Beads In Caches

I've noticed a lot of 'Mardi Gras' style beads being part of the cache swag lately. Is this just a Midwest thing or what? The beads are usually cheap plastic crap and many times tangled up so bad they are useless. Anyone else see these colorful strings of junk? Does anyone out there trade for the plastic 'string o' pearls'. Other than using them at Mardi Gras, what good are they?

I've noticed a lot of 'Mardi Gras' style beads being part of the cache swag lately. Is this just a Midwest thing or what? The beads are usually cheap plastic crap and many times tangled up so bad they are useless. Anyone else see these colorful strings of junk? Does anyone out there trade for the plastic 'string o' pearls'. Other than using them at Mardi Gras, what good are they?

I'm sure the cachin' kids would like them. I've never seen one in a midwest cache, however...

Beads...

I guess they have to come from somewhere to be thrown...

In the meantime, I've seen a few even here in Boston but I usually leave them unless I plan on going to another geocache that day (and that one might have cooler things). I think most of our's come from St. Patty's Day though..

There's one pair of cachers locally that leave mardi gras beads as their signature item. The beads are in a plastic bag with an identification card for the cachers. I've traded for that item once. The other time I took beads from a cache I just gave them to my younger sister (later they broke...).

Those come with logos that the promopeddler people screen on.

These may be more what you were thinking. $4.95 for 144 of them (about 4 cents per string). Oriental Trading is always cheaper for these types of things.

$4.95 per 12 dozen? That's GROSS! :D

I've noticed quite a few people leaving them in caches here in the bay area lately. I actually don't know anything about how they are normally aquired. I feel so out of the "loop". :D

--Marky

Hey Clearpath,

Michelle and I just got back home from your neck of the woods, and noticed the same thing. We were almost expecting to find something like them in your micros in the park off of 151. LOL Probably will not log our finds until Saturday, but we really enjoyed our rest in that park. I wish the "city parks" here in Houston were that nice. Swimming pool, miniature golf, ball fields, soccer/lacrosse fields, batting cages.... That was some park.

Back on topic. We really did notice allot of the beads in the caches we did in the mid-west, but have no idea why. Most of the ones we saw were not the "traditional Mardi grass colors". Maybe it is a cheap marketing ploy by the manufacturer to start a new trend, get everyone hooked, then charge out the kazoo for them in the malls :D

Oh yea. We also stopped in Oklahoma and there was a huge bronze statue by the artist that did your avatar (similar warrior) and I took a picture for ya.

Hey Clearpath,

Michelle and I just got back home from your neck of the woods, and noticed the same thing. We were almost expecting to find something like them in your micros in the park off of 151. LOL Probably will not log our finds until Saturday, but we really enjoyed our rest in that park. I wish the "city parks" here in Houston were that nice. Swimming pool, miniature golf, ball fields, soccer/lacrosse fields, batting cages.... That was some park.

Back on topic. We really did notice allot of the beads in the caches we did in the mid-west, but have no idea why. Most of the ones we saw were not the "traditional Mardi grass colors". Maybe it is a cheap marketing ploy by the manufacturer to start a new trend, get everyone hooked, then charge out the kazoo for them in the malls  :(

Oh yea. We also stopped in Oklahoma and there was a huge bronze statue by the artist that did your avatar (similar warrior) and I took a picture for ya.

I wondered when I was going to hear from you ... I was in the park recently exercising and happened to read the logs of the micros and saw your entry. I was hoping it was you. Glad you liked the park and please send me the photo of Enoch's statue (I'll send you my e-mail).

BTW- I ended up buying a poster print of the warrior from your friend at the gallary. It's one of my favorite pieces of art. Wish I could afford the original ...