Scottish Geocachers Days Out

Myself and Roolku will also be with TartanT if he ever gets the bookings sorted out. If you see 3 tents at the entrance to the gates. That will be us.

Do they have allocated pitches at the site, or can we just go where we like? It would be good if we were in a bunch together perhaps?

One Q..... Are the midges in August any worse than they are at the beginning of July? I must admit to never slowing down or stopping long enough to let the little blighters land on me when I was doing our Three Peaks Challenge last year, but this time I expect to be relaxing by the tents for many hours in the evenings.

Assuming the midges are still little beggars, what is the recommended lotion to keep them away? Expedition 50?

Cheers!

Stuey :blink:)

One Q..... Are the midges in August any worse than they are at the beginning of July?

In my experience they are the worst in August. I will be wearing the midge-net I swapped at the 2nd Scottish Cache Bash. :lol: Now I just have to work out how to drink beer while wearing it. :blink:

Roolku

Myself and son have booked a pitch. Don't worry, I wont have any of your beer. If he wants to get up in the morning and get up that mountain, my son won't be having any either.

Why Ms Forth.... do I detect just the slightest hint of disapproval?? :blink:

Surely all the best adventures start the night before with some quaffing and carousing, just to placate the small gods and ensure the success of the quest.

By the way, has anyone thought to lay on some wenches???.... Errrr.... I think perhaps I'd better re-phrase that :lol:;):lol:;)

I've never had a "bing-bong" Avon calling lady at the house..... where can I get some please?

EDIT: Silly me..... I Googled and found it online.

FURTHER EDIT: Good grief!!! Talk about a MASSIVE range! Which is the best solution then???

Edited by Stuey

Never heard of this midge repellent before - will get some. However, I very much doubt that I will manage to persuade 15 year old son to put some on, even if I do tell him that the army uses it! He reads the fine print of all containers of lotions and potions and if there is any hint of it being aimed at females then he wont touch it. Something to do with adolescence I guess.

However, I very much doubt that I will manage to persuade 15 year old son to put some on, even if I do tell him that the army uses it!  He reads the fine print of all containers of lotions and potions and if there is any hint of it being aimed at females then he wont touch it.  Something to do with adolescence I guess.

Had a Group of Kids (325) up the hills 3 weeks ago with same attitude! until the breeze drops then the Midgies arrived they then coated themselves in anything that will keep them away!, including mud!

Tried DEET but melted watchface, Skin So Soft much friendlier and cheaper

:o

Tried DEET but melted watchface, Skin So Soft much friendlier and cheaper

Now its really nice that the visitors are being offered some hope , but the sad truth is "They will have you whatever you wear" ....... only 2 solutions exist:-

1.Don't exhale (its the CO2 that gives you away).

2.Condor ready rubbed ..

Hmm tough choice here ...well don't say you weren't warned :o:o;)

Midgies ...a preview Whats to come

Long way off yet I know but the website I use for looking up the weather has a 10 day forecast and is showing Fort William as Dry, Sunny with Broken cloud for Sat/Sun 14/15th, Temps around 20 deg, Light winds. (Just right for the midges) B)

Lets hope it stays like that. :mellow:

Long way off yet I know but ..........

It's not that long to go... a week has a habit of rapidly becoming just a day or two :D:D and I still have quite a lot of preparation to do.

Incidentally, are you guys from the south west driving all the way up to Fort William in one day? I'm starting out Friday afternoon and camping Friday night at Cove Park camp site just outside Penrith. I'll drive the rest of the way on Saturday.

Here is a list of people that I have got as attending the event. They don't include the amount of people with you, as long as your screenname is there we are happy.

Going for Option 1 with Haggis Hunter -

TartanT

Roolku

Firth of Forth

The Molinnis Crew

Pooter

Pharisee

Stuey

Woodworm

douglouse & geocache jeremy

Tupperware Party

Going for Option 2 with Ullium -

allieballie

Thunderbird 30

If I have missed anyone out then please let me know.

Long way off yet I know but the website I use for looking up the weather has a 10 day forecast and is showing Fort William as Dry, Sunny with Broken cloud for Sat/Sun 14/15th, Temps around 20 deg, Light winds. (Just right for the midges) :smile:

Lets hope it stays like that. :ph34r:

Mike is it possible for you to put up a link for the website.

Thanks

Would anyone who is coming to the meet have a set of unactivated travel bug tags which they would be willing to sell to me.

I was hoping to release a new bug whilst in Scotland but have just discovered I have run out of tags and its doubtful I could get any delivered before Friday without paying over the odds in delivery charges. :huh:

Would anyone who is coming to the meet have a set of unactivated travel bug tags which they would be willing to sell to me.

I was hoping to release a new bug whilst in Scotland but have just discovered I have run out of tags and its doubtful I could get any delivered before Friday without paying over the odds in delivery charges. :huh:

I'll be ordering some today, if they arrive in time you're welcome to one of 'em.

I'm now hoping to come over for this event, B) though I may meet you possibly on the summit as I have plans for an ascent via the infamous Carn Mor Dearg Arete. I will be travelling over on the Sunday morning (weather and road works permitting at Laggan) so someone else can have my beer.....:DB)

As the Kingshouse is in the opposite direction from home, I probably won't make the "after event swally" :oB)

Edited by HighlandNick

Just a quick note to wish everyone a safe journey on their travels to Glen Nevis over the next couple of days. :mad:

The forecast isn't looking that great for Sunday but I have a feeling we will still have a great time. :P

Just wondering if it was not too late for someone to phone Glen Nevis campsite in the morning to ask if it was possible to put us all in the same area together. I would offer to do it but I will be sleeping off the effects of tonights night shift.

This is the last chance I will have for checking for people wanting to come. If anyone wants to come after this and is not on the list, they are more than welcome but will have to ensure that they meet up at the given times.

Option 1 meeting Haggis Hunter

TartanT

Roolku

Firth of Forth

The Molinnis Crew

Stuey

Pooter

Pharisee

Woodworm

Tupperware Party

Pyoung1s

Highland Nick, possibly at the top.

Option 2 meeting Ullium

allieballie

Thunderbird 30

Hope to see you all Saturday night Sunday morning :mad:

This is the last chance I will have for checking for people wanting to come.

Option 1 meeting Haggis Hunter

The Molinnis Crew

Stuey

Woodworm

Hope to see you all Saturday night Sunday morning :mad:

We're making our final preparations (except Mike(Molinnis), he's probably sleeping in Cornwall after the night shift). Doug(louse) in Plymouth is probably packing his stuff. Trevor (Woodworm) in East Devon is working today (poor bu66er), and I am taking it easy checking up on the caches and then I'll get packing.

So, the four of us will see you tomorrow!

Celtic Blessing (for Cachers)

May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind be always at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face,

May your blisters all be small one's,

May there be a breeze to keep the Midgies away,

May God hold you in the palm of his hand and help steady your GPS.

Would love to be there but out on the Cateran Trail this Weekend

Enjoy

Snaik

:mad:

Well, I'm first home, and I can report that a very successful day was had by all. A great idea, and one that has obviously attracted a lot of interest (over 6500 hits!) The weather was almost reasonable, light winds, with just a hint of dampness around the summit. And the midgies stayed away. And the beer garden at the foot of the Ben was bathed in summer sunshine once we returned. And we found the caches OK. And.... what else?? Oh yes, where's the next one? :P:P:huh::D:anibad::wacko:

Back home 9pm after nipping in at the Kingshouse Hotel. Highland Nick has summed the day up well. Everyone made it to the top - varying times of between 2.5 and 4 hours - youth and long legs helped!

Discussion was already taking place about a possible venue for another day out. So far (and I'm sure that there will be more) the suggestions that I have heard are:

Snaik's Cateran Trail

Water of Leith Walkway

Isle of Arran

Ascent of Ben Macdui - to take in 'Another failed climbing stash' and 'Summit to the sea - the summit' (is this Britain's 2nd highest cache?)

Thanks to Haggis Hunter and Ullium for organising everything. Perhaps we should start a new thread for another event - this one must have set a record by now??

Glad you all made it up the mountain ok :P You dont mention if everyone got back down :wacko::anibad: I would of loved to climd the Ben but I think I need a bit more practice before attempting it. Oh yes and money and time as they seem to be on short supply this summer. Just bought a Kayak and gear a gps60cs and planning a new laptop. I think I will need to hibernate this winter to stop me spending all my beer tokens!!

Cheers

Donnie

Unless there is another cache on Ben Nevis, then indeed the "Summit" of the "Summit to Sea" series is indeed the second highest in Britain, as MacDui is the second highest peak. It is a virtual cache though, but without it, you can't complete the full series and then get to the cunningly hidden final cache. :D:(;)

Was I the only one to take Scotlands First and Britains highest over the weekend? (He writes, not meaning to advertise the fact... much!) With the trig on Ben More that was a cool 2517 meters worth of Munros in 36 hours! For pretenders to the crown of "Prince of Darkness" read my Scotlands First (GCF0) log and weep! Like I'm doing now as my poor legs are so sore!

Great event and great company. Many thanks to everyone for a most enjoyable weekend!

-

Nick, that's Ben Nevis, Ben MacDui and Ben More caches, where do you recommend for my next Highland leg trashing outing?!

Edited by Pyoung1s

PS Avon Skin So Soft does work - you can see the midgies hovering about a foot away from your face after applying it. However, it seems that you need to reapply it regularly as the effect wears off.

Either that, or go for Rollku's strategy of wearing a midgie net - however you may end up looking like an alien being. Go on HH - post the photo that you took of him!

My wife Angela suffered (she thinks as they didn't leave an itchy bump LOL) only two midgie bites over the two days of caching in the worst midgie conditions I have experienced for years. There were points when I could see her and Allieballie's faces almost covered in midgies....and of course myself :)

Her secret...Garlic tablets taken for three of four days previously.

Ullium.

Edited by Ullium

Don't know about vitamin B or E but those piranha flies were getting plenty of vitamin P over the weekend! Worst spots (excuse the pun) were WHW 5 Rannock Moor where I nearly had to abandon the cache in mid log! Rock Hopper was next trying to write carefully on wet paper whilst providing them with a lunch time snack! And how many tourists stood on the top of Ben Nevis and said "I'm not going back down there until they've all gone away!"

Glad to read, Ullium, that it's not normally as bad as it was over the weekend!