Snowdon Summit

You walking or riding up Seasider? :D

MarcB

Well, I went on a CAMRA beer crawl 10_7_2.gif last weekend by steam train 3_2_113.gif so I'll be riding up as I like unusual train journeys!

Good luck to everyone walking up! 26_18_2.gif

Cheers! 6_15_11.gif

Seasider

Edited by Seasider

If any who intends camping for the event, would like to volunter to act as the Camping coordinator, please let me know. And I'll stick your name on the cache page as such. Also I'm looking for somewere for everyone to rendevous at once we're all down, even if it's somewere just to get a cuppa. The cache page is virtualy finnished, so hopefully will be going before our "Fantastic" approvers (not creeping, honest :unsure:) within 48hrs

Not sure if we'll be able to come but...........

The Forestry Commission campsite at Beddgelert is quite nice and has all the facilities required.

There is also one in Nant Peris on a farm. It's a bit basic, but is mid-way between Pen-Y-Pass (hooray for the walkers) and Llanberis (boooo for the traineeeesters).

You probably already all know this, but to be sure of a space in the Pen-Y-Pass car park you have to get there quite early.

16_4_73.gif

Edited by Nick & Ali (nicktinknick)
Attention all Hardwayers! You may like to look at the following website:

www.adventuredolphin.co.uk

Down the left hand side of the home page click on Hill Walking - Kit List.

Some very useful information!

Beat you to it Paul a link to Kit List has been put on the cache page ;). Along with a disclaimer to make sure the "Hard Striders" group, can't sue poor me ;), or you over getting a few blisters :D (I have had several emails about liability and insurance).

Would it be possible to go the hard way up and the easy way down?

MarcB

Seats from the summit are on an availability/stand by only basis, and can't be prebooked. As the cost would be the same as a seat booked with the group, I can look into the possibility of booking you a seat with the group, with the intention of you only using the return journey of the booking. Give me a shout if you are interested.

Dave

I am really interested in hitting the summit of Snowdon, but only by foot i'm afraid :P After doing Nevis I set myself a goal of reaching the peaks of England, Wales, Ireland and N.Irelad also! i'm sure you lot will have a really good time though, nice idea!

You could get my cache in Carrauntohill

There's none on Slieve Donard (highest mountain in the six counties).

I have no plans to put one there.

The Pyg Track

Did it up and down in 4 hours at the completion on 3 Peaks. Harder coming down remember. Just spoke to my dad who was up there last weekend and they could not see a thing, and it was wet. Have to book up in advance to go up on the train (otherwise 90 minute wait) and if you are coming back down on it they only give you a half hour up there. so watch out.

Prey for good weather!

An option for those cachers planning on staying in the area on Friday/Saturday nights is the YHA Hostel at Pen-y-Pass. One obvious advantage being that this is the start point for the walking party, and if you are staying on Friday you will definately have a parking space on Saturday morning!! It is also only 5 miles from the Snowdon Mountain Railway in Llanberis!! so is perfect for both parties.

I have e-mail the hostel to check if there is a group rate, although at £11.80 for adults and £8.50 for under 18's per night, the std rates are not bad. The hostel sleeps 84, does breakfast, picnic lunch and evening meals. It has wheelchair access, camping facilities and plenty of space so would be ideal for a get together afterwards as well (bring your own beer?)

For further info see www.yha.org.uk/hostel/hostelpages/236.htm

Yes please Dave - I want to come but it will have to be the train. We will be returning from holiday in the Dovey Valley.

All I have to do now is sort out transport back to Lancashire as I doubt if my wife will want to hang aroung Llanberis for some hours and we rode the train up last year. This time the company will be better though!

All I have to do now is sort out transport back to Lancashire as I doubt if my wife will want to hang aroung Llanberis for some hours and we rode the train up last year.  This time the company will be better though!

:lol: John , We will gladly give you a lift back if you need it. :o

Are we all travelling back in a caching convoy like last time?

T

I've got quite a busy period coming up now so to help me keep an eye on who's walking I'd like to start the ball rolling on names:

House of Boo (Peter and Boo) (1 + 1)

harold1066

wildtrekker

BugznElm'r

Simply Paul

markandlynn (2)

MarcB

Pyoung1s

I make that 9 + 1 dog.

Appologies if I've missed anyone. Please keep me up dated. I'll publish the timeline for the walk soon!

All I have to do now is sort out transport back to Lancashire as I doubt if my wife will want to hang aroung Llanberis for some hours and we rode the train up last year.  This time the company will be better though!

:lol: John , We will gladly give you a lift back if you need it. :o

Are we all travelling back in a caching convoy like last time?

T

:( We are up for the convoy back to Lancashire :P

OK High Striders, here's something for you all to ponder over the next few weeks! The timeline for the stroll up the mountain is as follows:

Meet at 08:30 SH6474255542 Pen-y-Pass car park - height 350 metres.

Set off when ready, no later than 09:00. Please be prompt!

The sooner we get going the more time we'll have for breaks and the less pressure we'll put on ourselves to make the 12:00 meeting with the Lazy Rackers at the summit station!

(Timings based on 09:00 dep, all measurements in metres, average speed 2270 metres/hour)

Stage 1 to SH6407755392 water course arr 09:20 dep 09:26

dist 770 ht 427 climb 77 (10%)

Stage 2 to SH6310255102 track junction arr 09:57 dep 10:04

dist 1160 ht 589 climb 162 (14%)

Stage 3 to SH6150754872 Miners Track junction arr 10:54 dep 11:07

dist 1910 ht 783 climb 194 (10%)

Stage 4 to SH6077254857 Llanberis Path junction arr 11:33 dep 11:40

dist 1000 ht 975 climb 192 (19%)

Stage 5 to SH6093254332 Summit Cafe/Station arr 11:56

dist 590 ht 1065 climb 90 (15%)

Please read and digest the kit list information from the link on the cache page paying particular attention to footwear. I shall be carrying the following emergency items; first aid kit, survival bag, lightweight walking rope and walkie talkies. If you can also pack the above items that would be a bonus but you should at lease have a whistle and personal first aid kit. Your GPS will provide emergency navigational aid but make sure you pack sufficient spare batteries! No matter what the conditions make sure you carry plenty of fluids! Considering the rocky terrain a walking stick will make life more comfortable especially on the descent. If you would like an A4 sheet 1:50000 OS map of the area please let me know and I'll print you one off.

The plan is to visit any trigs/caches during the descent however this can be reviewed depending on our ascent progress.

If you have any concerns/questions please do not hessitate to ask. Oh, and please don't have any nightmares!

I have a spare ticket for the train as the person I was going with now can't make it (she prefers a trip to Leeds the following weekend :o:(:(;):P )!!

However, I'm still coming but want to make it a two day caching trip as I've not done any serious caching for many a month now :D so will be stopping over on the Saturday night.

Hence my question......where is everyone else staying? Camping, hotel or B&B??

Cheers!

Seasider