Geowoodstock 3 Event

Now I have laid down the challenge if there is a group or organization out there who can top that then show us, The time has come to quit say coming here come there, stand up and show us all why Joe should consider your area for the unoffical National Convention of Geocachers. :P

My interpretation of The Great One's post is....

Put up or shut up!

Can everyone PLEASE keep this on topic and civil?

Florida in summer MAY be a good point- but why limit the time frame to summer? It could just as well be held in winter- quite a few people may like the chance to go somewhere warmer then, just an idea.

I was thinking of trying to contact some of the larger caching groups (or maybe cross posting to the local forums here) to get as much input from as many as possible. So far we have only heard from one, I think we may need to hear from more before a decision should be made. In the other thread I did mention Wisconsin and Michigan, both of which have VERY active orgs. Atlanta (specifically Stone Mt.) would be a good area too, altho I am not too familiar with the org. there. I would love to nominate Chicago, but at present our org. is not too cohesive.

My personal opinion as far as the 'numbers'- it should not necessarily be a huge part of where it is held. If it can be done great, if not that's fine too.

The advantage to summer is that it is easy to take the entire family. this will make easier for cachers with family attend, Also a location with other than goecaching activites would be an advantage for cachers with Spouces, Girl freinds or Boyfreinds. While the cacher is attending the geoche events his companions cna do other things. S.Ca. has Disnney Land, Universal Studios, SIx flags to mention just a few items and Floride offers many of the Same activites.

I just don't get it. Perhaps we need a new topic started. Topic being - "Where other people should co-host Geowoodstock III so it's convienient for me" or maybe "Dreamspots for future events".

This topic was started specifically to allow the public posting of offers to co-host Geowoodstock III (hopefully credible offers). Yet almost none of the posts involve that. They involve pointless opinions on where various individuals think it should or shouldn't be held (by others). Opinions are fine and we are all entitled to them, but in this particular thread, they are somewhat off topic. What is On Topic is people actully offering to make the commitment and do the work to co-host this event.

I just don't get it. Perhaps we need a new topic started. Topic being - "Where other people should co-host Geowoodstock III so it's convienient for me" or maybe "Dreamspots for future events".

Go for it ! I believe COD intended this thread to be a DISCUSSION regarding GW3. No where in his original statement does it say, "let's finalize GW3 so the good folks in Jacksonville can start planning..." With that said, might I suggest having the event at my winter home ... :o

BonnieJeansAlaskaTipi_tif.jpg

There is no need for this to deteriorate into a shouting / whining match. This is obviously a polarizing issue.

We are not discussing the last ever GeoWoodstock, just where its going to be held next year. And after that's settled, I'd be happy to start discussing plans for 2006 and how it can be handled there-after.

Let's approach it systematically -

First: Hear from as many states or groups that want to host the event and we can all evaluate what each area has to offer.

Second: Work out how to pick sites yearly - this is worth starting a new topic to work on since it is independent of GW-III

Can everyone PLEASE keep this on topic and civil?

I apologize if my post was not civil. The endless opinion and suggestion posts are getting tiresome. I would like to see other groups who are willing to host the event step up and make their pitch. For selfish reasons, I would actually prefer to go to Geo-3 in another area. No work involved and the ability to find caches in (hopefully) virgin territory would be great for ME but since it's not ALL ABOUT ME, I agree with my fellow NEFGA members that Jacksonville is most able to do justice to Geo-3. With that thought in mind, I have worked hard to make it happen. If some other group can best NEFGA's offer - bring it on! Competition for this event is a good thing. The cream WILL rise to the top.

Paintfiction

NEFGA Promotions Director

I personally have never cached Jax'ville, so I'm all for NEFGA's proposal ("virgin territory for Dave!"). I HAVE, however, cached Tallahassee and Orlando, which are both easy drives from Jax'ville, and both those areas have excellent caching...so if you're making a week of it, you've got LOTS of additional options in the region. Plus, as others have mentioned, you can extend your trip to nearby Orlando for all the family-friendly attractions the area has to offer. And furthermore, even closer to Jax'ville is St. Augustine, America's Oldest City and a FABULOUS place to spend a day or two exploring (and get your dinner at Columbia Restaurant...truly GREAT Cuban food!).

As for the weather in NE Florida in the Summer, well, it's pretty similar to the weather here in Biloxi, MS (and even a little bit more mild than Biloxi), and I'm here to tell you: Bring a couple extra changes of clothes, plenty of water and some bug spray, and you'll be FINE! I'm a New York transplant to this region, and carry over 300 lbs on my out-of-shape frame, and I cache in this climate this time of year JUST FINE. The weather is NOT a deterrent here.

From where I'm sitting, NEFGA has stepped up to the plate with an attractive proposal, plus the WILLINGNESS to organize and host the event...NO SMALL MATTER. Unless another region steps up with similar willingness, I don't see any downside to Jax'ville as the next host region.

-Dave R. in Biloxi

Edited by drat19

It is very obvious that no other group is going to step up to the plate, it has been 5 days since the original post and the ONLY team that is supporting GW3 is NEFGA. So who gets to make the final decision....because as I see it the answer is clear. Besides the fact that the Jacksonville cachers are so well orgainzed (www.nefga.com) another key point to remember for the # ho's is the volume of caches in the Jacksonville area....tons of caches for the #ho's to smile about.

Another point that I want to mention is that the Florida cachers also have a State caching website Florida caching and I already know that many of the smaller regional groups would step up tp the plate to help co-host the Jacksonville event.

Yet still no one steps up to the plate with a legitamate offer other than NEFGA.

to host an event with the scope and cost of Geowoodstock no one seems willing to step up and pay the price.

What's the deadline for response?

What's the typical attendance?

What was the cost in previous years?

What dates are the target?

There is a lot of information I don't see detailed out very well that would allow a group to make an educated offer. I wouldn't be willing to committ to planning a nation-wide event of growing stature without understanding at least the scope of attendance and cost I'd be committing to.

I will say this: MiGO is interested in hosting a Woodstock. If not this year, then another.

I have a feeling this will get to the point where we have groups queued up for 5 years into the future such that you have 4 years of prep time to raise funds and plan. I can see this growing into quite a large production in the future. I'm sure it's ratcheted up every year so far, understanding the progression thus far would assist all of us in this conversation.

Unless NEFGA is looking for an out on #3, I don't know why on earth we'd try to talk them out of it. :o It *is* an incredible undertaking to plan an event of this magnitude. If they are willing and able to do it, I say all the more power to them!

However, going forward, I think if Woodstock is going to be a roaming event - we should definitely have guidelines on how the selection is done and share the results and requirements for the event as they are incurred each year so those other organizations interested in hosting the future can think about finances and planning.

Yet still no one steps up to the plate with a legitamate offer other than NEFGA. 

to host an event with the scope and cost of Geowoodstock no one seems willing  to step up and pay the price.

What's the deadline for response?

There is a lot of information I don't see detailed out very well that would allow a group to make an educated offer. I wouldn't be willing to committ to planning a nation-wide event of growing stature without understanding at least the scope of attendance and cost I'd be committing to.

I will say this: MiGO is interested in hosting a Woodstock. If not this year, then another.

Unless NEFGA is looking for an out on #3, I don't know why on earth we'd try to talk them out of it. :o It *is* an incredible undertaking to plan an event of this magnitude. If they are willing and able to do it, I say all the more power to them!

Thanks Trippy for your excellent OT reply!

To answer your questions as best as I can:

Attendance for Geo-2 was 300-400 people as best as I can tell. JoeGPS could give you a better answer. I believe about 220 people took advantage of the excellent catfish meal offered and provided by the event.

Cost? no clue as to the actual figures for Geo-2 but the head count for food could allow one to estimate food costs, the excellet park system in Nashville provided the facilities (again no clue how much the cost was if any), there may be a requirement for a liability insurance policy for an event of this size.

July 4th weekend has been the date. We are assuming that will remain the same.

Groundspeak, Garmin, and Magellan all donated excellent prizes to be given away at the event. I don't think anyone left without a prize of some sort. Magellan even gave away one of their latest GPS units! (won by our friend Wimseyguy) I'm hoping Garmin will match or top that prize in Geo-3.

I hope this helped. I look forward to traveling to MiGO country to attend a future GeoWoodstock event!

Thank you for the vote of confidence!

Jim

From where I'm sitting, NEFGA has stepped up to the plate with an attractive proposal, plus the WILLINGNESS to organize and host the event...NO SMALL MATTER. Unless another region steps up with similar willingness, I don't see any downside to Jax'ville as the next host region.

-Dave R. in Biloxi

Thanks Drat!

For most of this information, look at the cache pages from the previous two... Geo1 had seventy or so people at it, Geo2 had 200+, so I don't think the numbers are there to give.

Cost involves renting a space for it somewhere, although alot of places if it's an outdoor pavillion either charge very little or charge and then refund most of whatever they charge after they know you left the space as clean as it was when you got there. And for the food, although if you ask anyone close enough to bring a dish and anyone that's traveling from a distance to bring papergoods or something else, you can defray costs that way - if you so chose. I do believe that one cacher donated all of the catfish that was at this year's event. Most people said it was good, although I didn't eat any of it, so I'll take their word on it.

With that said, I have to say that all of the 'complaints' about it being centrally located are a little off. GeoWoodstock was started as a way for the top cachers in the world to get together. Every person I know that I can list on that top 10 list are east coasters...

I do agree with Serenity Now, though, about regardless of where it is, never use the same location twice.

Note, too, that this is a good example of Americans being Americans. If this is an event for the top cachers in the WORLD, shouldn't we not just stay in the US for all of this? Not that that will ever happen, but if we're trying to be 'fair'......

It is very obvious that no other group is going to step up to the plate, it has been 5 days since the original post and the ONLY team that is supporting GW3 is NEFGA.  So who gets to make the final decision....because as I see it the answer is clear.  Besides the fact that the Jacksonville cachers are so well  orgainzed (www.nefga.com) another key point to remember for the # ho's is the volume of caches in the  Jacksonville area....tons of caches for the #ho's to smile about.

Thanks Nickie! SEE! It's not just us tooting our own horns!

From where I'm sitting, NEFGA has stepped up to the plate with an attractive proposal, plus the WILLINGNESS to organize and host the event...NO SMALL MATTER.  Unless another region steps up with similar willingness, I don't see any downside to Jax'ville as the next host region.

-Dave R. in Biloxi

Thanks Drat!

You're very welcome.

I would, however, recommend that before the event (should it be decided by "whomever" that Jax'ville gets to host it) maybe you publish somewhere a list of different local hiders' names so that visiting cachers can decide ahead of time whether to do "numbers runs" vs. "runs to experience the true hidden gem sights of the region". I've been to Jax'ville as a tourist before caching came about, and I know what a great area it is.

My point is, since several people have mentioned (touted!) the cache density there, and since I've also heard through the grapevine the types of caches that often means, I think you'd represent your region even better by also making sure you direct people to ALL the caches your region has to offer (since I've also heard that y'all have a lot of GREAT caches/locations in the area as well).

(Put this in the context of my various "cache/location quality" screeds I've posted on other threads, and I think you know what I'm talking about here).

-Dave R.

Edited by drat19

I've already endorsed JAX's nomination to host next year's event, but I'll do it again ;) . I'm not the one to say when this discussion should be shut down, and a decision made for 2005, maybe in another week or so? So far no other location has made a serious offer though.

If the father of Geowoodstock-JoGPS, and his Nashville crew truely are willing to let this become someone else's responsibility next year then so be it.

To answer drat19's quality/quantity issue I suggest the hosts and visitors do what we did this year: review the "best of" lists at the MTGC website. :)

If NEFGA already has that info listed at the website, then that is one item to check off of next year's TO DO list. :o

To answer drat19's quality/quantity issue I suggest the hosts and visitors do what we did this year: review the "best of" lists at the MTGC website.  :)

If NEFGA already has that info listed at the website, then that is one item to check off of next year's TO DO list.  :o

Great points and reminders, wg! ;) I would suggest that when the Event Cache page is posted, that a link be provided to such a resource (if it exists). Would be perfect for the visiting cachers, for planning purposes.

-Dave R.

Edited by drat19
You're very welcome.

I would, however, recommend that before the event (should it be decided by "whomever" that Jax'ville gets to host it) maybe you publish somewhere a list of different local hiders' names so that visiting cachers can decide ahead of time whether to do "numbers runs" vs. "runs to experience the true hidden gem sights of the region".  I've been to Jax'ville as a tourist before caching came about, and I know what a great area it is.

My point is, since several people have mentioned (touted!) the cache density there, and since I've also heard through the grapevine the types of caches that often means, I think you'd represent your region even better by also making sure you direct people to ALL the caches your region has to offer (since I've also heard that y'all have a lot of GREAT caches/locations in the area as well).

-Dave R.

Great minds think alike! We are ahead of you already. We have already discussed having several "cache tours" planned:

1. Numbers runs (naturally)

2. "Best in town" runs

3. Non-micro runs (we have a very large amount of regular containers)

4. 4WD runs (we have a lot of Jeep ownership in NEFGA so we would be able to offer seats on a limited and reserved basis to Geo-3 attendees)

5. "Oldest City" cache tour of St. Augustine

6. New world record numbers run (we already have an applicant for this one but there is room for more!)

As you can see, we are taking this event very seriously and are looking to raise the bar for future events.

Paintfiction

Even if another group wanted to make an offer for this year, I think it would be inappropriate to consider it. NEFGA has made a generous offer, I think we should thank them and take them up on it, supporting them as much as possible.

I've had the pleasure of interacting with NEFGA over the past months via Geommunity and I think they have the resources and ambition to see GW2005 through.

However, MiGO would like the opportunity to consider hosting GW2006. It will fall on our year to host the International Social that usually occurs between Ontario, Canada and ourselves and might provide a good opportunity to bring in some of our Canadian friends to GW, forgoing the IS for a year. Plus we'll be having the superbowl then so the whole Detroit area will be all made up purty.

You're very welcome.

I would, however, recommend that before the event (should it be decided by "whomever" that Jax'ville gets to host it) maybe you publish somewhere a list of different local hiders' names so that visiting cachers can decide ahead of time whether to do "numbers runs" vs. "runs to experience the true hidden gem sights of the region".  I've been to Jax'ville as a tourist before caching came about, and I know what a great area it is.

-Dave R.

Great minds think alike! We are ahead of you already. We have already discussed having several "cache tours" planned:

1. Numbers runs (naturally)

2. "Best in town" runs

3. Non-micro runs (we have a very large amount of regular containers)

4. 4WD runs (we have a lot of Jeep ownership in NEFGA so we would be able to offer seats on a limited and reserved basis to Geo-3 attendees)

5. "Oldest City" cache tour of St. Augustine

6. New world record numbers run (we already have an applicant for this one but there is room for more!)

As you can see, we are taking this event very seriously and are looking to raise the bar for future events.

Paintfiction

Wow, little did I know on my post that I was acting as "straight man" to PF, setting him up for the perfect follow-up.

THIS is what I've been talking about, both on this GW3 planning thread, and also my ongoing "cache location/quality" vs. "numbers-and-no-other-apparent-value caches" crusade. Folks have made the point that there's "something for everyone"...breaking a region's caches down like that DOES validate that, I must admit. (Plus, at least if I'm in the mood for a numbers run one day, I know in advance what I'm in for!).

KUDOS, PF! :o:)

-Dave R.

However, MiGO would like the opportunity to consider hosting GW2006.  It will fall on our year to host the International Social that usually occurs between Ontario, Canada and ourselves and might provide a good opportunity to bring in some of our Canadian friends to GW, forgoing the IS for a year. 

Sounds like a great idea to combine GW-IV and your IS event!! :o

Plus we'll be having the superbowl then so the whole Detroit area will be all made up purty.

I see a trend forming here... Jax has the superbowl next year then Detroit in 2006

For other enhancements we hope to add:

An offical camping area for those wishing to camp so pre and post woodstock get togethers are possible

we have been checking about local travel services.

local volunteers to help with transportation around town where needed

the wagon trains should offer something for everyone kind of cache tours

another idea we are kicking around is a number of record attempts possible before the event so the event can be a celebration type event.

One thing we would definetly like to see and this is an invitation to the following people should we recieve it . We would like to see as many of the admins as possible, as many of the top 10 as possible, and as many of the Groundspeak staff as possible.

more ideas to come. we don't want to give everything away.

I think our goal would be to top 400 cachers since we have held Florida events which have cleared 125 people. Also the event would be at least 2 days or possible 2 events the Campout event and then WoodStock 3. Also I am sure that we could set up each of the wagon trains as an event unto themselves with a special one time cache for the participants of theose events. we are looking foward to hearing from JoGPS on his decision. Thanks Jo for considering us for this oppurtunity.

the federation

President NEFGA

Pick

me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me

The most I have found in 24 hours is 42 ……………… JOE

Why do I find that hard to believe? :o

Do you really spend that much time on your beauty sleep? :D (It does show.)

I think our goal would be to top 400 cachers-the Federation

Sheesh I had to read this 2x, at first I read 'the top 400 cachers'! ;) That would be even more exclusionary than a MOC! :D But also motivation to keep those numbers up. :)

oh wait it's not ALL about the numbers. :):P

Pick

I'd be honored to navigate you into a new world record!

Has anyone considered Vegas in the winter?

You can always get a deal on a flight to Vegas from just about anywhere in the country...

Lots of meeting rooms...

The temps are perfect from November to March...

The dry desert is mosquito-free...

24-hour nonstop action!

Vegas, baby...who could ask for anything more?

Oh yeah I can see that conversation now-no really honey the next geowoodstockXX really is in Vegas! :o Honest I won't be doing anything but eating catfish and looking for geocaches. No gambling, no shows, no girlz... ;)

Back OT-is anyone in LV offering to host-there are 606 within 50 miles of zip 89101, and still 429 inside of 25 miles which isn't bad (even if half of the first page are virst and there are 3 disabled too ) :)

I think I'll let the JAX folks put up their number for comparison though.......

Here's some info on caches in Denver

From the Mousetrap (N39 43.577 W104 57.930) there are:

1067 caches within 100 miles

375 caches within 25 miles

148 caches within 10 miles

Denver's average temp around the 4th of July is in the mid to high 80's. There is always a chance of afternoon thunderstorms in the mile-high city. Colorado hosts a wide variety of caches, from challenging mountain hikes to easy urban walking trails.

I've read lots of opinions and some interesting stats, but I only see one serious offer. NEFGA has made a generous offer and shown that they already have an initial outline and an organization ready, willing and able to commit to this large task.

One thing that complicates this matter (for me) is "ownership" of Geowoodstock. Who really owns it to give away or select the next site? Arguments could be made for Nashville, the Community at large and others. I'm not even sure what I think the answer is. However, if JoGPS and the Nashville group have offered it up for another group to organize next year and have no objections to the JAX offer, I think JAX deserves very serious consideration, a quick decision and backing.

As others have alluded to, it takes more than a great place, it takes time and a committed organization with some resources to pull something like this off.

Let's let someone who is willing and has a legitimate offer on the table get started putting together a great 2005 event. In the meantime, we can turn our attention to how to select 2006 and beyond. I personally think that whichever group brews the best beer should be the host of the 2006 event!

I want a seat in the Jeep! If a future year is hosted by MIGO - I'm there! Never been to Denver but would love to visit. And it would be a blast to go back to central PA!

Folks:

No offense meant to any of the counterposts, but despite the fact that Nashville (home of GW2) is so cache-dense and how it seems like all anyone seems to want to talk about is the "numbers runs" that occurred while there, I haven't seen anyone from any local organizations (or even individuals) besides MiGO offer a legitimate PROPOSAL to counter Jax'ville's. All I see on these recent posts is "Wouldn't it be nice if it were held in so-and-so, and here are the numbers of caches there".

Hosting a growing event like GW takes a lot of planning and contributions from the local cachers; it's more than planting a stake in the ground and saying "Here's where the event will be", and it's more than just counting the number of caches in the region. Nashville's cachers hosted an EVENT (and apparently a darned-successful one!); the numbers of caches available in the area should be viewed as a BONUS for anyone wanting the hunt them while they were in town.

I can think of tens of cache-dense regions in the USA, but that doesn't mean that the local cachers are necessarily ready/willing to host an event like this. On this thread I see Jax'ville, and I see Detroit-area, and that's it so far.

Just my observation...

-Dave R.

(edit: I see Nittany Dave was typing the same point as me (above) at the same time!)

Edited by drat19

I liked the idea that whoever hosts the event will chose the next year's host but I don't think we should wait that long. We should give 2-3 year preparation time so we need to pick who will hold the event for 2006 and 2007 soon.

What I propose is to make some type of icon, plaque or thingy that can be passed at one GeoWoodstock event to the next year's host, sort of like they do at the olympics to give the torch to the next host country in the closing ceremony...

Jeez... now we need another topic to figure out what to pass on... :o

I would like to thanks everyone for there post and suggestions, there is a lot to be said about the Jacksonville folks willing to take on an event of this size.

I am working behind the scenes with others that have not posted to the forums about different things we cannot even discuss at this point.

A decision will be made in about two weeks as the place to hold the event and the date will follow that announcement, after the parties involved come to am agreement of sorts.

I will always be involved in Geo-Woodstock in one way or the other, I started the event , and if some of you don’t like that, then start your own, if you find that Elitist sorry, a lot of hard work by myself and others have that made it what it is today.

Will keep everyone updated …………….. JOE

I will always be involved in Geo-Woodstock in one way or the other, I started the event , and if some of you don’t like that, then start your own, if you find that Elitist sorry,  a lot of hard work by myself and others have that made it what it is today. 

Will keep everyone updated ……………..  JOE

We wouldn't have it any other way. It's yours to do with as you please. Of course, I realize you said that just to make SURE you are in the record holder's seat when the time comes.....

Denver's average temp around the 4th of July is in the mid to high 80's. There is always a chance of afternoon thunderstorms in the mile-high city. Colorado hosts a wide variety of caches, from challenging mountain hikes to easy urban walking trails.

From my home coordinates N 30° 19.018 W 081° 41.723 (Please no stalkers! This is the South and I am armed!)

1595 caches within 100 miles

734 caches within 25 miles

333 caches within 10 miles

I'm not slighting Denver. I'd LOVE to go caching in CO. I'm just posting this info for comparison.

I have posted a thread/note in the 'Organized Geocaching' forum. Hopefully some of the other organiztions will see it and respond.

Clearpath is right, I opened this thread in hopes of starting a discussion and making any decisions and plans as far as can be done in this venue.

Paintfiction: I'm sorry, my request for keeping on topic and civil was not directed at you, just wanted to nip things in the bud just in general. Also, if that 2nd slot stays open on the record run......

JoGPS: Please keep us updated.

From my home coordinates N 30° 19.018 W 081° 41.723 (Please no stalkers! This is the South and I am armed!)

1595 caches within 100 miles

734 caches within 25 miles

333 caches within 10 miles

I'm not slighting Denver. I'd LOVE to go caching in CO. I'm just posting this info for comparison.

I don't feel slighted at all by it. I currently live in Albuquerque; we don't even have 500 caches within 100 miles!

I posted the Denver numbers in part to show that there are enough caches in the area to make it a viable location for the event. Sure, it isn't all about the numbers, but that is part of the event (or was this year).

Lapaglia (president of C.A.C.H.E.) thought Denver didn't have enough to offer for this year's event, so it looks like we will concede to Florida. I'd like to host a couple more events before taking on something of this magnitude anyway. Plus, I won't be moving back to Colorado until early next year. I wouldn't want that to interfere with the event.

Sax Man's 2nd Annual Campout will be held near Colorado Springs next summer. I'll be sure and choose a date that doesn't interfere with GeoWoodstock. The 4th of July was my first choice since it offers the best chance of having good weather in the mountains, but I'll wait to pick a date until you guys do.

Paintfiction: I'm sorry, my request for keeping on topic and civil was not directed at you, just wanted to nip things in the bud just in general. Also, if that 2nd slot stays open on the record run......

Thank you for your kind words. As for the record run..... I'm thinking we may need to confiscate.... oops! I mean "borrow" IceCreamMan's Geo-van as it has doors on both sides and can easily accommodate 6 cachers on a high speed run.

3 spots taken....... 1 left..... we may haave to leave that open for a lottery.

and here I go again zooming OT! oops! ^_^

Straying OT also for just a sec- I have mixed feelings about being on the record numbers run. On one hand it would be a gas to be part of the team that raises the bar yet again, and to share 24 hours of the vehicular comraderie that Team CHB has enjoyed on our visits to Nashville. On the other hand you are pretty much wiped out for the following day's caching adventure.

Oh he11 count me in . Paint- you KNOW I'm the best wheelman you have had so far. B) (Besides it will probably take more than one driver for a 24 hour endurance run.)

Now we'll just have to figure out a way for me to visit JAX beforehand so I have a little familiarity with the local roads (like that really slowed me down in April! ^_^ )

This may turn into a record convoy! :P

Back OT-looks like no other region is willing/able to do GW3, so let's just sit back and let JoGPS and his folks work it out with the NEFGA folks, and someone just tell us where to show up next year! :DB):D

Oh he11 count me in . Paint- you KNOW I'm the best wheelman you have had so far. B) (Besides it will probably take more than one driver for a 24 hour endurance run.)

Now we'll just have to figure out a way for me to visit JAX beforehand so I have a little familiarity with the local roads (like that really slowed me down in April! ^_^ )

This may turn into a record convoy! :P

I can't argue that. You are a wheel man extraordinaire - even in a city you don't know! We maake a good team.

July 4th weekend has been the date. We are assuming that will remain the same.

Please note that GW1 was not held on the July 4th weekend, so to say it "has been the date" is a bit misleading as this is true only of GW2. I still think the date should vary along with the location to allow for as many different groups of cachers to attend. Maybe some year I would be able to attend on that holiday weekend, but I realize it's not about me--others have also mentioned it as a problem. No date is perfect and you certainly can't please everyone, but rotating site and location will allow some to attend that might otherwise always be shut out. Those that can attend on the 4th of July weekend one year may not be able to attend one in June but others could. Just alternating it between two dates would alleviate part of the problem. As it was on the July 4th weekend this year, couldn't it rotate back to June or another date for GW3?

Although I'm sure Jacksonville/NEFGA will do a great job if chosen and they appear more than capable of providing a wonderful event, I do feel that things are moving much more quickly than mtn-man recommended when he mentioned earlier in this thread to allow discussion for at least 60 days, not just one to two weeks. Surely allowing two months of discussion would still allow enough time to plan, a minium of six months even if the event was hosted as early as March, an unlikely prospect. Of course, I realize JoGPS is one of the event's originators so he has the right to decide within the next two weeks. I just don't think that many in the gc community will be aware of it in time to provide input if that is truly desired.

Is this the best way to plan what appears to be a nationwide invitation, listing it in one forum thread? I'm sincerely asking, not trying to be critical, and completely agree that NEFGA has made the best offer so far. What about the other proposals Corp of Discovery mentioned, contacting the state/area organizations instead of waiting for them to read this thread and creating a committee? The thread Corp of Discovery opened in the other area is a good idea, though this thread was originally stated to be for any GW3 planning/discussion, not just for offers.

Has a decision been reached on this? I agree with nittany dave that we owe NEFGA serious consideration and a quick answer. They will need as much time as possible to organize this.

But I also wonder about the other part of his post. Who's decision is it? We need to identify a decision making person/group/process for this if it's to be a travelling event year to year.

I talked to our Board of Directors and most of the Executive Committee hopefuls about 2006 at an event this weekend and the consensus is that we want to make a strong bid for 2006. In fact, our planning committee chair is already researching locations convinient to the Ohio/Indiana/Illinois/Michigan border in Michigan that can host at least 1000 attendees.

I have seen our big local event grow by about 100% each year we've had it. This event is showing the same trend and with the pool of possible attendees being on a national scale and as this event grows in profile - I wouldn't be suprised to see GeoWoodstock exceed this rate of growth. Especially since by the documented estimates of past attendees, it's already hit a 300% per year increase in attendance.

This means that by 2006 the attendance at this event could easily (and I might venture to say probably will be) be in the neighborhood of 1500 cachers. Organizations hoping to plan a successful woodstock will need a lot of time to prepare. Which is one reason I'm asking pretty pointedly about getting a decision maker in place. This will help NEFGA get a go/no-go for 2005 and will allow other groups to begin seeking 2006.