but I assume you're talking about a cache in Brooklyn. Did he do the right thing by replacing it? I don't think he did the wrong thing but if he has no intention of maintaining it (and I'm not saying that's the case) then why replace it in the first place? Certainly resurrecting an old cache is not necessarily a bad thing. IMO, certain cache are of some value to the history of the sport. The only problem now is who will maintain it if it IS unarchived. I don't see how the cache won't suffer the same fate as before due to lack of maintenance. IMO, If you're going to rehab an archived cache you should adopt it as well.

I think there comes a point where we should let a cache die and this is probably one of them. If its such a great area, there is no reason a new one can't be placed there.

Edited by briansnat

You did good,

I have only found one bad cache so far and I adopted that one.

There was also one that was missing I also adopted that one.

The rest I have found were in preaty good shape.

I have left a pen or two in a cache every now and then, but that is about it for any cache rehabbing I have done.

I think there comes a point where we should let a cache die and this is probably one of them. If its such a great area, there is no reason a new one can't be placed there.

I haven't found it so I can't speak to how the location is. Anyway it looks like the rehabber will be adopting the subject cache so essentially that is what happened. A new cache was placed. Also, we get to keep an old GC# for whatever that's worth.