Scottish Geocachers Days Out

Hi allieballie :(

of course alleiballie the wee man is more than welcome as far as I'm concerned ... how is he being carried? .... the reason I ask is that if I get knackered can I hop in and join him :laughing::blink::(

I would be obliged if you can get me details of "The Red Fox" as I cant seem to find it!?

Angela and I are so looking forward to meeting you all :(

Cheers,

Ullium.

The Death of Power is a, to quote

"strenuous 6 hour walk (round trip)to one of the strangest sites of Scotland’s industrial history."

I think this could be one for another scottish cachers day out sometime later seeing as it's such a long walk.

Thanks TartanT :laughing:

so that leaves us with :-

1) Waterfall and ruin by togill (GCHTPP)

2) WHW Day 8 (The End Is Nigh) by Pooter (GCJBF1)

3) WHW Day 7 (The Devil's Staircase) by Billy Twigger (GCJDYF)

4) Highland Cache by The Clangers (GC49F9)

5) Rock hopper by Zcat & Porcupique (GC4B33)

6) WHW Day 6 (Rannoch Moor) by Flyfishermanbob (GCJ92A)

And that seems more than enough to be going on with :blink:

Any more suggestions?

Ullium.

so that leaves us with :-

1) Waterfall and ruin by togill (GCHTPP)

2) WHW Day 8 (The End Is Nigh) by Pooter (GCJBF1)

3) WHW Day 7 (The Devil's Staircase) by Billy Twigger (GCJDYF)

4) Highland Cache by The Clangers (GC49F9)

5) Rock hopper by Zcat & Porcupique (GC4B33)

6) WHW Day 6 (Rannoch Moor) by Flyfishermanbob (GCJ92A)

And that seems more than enough to be going on with :laughing:

Any more suggestions?

Ullium.

I think that will be plenty to keep you occupied for a few hours, but it doesn't hurt to keep your eyes open for any more, better prepared than not to be.

In the military we have a saying don't forget your 7 P's

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance. :(:blink:

What I would suggest is making sure that you all look at the cache listings before going, so you'll know if you'll be able to do it or not.

What I would suggest is making sure that you all look at the cache listings before going, so you'll know if you'll be able to do it or not.

Good advice HH :blink:

Anyone who thinks any of the caches listed are outwith their capabilities let me know and we can have a re-think :laughing:

Ullium.

Edited by Ullium
What I am saying is talk to people and see if you can share transport if you are stuck, even if you are just going out for a days caching.

HH makes a very good point here.

It makes no sense for a dozen different cachers to travel the same road in a dozen different cars to the same destination with two or three empty seats in the car when by prior arrangement a carsharing deal can be worked out. I'm not suggesting sharing petrol money. That's tacky. But sharing cars on a loosely rotating basis, not necessarily with exactly the same cachers on each occasion, but a general sharing of personal transport resources, makes a lot of sense.

Geocaching is, after all, all about altruism. We help eachother all the time. It's the fundamental basis of geocaching. It's a selfless thing.

A few weeks ago, a few days before the Aviemore Cachebash, I was driving across the Friarton Bridge very late at night at 70mph (Honest, M'Lud!), when my car's timing belt snapped. The overhead cam driven valvegear collided with the piston crowns and the result was that my engine was expensively converted into a useless box of shrapnel. Repair was delayed by indecision over whether it was economic to repair the wretched thing, but anyway I had no chance of making it to Aviemore, even once I unexpectedly found that I would not be obliged to work the whole of that weekend.

My car's absence caused me to think long and hard about the whole car issue. It also made me think about cars and geocaching.

I've been geocaching for a little over half a year now and I've always considered non-urban caching to be a walking thing, mostly a hillwalking thing. After my pensive reconsideration, I now realise that it's actually a driving thing.

I belatedly made a tentative hint to a fellow geocacher that I might enjoy being offered a lift to Aviemore, but was brusquely rebuffed with "I wouldn't want to cart you around" (sic). I don't think that is a representative or widespread attitude amongst the geocaching community. I asked the wrong person. I think most cachers would do better than that.

I was demoralised from asking any others and so I set the concept to one side.

HH's suggestion has relit my idea of car-sharing. My reasonably large saloon car is now fully repaired and hot to trot, so I'm eager to promote the concept of carsharing for jaunts such as have been proposed by FoF.

I think most solo drivers to a cache might well consider giving a lift to fellow geocachers if it is known that several will visit one or more particular locations on an agreed day, even if it's only a one-off.

I can think of several advantages.

We in Britain are very eager taxpayers, aren't we boys and girls?! We have some of the highest petrol prices in the world and we just love to shove dollops of £40 a time through our filler caps into Citizen Broon's warchest, don't we?

Do we really think it's clever to drive in loose formation convoy up the M90/A9/A82/whatever, with empty carseats beside and behind us?

Another reason is a social one. Part of the fun of a cachebash or a gagglecache is gossiping with fellow geocachers. Why limit such blethering to an apres-cache pissup? Why not also chat in a car on the two or three hour drive to and from the meet?

Yet another reason is that having a swally or three of the amber nectar at the apres-cache rendezvous is totally incompatible with driving. By carsharing, we can enable twothirds or perhaps threequarters of the occupants of a shared car to have something a little stronger than a sugar-laden and insipid cola or fruitjuice.

I think it would make more sense to arrange pre-agreed pickup/setdown points at strategic public transport and carparkable nodes such as Dalmeny railwaystation, Inverkeithing Park'n'ride and Perth railwaystation and make arrangements to share otherwise empty car seats.

Matching suitable bums to suitable seats seems to me to be an eminently practical idea.

Just an idea, and I apologise for my thread-drift. Perhaps I should have started a new thread, but it was HH's post which set me off.

Cheers, The Forester

What I am saying is talk to people and see if you can share transport if you are stuck, even if you are just going out for a days caching.

HH makes a very good point here..... <rest of post deleted to save space :P >

Any chance you could come down to Bedfordshire and pick me up? :P:P

Seriously, though.... I'm sorely tempted to join you for the clamber up the mountain (if an old sassenach would be welcome). I climbed it when I was younger (back in the '60s) and I'm sure I'm still fit enough to tackle it again. The only problem is the lonely overnight blast up the M1/M6/etc... If anyone from down south fancies a challenge, can get a pass out from their significant other for the weekend and can put up with my company, it may well swing the balance....

Seriously, though.... I'm sorely tempted to join you for the clamber up the mountain (if an old sassenach would be welcome). I climbed it when I was younger (back in the '60s) and I'm sure I'm still fit enough to tackle it again. The only problem is the lonely overnight blast up the M1/M6/etc... If anyone from down south fancies a challenge, can get a pass out from their significant other for the weekend and can put up with my company, it may well swing the balance....

Your more than welcome to come up the mountain, I would offer you good tidings at my abode but TartanT and Myself are actually camping out at Glen Nevis that night.

No one told me about an apres-cache pissup? and I for one wont be having a swally or three of the amber nectar at the apres-cache. I'll be thinking more of a big bowl of soup and a large helping of bread after an 8 hour hike. I think drinking will be the last thing on my mind, it'll more clean sheets and a warm duvet after a night in a tent at the foot of Ben Nevis. But if Forester is offering to buy me a swally or three some other time I'd be only to glad to drink them as long as he drives me home.

... the wee man is more than welcome as far as I'm concerned ... how is he being carried? .... the reason I ask is that if I get knackered can I hop in and join him :P:P:P

I would be obliged if you can get me details of "The Red Fox" as I cant seem to find it!?

Unfortunately, wee man is on legs! Or on his Dads shoulders when he slows down too much! We do have his old buggy in the shed though - could take that along for you if you like!

Seriously, sometimes he is incredibly slow and if that's the case on the day then we'll sit out of the longer or more physical ones and wait for the rest of you to do them! Looking at the terrain description for "Waterfall and Ruin" and "WHW Day 7" I think those would be no-nos for him in any case.

"The Red Fox" is in Ballachulish - GC9BAB - does that help?

By the way, we would have a spare seat in our car if anyone is interested but I think we're planning on going up on the 14th and camping out too.

In the military we have a saying don't forget your 7 P's

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance. :P:P

Had to laugh when I read this - Mr Allieballie (the Pic) regularly comes out with this quote. He's ex-army too - must indeed be a commonly used phrase in the services!

Hi The Haunted and allieballie,

great... that is the sort of feed back I need ... from what I can see we could leave those two.... "Waterfall and Ruin" and "WHW Day 7".... to the last and let those who want to do them get on with them LOL.

That still leaves us with four...maybe five if "The Red Fox" can be fitted in...and considering I have managed four caches in the one day only once before....so I might not even manage that amount LOL.

Also, we can maybe decide to share a car to travel to the cache sites as I have an Astra which can take five reasonably!!

But we still have a bit of time to sort out which, where and in what order before the 15th of August :(

Just keep the feed back coming :(:wacko::D

Ullium.

:( Sorry but I'm going to have to miss this one. I'm nowhere near the fitness level needed for Ben Nevis.

Plus my mother is decending on me for the week so I have to do the tourist stuff, tattoo etc.

:( Sorry, hope you all have a great day :wacko:

JackieC

:D Sorry but I'm going to have to miss this one. I'm nowhere near the fitness level needed for Ben Nevis.

Plus my mother is decending on me for the week so I have to do the tourist stuff, tattoo etc.

:D Sorry, hope you all have a great day :D

JackieC

Doing the Tattoo?? You will be sat right above a cache!!!!! :D:(

Sorry you can't make it though. :wacko::(

Doing the Tattoo?? You will be sat right above a cache!!!!!  :(  :D

Sorry you can't  make it though.  :(  :wacko:

I hope sitting on a cache at the tattoo isn't going to be as painful as a week of listening to my mother!! :D

Totally off topic, but I've never been to the tattoo before, are there any good places to park nearby? :D

Just found a Ben Nevis webcam, I don't think I'll be able to get a decent shot of you all, it too far away and only refreshes hourly, but I'll keep checking it just in case.

JackieC :D

Edited by JackieC

The-Haunted

I was thinking it would be best to pre-book as individuals just to make sure we get a pitch. They dont take group bookings at this time of year which is a pity because we could have got all the tents together. Maybe those camping at the site could meet up on the Saturday night for a chinwag.

Well all being well and presumably with a favourable forecast there will be a Southwest contingent coming up to Scotland to climb (Or stagger or crawl :( ) up Ben Nevis. :P

Myself (Representing Cornwall) and Stuey (Devon) are definately coming and we are hoping for at least one more of the Southwest finest to join us yet.

We intend to travel up overnight on Friday, Doing a few caches as we pass them on the way into Fort William and camping overnight Sat/Sun at Glen-Nevis.

So we look forward to meeting some of Scotland's finest on the campsite Saturday evening and on the slopes on the Sunday.

Cheers

Mike

All those who are not climbing Ben Nevis...could you give me some idea of when you might arrive at the Kinghouse Hotel for a meet up before we set off on our day's geocaching ??

Depending on how early we can set off (presumably sharing transport) and when the others will be expected to get to the Kinghouse Hotel will set the time we have to bag as many caches as possible....orgainising them in a way that leaves a bit of flexibility :D

Ullium.

Well all being well and presumably with a favourable forecast there will be a Southwest contingent coming up to Scotland to climb (Or stagger or crawl :D ) up Ben Nevis. B)

Myself (Representing Cornwall) and Stuey (Devon) are definately coming and we are hoping for at least one more of the Southwest finest to join us yet.

We intend to travel up overnight on Friday, Doing a few caches as we pass them on the way into Fort William and camping overnight Sat/Sun at Glen-Nevis.

So we look forward to meeting some of Scotland's finest on the campsite Saturday evening and on the slopes on the Sunday.

Cheers

Mike

Just met Mike (Molinnis Crew) this evening for the first time to discuss this crazy day out, and yes... it's true. We're covering 1,300 miles to Scotland and back with the main intention of doing the Ben Nevis cache (and meeting up with lots of Scots cachers of course). Gonna try to find person #3 to help share the costs of fuel and camping now.

Mad fools that we are :D

p.s. nice to meet you and the family Mike. Next stop, Scotland!!! I've already met Haggis Hunter earlier this year. It'll be good to meet you again.

I was thinking of making the meet an event cache. there won't be any swaps or a log book. What you would have to do is register yourself with myself or Ullium in the morning or at the Kingshouse hotel afterwards. This would then allow you to log it as a find. TB's however are more than welcome ;) .

Your thoughts on this please Ladies & Gentlemen. ;)

Excellent idea ;)

Was thinking about suggesting this myself.

Also I have e-mailed Postie as he is hoping to go up there on Thursday to replace the Micro with an Ammo box. I suggested that he left both the micro and Ammo box up there so that cachers have two things to find although only counting as one find.

He has e-mailed me back saying he is thinking on putting the micro up higher so as above snow cover in winter, and obviously the ammo box on ground level for summer.

So we could have two boxs to find. B)B)

Cheers

Mike

I was thinking of making the meet an event cache. there won't be any swaps or a log book. What you would have to do is register yourself with myself or Ullium in the morning or at the Kingshouse hotel afterwards.

Darn it, you really want me to come HH, don't you? B)

Event cache. Hm. Well. I'll see what I can do. ;)

Postie's latest notice

12/07/2004 by Postie

Weather permitting I hope to come up here on Thursday the 15th of July to replace the film canister with a proper size cache. I will leave an ammo can container... but I may need to change the hiding place, so keep a watch here to see if the co-ords change.

makes it even more appealing.

Roolku

Postie's latest notice

12/07/2004 by Postie

Weather permitting I hope to come up here on Thursday the 15th of July to replace the film canister with a proper size cache. I will leave an ammo can container.

makes it even more appealing.

Roolku

Shame Postie can't do it on the 15th August and we could all meet him up there and walk back down together.

All those who are not climbing Ben Nevis...could you give me some idea of when you might arrive at the Kinghouse Hotel for a meet up before we set off on our day's geocaching ??

Hmmm.. not good at making decisions! How about you suggest a time and we'll be there?!

Was wondering whether making this day out an event cache will have an effect on where we start from? e.g. Glen Nevis campsite or the Kingshouse?

Hmmm.. not good at making decisions! How about you suggest a time and we'll be there?!

Was wondering whether making this day out an event cache will have an effect on where we start from? e.g. Glen Nevis campsite or the Kingshouse?

Don't worry I have got the cache page typed up. I will submit it in the next few days. I think I have solved the meeting up and time part, I'm just waiting for Ullium to get back to me with some feedback.

Well all being well and presumably with a favourable forecast there will be a Southwest contingent coming up to Scotland to climb (Or stagger or crawl ;) ) up Ben Nevis. :D

Two more Sassinaks will be joining myself and Mike for the 1000+ mile trip to Bonnie Scotland. Woodworm and Douglouse have got the go-ahead and are looking forward to it! As am I!

Sadly it looks like the marmal will be otherwise engaged on August 15th and will not make either event. :P

However, being a farsighted creature I wondered if anyone has given thought to next year's Scottish Cache Bash? I'd like to get involved in this, as I really enjoyed my day out at this year's event. Given the comment earlier about the Borders can I suggest that it should be somewhere in Southern Scotland this time? The far North East is well served for caches as are Edinburgh and Perth, but the South East could certainly stand getting a few more!

Lots of nice wee towns, great walks, places of historical interest - what does everyone think?

I'll put this in a new thread, but I thought this one might be a good place to canvas some opinion! Please make your replies to the dedicated thread and not here - I don't want to sidetrack Haggis Hunter's thread. :P

If I do, I might end up in some of his micros!! :)

Cheers,

marmal

I've been trying to work out how I could possible get to Ben Nevis for this! maybe we can work something out???

Bob Aldridge

I've been trying to work out how I could possible get to Ben Nevis for this! maybe we can work something out???

Bob Aldridge

Have replied via e-mail :o

I'll put this in a new thread, but I thought this one might be a good place to canvas some opinion! Please make your replies to the dedicated thread and not here - I don't want to sidetrack Haggis Hunter's thread. :blink:

If I do, I might end up in some of his micros!! :D

Cheers,

marmal

It's not my thread it's FoF's :lol::lol:

It's a pity that you can't make it though, you could have gave me a lift to the top :P

Its great to return from holiday and see that everything is organised for a grand day out in August. Thanks very much to Haggis Hunter and Ullium. I'm hoping that one or more cachers will be willing to do a wee write up of the event for the online geocaching mag at www.geocachingtoday.com. Keep it in mind.

Geocaching is, after all, all about altruism.  We help eachother all the time.  It's the fundamental basis of geocaching.  It's a selfless thing.

I belatedly made a tentative hint to a fellow geocacher that I might enjoy being offered a lift to Aviemore, but was brusquely rebuffed with "I wouldn't want to cart you around" (sic).  I don't think that is a representative or widespread attitude amongst the geocaching community.  I asked the wrong person.  I think most cachers would do better than that.

I was demoralised from asking any others and so I set the concept to one side.

I think the car sharing thing is a really good idea. There are times when I want to cache on my own but most of the time I enjoy the company of others.

From my experience the cachers I have come accross are generous and would offer lifts overnight accomodation etc.

For example Seasiders IOM challenge was made a lot easier by the generousity of others.

Having stuck my thumb out a lot in my youth I can say that most people are willing to help others just alittle scared of making the first aproach.

Oh and yes I do give hitch hikers a lift (so long as they ain't carrying trade plates)