First To Find

nfa

Hi,

I'm setting up a fiendishly hard puzzle cache, and would like to have a huge FTF prize to motivate people to work through frustration to try and find the cache. Which would you prefer...a $100 bill or an Etrex GPSr (or something else...give examples).

Thanks,

nfa

Please place this cache near me!!! :(

From my experience, the people who will go for the insanely challenging caches will do it regardless of whether or not there's a hefty FTF prize. Check out all the people trying to go after this cache!

Being that I already have three GPSr's, I wouldn't have use for an eTrex...but I'd love to find something nice I could use while geocaching in a cache! Being wary of leaving cash in, um, a cache (that sounds odd), maybe a gift certificate?

Now LB&MM you know we aren't supposed to leave food in caches. :(

Cash is always nice, the finder already has a perfectly goo working GPSr-otherwise they wouldn't have found the cache. Is there a theme to the puzzle that would lend itself to an appropriate gift/prize perhaps? Maybe just a gift certificate to REI or another local outdoor equp. vendor. Maybe they might even donate it or play let's make a deal?

:(

Hey - it FREE - who's complaining!?! :P

Sounds Great to me - would rather have a Magellan but hey what can I say? :(

I don't know where NFA is but it looks too far for me to find it !! DRAT!

I applaud your generosity. "Illegitimis non carborundum"

Edited by CompuCash

YOu might want to consider NOT mentioning the FTF prize on the cache page. Sure, $100 will get more people then usual to work on it, but once someone grabs that FTF, those just out for the $100 wont even bother finishing.

If you put the $100 in the cache and don't mention it, you'll be rewarding those who are doing your cache because they WANT to do your cache, not because they are greedy. On top of that, it will keep them guessing on all your future hides. They won't know when the next one might also have a cool FTF.

I would much rather people find my caches for the fun of geocaching, rather then the chance to win big money.

Rather than a GPS why not a gift certificate to a local shop that sell GPS products, this way the finder would have the option of a GPS or software or some other item that might be needed. I like the idea of a prize. I recently set up a crossword puzzzle cache, but only have had a couple of finds on it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...58-019900c4289a

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I placed a very hard one with NOTHING in the cache, just a logbook and some spare TP. This ensures that only hardcore people will go, who want to experience the fun of the journey and don't care about the reward.

I might put a jeep in there though, just for fun.

I think you should set your limit on how much you want to spend, and put that info on a card. Then you should leave the card with contact info and the explination of what you are doing in the cache. The FTFer will get an "account" with you and then when they want to purchase something geo related you buy it for them.

Or you could do the cache.

BTW I agree with Mopar when he says keep it quiet.